PDA

View Full Version : Elvis What Happened

SatninLove
10-31-2008, 08:38 PM
What are your thoughts on the book,Elvis What Happened? by Red and Sonny West, and Dave Hebler?
-SatninLove

Diane
10-31-2008, 08:43 PM
(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

Diane

Getlo
10-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Let's not get into yet another slanging match as to why the book was written, as that has been done to death elsewhere on many threads.

Time has proven EWH to be essentially accurate. There is not one allegation in it about Elvis that is not true. There are some factual errors re dates etc, but that is to be expected.

It is an essential part of any serious fan's reading list.

Had Elvis taken its message earlier, he would possibly still be here today, or at least not have died when he did.

You'll find some fans on here (and many elsewhere) who slam the book without having read it - which always amazes me.

It does make for some often unpleasant reading, but the truth is that Elvis - for a variety of reasons - was unpleasant himself towards the end. And so was his life.

The book is a great insight, particularly into Elvis' final descent.

Read it and learn.

SatninLove
10-31-2008, 10:43 PM
The reason most people slam the book is becouse in my opinion,it shouldnt have been written.There were other ways to get a point across to Elvis,without writing a tell-all book...How would you feel if someone wrote a book like that on you?Elvis was a very private person,and did not appreciate having his whole life written in a book for all of the world to see...no matter how many "facts" were within it...
-SatninLove

Getlo
10-31-2008, 10:56 PM
The reason most people slam the book is becouse in my opinion,it shouldnt have been written.There were other ways to get a point across to Elvis,without writing a tell-all book...How would you feel if someone wrote a book like that on you?Elvis was a very private person,and did not appreciate having his whole life written in a book for all of the world to see...no matter how many "facts" were within it...
-SatninLove

Your thread is about the book itself, not why it was written.

If someone wrote a book like that about me, I'd be embarrassed ... especially if it was the truth.

That is what Elvis feared most; that the real truth about his addiction and habits would get out. He was terrified.

The irony is that, had fans found out, they'd have given him time enough to sort his life out and would never have abandoned him. Most serious fans knew something was wrong in the last two years anyway.

Other ways to get a point across, you say? Like what? Intervention? Confrontation? A direct conversation? Trying to stop the suppliers getting drugs to Elvis? Trying to make Vernon understand what was really going on?

All of these things and more were tried ... by Red and Sonny.

Nothing worked. Elvis was in complete denial, like all drug addicts.

Yes, the book was partly written because they were pissed off at getting fired. And they had a right to be annoyed, given how Elvis left his father to give them a pink slip after years of loyal service.

They did not write the book for money; I know each of them made very little from it, with no residuals today if a copy is sold.

But the inate message of the book - that no one is out of the reach of drugs and that Elvis needed help - came, sadly, too late for Elvis.

The book could have and should have been the kick in the arse, the slap in the face, he so desperately needed.

Had it all worked, Elvis would certainly have forgiven them ... and thanked them ... for giving him the freedom to get his life back.

ehollier
10-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately, I have read it and it was quite painful because so much of it is factual. While I don't agree with the reasons that it was written (to get Elvis to stop taking drugs etc.), it was the first actual private look into his life that was kept so private and away from the public. Whereas EPE keeps Elvis at 1973 and holding, EWH tells of those dark days after 1973 and of his descent into what amounted to his own private hell.

I do believe that much of it is factual regardless of the sensational way it was written. This was actually the first time much of the story had been put into words. Since then, it has been told again and again, and like most stories that endure with each re-telling, I am sure that some of the facts have changed and the point gets lost.

Unfortunately, Elvis died the week after it was out and the point of the Wests and Hebler never got across to him. I think that this book would have a better reputation if it had been written after Elvis died with a less sensationalized writer.

SatninLove
10-31-2008, 11:01 PM
My thread is about the book,but the topic of why it was written was brought up......
and i'm not saying that any of that would work..but in MY opinion,the book shouldn't have been written,no matter the reason..In my opinion,putting someone's life out there for the public to see,is not a way to make a person realize there mistakes,and "problems"..
-SatninLove

ehollier
10-31-2008, 11:06 PM
My thread is about the book,but the topic of why it was written was brought up......
and i'm not saying that any of that would work..but in MY opinion,the book shouldn't have been written,no matter the reason..In my opinion,putting someone's life out there for the public to see,is not a way to make a person realize there mistakes,and "problems"..
-SatninLove

You know, so little was really known about Elvis and his life. All the fans knew was his image and his music. I guess as a fan, I am really greedy about wanting to know who the person really is and how they think and what they feel. Elvis was such a dichotomy - his image was so different than the man and towards the end, his fans did realize that something was terribly wrong. The only information that was put in the press was what Col. Parker was able to control - to some extent.

Getlo
10-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately, Elvis died the week after it was out and the point of the Wests and Hebler never got across to him.

Actually, Elvis did read it. He was receiving copies of the galleys (typeset pages ready for the publisher) before it was going into print, courtesy of John O'Grady and others.

He knew what was coming.

Hence his abject terror.

ehollier
10-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Actually, Elvis did read it. He was receiving copies of the galleys (typeset pages ready for the publisher) before it was going into print, courtesy of John O'Grady and others.

He knew what was coming.

Hence his abject terror.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post -- he read it, at least most of it, but I don't think objectively. I think had he put aside his pride and taken it to heart, maybe the message would have reached him. But then again, he was not going to change regardless of what the book said. I think that he was beyond changing for anyone and each of his close friends and Priscilla have said the same thing - he wasn't ever going to change.

Getlo
10-31-2008, 11:17 PM
I think had he put aside his pride and taken it to heart, maybe the message would have reached him. But then again, he was not going to change regardless of what the book said. I think that he was beyond changing for anyone and each of his close friends and Priscilla have said the same thing - he wasn't ever going to change.

He would have changed, IMO, had he lived to see the book released publicly. He wouldn't have been able to hide any longer and would have had to admit to the world and his fans that he was a drug addict. As addicted as one could be. But not, ultimately, beyond help.

Also, had this happened, his public embarrassment would have been a lesson to a lot of other musicians and actors out there.

Dovey
11-01-2008, 04:46 AM
The good ole' boys that wrote that book were also on drugs pretty heavy ~~ so how do they remember what really happened??

Yes, I have read the book and true friends would never of written that book and published it. It was all about getting even, and money for them!!! ( They were most likely stoned when they wrote it)

Anybody that believes they did it to help Elvis also believe in Alice in Wonderland. Yep, it is just my opinion !! Dovey

MissyM
11-01-2008, 05:38 AM
So you are saying that Red, Sonny, and Dave were equally addicted to drugs like Elvis??
Even if they were doing some drugs and some drinking, they were not in a constant stupor and unable to remember things. That is obvious because of the accuracy of the book. That has not been disputed.
You can hate the messengers and the motives, but that still doesn't change the facts.
Whatever impairment you use to discredit the book, simply doesn't hold any water.

presley31
11-01-2008, 06:41 AM
The good ole' boys that wrote that book were also on drugs pretty heavy ~~ so how do they remember what really happened??

