PDA

View Full Version : Gladys's Health?

dstrattenfan
12-11-2008, 05:32 AM
I was just curious as to how she contracted the Hepitits...Now i have read in several books that she was a closet drinker, but then in other books it says she never more than drank a beer? I am sure the diet pills (if she did hide drinking) probably was a factor in her death...I still haven't read the book about her and E, but there is not much about her in most books I have read.

presley31
12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
There is some information on here somewhere. I will try to post it when l find it.

presley31
12-11-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=22100&highlight=galdys&page=3

There is some information in this link. Hope this helps.

dstrattenfan
12-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Well thanks I am glad SOMEONE answered...

epmoodyblue
12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
yeah i would also love to know more about Gladys like tons of info on her..........we owe lots to her ..she gave us...brought elvis into this world..endless:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy to her......how i wish she had lived a long life:'( ........mabye elvis would of lived abit longer if she was around:king:

epmoodyblue
12-11-2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=22100&highlight=galdys&page=3

There is some information in this link. Hope this helps.thank u 4 link(y)

presley31
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
yeah i would also love to know more about Gladys like tons of info on her..........we owe lots to her ..she gave us...brought elvis into this world..endless:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy to her......how i wish she had lived a long life:'( ........mabye elvis would of lived abit longer if she was around:king:

There is a book out there about galdys and elvis. but l haven't read it yet, but maybe that could explain more about elvis mom than what we read in books which is very little.

Book information.. http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/books/book_elvisandgladys.shtml

MissyM
12-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Gladys was a very sweet, sensitive women. I know of no one who talks of her that didn't adore her. But my MIL said she did drink, the pills not so much. She and Vernon stayed togeather through thick and thin but it was not a good relationship. Elvis was her life. I do feel that part of it came out of the fact that Vernon was not a good husband. He didn't like to work and he was a ladies man. This was a women who devoted her life to one child and she was slowly losing him to the world and then he went off to the Army. This was devasting to her. She slipped in and out of deep depression. Her whole world was changing remember. Her main source of happiness was slipping away. She was the happiest when she was doing household things, and being around her son, and caring for him.
Her world was turned inside out. I just think the years of drinking, depression, and worry caught up to her physically. Weather her drinking was the cause of the hepatitis, I don't know. I don't know what kind of hepatitis she had.

TotallyInsane
12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Wasn't it Hepatits C?

epmoodyblue
12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Gladys was a very sweet, sensitive women. I know of no one who talks of her that didn't adore her. But my MIL said she did drink, the pills not so much. She and Vernon stayed togeather through thick and thin but it was not a good relationship. Elvis was her life. I do feel that part of it came out of the fact that Vernon was not a good husband. He didn't like to work and he was a ladies man. This was a women who devoted her life to one child and she was slowly losing him to the world and then he went off to the Army. This was devasting to her. She slipped in and out of deep depression. Her whole world was changing remember. Her main source of happiness was slipping away. She was the happiest when she was doing household things, and being around her son, and caring for him.
Her world was turned inside out. I just think the years of drinking, depression, and worry caught up to her physically. Weather her drinking was the cause of the hepatitis, I don't know. I don't know what kind of hepatitis she had.and when she passed away.... it was a devasting blow to elvis.....i think he never recovered from it... after his mom passed away..well there all together once again elvis Vernon gladys united forever....somewhere in that mansion in the sky:'((y)

john carpenter
12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
and when she passed away.... it was a devasting blow to elvis.....i think he never recovered from it... after his mom passed away..well there all together once again elvis Vernon gladys united forever....somewhere in that mansion in the sky:'((y)I agree with everything yo said. Also IMO Gladys wasn,t an achololic, but pills & booze doesn,t mix (take my word for it) Plus she had hepatitis (spell check) I know she suffered from separation anxiety. And it was her time to go!

presley31
12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
and when she passed away.... it was a devasting blow to elvis.....i think he never recovered from it... after his mom passed away..well there all together once again elvis Vernon gladys united forever....somewhere in that mansion in the sky:'((y)

Great post and l agree too.

Elton
12-12-2008, 12:38 AM
There is a book out there about galdys and elvis. but l haven't read it yet, but maybe that could explain more about elvis mom than what we read in books which is very little.

