PDA

View Full Version : Why was this a photo op?

john carpenter
01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Maybe someone could shed some light on this subject. Why would Elvis & Vernon allow a "photo oppurtunity"when they are mourning Gladys?29628

shelley.m.
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Now when you think of it,it does seem strange.That's not the only photo of both Elvis and Vernon mouning the lost of Gladys.There are a few more photos of Father and Son grieving.

piretos
01-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Maybe they didn't know this photo was taken?? He had just lost his mother and Vernon his wife. They were both in so much pain that they probably didn't realise at that moment that they were being photographed.. This is just my opinion.

ElvisisPrecious
01-29-2009, 12:14 AM
I have a idea why this was allowed! TOM PARKER, they had to have seen that photos was being taken of them.

memphis69
01-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I FIND THIS PHOTO VERY SAD. ELVIS AND VERNON SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO GRIEVE GLADYS IN PRIVATE!!

Brian
01-29-2009, 12:42 AM
I think it might've been the paparazzi back then

cbg84
01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
That middle picture I'd never seen before.

Getlo
01-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Vernon gave his blessings for the photos to be taken.

easyrider
01-29-2009, 05:43 AM
never seen before that photo in the middle

john carpenter
01-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Vernon gave his blessings for the photos to be taken.
How do you know Getlo? Where did you read this?29639And in this pic it looks like they are in Gladys's and Vernon's bedroom. That is the last thing i would want to have my picture taken in my moment of grief. I know some people have made strange request to me at a viewing to take pics of their/our loved one in their casket:hmm:(n)

ehollier
01-29-2009, 06:17 AM
I imagine that this 'photo op' was before Col. Parker showed up on the scene to handle the publicity and details of the funeral. I can see why Col. Parker would have been valuable in this situation. I cannot see Col. Parker allowing the press to his his Elvis image to be caught in this situation.

epmoodyblue
01-29-2009, 06:51 AM
nothing wrong with those pics being takenhttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gif

Getlo
01-29-2009, 06:52 AM
How do you know Getlo? Where did you read this?And in this pic it looks like they are in Gladys's and Vernon's bedroom.

That pic was indeed taken in the Presley's bedroom.

The snaps were done, IIRC, by photographer James someone (whose name ecsapes me at the moment) who was a friend of the family.

The deal was presumably arranged by The Colonel, and it was explained to Vernon that it would have been better to do it like that than have photographers sneaking pics by other means. And remember, it was The Colonel who managed to keep the press away from the funeral, although some private pics have since surfaced.

I can't recall exactly which book I read this in right now, or where. I've read many bios etc. I'll try to remember.

ehollier
01-29-2009, 07:00 AM
That pic was indeed taken in the Presley's bedroom.

The snaps were done, IIRC, by photographer James someone (whose name ecsapes me at the moment) who was a friend of the family.

The deal was presumably arranged by The Colonel, and it was explained to Vernon that it would have been better to do it like that than have photographers sneaking pics by other means. And remember, it was The Colonel who managed to keep the press away from the funeral, although some private pics have since surfaced.

I can't recall exactly which book I read this in right now, or where. I've read many bios etc. I'll try to remember.

Well, thanks for blowing my theory all to he!!

bogarcon
01-29-2009, 07:13 AM
this is the story that is almost tell by George Klein. yes the colonel was involved for the pictures but that was for like the it says before, to keep the newsman out of their personal life and interest.
Bogarcon

ehollier
01-29-2009, 07:15 AM
this is the story that is almost tell by George Klein. yes the colonel was involved for the pictures but that was for like the it says before, to keep the newsman out of their personal life and interest.
Bogarcon

I am not doubting the story. I was unaware of the story. I hope Getlo remembers where he read it because I would be interested in reading that particular book/article. My 'theory' was just a guess.

Diane
01-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Being photographed was such a big part of life for Elvis and Vernon by then and they were grieving so hard that they probably didn't notice it much and really didn't care but I don't agree that it should have been done.

Diane

Tommy
01-29-2009, 08:27 AM
I still don't understand the photos, but Elvis allowed this. I think these moments should have been private.

utmom2008
01-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I still don't understand the photos, but Elvis allowed this. I think these moments should have been private.

I agree Tommy. Having just lost my mother the memory is still fresh in my mind, and I can't fathom having a photographer snapping pics of me just after my mother had died.:blush::blush::blink:

beckelvis
01-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I believe that the Colonel must realize these capture of photo´s,and his it went this way it looks like to me a lack of respect towards Elvis and Vernon,that is very sad moment in his lives.

KPM
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I think it is always poor taste to take pictures of people in pain and mental anguish-but that is the way of the press. I include the front page pictures of car crash victims and bodies covered with tarps on the road which crop up all the time in our local paper. Some people love to see this type thing-I am not one.

desiree
01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I think it is always poor taste to take pictures of people in pain and mental anguish-but that is the way of the press. I include the front page pictures of car crash victims and bodies covered with tarps on the road which crop up all the time in our local paper. Some people love to see this type thing-I am not one.

I agree, it's very poor. Grieving is a private thing at least it should be. I feel sorry for those who enjoy seeing other people's grief :angry:

spanish eyes
01-29-2009, 12:28 PM

I'm not one of them either IMO this was their own private pain and it should have stayed that way.

Getlo
01-29-2009, 02:47 PM

Yes, but think of the alternative. Photographers vying for pics over the Graceland walls, fighting for pics at the funeral and elsewhere, making life uncomfortable.

Doing it this way was the lesser of two evils. The same principle is used by stars today when they release one or two free pics to the media of, say, their new kid. That way, the value of any other paparazzi-type pics is reduced to next to nothing.

Same deal here. The raw, close up pics taken inside Graceland would be better than anything else: and they were officially sanctioned and monitored.

Getlo
01-29-2009, 02:56 PM
The photos were by Memphis Press-Scimitar photographer James Reid, although he's not the family friend I was thinking of.