Yes, I have read the book and true friends would never of written that book and published it. It was all about getting even, and money for them!!! ( They were most likely stoned when they wrote it)

Anybody that believes they did it to help Elvis also believe in Alice in Wonderland. Yep, it is just my opinion !! Dovey

well said Dovey(y)(y)

Tony Trout
11-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Let's not get into yet another slanging match as to why the book was written, as that has been done to death elsewhere on many threads.

Time has proven EWH to be essentially accurate. There is not one allegation in it about Elvis that is not true. There are some factual errors re dates etc, but that is to be expected.

Had Elvis taken its message earlier, he would possibly still be here today, or at least not have died when he did.

You'll find some fans on here (and many elsewhere) who slam the book without having read it - which always amazes me.

It does make for some often unpleasant reading, but the truth is that Elvis - for a variety of reasons - was unpleasant himself towards the end. And so was his life.

Read it and learn.

100% spot on as always, Getlo!!! (y)(y)

Your thread is about the book itself, not why it was written.

If someone wrote a book like that about me, I'd be embarrassed ... especially if it was the truth.

That is what Elvis feared most; that the real truth about his addiction and habits would get out. He was terrified.

The irony is that, had fans found out, they'd have given him time enough to sort his life out and would never have abandoned him. Most serious fans knew something was wrong in the last two years anyway.

Other ways to get a point across, you say? Like what? Intervention? Confrontation? A direct conversation? Trying to stop the suppliers getting drugs to Elvis? Trying to make Vernon understand what was really going on?

All of these things and more were tried ... by Red and Sonny.

Nothing worked. Elvis was in complete denial, like all drug addicts.

Yes, the book was partly written because they were pissed off at getting fired. And they had a right to be annoyed, given how Elvis left his father to give them a pink slip after years of loyal service.

They did not write the book for money; I know each of them made very little from it, with no residuals today if a copy is sold.

But the innate message of the book - that no one is out of the reach of drugs and that Elvis needed help - came, sadly, too late for Elvis.

The book could have and should have been the kick in the arse, the slap in the face, he so desperately needed.

Had it all worked, Elvis would certainly have forgiven them ... and thanked them ... for giving him the freedom to get his life back.

Agreed...and if I'm not mistaken, Red actually gets very irate/upset when people keep asking him about the book in interviews - he probably feels like 'what's in the past should stay in the past!". It's been over thirty-one years - it's time we move on.

Unfortunately, I have read it and it was quite painful because so much of it is factual. While I don't agree with the reasons that it was written (to get Elvis to stop taking drugs etc.), it was the first actual private look into his life that was kept so private and away from the public. Whereas EPE keeps Elvis at 1973 and holding, EWH tells of those dark days after 1973 and of his descent into what amounted to his own private hell.

Unfortunately, Elvis died the week after it was out and the point of the Wests and Hebler never got across to him. I think that this book would have a better reputation if it had been written after Elvis died with a less sensationalized writer.

As Getlo already pointed out, attempts at intervention were tried many times - with little to no success. Elvis was hospitalized in 1973 and 1975 in attempts to detox him - but the press was always given the excuse/reasons as being medical problems instead of drugs as the reasons for Elvis's hospitalizations.

Sidenote: The book was released on August 1, 1977 - nearly 15 days before Elvis died.

He knew what was coming.

Hence his abject terror.

Exactly.

presley31
11-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post -- he read it, at least most of it, but I don't think objectively. I think had he put aside his pride and taken it to heart, maybe the message would have reached him. But then again, he was not going to change regardless of what the book said. I think that he was beyond changing for anyone and each of his close friends and Priscilla have said the same thing - he wasn't ever going to change.

agree Liz and great post.

Diane
11-01-2008, 07:53 AM
SatninLove, I feel I should apologize for only replying to your thread with thumbs down on the book. I have no problem with the book being written, what I have a problem with is that there was too much emphasis put on Elvis' addiction and so many details of what it did to him should have been left out in respect for their friend. They literally thrashed him and I feel there was never any need to go that far.

The fact that Red went out and made a living for himself without trading on Elvis' image and stays away from the others who participated in the book makes me believe he is ashamed and sorry he ever took part in it and I applaud him for that.

Diane

medleyofcostumes
11-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Like most individuals 'slipping away' , Elvis didn't realise that most (if not all of it) as true. Elvis himself believed in his projected image (of a pure, humble, shy, god-like, southern boy who entertains). However, he had problems that proved unsolvable eventually. Unfortunately, at the time, the booked shook the hell out of many fans who thought (some unfortunately still think) that Elvis was healthy.

That's why fans of any artist, actor, etc should be able to criticise constructively, to keep their idol on his / her toes, so that the tzunami of success, money and power will not sweep the talent and their life away.

buttonhead
11-01-2008, 03:21 PM
oh no.. not this subject ...again :D

IMO:

I really have no idea why some fans having hard times accepting that most if not all contents of what the bodyguard said on the book is true... especially after 31 years,... I guess we all can forgive but not to forget ?? or just the opposite...:(

I find that the book is really interesting to read .

buttonhead
11-01-2008, 03:23 PM
The fact that Red went out and made a living for himself without trading on Elvis' image and stays away from the others who participated in the book makes me believe he is ashamed and sorry he ever took part in it and I applaud him for that.

Diane

I heard that he own a restaurant ...somewhere in Memphis :secret:

SatninLove
11-01-2008, 03:25 PM
I heard that he own a restaurant ...somewhere in Memphis :secret:

really?that's interesting...:blink::supriced:
-SatninLove

Merry
11-01-2008, 03:31 PM
oh no.. not this subject ...again :D

IMO:

I really have no idea why some fans having hard times accepting that most if not all contents of what the bodyguard said on the book is true... especially after 31 years,... I guess we all can forgive but not to forget ?? or just the opposite...:(

I find that the book is really interesting to read .

Hi buttonhead :D

The reason it is kept going, in my opinion, is because Marty Lacker (otherwise, known from today, as the "dark cloud" lol) still perpetuates it with his comments, and some of the others keep writing more books.

Hugs,
Kimmi

buttonhead
11-01-2008, 03:32 PM
really?that's interesting...:blink::supriced:
-SatninLove

I really wonder what is the name of restaurant he own... maybe someone on this MB knew better, at least that's what i heard from couple years ago.

