PDA

View Full Version : PRE-ORDER From Sunset to Vegas FTD CD

TCB4ELVIS
09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
From Sunset to Vegas is a 2-disc set in FTD’S 5" digipack format. The main body of the release is the rehearsal recorded at RCA’s studio on Sunset Blvd on August 16, 1974. There is a bonus section on Disc 2 with 10 live recordings from Elvis’ Las Vegas engagement in August/September 1974.

http://www.shopelvis.com/Product.aspx?cp=796_14047&pc=EPCD160

Lonniebealestreet
09-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Definitely ESSENTIAL if you do not have these rehearsals already. Some of the bonus material is 'out there' too for sure, but I'm not sure about every track. The sound is supposed to be improved even if you do have this (http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=1338&highlight=sunset) or one of its derivatives.

Enjoy this rehearsal version of Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues, a personal favorite of mine which I even prefer over the single live performance of it (in spite of its revealing comments inserted by Elvis). I just love this. Thx for the video, marco310768 on YT.

YouTube - Good time Charlie's got the blues (Rehearsal. August 16, 1974)

It's funny, by the way, that they chose the title with apparent inspiration from the bootleg. :P

From Sunset to Vegas
Track Listing

Disc 1
August '74
The Rehearsal – Recorded at RCA’s Studios, Hollywood. August 16, 1974
1. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) Version 1
2. If You Love Me (Let Me Know). Version 2
3. Promised Land. Version 1
4. Promised Land. Version 2
5. Down In The Alley. Version 1
6. Down In The Alley. Version 2
7. It’s Midnight
8. Your Love’s Been A Long Time Coming
9. Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues
10. Softly As I Leave You. Version 1
11. Softly As I Leave You. Version 2
12. I’m Leavin'
13. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
14. Proud Mary
15. If You Talk In Your Sleep

Disc 2
The Rehearsal – continued
1. If You Love Me (Let Me Know). Version 3
2. If You Love Me (Let Me Know). Version 4
3. The Twelth Of Never
4. Faded Love
5. Just Pretend

The Live Recordings - Recorded live at The Las Vegas Hilton. August-September, 1974
6. Trying To Get To You
August 20 – Dinner show
7. Heartbreak Hotel
August 20 – Dinner show
8. Suspicious Minds
August 22 – Midnight show
9. Help Me
August 22 – Midnight Show
10. The Wonder Of You
August 27 – Midnight Show
11. American Trilogy
12. Elvis talking
13. Hawaiian Wedding Song
14. Elvis talking
15. It's Now Or Never
16. Bringin’ It Back (featuring Sherrill Nielsen as lead vocalist)
September 2 – Midnight Show
17. Aubrey (featuring Sherrill Nielsen as lead vocalist)
September 2 – Midnight Show

Musicians: Guitars: James Burton, John Wilkinson; Guitar and Vocals: Charlie Hodge; Bass: Duke Bardwell; Drums: Ronnie Tutt; Piano: Glen D. Hardin; Vocals: The Sweet Inspirations, J. D. Sumner & The Stamps, Kathy Westmoreland, Voice. Joe Guercio and his Orchestra.

franny
09-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks, for posting the track listings and all the info on this Bobby. (y)
I will add it to my list. :)
Also thanks for starting the thread and link TCB4ELVIS. (y)

franny

TCB4ELVIS
09-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks for posting the sample and track listing...can't wait to get a copy. I really like hearing Elvis in a more relax setting. In fact I don't like the studio version of Good time Charlie, but love this one you posted.

thanks

Lonniebealestreet
09-22-2009, 09:48 AM
You're both quite welcome.

I really like the rehearsals, outtakes and less formal stuff too.

Though I very much enjoy the studio version of GCGTB, I think the above version is special. Elvis sings it a bit differently in a way that really works. Also, I'm not normally a huge fan of Sh'rill ;) Nielsen's voice but his harmony vocal has a very nice effect on this run-through.

Lisarose
09-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for your review, I rather enjoy the rehearsals better even with all the horseplay and talk. I get a feel for the way he loved to work.
And I also agree with your opinion of Sh'rill's voice - not looking forward to hearing Aubrey! :blink: I'm amazed at the things that Elvis' enjoyed listening to!

debtdbruno
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
My favourite c.d.'s to listen to is rehersal material.
Love to hear him fooling around and working on how to get it as he wanted

Pacerstar
09-22-2009, 02:41 PM
You're both quite welcome.

I really like the rehearsals, outtakes and less formal stuff too.

Though I very much enjoy the studio version of GCGTB, I think the above version is special. Elvis sings it a bit differently in a way that really works. Also, I'm not normally a huge fan of Sh'rill ;) Nielsen's voice but his harmony vocal has a very nice effect on this run-through.

I always thought it so amusing that Elvis would want his audiences to hear
Sh'rill Nielsen's voice, when what they preferred was to hear Elvis sing!:lol::lol::lol::lol: