PDA

View Full Version : Stranger vs Stranger

rickb
06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
The song Stranger In My Own Hometown is one of Elvis' greatest.
Which version do you prefer - the 1969 Memphis recording or the 1970 slow blues rehearsal (with improvised lyrics)?

Tommy
06-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I'll have to go and play this, I haven't listened to this song for a long time. I don't think I have the 1970 rehearsal version. So sorry can't help with this. What CD is the 1970 version on?

Wendy56
06-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I go for the "blues" version. (y)

Wendy56
06-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, that dirty blues version, lol. :blush: Though the 1969 version is very-very nice too. :D
I also like this one:
YouTube - ELVIS PRESLEY - Stranger In My Own Home Town (outtake)

Raised on Rock
06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I'll have to go and play this, I haven't listened to this song for a long time. I don't think I have the 1970 rehearsal version. So sorry can't help with this. What CD is the 1970 version on?

Its on the 70's box by BMG "Walk a Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters", cd 5. Its a Jam around rehearsals for TTWII

There is an unedited version of that same jam on a few bootlegs, featuring Elvis nice french. BMG took those bits away, don't know why really, they were not big deal.

Anyhow, for a quick listening good bless you tube:

The Jam:

YouTube - Stranger In My Own Home Town (July 24 - 1970 , Rehearsal)

Rick, this is one of my top 10 all time Elvis songs no matter what, need more time to give my vote.

P.S. I've read on the net, that Lady Madona, also exists on a longer version, but it was also edited to made it into these box, because of the so call "explicit lyrics", does anyone have heard that longer version?

Nicole Presley
06-18-2009, 04:24 AM
I like the one with the improvised lyrics the most! :lol: Before I heard that version I didnīt like the song much. But now I like it very much.

rickb
06-18-2009, 04:47 AM
The improvised lyrics are quite brilliant - not only do the rhyme they say something about Elvis' perceptions of those around him.
I think i just opt for the extended original
Both versions share a spot in my Elvis top 10

molokai123
06-18-2009, 07:45 AM
yea both versions are great but i listen to the 70 blusey version more(y)

beckelvis
06-18-2009, 11:23 AM
BLUES VERSION(y)

SleepyJack
06-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Love both versions of this great song... but if Willie Wonka had me tied down in the chocolate factory and the oompah-loompahs were tickling me to death I`d probably say I preffered the Bluesy jam the best.:):):):)

Tommy
06-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks Raised on Rock, I have it (y)

Hands down, without question, best is the blues version. (y)

Polk-Salad-Annie
06-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Blues version(y)(y)

Jungleroom76
06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Guess I'm in the minority on this one, as I prefer the more polished and P.C. studio version of the song!!! :blush: :D

TCB!
Mike

javierTCB
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
I prefer American Studios version.
In only one take Elvis obtains a great master with deep feeling mixing blues roots in a powerful performance.

Ernst Jorgensen in his book "A Life in Music" (1998) writes about the `69 American Sessions:

"The next tune up was a blues, "Stranger in My Own Home Town" a perfect choice, surprising only because Elvis rarely recorded straight blues. This was a selection from that brief period of intensive listening and home recording in 1966, when Elvis begun rediscovering his own musical foundations. The songīs lyrics can be read as a gloss on either his life in Memphis or his place in the rock world circa 1969 ("My home town wonīt accept me / Just donīt feel welcomeīround here no more"), and while Chips (Moman) had a little interest in an old number by philosophical blues singer (Percy Mayfield was known as "The Poet of the Blues"), Elvis couldnīt be stopped from sinking his teeth into the number. Once the beat was turned around, the group produced four minutes of groove blues in a spirit than ever a later coating of half-hearted overdubs couldnīt dampen".
:notworthy

Wendy56
06-18-2009, 05:03 PM
One take? :blink: Yep, only Elvis... :notworthy

Raised on Rock
06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
In only one take Elvis obtains a great master with deep feeling mixing blues roots in a powerful performance.

