PDA

View Full Version : the SELLING OF ELVIS..!!!

rex martin
05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
The SELLING of ELVIS by those that LOVED HIM MOST!
----------N - O - T-!!!------

When Jerry Hopkins issued his 2 Elvis books as One volume last year, he added this extra well researched Chapter, includes a series of Interviews direct with Gracelands and EPE.

Below is the first of 24 pages from the new chapter...(.Rex)

LOVE ME (IN LEGAL) TENDER by Jerry Hopkins

No one should have been surprised when lain Calder, the long time editorial director of the National Enquirer, confessed in his personal history of the scandal- mongering tabloid that when Elvis died he sent twenty-five reporters to Memphis with $100,000 in cash to spread around for exclusives.

Calder, in his book The Untold Story: My Twenty Years Running the National Enquirer, said $18,000 of that went to one of Elvis's cousins to sneak a camera into Graceland and take the infamous photograph of Elvis's corpse in his open casket. The next issue had the picture on the cover and it became the largest and fastest selling issue of all time.

Calder also reported that Elvis's stepmother, his father's wife Dee Stanley Presley, showed up at the Enquirer?, Memphis hotel rooms offering her story for a price. Next came Ginger Alden and while she was weeping her way through her account, the two ambulance drivers who transported Elvis to Baptist Hospital said they just wanted to tell their story, but didn't want any money. They were flown to Florida, where the Enquirer has its offices, so no one else could get to them.

The tsunami of memories-sold-for-cash was on its way, its explanation no more clearly expressed when one of Elvis's closest, long time pals, George Klein, was the guest lecturer at the University of Memphis. He was telling some of his favourite Elvis anecdotes to a class in popular culture when he noticed someone in the classroom taking notes. George recognized the man as someone who had written about Elvis. He stopped talking.

"What are you doing?" he asked. "Taking notes," the man said. He looked perplexed.
"Well, stop it. I don't want any note-taking in here."

Already a movie company had paid Klein to share these memories. He was also planning a book and he didn't want anyone stealing what he now considered his property.
Within two years of Elvis's death, it seemed that almost everyone who had..........
continues.....
with 23 more In depth - interesting pages.....

Not just Elvis Items and garments being smuggled out
to Sell TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER..

The rush was on to get the ELVIS STORIES sold also.

Getlo
05-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Rivetting.

No tell us something we didn't know. :rolleyes:

JDD
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here . Is it that you don't like
all the Elvis books? How else will those outside the inner circle learn ? I know a lot of people may have been shocked by some of the stuff that came out , but
a lot of it was hardly a secret the last few years of his life anyway.

utmom2008
05-13-2009, 12:25 PM
all the Elvis books? How else will those outside the inner circle learn ?

Rex, I have to agree with this. What exactly are you trying to say? I say "thank goodness" for the books and stories....positive or negative, it's the only way that 99.9% of us have had to learn about the real Elvis.:blush::blink:

Miss Clawdy
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
all the Elvis books? How else will those outside the inner circle learn ? I know a lot of people may have been shocked by some of the stuff that came out , but
a lot of it was hardly a secret the last few years of his life anyway.

Rex, I have to agree with this. What exactly are you trying to say? I say "thank goodness" for the books and stories....positive or negative, it's the only way that 99.9% of us have had to learn about the real Elvis.:blush::blink:

I absolutely agree with you! I say thank you MM, Priscilla, simply everyone who wrote a book about Elvis, for most of us it it the only way to get to know Elvis. After having read those books you can decide for yourself what you tend to believe or not.

rex martin
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Hi.
well I hope Elvis fans will read Jerry's book (now 2 books in one)

The new double edition may not have been bought by many Elvis fans
and does contain 23 more pages of ELVIS "IN LEGAL" TENDER,
most of this subject isn't in the other books.

I'm not saying you need to buy the book, expecially if you have already
purchased the 2 books seperately.

Most Library's will have a copy so you can just catch up on the Extra
Chapter. Its more also to make Elvis fans aware an extra chapter was
added -

Each book by any author deserves to be read ONCE. A few are worthy
reference sources, or reasonable overviews.

