PDA

View Full Version : The Jumpsuits

stillrockin
10-19-2004, 09:23 AM
I didn't particularly like the jumpsuits. I thought the 68' look of a normal type suit and black leathers plus the shorter (off the ears) hairstyle suited the 'King' better.

Anyone else not keen on the jumpsuits? I accept of course that in showmanship terms they were a striking alternative.

Lindnet
10-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Stillrockin, I'm with you. I mean, I love Elvis, in every decade, no matter what he wore and how he looked, but the leather suit and shorter hair is just my favorite look. I think there are ALOT of 70's fans on this board though, so you might have really started something! LOL!

Mez
10-19-2004, 11:55 AM
I tend to agree too- although some of the earlier ones (69/70) were cool, and I liked the shirt/suit jacket combo's that he wore in '72.......I absolutely hate the ones with the big puffy sleeves (from '75ish?) :blink:

...was there not talk of a lazer suit that was being designed round about the time he died?

Albert
10-19-2004, 12:03 PM
I love the jumpsuits......

When Elvis turned 40, no big projects on the horizon, no wife, dealing with health and emotional problems, he decided to experiment with jumpsuits. So he started to waer the 2-piece suits.

Unfortunately he returned to the jumpsuits. Big mistake. HUGE mistake. Although he had his moments in the jumpsuits, they didn't fit a 40+, heavier Elvis.

Captain Elwood David
10-19-2004, 05:54 PM
The jumpsuits were cool in the 70's and only EP - then & now - can carry the look off.

I loved them all (with a few design exceptions) and some are simply incredible.

They are much, much more impressive in real life than photos can ever convey. You must always keep in mind the purpose of the stage-suits / capes / belts / rings / necklaces -------> to create a larger than life image of the Man while on-stage.

Mission accomplished.

The jumpsuits are derided because they are worn by every freak imitator under the Sun who have now made them into a cliche ................ and MYTH has overtaken reality.

Even the last Sundial jumpsuit was impressive in-person on EP.

- Capt. "EL."

Abbi
10-19-2004, 07:37 PM
I didn't particularly like the jumpsuits. I thought the 68' look of a normal type suit and black leathers plus the shorter (off the ears) hairstyle suited the 'King' better.

Anyone else not keen on the jumpsuits? I accept of course that in showmanship terms they were a striking alternative.

Why do all you people try to project your fantasies on what Elvis should have looked like. He was a human being of his time . He changed with the times. Everybody had long hair and sideburns in the 70's (just take a look at your fathers or grandfathers's photo's from the 70's). Everybody wore flashy clothes in the 70's as well, even off stage.

Lonniebealestreet
10-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Very well said, Captain. (y)

Abbi, I agree with you, but people are entitled to have certain preferences. You're right though that sometimes people forget about the times and claim that Elvis' look back then was dated or out of touch.:blink:

hounddogone2000
10-20-2004, 02:40 AM
just my opinion but i've always thought that elvis looked his best in a jumpsuit i personally love everyone of the jumpsuits that he wore, to me they don't look a bit outdated,even today,not everyone will agree but what a dull world if we all liked or disliked the same things. 70s elvis in a jumpsuit rocks (y)

Elvisgirl
10-20-2004, 05:43 AM
Why do all you people try to project your fantasies on what Elvis should have looked like. He was a human being of his time . He changed with the times. Everybody had long hair and sideburns in the 70's (just take a look at your fathers or grandfathers's photo's from the 70's). Everybody wore flashy clothes in the 70's as well, even off stage.
i agree 100%

well i really love the jumpsuits. all of them. i find them very fascinating. every single one of them is unique. even if you think that not all of them are that pretty they still are unique because they're a part of elvis and he is unique :)
i especially like the ones with alot of colors :worthy:
and noone could wear them like elvis did. they look fantastic on him
once i wanted one myself :lol: now i dont know...but to try and wear one could be fun though :lol:
:)

rick
10-20-2004, 06:36 AM
I love the jumpsuits and I think that is one of the images that will live with Elvis eternally.
However, I agree he should have chosen something less flashy and less revealing for his 40+ body
rick

Scottishthistle
10-20-2004, 07:27 AM
Oooh! stillrockin! i really don't agree with you on this one. That whole jumpsuit thing was Elvis style and if anyone else where to wear what he did back then it would'nt look right..impersonators are a prime example of that they look stupid..what he wore just looked so right on him..so sexy ;) I love ALL the jumpsuits.

Scottishthistle
10-20-2004, 07:32 AM
he should have chosen something less flashy and less revealing for his 40+ body
rick

what are u talking about? lol the more revealing the better right Elvisgirl? lol ;)

EP4MEUK
10-20-2004, 08:05 AM
I am not a big fan of the jumpsuits but only Elvis could wear them. I think with most people it is not what you wear it is how you wear it :) Elvis had the stance with which to wear such a fashion item and although many others could have done it too none were quite so brave and daring as Elvis as we saw in his early life and I admire him for that... we were born individuals and that how we should stay....way to go :)

love and peace,
Susan :)

NightRider
10-20-2004, 08:44 AM
I love the Jumpsuit look....it was 70's Elvis :worthy: :worthy: The whole image of the man during the 70's was awesome.

