PDA

View Full Version : Singing or Family?

renapap05
01-14-2009, 06:50 AM
What of these 2 do you thing Elvis cared about most?I thought a lot about it...In the 60s,he wanted a baby and then Lisa was born,but in the 70s,he seemed to care about his career...He went on tour many times and wasn't at home every day.What do you think?:doh:

Diane
01-14-2009, 07:13 AM
I think his career was of prime importance because he had so many people to support other than his immediate family...he didn't have much choice.

Diane

easyrider
01-14-2009, 07:20 AM
1-Career
2-family

Dino78
01-14-2009, 07:26 AM
It's very tough to answer this, well at least for me.
I think he always wanted to have his family around. Even the MM was a kind of family for him. But he was the patriarch for them and therefor it was on him to bring the money in. So he had to take care of his career too. Without the movie contracts he had to do touring, etc.
Well to me both points are equal.

cbg84
01-14-2009, 07:50 AM
I think his career to him was very important. But I think having a family was more. Yes, he was gone alot with touring and making movies. But he always wanted family around. Like someone said MM was somewhat like family. Now I think that his health would have started to go even if he and Priscilla would have stayed together, but maybe it wouldn't have gone so fast and so soon after the divorce. After the divorce he just sort of started to lose it. Not saying the divorce had anything to do with it. It might have as fast and soon even if they had lasted. There's no way to tell. But this is just my opinion.

ForeverTheKing
01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't think it's not so easy to answer and I'm sure Elvis had never "choosed" one...he sure cared about both things.
I voted career because Elvis loved music...music was everything for him...he loved his fans, he loved to be famous, he loved to gave his talent to people and I think he could have never lived without singing. He sure loved family too but in his life he showed how he couldn't be a "family man"....the divorce is an example...I always think Elvis hadn't to get married ;)
I can't tell he cared most to career but sure he was just a "job" but a part of his life and soul....(y)

hannaloveselvis
01-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I say career. It always seemed more important to him. I heard him say in an interview once that when he got a family he wouldn't budge. But he did. That's why I say career. I do think that family was important to him too, just slightly not as much.

SlippyInvader
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Career came first and then family.

Polk
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
I think that he first cared his career.But when he lost his family(Priscilla and especially Lisa),he realized which is important.:hmm:

beckelvis
01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I believe that he was import both parts for yourself his family and his career,but it gave everything for his career and to his family i leave her a bit of side ,it is my opinion.

Nicole Presley
01-14-2009, 12:15 PM
What of these 2 do you thing Elvis cared about most?I thought a lot about it...In the 60s,he wanted a baby and then Lisa was born,but in the 70s,he seemed to care about his career...He went on tour many times and wasn't at home every day.What do you think?:doh:

I think family is more important to Elvis. And if he cared mpre about his career in the 70s, then I guess itīs because Priscilla left him.

cibetty
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
That's a good question Rena!! I'm sure that both were important for him, but I think when he started the live concerts again in 69, he couldn't spend enough time with his family anymore. He loved his family, but he loved the fans as well. Who would be able to decide in his situation?

mistymorning
01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
I think he cared for his family more than his career more but he had no choice , he had to tour and do his concerts too . He was THE GREAT ELVIS PRESLEY. he couldn't ignore his career . For a mega star like elvis presley life and career were the same.

memphis69
01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
[COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Fixedsys"]A VERY INTERESTING QUESTION. I THINK ELVIS LOVED HIS FAMILY VERY MUCH. IN THE 1950s IT WAS ELVIS AND HIS PARENTS THEY WERE A LOVING FAMILY UNIT. IN THE 60s ELVIS, LISA AND PRISCILLA. BUT ELIVS ALSO LOVED HIS CAREER AND HIS FANS. HE ALWAYS HAD A GREAT LOVE AFFAIR WITH HIS FANS. I THINK ELVIS WAS AT HIS HAPPIEST WHEN HE WAS ON STAGE ENTERTAINING HIS FANS. I THINK THAT ELVIS ALWAYS WANTED A HAPPY FAMILY LIFE. BUT HE WOULD NEVER GIVE UP HIS MUSIC OR THE TOURING IN THE 70s WHICH PLACED A LOT OF STRAIN ON HIS HOME LIFE. IT IS A REAL BALANCING ACT CAREER/FAMILY, IT MUST HAVE BEEN HARD WHEN YOU ARE A SUPERSTAR LIKE "ELVIS PRESLEY".