I really think he will not just ads his restaurant ,...imagine the MOB of Elvis fans :lol: :lol: came into the door and started to make whole lotta shakin going on in there... just the thought of it would probably make him broke and closed that place :)

I AM ONLY KIDDING...

he is one of my favorite elvis close friend.

buttonhead
11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Hy Kimmi, :bye:

I met Marty once,you are right he looked all crabby and stuff , what surprised me was he still married to the same lady (Patsy Lacker)...:blink:

I always wish that he could just shut that pie hole once in awhile... :lmfao::lmfao:

SatninLove
11-01-2008, 03:39 PM
lol.you sound like the actor off of Titanic buttonhead.lol.
I cant stand Marty Lacker..never have been able to,and never will.in my opinion,he's done Elvis more harm than good.
-SatninLove
P.S-He does look crabby.lol.

Merry
11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hy Kimmi, :bye:

I met Marty once,you are right he looked all crabby and stuff , what surprised me was he still married to the same lady (Patsy Lacker)...:blink:

I always wish that he could just shut that pie hole once in awhile... :lmfao::lmfao:

:bye::bye::bye: :D

As Marty Lacker said, publicly on AEK, they share a house :blink: lol

Hugs,
Kimmi

Whoops, I meant "The Dark Cloud" lol

Merry
11-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Pie anyone? lol

http://i33.tinypic.com/2q8658l.jpg

SatninLove
11-01-2008, 04:03 PM
lol.oh lordy......i've lost my appetite.lol.I just got an image.lol.
although,you know that pie resembles Mr.Lacker.lol
-SatninLove

presley31
11-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Pie anyone? lol

http://i33.tinypic.com/2q8658l.jpg

http://smiley.net.ru/bigemo056.gif To funny kimmi

buttonhead
11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Kimmi, he did say that ?? Wow, thats rude .... i guess Mrs. Lacker get use to it ;)

BUT:

the pie part was funny ...:lol::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Merry
11-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes, buttonhead, he did. :hug:

I don't want to be mean, but I have to say it. (I am only jokinig) The pastry, kinda looks like his forehead?

:blush::blush::blush: :D

Diet anyone? lol (Oh gosh, I better stop!).

SatninLove
11-01-2008, 04:18 PM
lol.it does kimmi.your not alone.lol.
-SatninLove

SleepyJack
11-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I don`t doubt that much of what was described in the book did actually happen...not ALL......because then it would be a completely true and honest book....and I`ve never seen one of them. What I want to know is why,if they knew Elvis as well as they claimed to,they would think that this might be a wake-up call that he might listen to?.....They should have known that it could as easily be a bullet to the head as an answer to his problems.....knowing him and his personality,did they really think it could help??

Diane
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Actually I think this "wake-up call" idea was an afterthought to explain why they wrote the book.

Diane

presley31
11-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Sonny, why have you decided to write a second book on your relationship with Elvis Presley, 30years after Elvis: What Happened?, a book you co-authored with you cousin, Red West and bodyguard, Dave Hebler?

Elvis: Taking Care of Business is based on my life with Elvis and all the wonderful memories that I have of those years (1960-1976). I think I need to get on record the love I felt for Elvis and my total commitment to him. The first book didn't do a good job of expressing that fact.

What was the purpose in writing the first book? Many people have speculated you did it for the money. Some said you did it out of revenge because Elvis fired you, and some have speculated that you did it to issue a challenge to Elvis to get off drugs because you loved him. Can you set the record straight?

The reason for writing the first book was 180 degrees from the reason for writing a second book. The first was written as a challenge to Elvis to change his prescription drug habits. He was in total denial and could not see where he was headed. As far as writing it as a motive for revenge for getting fired, I was fired on a couple of occasions prior and never even considered writing a book. If I wanted to do it just for the money, I had an opportunity, as did Red and Dave. We were contacted during the first few days of writing it, by a private detective named John O' Grady, representing Elvis, to come up with an amount for not writing the book. We never even considered a figure, because it would have made us just like those that were giving him whatever he wanted. It would have been much simpler to accept the money, and there is no doubt it would have been a substantial amount, because he didn't want the book written

Looking back, are there any regrets with your involvement with Elvis: What Happened?

I do have some regrets on the book. Not writing it, but the way it was written by the author assigned by World News Group, whom we signed a contract with to write the book. The book is true, but the sensationalism was used so blatantly, that it took away a lot of the sincere message we were trying to send Elvis. In fact, I was supposed to go on a tour to promote the book, but was canceled because of my press conference the day after Elvis' death, for my being very critical of our author, Steve Dunleavy, who was on 'Good Morning America' acting like an *** with another ***, Geraldo Rivera. They were more interested in conveying their dislike for each, than discussing the sensitivity of Elvis' tragic death

source:http://www.rockandrolltours.com/elvis.htm

Merry
11-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Dearest Jen,

You know I love ya heaps? lol; however, with regard to Sonny:

hehe

P0pkigApKEw

TCBGIRL
11-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Why talk about it:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry :

Getlo
11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Abject terror? That's what I love about your posts. You can span across time and know exactly what someone was thinking and how they felt. Why, you even know why they did what they did. Truly with such amazing powers you should be famous. By the way, Red and Sonny,along with some of the others, weren't such great friends.

What on earth are you raving about? And who are you to come on here with such bile and sarcasm directed my way when I have never said anything to you?

Of couse Elvis was terrified. Have you not read any biographies of the man? Guralnick? Hopkins? Just to name two. Ever read reported conversations from John O'Grady, Cilla, Billy Smith, Charlie Hodge? Just to name four. Ever heard the taped conversation between Elvis and Red West?

Red and Sonny were two of the best friends Elvis ever had. Fact.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Go out and do some research before making such bold statements.

The boys have always been open and honest about their drug use and abuse. None of them had drug problems that even slightly approached Elvis'. I imagine you've not tried that many drugs? The highs produced by what the boys were taking may cause distortions, but not memory loss. And if several people (both drugged and not drugged) tell roughly the same story, you can pretty much bet it's true.

It was all about getting even, and money for them!!!

And just how much money do you think each of them made off the book? Please share with us the exact figure. I know precisely the amount Red and Sonny (and presumably Hebler) made, so let's see if our figures tally up.

shelley.m.
11-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I have the book but haven't gotten "into" it yet!!!

