PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistant interviews

john carpenter
04-14-2009, 02:40 PM
What really bugs me is the people who talked about Elvis' life soon after he died,,,Example..One reporter said Elvis built Graceland for his mother (not) Elvis married priscilla soon after he got out of the Army! If you call 9 years soon. He was found by Joe esposito in his bedroom, not his bathroom! Even a veteren Newsman like David Brinkley said...He didn't drink smoke or drive his own car! OMG:blink:

utmom2008
04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
What really bugs me is the people who talked about Elvis' life soon after he died,,,Example..One reporter said Elvis built Graceland for his mother (not) Elvis married priscilla soon after he got out of the Army! If you call 9 years soon. He was found by Joe esposito in his bedroom, not his bathroom! Even a veteren Newsman like David Brinkley said...He didn't drink smoke or drive his own car! OMG:blink:

I agree with you David, but Joe Esposito is the one who first told that he found Elvis in his bed, not in his bathroom. That's why Joe is still tagged with "changing his story.":blink::blush:

KPM
04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Back in 1977 it was a different world-the major networks did not have researched obits ready in the occurence of a sudden death of a music, movie, or TV stars (as they do now) and they all scrambled to come up with what they used on air. Naturally much of it was just not completely true they relied on too much of the myth of Elvis. If I recall Brinkley did not want to even have it get more than a few minutes in the second half of his newscast-but younger reporters convinced him that this was major news event.
Today this would be a story which would be followed immediatley ad nauseum by all news networks with no hesitation.

Merry
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM

Isn't reporting all the same though, in some circles?

Make up something, project what they think, perhaps in their life, think it's not juicy enough, add some more, then to finish it off, some Chinese Whispers? lol

elvispresleytheking
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Still bugs me how some of them still don't even check their facts, like how Priscilla said Elvis' mother died at 42...

KPM
04-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Isn't reporting all the same though, in some circles?

Make up something, project what they think, perhaps in their life, think it's not juicy enough, add some more, then to finish it off, some Chinese Whispers? lol
Now I would tend to agree-but back then CBS, NBC, ABC were the big kids on the block for news and they had a much higher standard of reporting on events and they were not "entertainment oriented"
Today I think the standards are much much lower and what passes for news now-would be strictly tabloid or movie magazine stuff back then.

Tony Trout
04-15-2009, 03:43 PM

I agree with you David, but Joe Esposito is the one who first told that he found Elvis in his bed, not in his bathroom. That's why Joe is still tagged with "changing his story.":blink::blush:

I'm not taking sides with "Diamond Joe" here but I can fully understand his reasoning at the time of Elvis's death of teling reporters that he'd found Elvis in bed. Why? Let me ask you this:

Wouldn't you be mortified to find out that your loved one had passed away on the toilet while trying to...um....well....defecate?

(If this reply offends anyone, I'm sorry)

Brian
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm not taking sides with "Diamond Joe" here but I can fully understand his reasoning at the time of Elvis's death of teling reporters that he'd found Elvis in bed. Why? Let me ask you this:

Wouldn't you be mortified to find out that your loved one had passed away on the toilet while trying to...um....well....defecate?

(If this reply offends anyone, I'm sorry)

I agree Tony

Joe did the right thing

Brian
04-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Still bugs me how some of them still don't even check their facts, like how Priscilla said Elvis' mother died at 42...

I know the feeling

I remember reading articles about Elvis right after he died and they would mention that Elvis had died at the same age 42 as his mother Gladys

Then it was written in several biographies that Gladys was 42 when she died
That's just sloppy research.

Then I heard Pat Boone being interview about Elvis during Elvis week 2006
he mentioned Elvis died at the same age as his mother.

Then Priscilla says it

Get it right Gladys died at 46 and was 4 years older than Elvis was when he died.

you would think at some point Elvis would've mentioned to Priscilla how old his mother was when she died
or she would've heard him mention it to someone

KPM
04-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Well people wanted to protect Elvis-people were under great stress, and people were feeling the loss of someone they had great emotion for.
People do not react like robots in times like this-they react like humans and humans make errors.

rickb
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
i have no problems with Joe's bedroom quote. Technically it is not incorrect (assuming the bathroom is considered an en-suite) and i am sure he said it to protect Elvis' image

Tony Trout
04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
i have no problems with Joe's bedroom quote. Technically it is not incorrect (assuming the bathroom is considered an en-suite) and i am sure he said it to protect Elvis' image

I agree. I did have a problem with it in the beginning but, considering the circumstances surrounding Elvis's death and the way it occurred, I now understand why Joe told the press that Elvis was found in bed.