Ernst Jorgensen in his book "A Life in Music" (1998) writes about the `69 American Sessions:

"The next tune up was a blues, "Stranger in My Own Home Town" a perfect choice, surprising only because Elvis rarely recorded straight blues. This was a selection from that brief period of intensive listening and home recording in 1966, when Elvis begun rediscovering his own musical foundations. The songīs lyrics can be read as a gloss on either his life in Memphis or his place in the rock world circa 1969 ("My home town wonīt accept me / Just donīt feel welcomeīround here no more"), and while Chips (Moman) had a little interest in an old number by philosophical blues singer (Percy Mayfield was known as "The Poet of the Blues"), Elvis couldnīt be stopped from sinking his teeth into the number. Once the beat was turned around, the group produced four minutes of groove blues in a spirit than ever a later coating of half-hearted overdubs couldnīt dampen".

Although both: the master and the blues jam a year latter, are definitively on my list of Elvis favorites, my choice, if Im only able to keep with one, will be neither of those, but the unedited, undubbed master at the American.

I've always though that "Stranger In My Own Home Town" backed with "Power Of My Love", was the best choice as the follow up single to "In The Ghetto/Any Day Now". "Clean Up Your Own Back Yard/The Fair Moving On" were OK songs, but they were album choices, they didn't charted well, and did not made much to promote "From Elvis in Memphis".

"In the Ghetto/ Any Day Now", "Stranger In My Own Town/Power of My Love" and then kill them with "Suspicious Minds/You'll Think Of Me". "Clean Up..." at #35, did turned off some expectations, "Stranger..." could have charted much better than that, if not as good as Ghetto and Suspicious.

Also: "Stranger in My Own Home Town" had to be first song on "From Elvis in Memphis".

Just what I think, whatever, definitively on the top 5 of Presley's blues performances, and on the Top 25 of Presley greatest's performances from them all. A real unknown song among the casual fans and general public.

Raised on Rock
06-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Although both: the master and the blues jam a year latter, are definitively on my list of Elvis favorites, my choice, if Im only able to keep with one, will be neither of those, but the unedited, undubbed master at the American.

javierTCB
06-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Although both: the master and the blues jam a year latter, are definitively on my list of Elvis favorites, my choice, if Im only able to keep with one, will be neither of those, but the unedited, undubbed master at the American..

(y)
Donīt forget the powerfull undubbed version published in FTD "Memphis Sessions" (2001). In 04 minutes and 44 seconds Elvis gives a master class of inspiration.

Also: "Stranger in My Own Home Town" had to be first song on "From Elvis in Memphis". .

This song open the firstī69 American antologhy untitled "The Memphis Record" (released in June 1987). The 23 songs of this double album comes in new mix.

Raised on Rock
06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
(y)
Donīt forget the powerfull undubbed version published in FTD "Memphis Sessions" (2001). In 04 minutes and 44 seconds Elvis gives a master class of inspiration.

This song open the firstī69 American antologhy untitled "The Memphis Record" (released in June 1987). The 23 songs of this double album comes in new mix.

1. Yep, that's the undubbed version I'm talking about.

2.- Always loved the art work on "The Memphis Record", I don't give much about the then new mix, although I do not detest it as other people, I just rather keep with the original master mix or the raw sound of the FTD undubbed or alternate tracks.

Brian
06-18-2009, 10:00 PM

I've always though that "Stranger In My Own Home Town" backed with "Power Of My Love", was the best choice as the follow up single to "In The Ghetto/Any Day Now". "Clean Up Your Own Back Yard/The Fair Moving On" were OK songs, but they were album choices, they didn't charted well, and did not made much to promote "From Elvis in Memphis".

"In the Ghetto/ Any Day Now", "Stranger In My Own Town/Power of My Love" and then kill them with "Suspicious Minds/You'll Think Of Me". "Clean Up..." at #35, did turned off some expectations, "Stranger..." could have charted much better than that, if not as good as Ghetto and Suspicious.

Also: "Stranger in My Own Home Town" had to be first song on "From Elvis in Memphis".

Just what I think, whatever, definitively on the top 5 of Presley's blues performances, and on the Top 25 of Presley greatest's performances from them all. A real unknown song among the casual fans and general public.

I like your idea of releasing Stranger in my own Town as a single after in the Ghetto but think the song should've stayed on the album Back in Memphis instead of being included on FEIM it was perfect where it was.

debtdbruno
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Memphis Sessions FTD are awesome, just raw Elvis with no orchestration or extra bull!!