KPM
11-01-2008, 08:30 PM
There are 2 trains of thought in the Elvis insiders world-Red, Sonny, Lamar etc.. and then the other side Jerry, Charlie, Joe etc..
IMO they basically all say the same thing on drug addictions, temper problems, infidelities etc...but the differences are in the degree and severity that they describe the problems. The emphasis of each set of insiders is different and it is described differently. There seems at times to be a difference in trying to understand the problems also.
EWH basically was as tabloid as it could be-Dunleavys specialty. I have said this before, any book which stresses one side of anything is unbalanced.
EWH's cover did not say,
"Elvis What Happened" the complex story of a complex man on its cover instead it said,
"Elvis What Happened" The Dark Other Side of the brightest star in the world.
Even though Dunleavy threw in some of the good times, what stood out in EWH was the negative?-"THE DARK OTHER SIDE"
Red, Sonny and Dave were ticked off at Elvis so did they stress the bad to Dunleavy (even subconsciously)?
Or was it Dunleavys tabloid style (and hope of increased sales) that brought this to the book?
Red and Sonny have said it was not the full story they told Dunleavy and it was written to stress the bad. They have never since had much good to say about Dunleavy since the book came out. I'm sure they wish they had got -co-author approval when they signed the contract.
They loved him, had a falling out and in the course of this falling out decided to do this book-then he died. If it was me, that would bother me-that the last involvement to happen between us before he died was something such as this book. It hurt Elvis-and had to hurt them also when he died.
I did not like the book in 1977, I bought it and read it on Monday the 15th of August 1977. Because I was an Elvis fan-I asked myself if they loved him why the book? Then on the 16th he died.
I know they loved him, I know he loved them, but this time the falling out was not straightened out. If he had not died maybe they would have worked it out-or perhaps the book would have been the permanent divide.
Thats my take on the book.

KPM
11-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Bile and sarcasm, I'm sure you very familiar with those terms. Research? Why should I? Let me tell you something. I don't own any books, magazines, tapes, Dvd's or anything connected with Elvis. But Marty Lacker, on another newsgroup, actually complimented me my accuracy on Elvis when he was growing up. Know those posts I delete. Well some have clues, things people don't know. I've grown old and realized people will use you even after you died. Not just so called friends but family also. They don't really care. So. I just take everything with a grain of salt. Oh, by the way, Red and Sonny, WERE friends. And another thing, the book I believe to be true is the Bible. The others are just peoples opinions people who hope others believe them.
I am going to ask a silly question -are you implying you are Elvis?
Or am I just misunderstanding your post?

utmom2008
11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Know those posts I delete. Well some have clues, things people don't know. I've grown old and realized people will use you even after you died.

Good grief....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

utmom2008
11-01-2008, 11:08 PM
They loved him, had a falling out and in the course of this falling out decided to do this book-then he died. If it was me, that would bother me-that the last involvement to happen between us before he died was something such as this book. It hurt Elvis-and had to hurt them also when he died.
I did not like the book in 1977, I bought it and read it on Monday the 15th of August 1977. Because I was an Elvis fan-I asked myself if they loved him why the book? Then on the 16th he died.
I know they loved him, I know he loved them, but this time the falling out was not straightened out. If he had not died maybe they would have worked it out-or perhaps the book would have been the permanent divide.
Thats my take on the book.

Great post Ken...I agree with you all the way. I bought the book the first day it was available...I bought a copy, and my parents each bought a copy. No one wanted to wait for another to finish it.:blink::blush::blush:

utmom2008
11-01-2008, 11:09 PM

Who knows...who cares?;):lol:

kathy parkinson
11-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Bile and sarcasm, I'm sure you very familiar with those terms. Research? Why should I? Let me tell you something. I don't own any books, magazines, tapes, Dvd's or anything connected with Elvis. But Marty Lacker, on another newsgroup, actually complimented me my accuracy on Elvis when he was growing up. Know those posts I delete. Well some have clues, things people don't know. I've grown old and realized people will use you even after you died. Not just so called friends but family also. They don't really care. So. I just take everything with a grain of salt. Oh, by the way, Red and Sonny, WERE friends. And another thing, the book I believe to be true is the Bible. The others are just peoples opinionsM people who hope others believe them.

you don't own any books,magazines,tapes, dvd's or anything connected with Elvis......why are you on an Elvis messageboard? Why are you a member of an Elvis web site?:huh::huh::huh:

midnight
11-02-2008, 04:42 AM
When that book came out I was 11 years old and had been an Elvis fan all throughout my childhood!! My parents did not want me to read it because it was too shocking!! So when I knew they had company or was busy preparing dinner I would sneak into their bedroom and read it. It certainly did not turn me off from being an Elvis fan. Even at that age I felt really sad that he had lived that type of life and hid it for so long. It made him more mysterious and different and I loved him even more!
I just remember kids at school always thought it was so strange that I liked Elvis and when the book came out they were like "I told you so or he is so weird".
I still think the book was wrote out of anger at first! After being Elvis' close friends for so long I think it was a terrible thing that they done. I really do not think they would of wrote it when they did if they knew Elvis was going to die.I am sure they have lived with the guilt of writing this book all these years!
I have read the book again and it seems so mild to what we now know goes on with the rich and famous!! Elvis was a saint compared to what they do now! Our way of accepting things have certainly changed since 1977. I guess it opened the doors to the writing of "tell all" books.

Sonny
11-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Try stay on topic.

No more personal attacks please.

Diane
11-02-2008, 07:30 AM
I agree with KPM. The book could have been written differently without so much emphasis on Elvis' "dark side".

Diane

TotallyInsane
11-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Actually I think this "wake-up call" idea was an afterthought to explain why they wrote the book.

Diane

bingo!!!!!
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

epmoodyblue
11-02-2008, 07:47 AM
:hmm:TOPICS LIKE THIS ALWAY GET OUTTA HAND.IT TURNS INTO A ROYAL RUMbLE REAL QUICK:lmfao:neways book was written a long time ago whats done is done, there can be countless point and counterpoints to weather the book should have been written...written outta anger some lies in book distorted facts and truths also.....a wake up call.nope as the peeps who wrote the book used the drugs also ..who abused it more makes no difference they all abused substance.....so the book was useless.it helped nobody(n):king::cold::newyear::king:

presley31
11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Still going to say that any real friends would find a better way to help there frends than write a book.

Getlo
11-03-2008, 02:22 AM
By the way, Red and Sonny,along with some of the others, weren't such great friends.

Oh, by the way, Red and Sonny, WERE friends

So, which is it then?

I see this poster's threads have disappeared. No books, no CDs, no videos in relation to Elvis.

And kudos from Marty Lacker? High praise indeed.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Genie
11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
:mad:
You know people, there is a lot of living and loving to do, and back then Elvis had that and more. He wasn't as "Terrified" as some might think, the writers should have been the ones terrified. Talk about a knife in the back..regardless of truth or non truth, you just don't ever turn of a friend like that, not for any amount of money! Not for any reason, never!
Seeing what it caused, I would have commited suicide..they sold him out, the kiss of Judas, if you will, for 30 pieces of silver..

What on earth are you raving about? And who are you to come on here with such bile and sarcasm directed my way when I have never said anything to you?

Of couse Elvis was terrified. Have you not read any biographies of the man? Guralnick? Hopkins? Just to name two. Ever read reported conversations from John O'Grady, Cilla, Billy Smith, Charlie Hodge? Just to name four. Ever heard the taped conversation between Elvis and Red West?

