PDA

View Full Version : Why there are no publicity shots in the '70s?

mozzarella
01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Why is that? '50s and '60s (I know, the movies) are full of publicity shots but it just stopped after 1969. Is that because he was more focused on live appearances and didn't care about being photographed in a studio? Lack of time maybe... your opinion? (if there's any)

WHITETIGERMAN
01-08-2009, 05:01 PM
That would be my guess is that being back on the road Elvis had his mind on touring.
I never heard why no publicity shots were taken......well at least I can't remember what was said about it.

goodelvisgirl
01-08-2009, 06:06 PM
probably cos elvis was only in the public eye through his movies so they thought they needed publicity pics but didnt need them when he started touring agian but i never actually thought about it can't remember hearing anything about it either

shelley.m.
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
That would be my guess is that being back on the road Elvis had his mind on touring.
I never heard why no publicity shots were taken......well at least I can't remember what was said about it.

Weren't the publicity shot from the 50's and 60's basically used for or from Elvis' movies? That's my guess why,there weren't any publicity shot from the 70's.

WHITETIGERMAN
01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Weren't the publicity shot from the 50's and 60's basically used for or from Elvis' movies? That's my guess why,there weren't any publicity shot from the 70's.

That would be my guess shelley.

The Welz
01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I guess that Elvis was just tired of these things. He had been sitting for such photos all through the 1960s and simply hated photo sessions like that.

But I also believe that a recording artist has to do such things once in a while to give his record company pictures to work with for the record covers. To put a live picture on each and every cover (with the exception of a live recording in 1974 :hmm:) is rather poor.

WHITETIGERMAN
01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I guess that Elvis was just tired of these things. He had been sitting for such photos all through the 1960s and simply hated photo sessions like that.

But I also believe that a recording artist has to do such things once in a while to give his record company pictures to work with for the record covers. To put a live picture on each and every cover (with the exception of a live recording in 1974 :hmm:) is rather poor.

you're right about the covers in the 70's.they could have used some candid shots in my opinion that were taken at the time.if they were able to have access to some.

shelley.m.
01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Ya,taking publicity photos takes a lot of time.It takes time to set up shots etc...I don't think Elvis was the kind of person to just sit and pose for hours.

WHITETIGERMAN
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Ya,taking publicity photos takes a lot of time.It takes time to set up shots etc...I don't think Elvis was the kind of person to just sit and pose for hours.

I heard that he did not like getting up to go do those shoots.....I think it was in Jerry Scilling's book.There are certain pics you can look and tell that he just did not want to be there.

Raised on Rock
01-09-2009, 01:14 AM
So Elvis wasn´t fond for photo sessions, and when Parker had people like Ed Bonja working for him, taking rolls of live pics that could well be used for promo posters, record covers and whatever merchandise, guess we got the reason. I personally prefer a live photo than a studio one, there is much more excitement on a live shot than on one dude sitting there as handsome he maybe, but well maybe that is just my men point of view, guess the girls may have liked some studio shots from the 70's as well.

Vegas King
01-09-2009, 01:58 AM
He needed publicity photos in '50 and '60 for movie posters.
Later he used concert photos

Cliff
01-09-2009, 02:05 AM

Time was what we had a lot of in those days. Could you imagine the Egytians saying " Nah,let's not build the pyramids. It'll take too much time". Some of those studio shots are works of art for that reason. Something I heard once was that if Elvis posed for a shot were he was supposed to be singing,he would sing. He felt stupid just standing there with his mouth open.

http://www.gifmania.co.uk/Star-Trek/spock/spock1.gif

WHITETIGERMAN
01-09-2009, 02:35 AM
So Elvis wasn´t fond for photo sessions, and when Parker had people like Ed Bonja working for him, taking rolls of live pics that could well be used for promo posters, record covers and whatever merchandise, guess we got the reason. I personally prefer a live photo than a studio one, there is much more excitement on a live shot than on one dude sitting there as handsome he maybe, but well maybe that is just my men point of view, guess the girls may have liked some studio shots from the 70's as well.

yes.............there is more excitement in the live photos.........but it's nice to see some of those great still shots also.but I'd rather see the man in action.

mozzarella
01-09-2009, 05:44 AM
I see... but I would like to see a studio close-up of our man from 1975 for example... On live shots he rarely looks into the camera as he does on candid shots. But they're blurry. I'm just curious how it would have been like looking in the eye of The King in his forties close up. :)

shelley.m.
01-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Time was what we had a lot of in those days. Could you imagine the Egytians saying " Nah,let's not build the pyramids. It'll take too much time". Some of those studio shots are works of art for that reason. Something I heard once was that if Elvis posed for a shot were he was supposed to be singing,he would sing. He felt stupid just standing there with his mouth open.

http://www.gifmania.co.uk/Star-Trek/spock/spock1.gif

I agree with you there,Cliff.He didn't care for phony pictures.

SleepyJack
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I`m pretty sure that it is mentioned in "Elvis and the colonel" that part of one of the deals in the `70s was that Colonel Parker would provide the photographs for any upcoming albums..so I don`t think the record company had much choice in the matter...not that they ever put too much effort into the album covers anyway. It would have been nice to have had some nice sets of publicity shots from the `70s.

epmoodyblue
01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
baisically .weather elvis didint like taking publicity piccys....he should of had more taken wouldint harm him at all no big deal ....also add an incompetant manager...everything gets outdated..heck even elvis concert tour books they would sell at concerts in-75-76-77 were old all pics were mostly from 71 72 ....freakin parker was adopr head:blink:....the col took elvis to the cleaners big time$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..and its tragic elvis allowed this to happen