PDA

View Full Version : If you had to drive cross country with only 1 Elvis CD...what would it be??

howardrobardhughes
11-17-2004, 12:20 PM
If you had to drive cross country in your car...with only one Elvis CD to listen to over and over again...which one would it be??...or in other words..
what one Elvis CD do you recommend above all others...

Please...list only one... (h)

mine would be
"Moody Blue and Other Great Performances"

Lonniebealestreet
11-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Personally, I think the one Elvis CD I would recommend above all others--which would be extremely difficult to decide upon--would likely be different than the one CD I would pack for a cross-country drive.

In fact, I couldn't answer the question if posed that way.

But for the car ride, I'd probably take either the Promised Land or Moody Blue upgrade. I get quite a bit of mileage out of those two.

So many close runner-ups though!

carolynlm
11-17-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't go anywhere without the 'Today' album...

NightRider
11-17-2004, 03:40 PM
One heck of a hard decision there :blink: :lol:

There would be so many very close....but i guess i would go for The Memphis Record (y)

I would have said From Elvis In Memphis...but the later obviously has more tracks :)

Albert
11-17-2004, 03:51 PM
It's not my most popular CD, but it's one that I can listen to again and again and again: That's The Way It Is (special edition).

Great question (y)

Jungleroom76
11-17-2004, 04:00 PM
I'M WITH CAROLYNLM ON THIS ONE!!! (y)

It's got to be the original TODAY album, no question about it!!! (At least until FTD releases the upgraded version of TODAY!!) :D

TCB!
Mike

stilllovinelvis
11-17-2004, 04:51 PM
My personal favorite (at least for the last few months) is Elvis in Concert. I have to listen to it some every day. I couldn't recommend it as the ONLY cd to own above all others, but I'm enjoying it so much right now. I love See See Rider, That's All Right Mama, Trying to Get to You, I Got a Woman, Fairytale, Hurt, How Great Thou Art, and I Really Don't Want to Know to name a few.

Jungleroom76
11-17-2004, 07:51 PM
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!! ELVIS IN CONCERT IS A GREAT CD FOR SURE!!! (y)

If I couldn't take the TODAY CD with me, I would give ELVIS IN CONCERT serious consideration!!!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Mr. Songman
11-17-2004, 09:26 PM
I recently had to do this and it is a very hard decision to make. Whenever I travel, I never take any of my original import or FTD cd's. They never leave my "Elvis Room." I usually take some BMG releases. From Elvis Presley Blvd would surely be at the top of the list, but I usually take something from one of the box sets because there is more to listen to. I know that I am silly for saying this but I wonder if anyone else does this......
I never put an Elvis concert on as background music. I ALWAYS play a concert when I have time to sit down and listen through my head phones. Usually very early in the morning on weekends with my morning coffee. Is anyone else like this or am I the only weird one?

New Jam
11-17-2004, 09:43 PM
This is one choice I would not want to make. Love every phase of his career to much. Be it 50's, 60's, 70's, soundtracks and concerts, they all have to come with me, and with a 40 gig ipod, most do! (y) (h) (y)

Jeff

carolynlm
11-17-2004, 10:23 PM
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!! ELVIS IN CONCERT IS A GREAT CD FOR SURE!!! (y)

If I couldn't take the TODAY CD with me, I would give ELVIS IN CONCERT serious consideration!!!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike
O.K. Mike, here's an idea, we both travel together, you take 'Elvis In Concert', I'll take 'The Jungle Room Sessions' and we can sing the 'Today' album......I'm sure we both know each and every little sound on it, we won't miss a beat....... (y)

Paulie1971
11-17-2004, 11:33 PM
9 out of 10 times I have the FTD 'Elvis live on stage in Memphis' playing when I drive! (y)

elvis1970nl
11-18-2004, 12:23 AM
I always have the "Today" album with me. So that is my pick.

JerryNodak
11-18-2004, 01:01 AM
If I had to choose just one I'd take the "Moody Blue" upgrade. It's really two albums in one. Well, almost.

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-18-2004, 01:38 AM
It's not my most popular CD, but it's one that I can listen to again and again and again: That's The Way It Is (special edition).

Great question (y)

Totally agree!!

Mikey79
11-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Well, for me it wouldn't be such a hard choise to make. I'd most certainly choose the "From Elvis In Memphis (remastered + bonus)" CD. Just because I love it so much.

Mikey

boogie
11-18-2004, 09:16 AM
for me, it would be "Suspicious Minds, the memphis 1969 anthology"...
Always a copy of that in my car (y)

Sonny
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
This all depends on where you live, I guess. :D

If it's in Luxemburg you could settle with less than when you live in Russia ( ;) Elena)

Anyway, no matter the distance, at this point I'd go for "On Stage In Memphis".