Red and Sonny were two of the best friends Elvis ever had. Fact.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Go out and do some research before making such bold statements.

The boys have always been open and honest about their drug use and abuse. None of them had drug problems that even slightly approached Elvis'. I imagine you've not tried that many drugs? The highs produced by what the boys were taking may cause distortions, but not memory loss. And if several people (both drugged and not drugged) tell roughly the same story, you can pretty much bet it's true.

And just how much money do you think each of them made off the book? Please share with us the exact figure. I know precisely the amount Red and Sonny (and presumably Hebler) made, so let's see if our figures tally up.

Getlo
11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
He wasn't as "Terrified" as some might think

You are completely wrong on this. See my previous references; there are plenty more.

you just don't ever turn of a friend like that

Just like you don't turn on your friends by cowardly getting your father to fire them, then buggering off so as not to have to face them.

Genie
11-05-2008, 07:41 PM
you don't own any books,magazines,tapes, dvd's or anything connected with Elvis......why are you on an Elvis messageboard? Why are you a member of an Elvis web site?:huh::huh::huh:
:blush:

You know little lady, I am trying to be as polite as possible, but you have about as much right to be here as Tennman or myself, with or without CD's films tapes, etc... It is a forum of speach..talking (typing) reading, whatever...
So your attitude is rather droll and snobby, isn't it?:blink:
~Genie

Genie
11-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Good grief....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:'(

Yep, you are very right Tennman, they use and abuse and then have the nerve to ask "Are you Elvis"
The *****s are brazen, they want the ID number from my caddy, they believe nothing but what they choose to, and they will never get it.. I stand up for what is right, and you can be anybody you want to be...
Let them worry about it...just remember you don't have to..you're not the coward that some of these pople can be, show me the money! Show me the proff, show me the facts.... well, facts change.... truth can be altered to protect the innocent, and doubtful they'd care if they had proof!
Put the shoe on the other foot, and they be whinning and moaning, invasion of pivacy!
Hugs

Genie
11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Or am I just misunderstanding your post?

:doh: Exactly..............you're asking a silly question..........but he is right about a lot..most in fact and without reading it, making it up, wqriting it for profit and the likes... here we have a a man who has hurt no one, and knows everything about Elvis... you figre it out..where is the law that says anyoine need own an Elvis book... looking for truth in print is a bit stupid anyhow, you need to finf truth from the sor=urce and I don't mean Marty or sonny or red..or the others... they fabricated enough for two lifetimes....

Genie
11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
So, which is it then?

I see this poster's threads have disappeared. No books, no CDs, no videos in relation to Elvis.

And kudos from Marty Lacker? High praise indeed.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

:notworthy..Oh yeah Praise and gloryt be to ML..lol
Elvis was no COWARD! He was not a business man and when he wanted to be, he had those who took over because it made themn feel imoprtant... the col..and Vernon, oh yes, big wigs...HA!
Elvis didn;'t like hurting people, there was not a cowardice bobe in his body!
You see it the way they want you to see it, try seeing the truth...
A lot harder to know... with a closed mind, isn;t it?

Getlo
11-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I think I speak for all of us here when I ask you, "Genie", what the hell are you raving about?

Your last three posts make no sense whatsoever, either grammatically or figuratively.

Say hi to Keke for me.

ehollier
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Excuse me, but I'm sort of lost here??? Did I miss something relevant in this thread or is just not making a bit of sense anymore????? I thought we were debating (again) why EWH was written and if EWH should have been written and what would have happened had Elvis not died as it hit the shelves.

Genie
11-05-2008, 11:32 PM
You are completely wrong on this. See my previous references; there are plenty more.

Just like you don't turn on your friends by cowardly getting your father to fire them, then buggering off so as not to have to face them.

Let me give you some friendly advice, I've been around a long time, and if you want to speak for the entire group...I'd like to know who died and made you God? I don't care if you have references to back up your claims, I also don't care if I make no sense to you, gramatically or otherwise....I know what I am talking about and most of the people who know me, realise this is the truth.
Just because you spout off randomly like a book within a book, with quotes and half truths, makes you no expert on the subject of Elvis..at least you liked his dog.
Now, with all due respect, I will speak as I please, if you can't understand english get an interpreter. You haven't got a clue fella....when it comes to me, you are way off base. Check records, you're dealing with someone who knew Elvis, and I fought a long hard 5 years on AEK, I can do it again anytime.
It's discusting the way you rub in life, death, is he, isn't he and oh how they loved that man..the MM would have died for him. They deserved to do exactly that. Back in 76
Meanwhile, don't toss around what the entire group thinks..unless you'd like me to address the entire group with what I think. Stay calm. and be still...unless you know what the heck you're even talking about. Or to whom I might add.:mad:

Getlo
11-06-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't care if you have references to back up your claims

I see. So you don't care that actual provable references are what I source?

Just because you spout off randomly like a book within a book, with quotes and half truths, makes you no expert on the subject of Elvis.

And tell us all exactly what half truths have I posted. Take your time.

Check records, you're dealing with someone who knew Elvis, and I fought a long hard 5 years on AEK, I can do it again anytime.

AEK. Oh, fantastic site. :lmfao: One of the best.

You did not know Elvis, any more than anyone else here did. Either put up or shut up. How did you know him? Or did you meet him a couple of times? Were you part of the inner circle?

No one here will be foolish enough to take you simply at your word. Next you'll be telling us you knew not one but two US presidents by their first names ... and we all know what happened to that poster!

Or are you perhaps like those fans Cricket and Sue? Go the cat!

It's discusting the way you rub in life, death, is he, isn't he and oh how they loved that man..the MM would have died for him. They deserved to do exactly that. Back in 76

Charming. Actually hoping that someone would die. Quite pathetic really.

Meanwhile, don't toss around what the entire group thinks..unless you'd like me to address the entire group with what I think.

Go fo it.

Can anyone here decipher what this person is on about? All contributions greatly appreciated.

:rolleyes:

And didn't you say you were ignoring me?

Genie
11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I think I speak for all of us here when I ask you, "Genie", what the hell are you raving about?

Your last three posts make no sense whatsoever, either grammatically or figuratively.

Say hi to Keke for me.