Book information.. http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/books/book_elvisandgladys.shtml

A very good suggestion as well as a very good read!
You will enjoy this one.

dstrattenfan
12-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Her world was turned inside out. I just think the years of drinking, depression, and worry caught up to her physically. Weather her drinking was the cause of the hepatitis, I don't know. I don't know what kind of hepatitis she had.

Ur post as usual was informative and well opinionated! I was thinking about what u said about Vernon being a ladies man, and it made me think maybe that is where Elvis learned it...

Like President Kennedy's (who I am absolutely in love with) father Joe, he actually taught President Kenny too be a womanizer! Not that Vernon thought E that but maybe in a way that is where he learned it?

Did ur MIL say if Vernon was like that while he and Gladys were married? In books I have only heard that he started this activity after she died..But that might explain some of the underlying tensions between Elvis and Vernon

MissyM
12-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Let's clarify something about the hepatitis thing. She may have has it. But weather it was hep. c is another thing. Hep. C will lead to cirrosis of the liver but it's cause is not alcoholism. You get it through the exchange of body fluids. That is also true of Hep. b. Hep. A is transmitted through contaminated food, utensils, and water. There is a possibility that she had cirrorsis of the liver. (or even hepatitis) but the diagnonsis might get confused because any liver disease will manifest itself in it's symtoms. Jaundice, extreme fatigue. Now, I have no idea who first said it was hepatitis. If an autopsy wasn't done then no one would know for sure. But since there are so many causes of cirrosis and the fact that it could be a combination of things, who knows. Normally cirrosis was put down as the cause of death, with sometime a primary cause with it, if it was known. Even back then, alcoholism was not normally put down as a primary cause. It is now.

MissyM
12-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Ur post as usual was informative and well opinionated! I was thinking about what u said about Vernon being a ladies man, and it made me think maybe that is where Elvis learned it...

Like President Kennedy's (who I am absolutely in love with) father Joe, he actually taught President Kenny too be a womanizer! Not that Vernon thought E that but maybe in a way that is where he learned it?

Did ur MIL say if Vernon was like that while he and Gladys were married? In books I have only heard that he started this activity after she died..But that might explain some of the underlying tensions between Elvis and Vernon

Yet MIL said he was always like that. It is one reason she didn't care much for him. She adored Gladys. My MIL just could not stand a man "steppin out" on his wife. But Gladys put up with it and made the best of things because she loved him and it was so common in the men back then. Remember divorce was very frowned on in that family. It was a different world back then. Now I'm not sure Elvis got the trait from his dad or not, but certain ways you are raised will impact a person. If so many of the people you have close in your life cheat and stay together, I would think that you would be more apt to feel if you do it, your women will stay. But times were changing (in Elvis adult time) and that was not so. It truely was a double standard back then. (in Vernon and Gladys generation (Men cheated but God forbid their wives did. Just the way it was.

riley
12-12-2008, 06:05 AM
some suggest Gladys was a pretty wild lady too in her younger days. I even read that Elvis once mentionned he was not sure that Vernon was his father or rather uncle Vester. Is that just mean gossip or is there also truth about it Missy M ?

I also read somewhere that Elvis said that Vernon knew exactly when he was made because he passed out after the love making, because it was supposed to have been sooooo passionate.......

dstrattenfan
12-12-2008, 06:15 AM
[QUOTE=riley;268724]some suggest Gladys was a pretty wild lady too in her younger days. I even read that Elvis once mentionned he was not sure that Vernon was his father or rather uncle Vester. [QUOTE]

:lmfao: That is so funny..... I doubt that Vester was his dad

MissyM
12-12-2008, 06:21 AM
That to me it's got to be gossip and rumor. Gladys had a love of life and liked to dance and have a good time, but I never heard anyone say she was "wild". Besides Vernon wouldn't have let her out much or given her the opportunity to stray.
As for Elvis saying that..I can't imagine that. He had respect for his mother and those type of things just weren't talked about. Good heaven, my MIL couldn't even say the word sexx when I first got to know her.

dstrattenfan
12-12-2008, 06:38 AM
That to me it's got to be gossip and rumor. Gladys had a love of life and liked to dance and have a good time, but I never heard anyone say she was "wild". Besides Vernon wouldn't have let her out much or given her the opportunity to stray.
As for Elvis saying that..I can't imagine that. He had respect for his mother and those type of things just weren't talked about. Good heaven, my MIL couldn't even say the word sexx when I first got to know her.

