PDA

View Full Version : New version Swing Down Sweet Charriot on Gospel Masters > Brilliant!

Trelane P
07-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Just received a copy of THE GOSPEL MASTERS boxset from my gorgeous wife for my birthday yesterday.

Why oh why has nobody mentioned the different version of SWING DOWN SWEET CHARRIOT (1968 The Trouble With Girls) with female voices instead of males plus a fantastic alternative arrangement. It's so much better than the film version but this is the first time I have heard it. It is brilliant. I would go so far as to say it is his best gospel song.

Is it just me?

On a negative note though, shame they added his gospel spoken intro to the 1968 gospel medley (it's a music CD not a documentary). Even worse than that though, they cut out the superb Motherless Child intro. Oh well I still have the complete version somewhere. I do love this medley. Again, a gospel highlight of his career.

TP.

TP.

Lonniebealestreet
07-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Interesting, Trelane.

I don't have this release and was thinking I didn't need it but now I'm wondering if there are any other alternate takes or mixes on it? I had assumed it was all masters and the familiar live and rehearsal tracks.

What you said about the intro on the gospel medley reminded me of a real editing doozy on the He Touched Me 2CD. I'll have to find the song but after a live (Vegas) performance of something or another they left a long, very out of place spoken part. And if memory serves he made some reference to his 'd@mn belt'. Gospel CD, hello! :doh:

elvisia
07-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Why oh why has nobody mentioned the different version of SWING DOWN SWEET CHARRIOT

On a negative note though, shame they added his gospel spoken intro to the 1968 gospel medley (it's a music CD not a documentary).
TP.

TP.

Trelane

This was actually mentioned some time ago, and I agree about the spoken intro:)

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=27901&highlight=swing

PiersEIN
07-10-2009, 01:32 AM
See Gospel Box-set review on EIN and we point out that the new version of S.D.S.Chariot is one of the best things about it.

Cheers
Piers

'I Believe: The Gospel Masters’ BMG box-set review (http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cdreview_ibelieve.html): "I Believe – The Gospel Masters" is a BMG 4CD repackage of (nearly) all of Elvis’ Gospel and Inspirational Master recordings. While true Elvis fans will have bought most of these all-important recordings several times before, BMG promises the best-quality remastered Studio Sessions, along with an interesting final CD of other inspirational material. EIN spends a week soaking in Elvis' glorious spirit as he sings for salvation and escape. He discovers a few surprises on the way and considers whether BMG has delivered a value-for money quality box-set for 2009.
Go here for the in-depth review (http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cdreview_ibelieve.html)

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files/cd_ibelievesml.jpeg

my boy
07-10-2009, 06:58 AM
I BELIEVE: THE GOSPEL MASTERS is absolutely essential for fans of the king.

From the first CD to the last the sound quality is superb,yes, SDSC is brilliant but so are the other tracks on the release. Cases in point: the whole of the HE TOUCHED ME album on disc-3;the stunning version of "How Great Thou Art" (live)–what power! And the ELVIS ON TOUR gospel rehearsal tracks which sound better than ever here! A truly magnificent set.

Cheers,

my boy(y)

TCB4ELVIS
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I like the 1968 better but love both. In my opinion He gets into more in 1968 he sounds looser. The "oh swing" ad lib in between the back up singers part really gives that old time gospel feeling. He was so gifted.

1st version

YouTube - Elvis Presley - Swing Down Sweet Chariot

2nd version, I like better.

YouTube - Elvis Presley Swing Down, Sweet Chariot (Movie Version)

TCB4ELVIS
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I BELIEVE: THE GOSPEL MASTERS is absolutely essential for fans of the king.

From the first CD to the last the sound quality is superb,yes, SDSC is brilliant but so are the other tracks on the release. Cases in point: the whole of the HE TOUCHED ME album on disc-3;the stunning version of "How Great Thou Art" (live)–what power! And the ELVIS ON TOUR gospel rehearsal tracks which sound better than ever here! A truly magnificent set.

Cheers,

my boy(y)

Gotta check this boxset out. Looks like they put the songs according to the order he recorded them. Cept for the Movie versions.
I have the, PEACE IN THE VALLEY, box set and other than all these tracks on this one it has, the Million Dollar Quartet gospel songs they sang.
It would be interesting to hear the how they remixed the new boxset,"I Believe".

my boy
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I have PEACE IN THE VALLEY and it's great, but the I BELIEVE 4-CD tops it!
It is a definite must have.(y)

Jungleroom76
07-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmmm...it's sounding more and more like I need to get this for my collection... :hmm:

Since it was basically a re-hash of the PEACE IN THE VALLEY set, I was going to let this one go, but now with the rave reviews of the improved sound quality plus this new version of SDSC, guess I'm going to have to work this set into my budget in the near future... ;)

TCB!
Mike

jeanelvisgirl
07-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Just listening ..... needed something to soothe my soul........

TCB4ELVIS
07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Just listening ..... needed something to soothe my soul........

There's nothing like Elvis gospel to soothe the soul. His voice in my opinion fits best with gospel music.