PDA

View Full Version : Im so lonesome I could cry - Aloha from Hawaii rehearsal concert. Is Elvis crying?

Nicole Presley
10-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Not too long ago I bought the DVD "Aloha from Hawaii" where even the rehearsal concert is on it. And yesterday Ive watched it. When he sings "Im so lonesome I could cry" it looks like he would be crying. Maybe its just sweat running down his face, but I dont think sweat can come right out of his left eye. Is he maybe crying? He looks very sad.

YouTube - ELVIS I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Best Picture & Sound Quality)

cibetty
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
There was a similar thread about this (if he ever cried on stage). And most of the fans said he was just sweating. But this song really made me think as well. Very emotional performance for sure, it really seems there were tears in his eyes. And I didn't see it when he sang it on the final satellite concert. Anyways I hope you like the DVD Nicole! (y) (y) (y) I think it's fantastic, and the rehearsal concert is one of my favourites.

ph10579
10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Could you imagine him singing this on "Elvis in Concert"? People might of think of it as a cry for help?

Jimmy1966
10-11-2009, 02:01 PM
he also cries whilst singing 'are you lonesome tonight?' on the lost performances DVD when you listen you can even hear him sniffle...he was big enough to cry..god bless him..

Tommy
10-11-2009, 02:08 PM
It was sweat!

Graceland1
10-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Elvis has said: "(...) that's probably the sadest song I've ever heard". He could cry and I think, he did it.
Maybe he couldn't hide his tears...

Wild_In_The_Country
10-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I think its a tear! as elvis said "im an emotional SOB"

Tony Trout
10-11-2009, 08:52 PM
It's sweat, that's all - just sweat.

cbg84
10-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Though I think that there were times that he cried and maybe even on stage but I would have to agree that I think in this case I think it's just sweat.

boogie
10-12-2009, 04:15 AM
It's sweat, no question about

Erhan
10-12-2009, 05:35 AM
it's not only a sweat. Otherwise that was very strange coincidence.
We saw elvis sweating many times we never thought he is crying except few occasions...IMHO...

henri
10-12-2009, 05:40 AM
i think sweat

beckelvis
10-12-2009, 06:35 AM
It was sweat!
I agree with you friend

Graceland1
10-12-2009, 08:12 AM
OK, only Elvis knows the truth ;)

Nicole Presley
10-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe it is just sweat running down his face. But his eyes look wet somehow when he first sings "Im so lonesome I could cry". Dont you think so. Maybe it was sweat, but his eyes were wet & that means hes at least almost crying.

debtdbruno
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
He was already sweating when he started the song.
Not to say he didn't find it an emotional song though

Dany
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
From the first time I watched it. I not think to be tears.

Lonniebealestreet
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
It is a question worth asking and a tear is often depicted in those black velvet paintings (I think there might have been a moment in the broadcast show when it looked this way too, among many other occasions) but in my opinion it is pure coincidence; it is sweat.

Coincidence may be a strong word though...It is not in the least bit unlikely for perspiration from the side of one's forehead to roll past the eyebrow and then back inward towards the eye (essentially reaching it), and pooling up under it a bit perhaps before running on down the cheek, which would obviously look like that. I guess it is well timed though. But look in the mirror or just trace the contours of your face with your finger and you will see this. Or...if you remain doubtful and are so inclined :lol: drip some water up there from your forehead.

Who says Elvis fans obsess about the minutiae? :P

If I'm not mistaken though, when the light hits it right you can clearly see this is all that's happening. Seeing Is Believing.

SleepyJack
10-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Whatever happens don`t look at "Just pretend" from "That`s the way it was"..... :whistling:whistling:whistling

Lisarose
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Whatever happens don`t look at "Just pretend" from "That`s the way it was"..... :whistling:whistling:whistling

YouTube - just pretend elvis presley

Double Dog Dare if I ever heard one!
No, just sweat --> but we could say that he was crying
because he was a really great actor playing a part!

Tony Trout
10-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Maybe it is just sweat running down his face. But his eyes look wet somehow when he first sings "Im so lonesome I could cry". Dont you think so. Maybe it was sweat, but his eyes were wet & that means hes at least almost crying.

No, it doesn't. It's simply sweat - nothing more. And it's an absolute coincidence that this happened during this song. You can tell he's even joking around about crying when he finishes the first verse.

Once again, it's a case of people reading more into something that is/isn't there.

There's no way that Elvis would've cried in front of 6,500 people.

Lisarose
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
No, it doesn't. It's simply sweat - nothing more. And it's an absolute coincidence that this happened during this song. You can tell he's even joking around about crying when he finishes the first verse.

Once again, it's a case of people reading more into something that is/isn't there.

There's no way that Elvis would've cried in front of 6,500 people.

Oh now, I believe he was moved to tears when he greeted the young fan on stage - the little girl who was blind. I could be wrong, but I could swear there was some moisture.

cibetty
10-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Oh now, I believe he was moved to tears when he greeted the young fan on stage - the little girl who was blind. I could be wrong, but I could swear there was some moisture.

Is there a video about this? I'm just curious.