I think that E probably would have punched anyone in the mouth that said such a thing about his mother.....

riley
12-12-2008, 06:39 AM
ok thanks for enlightening this to me MissyM

presley31
12-12-2008, 06:40 AM
some suggest Gladys was a pretty wild lady too in her younger days. I even read that Elvis once mentionned he was not sure that Vernon was his father or rather uncle Vester. Is that just mean gossip or is there also truth about it Missy M ?

I also read somewhere that Elvis said that Vernon knew exactly when he was made because he passed out after the love making, because it was supposed to have been sooooo passionate.......

I think there was some mention about her being wild in revelations book.

MissyM
12-12-2008, 06:44 AM
And Vernon would have never talked about her that way to Elvis either. It's just no way the Gladys that I know through the family.

Diane
12-12-2008, 06:45 AM
I kind of remember that it was said that she loved to dance and had quite a sexy little dance of her own and that she was a really good dancer but that is as far as her "wildness" went.

Diane

MissyM
12-12-2008, 06:49 AM
It really depends on what someone means by wild. What someone says is wild, another might think is just having a ripping good time on occasion. It's all in the translation.

presley31
12-12-2008, 06:50 AM
I kind of remember that it was said that she loved to dance and had quite a sexy little dance of her own and that she was a really good dancer but that is as far as her "wildness" went.

Diane

Yes diane that what l have read(y)

presley31
12-12-2008, 06:54 AM
I was just reading something on the family and it said galdy's first stated dating vester and than vernon. I learn something new everyday.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/biography/elvis_presley_family_history.shtml

MissyM
12-12-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm just not sure how anyone would know about a sexy dance. They wouldn't have been there to see it. They would have all been to young. Now if someone told them that, then it would have been something second hand. I've never heard anything but what I posted.

presley31
12-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I'm just not sure how anyone would know about a sexy dance. They wouldn't have been there to see it. They would have all been to young. Now if someone told them that, then it would have been something second hand. I've never heard anything but what I posted.

you should pull out the book revelations from the memphis mafia cause that's where l seen it.

presley31
12-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Find some more information

East Tupelo, Mississippi ('32-'48)
A lively woman full of spunk, Gladys Love Smith loved to sing and dance and was generally the life of any party. She was also four years older than the good-looking Vernon Elvis Presley, whom she met at the First Assembly of God church a week after he had turned seventeen. Nonetheless, a whirl-wind courtship ensued, and they eloped on June 17, 1933, getting married in Pontotoc, Mississippi, less than eight weeks after they started dating. Vernon, still a minor, lied on the marriage license, claiming to be twenty-two, while Gladys reduced her age by two years, to nineteen. Shortly thereafter, Vernon built the now-famous 2-room shot-gun shack in East Tupelo, the Presley's first home. Vernon's cousin Sales Presley and his wife Annie often came over to visit, and Annie became one of Gladys' best friends. Gladys' sister, Clettes, married Vernon's brother Vester in September 1935.

A year after their marriage, Gladys became pregnant. It was a difficult pregnancy, attributable in part to the fact, the doctor told her, that she was going to have twins. Gladys and Vernon were very excited about their impending family, and chose Jesse and Elvis as possible names, Jesse in honor of Vernon's father and Elvis because it was Vernon's middle name. On Tuesday, January 8, 1935, in their little shack at 306 Old Saltillo Road, Gladys, attended by the doctor William Robert Hunt and a midwife named Edna Martin, gave birth to two boys. Jesse Garon was still-born at about 4:00 a.m., but Elvis Aron (pronounced with a long A to rhyme with Garon) made his first appearance in the world about 35 minutes later. Because of the difficulty and pain of pregnancy and the loss of the first twin, this experience traumatized Gladys. She lost some of her care-free nature, becoming irritable and anxious. She discussed the birth often, and the memory of Jesse Garon was always very strong for all the family members. "When one twin died," Gladys believed, "the one that lived got all the strength of both." As a young boy Elvis was told that the bad side of his personality made him take the wrong path: when Elvis decided the right way, it was due to his brother's spirit (see DeWitt, Elvis: The Sun Years, 46). Elvis was also told from quite young age that he was special: God chose him to survive. This led Elvis to feel guilt over the death of his brother. He is said to have visited Jesse's grave, an unmarked site in Tupelo's Priceville Cemetery, often as a child, and he made references to Jesse throughout his life.