In the main I feel Positive about Jerry's two books - he did interview
himself a lot of the people that were connected to Elvis, his first
interviews are in a Tennessee Archive, and many books have used his
Interview sources instead of re-doing them themselves.

For that reason alone his Books are worth talking about, you can easily
say his come near the Top of the Pile as far as any Elvis book does.

While "G"'s is easily Buried at the very bottom of that pile.

SincerELy...... Rex...

utmom2008
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not saying you need to buy the book, expecially if you have already
purchased the 2 books seperately.

I have both books, seperate and apart, I don't have the one book that contains both of them. I bought and read the first one in 1971. I was so excited back then to have it, there was nothing else out there like it. I can still remember the thrill of walking by the window of "Doubleday Books" in our mall and seeing it in the window!(y)(y)

rex martin
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I have both books, seperate and apart, I don't have the one book that contains both of them. I bought and read the first one in 1971. I was so excited back then to have it, there was nothing else out there like it. I can still remember the thrill of walking by the window of "Doubleday Books" in our mall and seeing it in the window!(y)(y)

Jerry Hopkins first book is called
ELVIS A BIOGRAPHY Published 1971 the 2nd..
ELVIS THE FINAL YEARS Published 1980.

Not sure what the 2 printed together is called. I got mine to read from the Library Lancashire Web site, and they sent it to my Local Library.
I scanned the extra 24 pages Extra chapter to my computer.

Before Jerry did his first book, he was working for Rolling Stone mag, in the London Office. I have a file of letters between us that I just found again.
From the 1970-71 period. We talked about a lot of Things before his First Elvis Book.

I supplied him with a lot of Elvis Tapes, from the 50s and early 1960s, which at the time were fairly Rare. (Not so now of course)

This was a time when we had no books as reference to even tell you the Track listings of the 3 Ed Sullivan shows.- I was almost the first person in Europe to get the 3 Elvis Sullivan shows on 16mm film, and the first person to list the Tracks Elvis did way back then.

Jerry included a Chapter on Elvis fans in the back of his first book.
(not in the double edition any longer)

Which included the Famous mega-collector VIRGINIA COONS in LA, (I meet her in 72 and 73, and she helped to get me to my One and Only Backstage meeting With Elvis on the 4th September 1972)

I was also in the Fan Chapter in his first book (REX MARTIN) then a branch leader in Gloucestershire for the GB Fan Club.

When the book came out JERRY Sent me a special preview copy, in which he wrote:-

For Rex Martin, my "Colaborator"-
With many thanks for all
The help and support.
Peace ~
Jerry Hopkins...

I am still listed in the Acknowledgments of the new 2 in 1 book.
I'm sure Jerry wouldn't mind that much about my trailering his first page of the extra chapter, seeing my early help to him in 1970.

Also my tapes are used in the 12 hour Radio broadcast based on his first book- the first I knew about that was when WATERMARK PRODUCTIONS
sent me a thankyou letter for my help
(I didn't really mind, and they did write and thank me)

It was sort of exciting knowing the author of the first Real Detailed Elvis Book, he put a lot of time and effort into it, and at that time with Elvis still
alive, and certain people not being available due to a closeness with Elvis at that time (sort of closed ranks) I think it would have been hard to have written a better book than Jerry's..

I may Scan some of his letters to me shortly,,,
A GB Discography was added extra in the British Edition, that was
written by JIM ELLIS (then in London), Jim later married an Elvis fan in Memphis and moved to same. (I have copies of Jerry's letters to Jim also
as he was a good friend also at that time - sadly I have lost contact with him since)

Its interesting looking back at the dialogue and the progress of the book through the Publishers, and the book promotion via the serialization in
LOOK magazine. Its launch really was a multi-media event, with even a few posters around about it....

SincerELy..... REX.

SweetCaroline
05-13-2009, 06:39 PM

You are ahead of me as always, Rosanne. (y) I only have the first book.
I didn't even know the second had been put out. So Rex's post was new news for me.

elvislady
05-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the great post rex... i didnt even know the second one had been put out either. (y)
elvislady