PDA

View Full Version : Elvis' Name

SunStudios54
04-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know what the name mean's or how it came about?

http://i41.tinypic.com/1z566bd.jpg

elvispresleytheking
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I heard it is "all wise" in Norse.

shelley.m.
04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Vernon's middle name was Elvis.The name Elvis is quite unique.

dstrattenfan
04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
This is what Behind the name.com says:

ELVIS

Usage: English
Pronounced: EL-vis
Meaning unknown. It is possibly a form of ALVIS or ELWIN or it might be derived from the surname Elwes. This name was brought to public attention by the singer Elvis Presley (1935-1977), whose name came from his father's middle name.

And here is what Babycenter.com says:
Elvis
#1584 on BabyCenter
Origin: Scandinavian
Meaning: All Wise

beckelvis
04-27-2009, 04:42 AM
thank you for information very interesting.

Tony Trout
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Meaning: All Wise

This is correct.

KPM
04-27-2009, 11:01 AM
The boy's name Elvis \e-lvis, el-vis\ is pronounced EL-viss.
possibly related to Alvis from Norse mythology.
Made famous by the late singer/actor Elvis Presley.
Name of a sixth-century Irish saint, who is also known as Elwyn, Elwin, Elian and Allan.

Elvis has 6 variant forms: Alvis, Alvys, Elvio, Elviss, Elvo and Elvys.

SunStudios54
04-27-2009, 03:21 PM
well thanks for the information, interesting how Elvis got his name.

mozzarella
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
It's interesting that he got this amazing talent and looks with his name. It's like it's been planned and constructed. He could've been called George anyway... But he was ELVIS. What a fate...

Ronn
04-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Agree with Mozarella. I always thought that Elvis' total packaging was great - good looks, good voice, good moves and a rather unusual name at that time. I thought (when I was really young) that the name must have been a stage or screen name, but it was his real name. And the name went well with everything else (including the surname!) When you say "ELVIS PRESLEY" it has a beautiful rhyme to it. And he made the name famous! nowadays, if you say ELVIS, you remember him. Or if you meet someone with the name, the first thought is "your mother or father must be a fan." It was an extraordinary name for an extraordinary man.

utmom2008
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Vernon's middle name was Elvis.The name Elvis is quite unique.

Actually, in 1935 in the rural south it was not unusual at all. It's used more often in the south....:blush:
My Dad's family came from Mississippi, he was the only one in his family that was born here in Texas, and they knew of plenty of Elvis'.

mistymorning
12-28-2009, 04:37 AM
This is what I found :
... ELVIS. Gender: Male. Origin: Teutonic. Meaning: Noble Friend
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cupidshut_2082_3900244

debtdbruno
12-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Agree with Mozarella. I always thought that Elvis' total packaging was great - good looks, good voice, good moves and a rather unusual name at that time. I thought (when I was really young) that the name must have been a stage or screen name, but it was his real name. And the name went well with everything else (including the surname!) When you say "ELVIS PRESLEY" it has a beautiful rhyme to it. And he made the name famous! nowadays, if you say ELVIS, you remember him. Or if you meet someone with the name, the first thought is "your mother or father must be a fan." It was an extraordinary name for an extraordinary man.

Well said(y)(y)(y)(y)

mistymorning
12-28-2009, 07:33 AM

I totally agree with you !!!!! You have said what should be said beautifully !!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

GIORGIA
12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm totally agree with you(y)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIORGIA
12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
I totally agree with you !!!!! You have said what should be said beautifully !!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Sure my friend:wub::wub::wub::wub:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!