Sonny

geordie
11-18-2004, 12:15 PM
mindblowing question.So many to choose from but Ithink it would have to be the last c.d.[SHOW]from the 70s box setBRILLIANT. :clap: :worthy:

curtis simpkins
11-18-2004, 10:56 PM
It has to be with me is the "Today" album. if i had to take one cd.

but then i can make a good mp3 cd with all of my favorite Elvis albums. (y)

carolynlm
11-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey Curtis, this car of ours is getting pretty full of 'Today' enthusiasts....might have to get ourselves a bus...... :)

curtis simpkins
11-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah i know. :D

a very big bus. :D

rick
11-19-2004, 02:06 AM
I'd cheat and take the 70s box set

JerryNodak
11-19-2004, 02:37 AM
Carolynlm: I love the "Today" album. But until FTD does an upgrade of this album(hopefully) as a part of their classic album series w/the original tracks plus outtakes/alternates the running time is to short to take on a long trip(imo).

Paulie1971
11-19-2004, 02:41 AM
Thanks Sonny, finally some-one who agrees with me :D

carolynlm
11-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Carolynlm: I love the "Today" album. But until FTD does an upgrade of this album(hopefully) as a part of their classic album series w/the original tracks plus outtakes/alternates the running time is to short to take on a long trip(imo).
Yes, you are right...but if I had to just take one CD, then that would be it. It's the same thing as someone saying you could only keep one of your Elvis CD's, (God forbid) which one would you choose......It would be the Today album for me. And yes, it definately needs an upgrade FTD style. One day.....

NEA
11-19-2004, 02:00 PM
ditto Boogie - 'Memphis 69 Anthology' for me too!

P.S. Annie
11-20-2004, 02:39 AM
For me it's the Memphis Sessions. I'm sorry we are not in the same car Carolyn :'( and Mike.

carolynlm
11-20-2004, 04:03 AM
That's O.K. Annie, we are in the car behind you with a CB radio going, we can alternate songs from each album. "Looks like we got ourselves a convoy'...... (y)

EP4MEUK
11-20-2004, 04:23 AM
I am with you on this one Rick love the set in fact I am playing it right now:clap:

love and peace,
Susan.

P.S. Annie
11-20-2004, 07:49 AM
That's O.K. Annie, we are in the car behind you with a CB radio going, we can alternate songs from each album. "Looks like we got ourselves a convoy'...... (y)

O yeah, something like Canonball Run :D

Jungleroom76
11-24-2004, 04:52 PM
For me it's the Memphis Sessions. I'm sorry we are not in the same car Carolyn :'( and Mike.

NO PROBLEM P.S. ANNIE!!! ;)

We'll just keep on following you until FTD releases their upgrade of the TODAY album....then we can ALL carpool!!!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

geordie
11-24-2004, 05:31 PM

Great question (y)

Well done albert you got away with it for a while T.T.W.I.I special is 3 discs :nono: what a cheat :worthy:

Lildarling
11-25-2004, 03:56 AM
mhhhhm-I guess my choice would be "Essential Elvis" :clap: :clap: :clap:

circa1956
11-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Have any of you seen "Motor Mouth" on VH1? Where they film the people driving and singing along to music on the radio because they think they're alone? I'd bust out "The Elvis Hand" on like every song lol :D

Mine would have to either be, because I really cannot decide, the Memphis Sessions...I think that's what they're called...Don't kill me...I have a burnt copy of it and it's unlabeled. I love "Any Day Now" and "Do You Know Who I Am" (?--no label so I can just make up my own song titles!) and "Wearin' That Loved On Look" and "Only the Strong Survive". I heard the version with the "BOY!" backing vocals...eh...um...why did they have to put that on the track?! I loved it without! I only own about 15 Elvis albums (mostly compilations) because I have to do my major shopping at Wal-Mart and FYE...so the selection sucks because I have just about every CD they've put out. So that OR, because his voice is so gorgeous and full of feeling on just about every song: Peace In the Valley (The Complete Gospel Recordings) which I thankfully do own.

- Stace

kennyelvis
11-27-2004, 01:04 AM

Ha ha ha, i think i would have done the same as you :clap: :clap:
But for a change, i would have taken the 60`s box set :D

curtis simpkins
11-27-2004, 11:07 PM
well if has to be on cd,
how about an mp3 cd with lot of your favorite Elvis album's :D

ComeBackChick
12-05-2004, 08:20 AM
The Burning Love album!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :worthy:

paulsweeney
12-05-2004, 10:46 AM
One isn't enough ;) But if I had to it would be Elvis Is Back from 1960.

EagleUSA
12-07-2004, 10:04 PM
First, I wouldn't be caught dead without at least two dozen Elvis cd's in my car. Secondly, I've had to drive (nearly) cross country this past year. The one cd that got played the most was "Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden". There's just so much variety on it, and it remains a personal favorite after all these years.

