PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Classic album

Elvislives72
11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
As many of you know RCA was planning to release a half studio/half live album called Standing Room Only back in the summer of 72. But the highly successful Madison Square Garden shows changed their plans. As great a show and album that As Recorded Live At Madison Square Garden was it killed the hope of a possible major hit album. I truly believe that SRO would have had huge success based off of Burning Love.

But what if RCA had thought outside the box and held up on the Now album went for a classic studio album instead with the material cut in Nashville in 71? Elvis could have had a really great classic album in 72 that would be mentioned in the breath of other classic albums. It would have featured great 70's songs like Burning Love, I'm Leavin', It's Only love, We Can Make The Morning, Early Morning Rain, Separate Ways, Where Do I Go From Here, and Always On My Mind. What an album that would have been and what a lost opportunity. Instead we got Burning Love And hits From His Movies.:'(

So what's your take on this lost opportunity?

hounddog
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
i think it would have been great if the Burning Love album was released with the tracks on it with the re released version from the late 90's It's a killer album. http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Love-Elvis-Presley/dp/B00000JJJ0

I've never understood why RCA put Elvis' new hit on an album with old songs from movies on it.

rocknroll
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
As long as it doesn't have Sylvia, we are good.:)

Dino78
11-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Well RCA let several chances go by. Remember the possible album in '63, later released as "For The Asking".
It could have been a great album, but... .

Jungleroom76
11-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I've never understood why RCA put Elvis' new hit on an album with old songs from movies on it.

Actually if I remember correctly, it was THE COLONEL who made the decision to put BURNING LOVE and IT'S A MATTER OF TIME on the budget Camden label, NOT RCA. And again, if I remember correctly, the decision to do this had to do with the fact that The Colonel would get a bigger share of the profits for sales of the Camden album then he would if the song had been released on an RCA album!! :angry:

Indeed a missed opportunity to release a classic album with the songs that Elvis recorded during this time period, as Elvislives72 stated!!! :'(

TCB!
Mike

rickb
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
But I've got a better idea - let's put a genuine modern classic Elvis song on a budget album with some really bad movie songs - that won't help his new-found credibility in the market but it might earn us a few quickj dollars for the gambling tables
Good one Colonel!

waymore44
11-18-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm in TOTAL agreement on your opinion. However, I like the song Sylvia. But, to each his own.

hounddog
11-18-2008, 06:45 PM
"Actually if I remember correctly, it was THE COLONEL who made the decision to put BURNING LOVE and IT'S A MATTER OF TIME on the budget Camden label, NOT RCA. And again, if I remember correctly, the decision to do this had to do with the fact that The Colonel would get a bigger share of the profits for sales of the Camden album then he would if the song had been released on an RCA album!!"

Ah now that makes more sense of how that happened. How or why did the col get to chose what songs went where.

Jungleroom76
11-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Ah now that makes more sense of how that happened. How or why did the col get to chose what songs went where.

The Colonel was the MASTER of the side deal, and I believe that with this particular deal, The Colonel received more royalties from the sales of the budget Camden albums than he did from the mainstream RCA albums. Obviously having a major hit single like BURNING LOVE on any album would be a monster seller, so what better way to line The Colonel's pockets just a little bit more than by putting BURNING LOVE on an album from the budget label from which he would derive more profits for himself!

Plus, I am sure that with all the other side deals that The Colonel made during the movie years with the soundtrack recordings, having all of those less-than-stellar movie songs included on the album probably just increased the amount of royalties that The Colonel made from this album.

As I said before hounddog, I am trying to bring this information to you from memory. If anyone out there can corroborate or correct my information, that would be great!! :D

TCB!
Mike

Trelane P
11-20-2008, 01:30 AM
I agree with comments above. In fact I suggest rca should delete the 70s albums as none of them are clssics and recatalogue his best work with new classic album releases as follows

Best of 1970 sessions
Best of 1971/1972 sessions
Best of 1973 sessions
Best of 1975/1976 sessions

Those 4 albums should be the elvis studio album legacy for future generations. Presented this way they really are classic albums with top drawer songs on. Only detail left are the album titles and song selections. If only I were in charge...

Getlo
11-20-2008, 02:04 AM
really bad movie songs

Some bad movie songs.

Tender Feeling, Tonight Is So Right For Love, Guadalajara, No More and Santa Lucia are fine tracks.

Trelane P
11-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Some bad movie songs.

Tender Feeling, Tonight Is So Right For Love, Guadalajara, No More and Santa Lucia are fine tracks.

No way Tender Feeling. It's a beautiful song. I wish they would release an improved master of it.