I don't know who thought of it...Elvis himself i would guess...but it sure worked. He looked like the Legend that he had become. All the flashy suits...the jewellry....he had the audience in the palm of his hand as soon as he entered the stage.

I agree that he moved with the times....take a look at alot of the stars of the 70's....they weren't too different....but only Elvis had THE look. Who else could you instantly recognise without even seeing his face ? (y)

I think that he moved on from the 60's in a perfect way....awesome though he did look in the leather suit in 1968...i would still go for the jumpsuit look. :clap: It was the finished article. (h)

Elvisgirl
10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
what are u talking about? lol the more revealing the better right Elvisgirl? lol ;)
OH YEAH!!!

Scottishthistle
10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
OH YEAH!!!

:lol: I knew you would agree with me on that one! ;)

Elvisgirl
10-20-2004, 01:16 PM
.......... :)

buttonhead
10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
elvis without jumpsuit is like soup without salt ... I love all his jumpsuit.. (y) (y)

Mez
10-20-2004, 02:21 PM
lol- not only was Elvis the king of rock and roll, he was also the king of bling with all the jewelery he wore- todays rappers should take note! :D

clowdy
10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
I would say that jumpsuits were a little too much :hmm: , but, then again, how the hell to say No to this:

http://www.elvis-in-concert.com/small_images_general/fringe_1.jpg

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I love jumpsuits!! (y)

stillrockin
10-21-2004, 09:32 AM
..impersonators are a prime example of that they look stupid..what he wore just looked so right on him..so sexy ;) I love ALL the jumpsuits.

Why do impersonators always seem to go for the jumpsuit era?

Is it because they are under some illusion that by wearing it they are 99% on target to a good impersonation?

I've seen some on TV and they were all rubbish.

Happy listening - to the real thing of course.

stillrockin
10-21-2004, 09:44 AM

I wasn't aware that I was projecting a fantasy, it was merely an opinion about the 'jumpsuits' nothing more. Not everybody had long hair and flashy clothes in the 70's. Elvis may have changed with the times but he was a leader of fashion not a follower.

stillrockin
10-21-2004, 09:54 AM
You must always keep in mind the purpose of the stage-suits / capes / belts / rings / necklaces -------> to create a larger than life image of the Man while on-stage.

I believe Elvis already had a larger than life image long before the 70's stage attire. IMHO.

Cherokee
10-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Although I agree Elvis was and still is the only man in history who could get away with wearing the jumpsuits, simply because of the way he was built (wide, straight shoulders, slim hips and long legs - the slim hips of course mainly in the early seventies :P ), my preference goes to the simpler designs of the early seventies. Not too many rhinestones or applications. One solid color, fringes (preferably short, the long fringes weren't practical), skin tight.:jawdrop:
Some of the later designs had too much going on, to my taste. That may have started out to deflect from the growing paunch, but in the end he only attracted more attention to his figure that way (especially with the sun dial suit in 1977 :oops:).

But I don't really have a real "fave" look for Elvis. He always looked "Elvis", one of a kind. (y) :clap: :worthy: He always was the trendsetter in each decade with a uniqueness that people tried to copy, but never succeeded.

madschad
10-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Although I agree Elvis was and still is the only man in history who could get away with wearing the jumpsuits, simply because of the way he was built (wide, straight shoulders, slim hips and long legs - the slim hips of course mainly in the early seventies :P ), my preference goes to the simpler designs of the early seventies. Not too many rhinestones or applications. One solid color, fringes (preferably short, the long fringes weren't practical), skin tight.:jawdrop:I agree completely. Elvis looked sooo good in the early 70's suits! :king: :wub:

Elvisgirl
10-21-2004, 10:41 PM
elvis always looked good :)

i prefer the jumpsuits with alot of colors and stuff. they're absolutely stunnig. so beautiful detailed. wow they're amazing :worthy:

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
As my log on name suggests, I love Jumpsuits, but I don't think they should sum up Elvis! the voice does 80% of that for me with all the other parts making the total :clap:

I think you can see how Elvis changed In 1971 the jumpsuits became more detailed, Elvis also wore more jewelry and this reflected on the stage attire.

If you were lucky enough to see Elvis on stage and in the first few rows you would be able to see his face, further back it would be the Jumpsuit that caught your eye and I think thats why they became more flashy. In part showmanship and stage persona and also they became a signature and people expected to see new and more impressive suits and so the circle continued to the last.

impersonators are in part to blame for the way that Elvis is percieved today, it seems that if you are overweight and over 40 you should wear a jumpsuit and belt out songs and wear glasses (Which Elvis rarely did on stage).

Looking back to the 70's yes clothes do date and to a degree this can be a problem, people seem to link the overweight Elvis to the Jumpsuits when there are some periods even when Elvis was little overwieght that he looks great, for instance the Black Phoenix Jumpsuit looks fantastic, simple and plain with no stones etc & no design on the sleeves.

To me the 70's stage attire is Elvis at his most expressive clothes wise, this was reflected in his personal life, not many people could carry off this image and nor should they. Which came first, the jumpsuit or the flairs/bell bottoms?

I know this era is not to everyones taste but it builds up a rich tapestry that had be woven throughout Elvis' whole life, if you go back to the 50's there is the gold lame' suit OTT at the time of wearing it, it was surely a taste of things to come!! (y)