:mad:I sure I replied to this, it just ended up in the wrong spot.........
And you would be perfect huh? It is not wise or even nice to say that you speak for "ALL OF US" and I don't think you see just how insignificant you actually are in the scheme of things...
I out rank you kid...I don't want a fight, or a war..been there done that..but I would like to see you stay in your own place, and I'll stay in mine.
Few people have ever survived Aladdin........you wont be the first or the last.. that can be taken out... here or anywhere else..so be nice..if possible.
Who cares that you don't understand what I'm talking about, enough pople do..especially one very special one.
This isn't about you, or me..it's about Elvis...so why don;t we leave it at that?:!:

Tony Trout
11-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Elvis was no COWARD! He was not a business man and when he wanted to be, he had those who took over because it made them feel imoprtant... the col..and Vernon, oh yes, big wigs...HA!
Elvis didn;'t like hurting people, there was not a cowardice bone in his body!
You see it the way they want you to see it, try seeing the truth...
A lot harder to know... with a closed mind, isn;t it?

I'm prolly gonna get slammed for saying this but......I'm going to have to disagree here....

To tell your own father to fire your friends and then go out of town and not face them and do the job yourself is cowardly....that's the only thing that angers me about this situation is how Elvis went about firing them. They deserved more than a weeks pay and three days notice...

epmoodyblue
11-06-2008, 05:41 PM
just posting another thingy on this subject.i heard that Rod Stewart after reading elvis what happened ..book freaked him out so much that it made him quit doin drugs..can anybody confirm if this is true:hmm::king::cold::newyear:

kamikazeeab2003
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I bought my copy on Aug 10. 1977. When I first read it I thought it was BS. I was heavily addicted to presciption pain killers myself at the time. When Elvis died one week later I thought "Holy Cr*p" this is real. Within a month I went into rehab and except for a couple of relapses, I have been clean ever since. I don't care what anyone else says about this book, but I believe that without it I might not be here today. I thank Dave, Red and Sonny for that!

epmoodyblue
11-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I bought my copy on Aug 10. 1977. When I first read it I thought it was BS. I was heavily addicted to presciption pain killers myself at the time. When Elvis died one week later I thought "Holy Cr*p" this is real. Within a month I went into rehab and except for a couple of relapses, I have been clean ever since. I don't care what anyone else says about this book, but I believe that without it I might not be here today. I thank Dave, Red and Sonny for that!im happy things worked out fine 4 u(y)..... Rod Stewart by reading that book ..it helped him out made him quit drug use(y):king::newyear::cold:

Merry
11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Tony,

You know, in my Aussie woman's opinion? They weren't "real men".

I'm sorry, but instead of concentrating on what THEY DID WRONG, they were EMPLOYEES, afterall; furthermore, an employer, has every right to fire their employees, if they aren't doing their job. Those men justified themselves, by sucking their thumbs and saying "ohhhh :'(:'(:'(:'(".

Thinking to themselves, "now, everyone will be drawn in, and forgive us!".

They should be "men", they should have realised their mistakes, instead of looking to blame others, for their inappropriate behaviour, that no parent would let their "good girl" near, in any way. You know, there is more, that the general public don't know, the Presley's at the time, took the higher ground, not acknowledging those men's behaviour, and as it should be, they fired them. Mr Vernon Presley released a letter at that time, too, talking about the mens' behaviour and their reasons for firing them. How many Directors of a company fire their employees or designate to their employees who are in that position to do same? All of them. Everyone had their job to do. People need to think in the real world.

At one stage, years ago, people were moved out of their office, then told, the Management thinking that was before the employee could do any damage.

utmom2008
11-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Yep, you are very right Tennman, they use and abuse and then have the nerve to ask "Are you Elvis"
The *****s are brazen, they want the ID number from my caddy, they believe nothing but what they choose to, and they will never get it.. I stand up for what is right, and you can be anybody you want to be...
Let them worry about it...just remember you don't have to..you're not the coward that some of these pople can be, show me the money! Show me the proff, show me the facts.... well, facts change.... truth can be altered to protect the innocent, and doubtful they'd care if they had proof!
Put the shoe on the other foot, and they be whinning and moaning, invasion of pivacy!
Hugs
What in holy hell are you talking about?????? Are you in need of attention????

utmom2008
11-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Say hi to Keke for me.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Merry
11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
What in holy hell are you talking about?????? Are you in need of attention????

Nope

Genie :hug:

Love,
Kim

Getlo
11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Few people have ever survived Aladdin ........you wont be the first or the last.. that can be taken out... here or anywhere else..so be nice..if possible. Who cares that you don't understand what I'm talking about, enough pople do..especially one very special one.

Aladdin? You mean the hotel where Elvis married? You are raving, and making no sense whatsoever. None.

Who is the "one very special one", you refer to anyway? Can everybody else see him, or just you? :blink::blink::blink:

I'm sorry, but instead of concentrating on what THEY DID WRONG, they were EMPLOYEES, afterall

They were, first and foremost, Elvis' friends. Employment was a by-product of the relationship. Elvis was not, in the strictest sense, an employer. And "Elvis" was not a business per se.

Thinking to themselves, "now, everyone will be drawn in, and forgive us!".

Have you even read Sonny's latest book, or more recent interviews with Red and Sonny? They have never, ever blamed Elvis or anyone else for the fact that they did drugs themselves (nowhere near as many as Elvis of course) or for anything else they did.

And as for forgiveness ... Elvis would have been the first to do so had he lived, and taken them back.

They should be "men", they should have realised their mistakes, instead of looking to blame others, for their inappropriate behaviour, that no parent would let their "good girl" near, in any way.

Again, have you read anything more recent than EWH?

Inappropriate behaviour? You do realise, don't you, that Elvis was the King of that as things spiralled out of control?!

Have you spoken to and spent personal time with Sonny, as I have? I'm betting no.

Merry
11-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Aladdin? You mean the hotel where Elvis married? You are raving, and making no sense whatsoever. None.

Who is the "one very special one", you refer to anyway? Can everybody else see him, or just you? :blink::blink::blink:

They were, first and foremost, Elvis' friends. Employment was a by-product of the relationship. Elvis was not, in the strictest sense, an employer. And "Elvis" was not a business per se.

Have you even read Sonny's latest book, or more recent interviews with Red and Sonny? They have never, ever blamed Elvis or anyone else for the fact that they did drugs themselves (nowhere near as many as Elvis of course) or for anything else they did.

And as for forgiveness ... Elvis would have been the first to do so had he lived, and taken them back.

Again, have you read anything more recent than EWH?

Inappropriate behaviour? You do realise, don't you, that Elvis was the King of that as things spiralled out of control?!

Have you spoken to and spent personal time with Sonny, as I have? I'm betting no.

I know you are "Star Struck" Getlo. I've watched Sonny's well oiled responses, how he tries to get his interviewer on side, before he starts (as he probably did with you). I realise you are enamoured. Sonny is too smooth for me.

No, I didn't read his book, I have to spend my money on better things; I did; however, ask a friend of Elvis', who filled me in (a year or more ago). One, whose name, that I'm not at liberaty to divulge, but everyone knows of. Yes, you'll pick this up, and answer that I'm not saying, with relish :D; however, you'll have to live with it.