LeMond
03-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I would take the FTD-cd Spring tours '77.
It's the only one I got in my car at the moment anyway. :P

Elena/The Russian EP Fan Club
03-22-2005, 01:55 AM
I would take 'Suspicious Minds: The Memphis 1969 Anthology' because I always take these 2CDs on my trips. And... 'So High' FTD. Yes.

jason7890
03-22-2005, 01:24 PM
ultimate gospel, i am not a religious freak but it is so relaxing and beutiful to listen to. (y)

TCE
03-24-2005, 05:03 AM
It's a tough decicion to make, because I like live cd's, studio outtakes etc. (Anything where you can hear Elvis having fun.) But I think I would choose "raw" or a gospel album. (It doesn't matter whch one, because all the gospel albums are great.)

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

rick
03-25-2005, 08:29 PM
I think Id opt for the Memphis Record, but I'd suggest carpooling so we could have five choices!

rick

Manhattoe
03-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Hard choice.

The Suspicious Minds release recommends itself, as does the Elvis Country album, but because of its versatility I would pick The 68 TV Special. I don't like the sit down and stand up shows that much, but I am thrilled by the rest.

Wendy56
08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
It's a hard to choose... I love Amazin Grace box set. Elvis was a marvelous gospel singer too. These CDs contain many beautiful songs.
Maybe I could also take my Elvis 56 CD. That's one of my favorites. 50s rule! ;)

FireEyes
08-24-2005, 02:30 PM
That's absolutly impossible for me, so in that case, I can't answer! :P

Tommy
08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
I would take a CD from my Box Set "Elvis Walk a Mile in My Shoes" #2 The Singles

Tommy

Albert
08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
If "Peace In The Valley" count as one, then I'd would take that one with me. Otherwise I think I'll have to choose between TTWII and Fun In Acapulco (really).

Teddybear
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
That Is A Hard One For I Have So Many That Are My Favorites But Would Have To Be "elvis All Shook Up"(ftd)

iloveelvis05
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Hmmm...that's a tough one, but I'd have to say my Love, Elvis CD. It's a must!!!

Raised on Rock
08-27-2005, 02:05 PM
This is a good one, cause I was recently making a cassette for that; is not the same kind of music that I enjoy if im driving or if im doing school work on my PC or if Im in the shower or enjoing with friends or whatever...

Driving, this is great causa I love driving, love to be alone on the road, looking at the landscapes and all that, ti relaxes me a lot.

So my Elvis album for that, if I can only chose one that would be... ahhh is hard to say...

For the road I?ll say I take the: Sun Sessions CD

But of course what I realy will do is to burn a Cd or made a cassette with my favourite Elvis songs for that.

I have to 90 min Cassette tapes that I made for a long driving trip recently as I was telling you, and is there in my car, don?t remember exactly all the songs and the order but its somthing like this:

It begins with: Mystery Train (for sure) I Forgot TO remember to Forget, Tryng to Get to you, Blue Moon, Ill never Let you go litle darlin, That?s all right, dont remember which ones follows then but Baby Let?s Play house, Good Rockin, Milk Cow Blues, Just Because are there.
Then I Got a WOman, My Baby left me, Lawdy Miss CLawdy, Shake Rattle, So Glad Your mine, Hound DOg, then I dont remember but When it Rains IT really pours, One nighm Blue Christmas adn Santa Clause is bakc in town are there...
Big Hunk Of Love, I Got a Stung, I need You Love tonight, A fool Such as I, His Lattest Flame, Little SIster, Memphis Tenn... and some others

Cassette two haha: Tomorrow is a Long Time, Down In the alley and stuff from the Nashville 67', 68', 7O? and 71' sessions (Guitar Man, Big Boss Man, Hi heel Sneakers, Too Much Monkey... Beyond de Reef, Funny How Times slips away, I Didnt Make it on Playin Guitar, Got My Mojo Workin, Don?t think twice its all right, (if its around December we need ofr sure: Ill be Home on Christmas Day, the electric guitar intro version please I realiced That I needed that one while I was driving,, that and merru christmas baby)

Strnges in my own home town, both studio vesion and the slow jam from TTWII , then my cassette goes with: stuff form he 69 and feb 70 vegas seasons, reconcider baby 69, BaBy WHat you whant me to do, See Se rider, Walk a mile, Proud Mary, then... Burning Love, stuff from the Madison square garden: Polk Salad Annie, Never Been to Spain. From Stax Just a Little Bit, Found Out Whats Happening, and of Course: THE PROMISED LAND i like more the essential elvis rhythimn and country take. Thera are some other songs from there and the Today sessions but i I get too long I will bore you all. thank for being so patient.

Hava a good trip.

PaleRider
08-27-2005, 10:13 PM
This is a really hard question but I'd probably take Disc 2 of the "Live In Las Vegas" set, which is the August 11, 1970 midnight show filmed for "That's The Way It Is." It contains a wide variety of music and Elvis is in top form. Probably the best version of "Suspicious Minds" that I've heard, although the one on "Elvis At The International" is close, too.

I'd probably cheat and sneak along Discs 1 & 3 of the 70's set, too, though. It's a long haul from Virginia to California.