Elvis, as has often been commented upon, was unusually close to his mother. Throughout her life he called her by pet names such as "Sat'n", and the two often talked to each other in baby talk. Gladys served as both mother and father when Vernon was away (an increasingly frequent occurrence) - she was his source of security. Both parents were very deferential to Elvis, and often bought him things not in keeping with their low level of money, in order to mask the poverty and insecurity in their lives. Gladys especially constantly worried about her son and was extremely protective of him.

The early years of Elvis' life were hard ones. Gladys' mother, Doll, whom Gladys cared deeply for, died before Elvis was two, leaving her distraught. Vernon also had a difficult time finding steady employment. Not the most responsible of men, Vernon lost job after job. Although, as Peter Guralnik mentions, Vernon was always trying to find ways to support his family- he didn't simply remain unemployed and let it go at that- his lack of a responsible work ethic made it harder for him to get work, especially in the small town of Tupelo, where his reputation spread quickly. Elvis never openly denounced his father, but I feel Vernon's irresponsibility affected Elvis forcefully in many ways: he grew even closer to his mother and developed an almost obsessive-compulsive attitude toward work. (In 1945, at the age of ten, Elvis was already off hunting down part-time work, looking to deliver groceries. He launched a number of little business adventures, including selling fruit discarded by supermarkets, as a way of earning extra money and helping out his family. This drive to escape poverty is what brought Elvis fame and fortune: his determination led him to work harder and longer than most around him. Such diligence let him succeed where others failed. Always known for his perfectionism, Elvis spent hours and hours honing his skills, becoming essentially a workaholic. He loved his father, but was determined not to be like him.)

On November 16, 1937, Vernon and two other men, Travis Smith and Lether Gable, were arrested and charged with forgery: Vernon had altered a check he'd received from his employer Orville Bean as payment for a pig. Reports as to both the original and altered amount vary: DeWitt claims Vernon changed it from $4 to $40, Stanley says from $3 to $8, and Guralnik puts the final amount at less than $4. Whatever the true figure, Vernon ended up sitting in jail for six months before Bean even decided to prosecute him. Then on May 25, 1938, he was sentenced to 3 years in the state penitentiary, known as Parchman Farm. This was very hard on Gladys and little Elvis, who were left without financial support. She lost the house, and Elvis and his mother moved in with her in-laws next door. Still, Gladys was supportive of Vernon, and she and little Elvis often traveled the five hours each way by Greyhound to Parchment Farm to visit his daddy. Finally released on February 6, 1939 (interestingly, Stanley says Vernon was in prison until January 4, 1941), Vernon came out of the experience better off than when he'd gone in: not only was he more physically fit due to the long hours of labor, but he'd learned to work regular hours in a responsible manner. Still, Vernon's ability to maintain employment remained an issue. Elvis had begun to sleepwalk during this period, an affliction which followed him throughout his life. Some say Gladys and Vernon also suffered from sleepwalking episodes, suggesting a hereditary origin to Elvis' disorder.

In 1940, the Presleys, along with Sales and Annie, moved briefly to Pascagoula, Mississippi, because Sales and Vernon had found work on a WPA project. Staying only six or eight months, the Presleys were back in Tupelo by 1941. There, the First Assembly Church served increasingly as their social as well as religious focus. Elvis liked church, especially the music; his love for gospel music remained with him throughout his life. In an interview he commented, "Then there was the preachers and they cut-up all over the place, jumpin' on the piano, movin' ever' which way. I guess I learned a lot from them".

In the fall of 1941, Elvis began school at the East Tupelo Consolidated School on Lake Street, about half a mile away from his home. Gladys proudly walked her son to school each day. Although well-liked, Elvis is remembered as having spent most of his time alone. The Presleys as a whole were known for their insularness. Guralnik notes that in several school photos of the very young Elvis, he seems somewhat apart. "Not shunned," Guralnik says, "just apart". (See Guralnik, Last Train to Memphis, 16). East Tupelo actually had an exceptionally strong educational system at this time, and Gladys pushed Elvis to do well. Although she loved her husband, she knew Vernon was a dreamer, and Gladys didn't want Elvis to be like him.