You can also blame yourself, as these people don't come forward, because of reactions, such as yours.

Elvis was an employer, for heaven's sakes.....lol :lmfao:

You don't think that Sonny, etc., were and are, justifying their behaviour? :lmfao: I'm sorry, lol :lmfao:

Back to your books......by the way, shouldn't we be ignoring each other? :D

Ahhhh, P.S. I can tell you, as a mother, if someone ran down my child/children, publicly, I wouldn't be "taking them back".

You need to have children, to understand, Getlo.

You also need to have a deep, loving, relationship, too, to understand how those feelings of love and protection run deep, that you'd put yourself in front of anything, for those you love, and do anything, for those you love. That is, unconditional, true, and enduring, love. Some people do that, they know who they are :hug:

Getlo
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
I know you are "Star Struck" Getlo. I've watched Sonny's well oiled responses, how he tries to get his interviewer on side, before he starts (as he probably did with you). I realise you are enamoured. Sonny is too smooth for me.

I am not start stuck by anyone, thank you, let alone Sonny West. You know nothing of the man, have never met him. He did not try to get me on side at all. For my meeting and interview, I stipulated that nothing was off limits, and if he tried to set some, the interview would not go ahead. Thankfully, he agreed to that.

No, I didn't read his book

That says it all really. Your opinion is therefore not fully formed, and could not possibly be so. Until you have all information available about someone, you cannot possibly form an accurate appraisal. That's common sense.

Read the book. You might learn something.

As for Elvis' friend ... gee, let me guess. Joe Esposito?

KPM
11-06-2008, 07:28 PM
:doh: Exactly..............you're asking a silly question..........but he is right about a lot..most in fact and without reading it, making it up, wqriting it for profit and the likes... here we have a a man who has hurt no one, and knows everything about Elvis... you figre it out..where is the law that says anyoine need own an Elvis book... looking for truth in print is a bit stupid anyhow, you need to finf truth from the sor=urce and I don't mean Marty or sonny or red..or the others... they fabricated enough for two lifetimes....
I am also lost in what has made this so hostile?
I asked my question because of Tennmans post. I also asked him "or am I not understanding your post". Seemed like a fair question.
He said he knew a lot about Elvis without having read any books, magazines, videos and he said Marty was amazed at how much Tennman knew. (which since you say Marty fabricated enough for 2 lifetimes is not exactly an endorsement of fact by your own standard) So what are we to think when someone posts like this? You can not know everything about Elvis (your words) and not get the info from somewhere. I would say thats a fair statement. So if Tennman did not read, or see videos, or articles on Elvis-but knows everything about Elvis-it may lead to the question who could this be? Elvis would know all about Elvis, that once again would be a fair conclusion to come to. But Elvis is dead-so who does that leave who would know everything about Elvis? Truthfully no one but Elvis could know everything about Elvis. No one but myself could know everything about me and the same goes for everyone here.
That leaves Lisa-could the implication be that Tennman or you are Lisa?
With all due respect I think Lisa is a very truthful, honest no-nonsense person-and I don't think she would come on and make cryptic statements which imply anything.
I think she would say upfront I am Lisa and this is how I feel about these guys, and what you are saying-with no implication nor mystery.
Also I have not been hostile in attitude in my posts or questions. But I wonder why the tone has become so?

Merry
11-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I am not start stuck by anyone, thank you, let alone Sonny West. You know nothing of the man, have never met him. He did not try to get me on side at all. For my meeting and interview, I stipulated that nothing was off limits, and if he tried to set some, the interview would not go ahead. Thankfully, he agreed to that.

That says it all really. Your opinion is therefore not fully formed, and could not possibly be so. Until you have all information available about someone, you cannot possibly form an accurate appraisal. That's common sense.

Read the book. You might learn something.

As for Elvis' friend ... gee, let me guess. Joe Esposito?

No, not Joe. An acquaintence of mine has known Sonny for years.

I was so excited about Sonny's book. I thought "yes, yes, after all these years". I can be so naive. He lost me, with Lisa. I only want people to be happy.

Getlo
11-06-2008, 07:37 PM
That leaves Lisa-could the implication be that Tennman or you are Lisa?

Lisa wouldn't be caught dead posting on an Elvis forum of this type. Not a chance in hell.

Tennman "and" Genie ... we've seen their type before and we will again. They make bold claims about knowing Elvis, but never back it up with any proof ... names, dates, their actual name.

People who knew Elvis, such as Joe, Marty and a couple of others, appear on forums as themselves. They have no need to hide behind an avatar name.

My question to these "two" would be: if you knew Elvis, as you claim, why not tell us who you really are and what the precise connection to him was?

Any person with a real connection to Elvis wouldn't stay anonymous.

If, as Genie said, they are worried about the "truth", why not tell us the truth about who they are? I would imagine that being a genuine friend of Elvis would have been exciting in many ways, and could go a long way to dispelling some of the crap that's been dredged up over the years.

But no. These types hide behind delusion and the hope that people will be sucked in.

Don't believe them if they aren't willing to divulge who they are.

They have "both" been here before trying the same thing on. It gets rather tiring at times.

But at least some of us survived the Aladdin. (I'll give $1000 to anyone who can tell me what that means!) :lmfao:

Getlo
11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I was so excited about Sonny's book. I thought "yes, yes, after all these years". I can be so naive. He lost me, with Lisa.

So read the book!!!

And Sonny was completely correct about Lisa. She may have been Elvis' daughter, but - at 9 years old when he died - had far less of an idea what was going on than she believes today. She was a child, and not around all the time.

Elvis loved Lisa more than anyone else, certainly, but the MM (all of them) knew Elvis better than she did. Even musicians and other friends knew him better than she did.

You can't not read the book just because of something he said about Lisa. Read the whole book to get the whole story. You can't honestly criticise Sonny or make an assessment of him without having done so. EWH is 31 years old now - it is only part of Sonny's journey!

KPM
11-06-2008, 07:45 PM

Let them worry about it...just remember you don't have to..you're not the coward that some of these pople can be, show me the money! Show me the proff, show me the facts.... well, facts change.... truth can be altered to protect the innocent, and doubtful they'd care if they had proof! Put the shoe on the other foot, and they be whinning and moaning, invasion of pivacy!
Hugs
????????????????????? You can be anybody you want to be?
Facts do not change-because if it is a true fact and you change it-it then becomes false. A true fact can not be made false.
Real truth can not be altered-if you alter real truth then it becomes a lie.
Real truth can not be changed into a lie.
I just do not understand what you say.

Merry
11-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Any person with a real connection to Elvis wouldn't stay anonymous.

You are very wrong there.

Have a look on AEK from 1999, or so (from memory), as an example. People have said who they are, and then been treated badly. They choose to stay quiet because of the reactions, for various reasons.

