PDA

View Full Version : Elvis achievements

Brian
04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone

I started this thread a while back on FECC and thought this would be a good topic here at tcb-world

I think in a lot of ways Elvis was very underrated and he achieved many things in his career that he isn't given proper credit for an example would be that Elvis was the youngest recipient ever of the Grammy Lifetime achievement award at 36 years old at the time the award was named after Bing Crosby because he was the first person to receive the honor. Other artists that have received this award are much older than what Elvis was they tend to be in their late 40's or early to mid 50's so I think it was quite an achievement that Elvis got the award so quickly and at such a young age. Nowadays receiving the Grammy Lifetime achievement award is considered a big deal but you never hear Elvis get credit for this or get credit for holding the record.

What other things did Elvis achieve that he isn't given credit for?

SleepyJack
04-22-2009, 06:41 AM
I always think that one of the most awesome things really about Elvis Presley is the amount of people that were brought together,one way or another,by him. I know that something like that may not qualify as an achievement in terms of awards and honours but it is an amazing thing for one person to do when you think about it.How many of us will still be influencing the lives of other people thirty two years after our deaths? So, if you ask me,this is a huge achievement and not recognised or thought about very often.All the friends,wives,husbands,girlfiends,the friendships on and off line,the time that is spent together because of a shared interest in one single human being........ We can only hope and dream of leaving an effect like that on the world.

ricardo b. prospero
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
I believe some of Elvis overlooked greatest achievements are his fantastic staying power and loyal fans around the world plus the honor of being the most impersonated celebrity. For being the first and original American Idol and his unique timeless music that transcend over several decades. His originality that revolutionized the music industry at the birth of rock and roll. Summing up some of his significant achievements more than justified why he earned the title "King of rock and roll"

Brian
04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
I believe some of Elvis overlooked greatest achievements are his fantastic staying power and loyal fans around the world plus the honor of being the most impersonated celebrity. For being the first and original American Idol and his unique timeless music that transcend over several decades. His originality that revolutionized the music industry at the birth of rock and roll. Summing up some of his significant achievements more than justified why he earned the title "King of rock and roll"

I think Elvis does get credit for this

He is mainly remembered for being a rock n' roll pioneer and for bringing rock n' roll music to the masses in 1956.

During the Elvis week coverage year after year commentators are always saying how they are amazed at how large his fan base and popularity are despite the fact that he died years ago.

That's about all he gets credit for though that's why I started this thread to talk about things Elvis achieved that he isn't given recognition for that he really should get credit for because there are so many.
Other than getting credit for making rock n' roll popular on an international level I feel Elvis is very underrated and underappreciated and doesn't get much credit for anything.

KPM
04-22-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.aboutsociology.com/sociology/Elvis_Presley
This site discusses Elvis, his career and life-and how it affected world culture. I think their are many things Elvis should get more credit for and his affect on the world is on the top of the list.

Elvis Aaron Presley (January 8, 1935 August 16, 1977), also known as The King of Rock and Roll, or as just simply The King, was an American singer who had an immeasurable effect on world culture. He started his career under the name The Hillbilly Cat and was soon nicknamed Elvis the Pelvis because of his sexually suggestive performance style.......

jasmine123456
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Elvis's acting career is great! Love all his movies.

Jumpsuit Junkie
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
The problem is that Elvis' achievements are close to 40 years ago and most of what he achieved is common place today e.g.

1. His style of recording with a live session group was uncommon in the 50's, you simply recorded to a backing track in a small booth.

2. Style and Pizazz, Elvis has to go down as the first artist to push the boundaries in terms of style in the 50's and then the Jumpsuit. Today he wouldn't look out of place, back then WOW.

3. Aloha Satellite show, a first back in 1973

4. Elvis is estimated to have sold one billion records...

5. 18 Number #1's in America

6. Won three Grammy Awards, all for his Gospel music

7. Has more multi platinum album sales than any other performer, with twelve albums selling over 2 million copies.

8.One of only a handful of artists inducted into both The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame and The Country Music Hall of Fame.

The list could go on, but you get the picture...

KPM
04-22-2009, 12:40 PM
The problem is that Elvis' achievements are close to 40 years ago and most of what he achieved is common place today e.g.

1. His style of recording with a live session group was uncommon in the 50's, you simply recorded to a backing track in a small booth.

2. Style and Pizazz, Elvis has to go down as the first artist to push the boundaries in terms of style in the 50's and then the Jumpsuit. Today he wouldn't look out of place, back then WOW.

5. 18 Number #1's in America

7. Has more multi platinum album sales than any other performer, with twelve albums selling over 2 million copies.

8.One of only a handful of artists inducted into both The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame and The Country Music Hall of Fame.

The list could go on, but you get the picture...
Great points-young people today have no idea how unique Elvis was in 1955 compared to the music before him and the world before him.
They see how quickly the world turns today and look back and think everything back then was.... slow....tame....conventional...with no inkling of the impact of Elvis and his accomplishments.

Brian
04-22-2009, 04:06 PM

Great list Jumpsuit Junkie

I think he should get credit for these particular one's you've listed
Aloha was 12 years before Live Aid.

I definately think Elvis should get more credit for his record sales worldwide but thanks to Sony BMG not doing a good of requesting sale updates and the old RCA's bad job of keeping sales along with the RIAA method of counting sales he isn't. Which is sad.

I think Elvis should get at least a little more credit for introducing gospel music to a new audience by including a few gospel numbers in his shows.

Besides being inducted into the Rock n' roll hall of fame and Country music hall of fame Elvis is also in the Gospel music hall of fame the only person in all 3. Plus he is a member of the Rockabilly hall of fame and in 2004 was inducted into the U.K. hall of fame. Elvis probably holds the record for being inducted into the most hall of fames.

In addition to your list I would also add that the 68 special was the first unplugged performance on t.v. inspiring the MTV series that started in the
80's called MTV unplugged and Vh1's 90's series storytellers.