Erhan
10-13-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm So Lonsome I Could Cry (More Close Up HD Version)
Better go to youtube page and watch it full screen and don't forget the click HD button & rate the video :(

cibetty
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm So Lonsome I Could Cry (More Close Up HD Version)
Better go to youtube page and watch it full screen and don't forget the click HD button & rate the video :(
YouTube - ELVIS I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Best Picture & Sound Quality) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7iasdKi5-8)

Thank you! I know the video, I already rated it! (y) (y) (y) I knew the song from the DVD and you did a fantastic job! Nicole has already posted it at the beginning of this thread. I thought about that scene when Elvis met a blind girl on a concert, what Lisa mentioned. Does anyone know if it was filmed? I know it is not the subject of this thread, I'm just curious. I saw only picture about it.

Tony Trout
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM

The incident with the little girl who was blind happened during 1975. There is a picture of this probably here on the boards somewhere in the gallery.

Elvis didn't know that she was blind until Charlie told him & then he kissed the scarf and placed it around her neck - but that's not what this particular thread is about.

I'll say it again: That was sweat running down Elvis's face during "I'm So Lonesome, I Could Cry" and nothing more than just sweat. There were no tears whatsoever.

Genie
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I think its a tear! as elvis said "im an emotional SOB"

;)

I think that the part where he says "I'm an emotional SOB" is very true..lol but he was also very much in control at that point.. many concerts and or close ups of the films looks like he is crying...
People those lights are HOT! And Elvis was all man, (meaning they tend to sweat a lot) add to that a possibly very hot outfit, and sweat would pour down his face, down his chest and back.
I have heard that he was teased about the sweat washing away his gently applied eye makeup, so he was asked to "Blot" not wipe...PLEASE........
Certainly there might have been a song in public a time or two where there really was a tear, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which one that was..
possibly "How Great Thou Art" Indianapolis show.:'(

debtdbruno
10-14-2009, 05:50 AM
It's no wonder he sweated........heat from the lights, weight of the costume, and working hard.......LOL

karlos
10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
i would say he could be crying - it could be a cry for help -

but to be honest -
i just assume tho- its just sweat tho from the heat of lights and auditorium -

i have watched this piece of footage many times on the 2 dvd set that i own .
its a historic piece of concert footage( the complete dvd ) that will be around and watched again by many fans for years to come .

elvispresleytheking
10-14-2009, 07:25 AM
He also seems to be crying during "AN AMerican Trilogy" during the actual show, during "All My Trials"

navechesalpa
10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
It was sweat!

Absolutely he was sweating.

Tony Trout
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
He also seems to be crying during "AN AMerican Trilogy" during the actual show, during "All My Trials"

No, that was also sweat. Geez....:doh:

Erhan
10-17-2009, 01:58 AM
You see that he is very emotional while he sing that song.
He smile when he sing "No one would care, no one would cry If I should live or die" but he looks like he is crying.
if you think crying is weakness you smile for hiding you weakness that's the rule
Elvis was also smile when he sing about his big ambitious...
YouTube - ELVIS What Now My Love (Best Picture & Sound Quality)

Brian
10-17-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm so lonesome I could cry is a sad song but it isn't that sad!!!

Erhan
10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm so lonesome I could cry is a sad song but it isn't that sad!!!
You better Walk A Mile In His Shoes :))

Merry
10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
if you think crying is weakness you smile for hiding you weakness that's the rule

I don't think it is Erhan, I think it's manly.

Merry
10-17-2009, 02:09 PM
i would say he could be crying - it could be a cry for help -

but to be honest -
i just assume tho- its just sweat tho from the heat of lights and auditorium -

i have watched this piece of footage many times on the 2 dvd set that i own .
its a historic piece of concert footage( the complete dvd ) that will be around and watched again by many fans for years to come .

The heat from the lights would be oppressive.

spanish eyes
10-17-2009, 02:49 PM
You see that he is very emotional while he sing that song.
He smile when he sing "No one would care, no one would cry If I should live or die" but he looks like he is crying.
Elvis was also smile when he sing about his big ambitious...
YouTube - ELVIS What Now My Love (Best Picture & Sound Quality) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6WQwdobLk)

IMO crying isn't a weakness to me it takes great strength to show your emotions especially if you're a man cos of the so called "rule" I want to break that rule, sorry going off track a little here. I think its natural for Elvis to cry while singing such a sad song cos he sings it from his heart and puts all his emotions into it, IMO that's one of the things that makes him so real, for me when this happens the image disappears and there stands the man :)

Erhan
10-17-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't think it is Erhan, I think it's manly.
Yes it is of course manly Elvis was a romantic Macho men
YouTube - ELVIS What Now My Love (Best Picture & Sound Quality)

Merry
10-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes it is of course manly Elvis was a romantic Macho men

Hmmmmmmmm you know, there is something very wrong with our culture in my opinion, with the thought of raising our young men to be hard (don't cry....blahh blahhh, it makes the women hard, too). Teaching our children to be hard, is what ruins relationships between men and women (is the couch comfortable? rofl :lol: :D) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) :D

Brian
10-17-2009, 05:48 PM
You better Walk A Mile In His Shoes :))

YouTube - ELVIS I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Best Picture & Sound Quality) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7iasdKi5-8)

Elvis wasn't crying

monk37
10-18-2009, 10:54 AM
apparently when he recorded If I Can Dream

he was so overwhelmed with emotion that he recorded it on his knees

debtdbruno
10-18-2009, 01:59 PM
He laid in a 'fetal' position on the floor to record IICD

Erhan
10-18-2009, 04:53 PM
apparently when he recorded If I Can Dream

he was so overwhelmed with emotion that he recorded it on his knees