Vernon had been excused from serving in World War II because he was the sole economic support for his family. In 1942, Vernon worked on the construction of a POW camp in Como, Mississippi, 40 miles from Memphis. He actually moved to Memphis during the war, coming home only on weekends, because he had found work in a munitions plant. It is also thought Vernon made extra money by running moonshine whiskey between Memphis and Tupelo. Unknown to most people, Gladys got pregnant again in the winter of 1942-1943, but suffered a painful miscarriage. Elvis was with her in the hospital when this happened.

Church was not the only place Elvis encountered music in Tupelo: Shakerag, a black slum somewhat close to Elvis' own home, was always alive with music of various kinds, which he loved. Elvis also listened to Tupelo's radio station WELO, which sponsored the "Black and White Jamboree", a kind of amateur hour. A local talent by the name of Mississippi Slim, who played all sorts of music, also worked at the station. He was Elvis' first role model. Slim had a noontime show called Singin' and Pickin' Hillbilly which led into the Jamboree. Elvis went to the station almost every Saturday afternoon to see it. On May 5, 1944, at the age of nine, Elvis made his first public appearance on the Jamboree, where he sang `Old Shep', receiving a ribbon as a prize. Through these various music sources, Elvis was exposed to gospel, hillbilly, and blues tunes quite early in life.

A year after his `debut' on the Jamboree, Elvis got up and sang in front of an audience of several hundred at the annual Mississippi-Alabama State Fair and Dairy Show in the middle of downtown Tupelo. Through the encouragement of his fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Oleta Grimes, Elvis' principal, Mr. Cole, entered Elvis into the WELO radio talent contest for Children's Day, held Wednesday, October 3, 1945, at the same fair. Gladys and Elvis walked there together; Vernon was absent. Gladys remembered, "Elvis had no way to make music, and the other kids wouldn't accompany him. He just climbed up on a chair so he could reach the microphone and he sang `Old Shep'." Elvis won second prize in this contest, which consisted of $5 and free carnival rides all day long. This fair was also where Elvis got his picture taken in the Western booth.

For his eleventh birthday, Elvis received a $7.75 guitar. (DeWitt claims Elvis actually got his first guitar at age nine, but I find Guralnik's argument, that the only reason 10-year-old Elvis had sung unaccompanied in the state fair was due to lack of a guitar, more convincing. Stanley also concurs with Guralnik.) Elvis had wanted a rifle or a bicycle, but Gladys convinced him otherwise. Reverend Frank Smith, the 21-year-old preacher at the First Assembly Church, taught young Elvis his first chords on the guitar, and his own uncle Vester also strummed with him a bit. Smith said he got Elvis to sing in church once in a while, but Elvis remembered otherwise, saying, "I took the guitar, and I watched people, and I learned to play a little bit. But I would never sing in public. I was very shy about it, you know." Interestingly enough, most people agree the piano was actually Elvis' strongest instrument throughout his life, but I found no clues as to where he learned it.

Although music was already by this time his consuming passion, Elvis was also interested in art, music, history, and literature. He got involved in many school organizations and sports. Simply put, Elvis loved school. He loved to read, especially comic books, because of their images of power and success. Many times his grades, which were mostly B's, didn't accurately reflect his abilities, especially since he worked at jobs most of his high school career. This is important to emphasize, because Elvis' intellectual interests and abilities were not only not understood by his family and friends, but were later downplayed, especially by Colonel Parker. The "Hillbilly Cat" label, while promoting his rockabilly image, led many people to falsely believe Elvis himself was an uneducated backwards country boy, which is simply untrue.

Between 1943-1945, the Presleys were constantly on the move. Surprising everyone, Vernon bought a home on August 18, 1945, paying the $200 down payment with money he'd saved from his work during the war. He ended up losing it, however, when he couldn't meet the mortgage payments. In 1946 the Presleys moved into town, a move they considered a real come-down. Living first on Commerce Street, they were then forced to move to Mulberry Row, the least desirable spot in Tupelo which was located next to the city dump. Alcoholism on Vernon's part has been cited as a possible cause for his inability to adequately provide for his family (see DeWitt). In spite of the rough living conditions, living in the city allowed Elvis to attend Milam Junior High, which was a very good school. Nonetheless, the Presley's poverty was visible: in his sixth-grade photo, Elvis is the only child in overalls. Later in life Elvis almost never wore jeans, despite their popularity, because, it is said, they reminded him too much of being poor. In the 1930's and 1940's, jeans and overalls were signs of poverty.

