PDA

View Full Version : Winter 1974

elvispresleytheking
11-22-2008, 06:43 PM
So, on January 26, 1974, Elvis began another Vegas engagement, one that lasted two weeks. From what I have heard, Elvis was looking better than he had in years, and the concerts featured newfound energy, as well as the revival of some songs that had been forgotten in 1973. What I am wondering is why there are so few pictures from this time frame, yet so many from the summer engagement later in the year? I mean, with the Elvis concerts we have video of, the camera bulbs are flashing nonstop. So, does anyone know where these pictures have gone? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

elvispresleytheking
11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
I know this was only two weeks, but still. If we have soundboard we should have pix.

sweet pia
11-25-2008, 08:34 AM
if you go to the gallery under 1974 und type january into the search this category function you get a couple of pictures. if the there given date is correct i would not necessarily say that he looks that good...

Jungleroom76
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
The main reason that we don't have good pictures from this (and several other) Vegas engagements is because of the strict NO CAMERAS policy that the International/Hilton Hotel had in place. :nono:

As for the previous Vegas engagment in August/September '73, there was a book that came out in 2002 entitled CAUGHT IN A TRAP which chronicled this Vegas engagement and included lots of photos from this '73 engagement. In the front of the book, the photographer tells readers exactly how he was able to get so many photos during these shows without getting caught...which included taking his camera apart and reassembling it inside the showroom!!! :blink:

Anyway, hopefully this will help answer your question for you!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

elvispresleytheking
11-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the help.

utmom2008
11-25-2008, 09:19 PM
As for the previous Vegas engagment in August/September '73, there was a book that came out in 2002 entitled CAUGHT IN A TRAP which chronicled this Vegas engagement and included lots of photos from this '73 engagement. In the front of the book, the photographer tells readers exactly how he was able to get so many photos during these shows without getting caught...which included taking his camera apart and reassembling it inside the showroom!!! :blink:

TCB!
Mike

Mikey....do you know if this book is still available, or where I might go to find it? Anyone remember who the author was? I would love to find this book.:D:D(y)

utmom2008
11-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Disregard my questions from above...I just found it on Ebay!(y)(y)(y)

Unchained Melody
11-25-2008, 11:34 PM
This improvement did not start for Elvis that Jan of 1974 but after his Detox at BMH in October-November 1973 Circa. Look at what great tracks he produced during the December Sessions at Stax Studios. And it carried well into 1974 with that kick butt tour of March of 1974 and on...

vegas 74
11-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Mikey....do you know if this book is still available, or where I might go to find it? Anyone remember who the author was? I would love to find this book.:D:D(y)

"Caught in a Trap" sure is a great book!...here are some pics from the book to give you some idea of just how good it is.

vegas 74
11-26-2008, 05:30 AM

If there are any books that I "may" have in my collection that you would like to see inside or get more info on let me know if I can help.

Jungleroom76
11-26-2008, 11:40 AM
If there are any books that I "may" have in my collection that you would like to see inside or get more info on let me know if I can help.

Now THAT is an Elvis room!!! :notworthy

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
11-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Glad you found it Rosanne!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Laura Harrell
11-26-2008, 11:45 AM

WOW!!! :supriced: That's quite a collection :notworthy

moody-blues67
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
I would like to see some pages of the inside of Elvis Behind the image vol 1&2 please:):king:

presley31
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM

wow you have a great collection there in your room.(y)(y)(y)

utmom2008
11-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Thank you...I just might do that!(y)

Glad you found it Rosanne!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

I found it on Ebay and it had a Buy It Now price, so that's just what I did!(y)(y)(y)

Jungleroom76
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I found it on Ebay and it had a Buy It Now price, so that's just what I did!(y)(y)(y)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :clap:

An early Christmas present for yourself!!! :newyear: ;)

Enjoy your book!! :D

TCB!
Mike

midnight
11-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Wow...your collection is amazing!! I would spend hours in there.(y)

midnight
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Rosanne I have never bought anything on Ebay! I will have to give it a try. They have great Elvis things on there.
The book you just ordered....do it have any photos from the concerts you attended? Do you think anyone ever snapped a photo of your scarf and kiss? That would be amazing! Sorry everyone I know I am off topic!:blush:

vegas 74
11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
I would like to see some pages of the inside of Elvis Behind the image vol 1&2 please:):king:

Behind the Image books are pretty much both the same, they are great "candid" photo books. What I like about them is all the pics are not so much as "new" to most fans "but most of the time a single Elvis photo "shoots" are split-up scatterd all around web sites but here at least they are all together page after page. and in some cases a great write up on how some of the photo,s came about.

vegas 74
11-26-2008, 04:36 PM

I would think "Steamrolling over Texas" would be the book for you Rosanne, I would bet you have this already?.. but here are some pics from the book for you just in case.
There are also pics from San Antonio concert april 18 1972 at the start of the book,and some mixed shots up to 1975, and some but not many color pics included as well.....great book!

midnight
11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Wow vegas 74, I really appreciate you sharing some of these books with us. I never heard of "Steamrolling Over Texas" but I like it.(y)

Jungleroom76
11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
THANKS FOR POSTING THE SAMPLE PAGES FROM YOUR BOOK COLLECTION VEGAS 74!!! (y)

I have not seen some of these books either, so they are new to me too!!! :D

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
11-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Dennis, I will say you have the best looking collection that I have ever laid eyes on...simply breathtaking!!

vegas 74
11-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Dennis, I will say you have the best looking collection that I have ever laid eyes on...simply breathtaking!!

Thank you so much Brad....and "you keep on collecting young man!"...enjoy and treasure "everything" you find.

vegas 74
12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
So, on January 26, 1974, Elvis began another Vegas engagement, one that lasted two weeks. From what I have heard, Elvis was looking better than he had in years, and the concerts featured newfound energy, as well as the revival of some songs that had been forgotten in 1973. What I am wondering is why there are so few pictures from this time frame, yet so many from the summer engagement later in the year? I mean, with the Elvis concerts we have video of, the camera bulbs are flashing nonstop. So, does anyone know where these pictures have gone? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Here is a scan of a pic from a Yngvar Holm book.... Jan 74 Vegas

elvispresleytheking
12-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for that. WIsh it was better quality, but oh well.