Angeline69
04-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Yes, Joe did the right thing and he should have stuck with the bedroom story to protect Elvis' dignity. But may be it would have been difficult with the
other eyewitnesses ! :'(

jeanelvisgirl
04-16-2009, 02:11 AM
There was always doubt about Gladys' age.....she knocked the four years off when she married Vernon...and he added to his age......maybe they continued to maintain that lie and everyone thought she was only 42?

Getlo
04-16-2009, 07:07 AM
There was always doubt about Gladys' age.....she knocked the four years off when she married Vernon...and he added to his age......maybe they continued to maintain that lie and everyone thought she was only 42?

Her gravestone erected in 1958 suggests otherwise ...

utmom2008
04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Yes, Joe did the right thing and he should have stuck with the bedroom story to protect Elvis' dignity. But may be it would have been difficult with the
other eyewitnesses ! :'(

The truth will always come out, sooner or later.:blush:

utmom2008
04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Her gravestone erected in 1958 suggests otherwise ...

Exactly.

ksimms2
04-16-2009, 07:39 PM
this is a great thread!! I can understand why Joe E said what he did - but there are other versions of that day that he has told different stories about - like the fact that he performed cpr on Elvis - then turned around and said he never said that. There are several stories that he's changed his tune on. That is why he's not my favorite MM member.....but the bedroom thing I can understand at the time why he said it.....

utmom2008
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM
there are other versions of that day that he has told different stories about - like the fact that he performed cpr on Elvis - then turned around and said he never said that. There are several stories that he's changed his tune on.

Good point Kelly...I had forgotten about that one!:supriced:

Lyndon
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Now, lets get it straight once and for all. Its correct that Esposito has stated, that Elvis was found on his bed, and that he continued to hold on to that version for some years. But later he actually has told the truth, wich is: Elvis fell of the commode and was found on the bathroom-floor. Look here, watching Joe telling the truth:

YouTube - The Day Elvis Presley Died

Merry
04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Now,

YouTube - The Day Elvis Presley Died (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djiy7iHuTMA)

Peace be with you Joe, for all you have done.

God bless
:hug:
Kimmi

May
04-22-2009, 09:39 AM
I met Joe. He seemed a really genuine bloke.
:sad:

Elvis Girl
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
over the years i seen interviews of Joe Esposito basicley everytime i hear him his story keeps changing sorry but, i wouldn't believe a thing that Joe Esposito says.

May
04-23-2009, 12:51 AM
As these stories go, Joe originally said Elvis died in bed (or on a chair in the bathroom) as he wanted to retain some dignity for his friend. If that is being dishonest, well I hope my friends would do the same for me.

Also everything with him and Elvis happened so long ago he isnt likely to remember every single tiny detail. To me, both on tv and when I met him he seemed relaxed, warm, genuine and polite. Not at all "on guard" with any of his answers ... and keen to present himself in the best possible light ... unlike some others we know of!

I have met her too and :cold:

Donut
04-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Joe is not one of my favorites, indifference is more what I feel towards him, but I can understand why he didn't told the bathroom part at the time.

May
04-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Who are peoples favourites? I dont really have one.

Getlo
04-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Esposito is easily the most two-faced of the MM.

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

utmom2008
04-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Esposito is easily the most two-faced of the MM.

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Elvis fired him once for being a snitch, right? What year was that?:doh:

Brian
04-24-2009, 10:35 PM

I think it was 1964

MissyM
04-25-2009, 06:28 AM
I think most of the MM cared for Elvis alot, but with in that precarious situation, some where also more self-preservationists. And Joe to me was the number one in that area. I know Joe worked very hard to, perhaps he thought he had the right to be that way. There was little security in their jobs. So in some ways I understand. And the other one to me was Jerry Schilling. This is why basically when interacting with Priscilla, they have towed the line. Call them compromising or call them smart, they have managed to stay in her good graces and follow the money trail better than the rest. That has to be factored in. Whatever the rest have made from their Elvis connection, it has been independant of her.

LianaKaralivanou
04-25-2009, 08:56 AM

You're right, Rosanne but after a while Elvis went to his house and hired him back. So, I guess he REALLY wanted him back, to go to his place and ask him to return. But of course that is what Joe said!

May
04-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I guess I just speak as I find. Joe was polite and courteous with me. Priscilla, in my opinion, didnt have time for the people who wanted to speak with her. She is one cold fish.

Merry
04-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I guess I just speak as I find. Joe was polite and courteous with me.

That's the best way, thank you, May.