Cilla & Elvis
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
um Rena i voted for family but it is a tough call thou.
he was touring alot in the 70's and was away alot.
he loved being on stage very hard to say on it thou
i would love to say both but had to pick on ly one so i voted for family thou.:D

Serafim
01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I think elvis was a very unhappy person since is mom died, so is family died wenn her mom dies, and start doing live performances again during the 70īs, night after night, he put his family behind, cause he has no family, just his little daugther lisa, cause I think is marriage has a fake, he never loved priscilla that much.
so I voted for his career, sorry friends

WHITETIGERMAN
01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
That's a tough one........but I heard that he said outside of Lisa Marie that Music and Karate were the most important in his life.This came from Larry Geller....so you have to take anything that we hear anyone from his camp say with a grain of salt.If it's not on record....like in his interviews or press conferences of him saying anything of that nature....we will never know.

Merry
01-14-2009, 02:52 PM

I am very fortunate, I was sent Larry Geller's book, "Leaves of Elvis' Garden" by a very special, and generous man, and I can see why, Elvis loved him, as I do, too, lol. He is one of the nicest people, you could hope to meet.

In Larry's book, there is a sad story, Elvis would choose family.

Take care,
Kim

emmajean
01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I think elvis was a very unhappy person since is mom died, so is family died wenn her mom dies, and start doing live performances again during the 70īs, night after night, he put his family behind, cause he has no family, just his little daugther lisa, cause I think is marriage has a fake, he never loved priscilla that much.
so I voted for his career, sorry friends

I disagree on that one. If you just look at the pictures of the two together you can see how much love there is. Yes, it's possible to fake love. I've been there and done that. But I also have been very much in love and know those kinds of feelings you see in the pictures. Those can't be faked. Not even if it was just for a picture. I believe that they both loved each other very much and did until the end. Though I will say at the end I don't believe that they were in love, they just had a new found care for one another.

eapforeverloyal
01-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I disagree on that one. If you just look at the pictures of the two together you can see how much love there is. Yes, it's possible to fake love. I've been there and done that. But I also have been very much in love and know those kinds of feelings you see in the pictures. Those can't be faked. Not even if it was just for a picture. I believe that they both loved each other very much and did until the end. Though I will say at the end I don't believe that they were in love, they just had a new found care for one another.

I do think that in the pictures you can truly see the love between them as well.

Wendy56
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
No doubt: family. :]

shelley.m.
01-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I believe that family came first for Elvis.

goodelvisgirl
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
family came first any free time he had was spent with family he as at home when he could be and in the 60's he sort of gave up on the career and ran with the movies when he got back to the career it was important with so many people to please but he never forgot family i think he was a reall family man and did his best with the life style he had

elviscillalisa
01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Family ment everything to Elvis.

WHITETIGERMAN
01-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Despite my other post on here.............you can look and tell that family came first in Elvis' life.

Polk-Salad-Annie
01-15-2009, 05:54 AM
It is a difficult question, but I think that family came first and then career.

MissyM
01-15-2009, 06:36 AM
I don't think anyone can say either/or. He sang to take care of his family. They are so intertwined. He fed his soul by singing too. I think it was a very difficult balancing act. But there were time he seemed to not make his family first. And I guess you can say that about his singing too.

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Tricky question because you can see Elvis cared for his family but they had/have been adversely affected by his career.

More importantly he was affected mostly by his career more than anybody.

Annie
01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Elvis loved his family most of all, but I think he didn't fight enough to conservate them by his side. The career and the audience's warmth became first

Burning_Love
01-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Family - without a doubt !
I believe he looked at his fans as 'family' too. I mean, they were the ones who kept his legacy going.

J.P
01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't think anyone can say either/or. He sang to take care of his family. They are so intertwined. He fed his soul by singing too. I think it was a very difficult balancing act. But there were time he seemed to not make his family first. And I guess you can say that about his singing too.

well said. (y)

ehollier
01-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Although it would be sentimentality that would suggest family, it really was his career that was always first, with family coming in a close second. This does not mean that he did not love his mother, wife, child, friends but all of these were sacrificed for his music career. Whether it be 'obligations' or an insatiable need for the audience and fans or his constant need for music, his career was always what came first, and sadly, his family second.

SleepyJack
01-17-2009, 05:01 AM
A very difficult question to answer....so I`ll hold off on voting until I either make up my mind..or someone makes it up for me!
I don`t think it is a question or decision that Elvis would have asked himself....I`m pretty sure that he thought it was possible to have both.His career certainly had a huge impact on his family life,from the time he spent away from Gladys and Vernon in the `50s all the way up to the birth of Lisa Marie and the divorce from Priscilla. The only time I can remember him seeming to have some hesitation was on leaving the setup at the Circle-G ranch,when he had been living a more "ordinary" life a while...the doubts were short-lived though, the draw of his career was never something he could ignore...even at the end when it was costing him his health.:hmm: