PDA

View Full Version : George Klein keeps Elvis duets

Sonny
10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
George Klein keeps Elvis duets: On his show on Sirius Radio this Friday, George Klein once again mentioned that he has in his possession, three unreleased duets of Elvis singing 'Blue Suede Shoes' with legendary Carl Perkins, 'Help Me' with Country singer, Larry Gatlin and 'Guitar Man' with the great Jerry Reed.
The duets were recorded in the 80's and Klein claims they were to form a duets album called 'Elvis & Friends' but Parker put a stop to the project before more duets could be recorded. The tapes were given to Klein by the widow
of Elvis producer, Felton Jarvis. The radio DJ, said in an interview with Elvis Australia in 2008 that he offered the tapes to RCA but they were not interested?
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files/George-Klein.jpg
On Friday's show Klein said he refuses to hand over the tapes until SONY come up with the right offer. Klein also claims to have in his possession a tape of raw material from the 1969 American Sound Sessions and a never before heard interview.

If these claims are true, we say Klein should hand over the tapes and stop with the pay up attitude so that SONY can get these released and the fans can get to hear these recordings. After all, don't RCA/BMG/SONY own the tapes anyway? (News, Source: Elvis Express Radio (http://www.elvis-express.com/))

KPM
10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I would think its possible Sony/BMG/RCA would have a right to these tapes-but if the producer did not give them to the label because the project was cancelled-who owns them may be in question.

Brian
10-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Ernst said when this story came out a year ago on the Elvis information Network that Klein had offered him these songs before but he turned him down.

I would think Sony does own the tapes because the duets were of songs that Elvis had already recorded for RCA.

Marty Lacker also said that he talked to Chips Moman about the unsweetened songs from the American session and Chips told him that if George tried to sell them that he would sue George.

fascinating back and forth

I read about this on the Elvis information network.

KPM
10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Ernst said when this story came out a year ago on the Elvis information Network that Klein had offered him these songs before but he turned him down.

I would think Sony does own the tapes because the duets were of songs that Elvis had already recorded for RCA.

Marty Lacker also said that he talked to Chips Moman about the unsweetened songs from the American session and Chips told him that if George tried to sell them that he would sue George.

fascinating back and forth

I read about this on the Elvis information network.
I would think they do also to be honest. But if they do own them-shouldnt they have the original remixed duets in their vaulths?
Surely Klein was not given the original tapes.

Brian
10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I would think they do also to be honest. But if they do own them-shouldnt they have the original remixed duets in their vaulths?
Surely Klein was not given the original tapes.

I think Felton Jarvis or Javis' wife gave George Klein the tapes after the duet album was cancelled.

That would mean the actual tapes are his, but if he tried to sell them then Sony could sue him.

Jungleroom76
10-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I have to say that if this is indeed true, it certainly downgrades my feelings on George Klein. (n)

To sit there and say that he won't give up the tapes unless he is paid a lot of money is just wrong. I mean let's face it, without Elvis, would anyone even know who George Klein is?? I think George has done very well for himself throughout his lifetime because he was friends with Elvis and my guess is that he will continue to be very popular because of his friendship with Elvis. So...considering George has pretty much lived off of Elvis' coattails all of his life, perhaps he could ease up on the PAY ME LOTS OF $$$$ attitude... :mad:

But then of course, perhaps George really doesn't have the tapes he claims to have and is just making it up so that he has something important to say... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Raised on Rock
10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Well those would be jewels, and anybody could kill for them, if they where original recordings, like let's say that duet with Parkins taking place back at Sun Studios in the mid 50's, or if that duet with Jerry Reed was an actual outtake during the Nashville '67-'68 sessions when he played with Elvis, or the duet with Gatlin was a home recordings somewhere in the 70's. But more of those awful remixed stuff that Jarvis did in the early '80's? me not interested on them a bit, and obviously nobody at RCA/SONY/FTD either.

Brian
10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Well those would be jewels, and anybody could kill for them, if they where original recordings, like let's say that duet with Parkins taking place back at Sun Studios in the mid 50's, or if that duet with Jerry Reed was an actual outtake during the Nashville '67-'68 sessions when he played with Elvis, or the duet with Gatlin was a home recordings somewhere in the 70's. But more of those awful remixed stuff that Jarvis did in the early '80's? me not interested on them a bit, and obviously nobody at RCA/SONY/FTD either.

It was supposedly a follow up project to The Guitar Man project from 1980

Felton Jarvis took Larry Gaitlin's voice on his recording of help me and then took Elvis voice from the same song and blended them together using studio production techniques.
to make it sound like they were doing a duet.

Same thing with Jerry Reed and Carl Perkins.

it isn't outtakes of Elvis and Jerry Reed dueting from 1967 or of Elvis and Carl Perkins dueting in the 50's.

KPM
10-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Felton Jarvis took Larry Gaitlin's voice on his recording of help me and then took Elvis voice from the same song and blended them together using studio production techniques.

it isn't outtakes of Elvis and Jerry Reed dueting from 1967 or of Elvis and Carl Perkins dueting in the 50's.
Actually the other problem would be the same problem that kept the Million Dollar Quartet tapes from being released-getting clearances to use Perkins, Reed, and Gatlins recordings.
RCA for years tried to get the proper okay from Perkins, Lewis and Cash on the MD Quartet recordings and it would be the same with this if Sony got the tapes.
The simple solution would be to just do it again as Jarvis did in 1980-get the clearances from the interested parties and just mix the duets. Klein does not own the original Elvis recordings and does not own the others recordings so you get the same result and bypass him totally,
So since Sony is not doing this.... I would assume they have little interest in them at this time to start with.

Brian
10-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Actually the other problem would be the same problem that kept the Million Dollar Quartet tapes from being released-getting clearances to use Perkins, Reed, and Gatlins recordings.
RCA for years tried to get the proper okay from Perkins, Lewis and Cash on the MD Quartet recordings and it would be the same with this if Sony got the tapes.
The simple solution would be to just do it again as Jarvis did in 1980-get the clearances from the interested parties and just mix the duets. Klein does not own the original Elvis recordings and does not own the others recordings so you get the same result and bypass him totally,
So since Sony is not doing this.... I would assume they have little interest in them at this time to start with.

I also think coming out with this duets project in the early 80's would've been a better idea than now.

Gatlin and Reed were more popular in the early 80's than they are now so I don't think coming out with a CD of Elvis dueting with them in the year 2010 would do very well.

Jungleroom76
10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I also think coming out with this duets project in the early 80's would've been a better idea than now.

Gatlin and Reed were more popular in the early 80's than they are now so I don't think coming out with a CD of Elvis dueting with them in the year 2010 would do very well.

That is an EXCELLENT point Brian!!! (y)

As a commercial release, I don't think it would do well...but of course, Elvis fans would be curious enough to hear it to buy it. ;)

TCB!
Mike

Brian
10-08-2009, 02:16 PM
That is an EXCELLENT point Brian!!! (y)

As a commercial release, I don't think it would do well...but of course, Elvis fans would be curious enough to hear it to buy it. ;)

TCB!
Mike

I think the die hard fans would so this could be a good release for FTD

Sony doesn't want to pay out royalties or get permission from the artists involved just for the general public not to buy it.
So they turned Klein down and told him to shut up about the tapes.

Does anybody know who was involved in this project besides Larry Gatlin, Carl Perkins and Jerry Reed?
I know Waylon Jennings was asked to be involved but he turned it down.

U.S. Male
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
George Klein appears to be just another one of those "what's in it for me" and "all about me" individuals that are spoiling the Elvis fan world....quite pathetic (n)

rocknroll
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Once a hack, always a hack.

Jungleroom76
10-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I think the die hard fans would so this could be a good release for FTD

Another excellent point!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Tommy
10-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't care to hear Elvis voice mixed up with anyone else's after his passing.

Raised on Rock
10-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Yes I know that, and I do dislike the sound of those early 80's remixes, that why I said: not interested at all in those tapes Klein claims to own.