The Presleys were scorned for their lack of money and Vernon's inability to keep a job. They moved around during the course of 1946, and Gladys went back to work at the Mid-South Laundry. By the time Elvis started seventh grade, they had finally moved to a real house at 1010 North Green Street. This house was one of the 3 "white" houses in a black neighborhood, a rather questionable location, but it was also next door to a black church. Elvis was undoubtedly quite influenced by the loud and rocking gospel music he heard there. There were also church revivals in this neighborhood held periodically which lasted for three or more days, full of singing and playing.

It was in seventh grade that Elvis started bringing his guitar to school every day. Most classmates remember he was sort of a loner; serenity and solitude were important to Elvis. One of Elvis' teachers, Mrs. Camp, got Elvis to sing in several classrooms, and he rose in popularity both because of his music and because he was a good student. In September of 1948, Elvis was elected to Student Council, a sign of honor. That same fall, some `rough' boys cut Elvis' guitar strings, but his eighth-grade classmates chipped in and bought him new ones, another testament to his popularity. According to DeWitt, Elvis had begun casually dating a couple years before this, at the age of ten, a not abnormal age in the 1940's for people in the South. His first girlfriend was Caroline Ballard, with whom he went to see movies at the Strand Movie Theater. One of the more famous pictures of young Elvis shows him at age 15 on the front steps of the Lauderdale Courts, his future Memphis home, with Betty McCann. Did Elvis have girlfriends in Milam Junior High as well? I don't know.

The fall of 1948 brought the most drastic change in Elvis' life to date: his family moved to Memphis. Vernon and Elvis had often visited Memphis on the weekends in the late 40's; it is believed Vernon was both looking for jobs and continuing to run moonshine. Other family members had moved to Memphis, as well. Still, the move caught Elvis by surprise. On Friday, November 5, 1948, Elvis' last day of school in Tupelo, he gave a little concert, and the next day they left. Later he said, "We were broke, man, broke, and we left Tupelo overnight. Dad packed all our belongings in boxes and put them in the trunk and on top of a 1939 Plymouth. We just headed for Memphis. Things had to be better". An interesting note: DeWitt states the Presleys left Tupelo in September, 1948, because Vernon had gotten into trouble with the local authorities over his moonshine operations, and that they were living in Memphis a full two months before they enrolled Elvis back in school. I have read at least one other source which also claims September, not November, as the month in which the Presleys moved. Whatever the truth, by November 1948 the Presleys were in Memphis, a city which had a profound effect on young Elvis and his passion for music.

Elvis' memories of Tupelo always remained fond ones

source:http://www.angelfire.com/me2/Jamber/Elvis.html

Diane
12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Very interesting article Jen. There was a lot I'd never read about....thanks for posting.(y)

Diane

SleepyJack
12-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I don`t ever recall anybody having a bad word to say about Gladys Presley....she always comes across as a warm-hearted,genuine lady who always did the best she could for her family. I don`t know if it was the loss of Jesse Garon that made her so over-protective of Elvis.... but it is sad that love and the fear of losing her other son seems to have destroyed her, would she have died had Elvis continued to train as an electrician and never be captured by fame?...So much of Elvis` ambition in the early days was to make a better life her...it`s tragic that it may have only ended up being what took them away from each other.

GraceeD1970
12-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Loved the article. Never knew she miscarried back in 42 or 43. Who knows w/ Vernon being such a ladies man . . . could be have fathered another child in a one-night stand? Gladys surely did lead a very difficult life in raising a child pretty much be herself w/ poverty and despair and the unknown how they'd make it in life. Luckily she did live long enough to see only a glimps of his fame and the beautiful home called Graceland!

Diane
12-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they called Gladys wild because of her love of dancing. In those days you couldn't breathe without being called wild. I'm sure today she would be considered quite tame.

I think her death was one of the saddest things that ever happened and I do believe had she lived, Elvis' life would have been much better and gone in another direction.

Diane

KPM
12-12-2008, 03:07 PM
It really depends on what someone means by wild. What someone says is wild, another might think is just having a ripping good time on occasion. It's all in the translation.
That is so true on every level-depending on your own upbringing and surroundings a word like wild can mean very different things to each person.
I know some people in church that wild means-staying being out after dark on a work night-but not at church.
Wild to me means totally outrageous behavoir on some level. So interpretation of someone elses actions are very dependent on how we live our life-what is normal to me may be wild to someone else.