For a journalist, you are so subjective "never ceases to amaze me".

KPM
11-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I am a truthful person and if I had been lucky enough to somehow have had intimate contact with Elvis during his lifetime I would be proud to admit it. I would also be happy to prove it- so that when I said something which is in direct opposition to the prevailing opinons others would know I have direct knowledge.
The problem is no one wants to prove their implications of their direct knowledge. Why? Truth wins out. If what people say is true-then knowing who they are should not be a problem. The mystic posts prove nothing, they just imply.

Getlo
11-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Have a look on AEK from 1999, or so (from memory), as an example. People have said who they are ...

Are you kidding me?!!

That's my whole point ... they said who they were. They did not stay anonymous!

(shakes head in utter disbelief).

And where/when did I ever say I was a journalist?

Tony Trout
11-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi Tony,

You know, in my Aussie woman's opinion? They weren't "real men".

I'm sorry, but instead of concentrating on what THEY DID WRONG, they were EMPLOYEES, afterall; furthermore, an employer, has every right to fire their employees, if they aren't doing their job.

True...but they were doing their job by protecting Elvis and trying to get him the help he kept avoiding to get because he thought he was in control.

An employer has every right to fire their employees? Well.....that begs the question:

Why did Elvis (the employer) chicken out and have his father (his business manager....*laughs uncontrollably at that title that Elvis gave him*) fire them? Elvis should have been man enough to do the dirty work, IMO. That's what I'm referring to about Elvis being a coward and that's what angers me about the firing.

Merry
11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I am a truthful person and if I had been lucky enough to somehow have had intimate contact with Elvis during his lifetime I would be proud to admit it. I would also be happy to prove it- so that when I said something which is in direct opposition to the prevailing opinons others would know I have direct knowledge.
The problem is no one wants to prove their implications of their direct knowledge. Why? Truth wins out. If what people say is true-then knowing who they are should not be a problem. The mystic posts prove nothing, they just imply.

I can see your gentle point of view, Ken.

However, people are people, we are all different, and reactions are reactions. When people are treated badly; with some, it only has to happen once, or observe others being treated badly, and learn from it.

Hence, they keep to themselves. This includes the person I used to speak with. This person would be run down by some of the MM who were jealous, as they said they know more. They can't win.

From the arrogance of some, and of others who act the same, we have missed out, and it's everyone's loss....... and yes ........ :'(

Merry
11-06-2008, 09:10 PM
True...but they were doing their job by protecting Elvis and trying to get him the help he kept avoiding to get because he thought he was in control.

An employer has every right to fire their employees? Well.....that begs the question:

Why did Elvis (the employer) chicken out and have his father (his business manager....*laughs uncontrollably at that title that Elvis gave him*) fire them? Elvis should have been man enough to do the dirty work, IMO. That's what I'm referring to about Elvis being a coward and that's what angers me about the firing.

Because, that was Mr Presley's job. He always did it. That didn't come from me, but from someone I know, who, yes, was there, and yes, is still alive, and yes, looks or looked in at the sites, because of this person's love for Elvis.

Tony Trout
11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Because, that was Mr Presley's job. He always did it. That didn't come from me, but from someone I know, who, yes, was there, and yes, is still alive, and yes, looks or looked in at the sites, because of this person's love for Elvis.

But, still.....I think Elvis should have had the decency to fire them and not take the high road and fly out of town. I think that's what angered Red, Sonny & Dave the most - Elvis didn't do it himself. And, honestly, can you blame them? If I worked on a job (this is just as an example - I'm disabled and can't work), I'd think it would be pretty low of my employer to not have the courage to fire me face to face no matter if it was my Father's job to do so or not.

I might be wrong but...that's just my small opinion.

:)

Merry
11-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Are you kidding me?!!

That's my whole point ... they said who they were. They did not stay anonymous!

(shakes head in utter disbelief).

And where/when did I ever say I was a journalist?

If you have a published interview with Sonny, your name is Scott or something, was it Scott Jenkins that you posted? Or is that your friend? Anyway, what do you call yourself? I stand corrected.

Merry
11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
But, still.....I think Elvis should have had the decency to fire them and not take the high road and fly out of town. I think that's what angered Red, Sonny & Dave the most - Elvis didn't do it himself. And, honestly, can you blame them? If I worked on a job (this is just as an example - I'm disabled and can't work), I'd think it would be pretty low of my employer to not have the courage to fire me face to face no matter if it was my Father's job to do so or not.

I might be wrong but...that's just my small opinion.

:)

I've worked for various companies.

The Director (or owner) never, ever, ever, sacked anyone, personally.

Besides, what business is it of ours? That's my gentle opinion.

SweetCaroline
11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

I won't verbalize my feelings on EWH any more than that... there would be too much swearing.

KPM
11-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I can see your gentle point of view, Ken.

However, people are people, we are all different, and reactions are reactions. When people are treated badly; with some, it only has to happen once, or observe others being treated badly, and learn from it.

Hence, they keep to themselves. This includes the person I used to speak with. This person would be run down by some of the MM who were jealous, as they said they know more. They can't win.

From the arrogance of some, and of others who act the same, we have missed out, and it's everyone's loss....... and yes ........ :'(
I understand we are all different-people are not clones.
But the problem ends up being what we are seeing in this thread.
The MM write, speak, have various projects on Elvis-and they take their hits for doing so. Whether they should or shouldn't depends on your point of view-but they take their hits and complaints from fans (we can all agree I think on that)
They are in public view for all to see. If someone from inside the Elvis circle(as close as they were) wants to disagree and use the argument that they know as well as the MM-shouldn't they be as open? So what if the MM would run them down-if the real truth is on their side.
Its not about winning-its about truth. Respectfully to do it from behind a mask just does not seem right.

Merry
11-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I understand we are all different-people are not clones.
But the problem ends up being what we are seeing in this thread.
The MM write, speak, have various projects on Elvis-and they take their hits for doing so. Whether they should or shouldn't depends on your point of view-but they take their hits and complaints from fans (we can all agree I think on that)
They are in public view for all to see. If someone from inside the Elvis circle(as close as they were) wants to disagree and use the argument that they know as well as the MM-shouldn't they be as open? So what if the MM would run them down-if the real truth is on their side.
Its not about winning-its about truth. Respectfully to do it from behind a mask just does not seem right.

Dear Ken,

Some of the MM, as we know, take their hits willingly, as they are selling something. There was jealousy amongst Elvis' ranks, too, we know that. Some keep going "at it", as they are also justifying themselves (in my opinion). One started posting on a newsgroup, as he was selling his book, years ago, pretending he was two (plus) people, answering himself, promoting it, lol :lmfao:

It isn't a perfect world, and we don't know how it feels to be humiliated, until it happens to us. One woman (whom I don't know, it was years ago) was called a disgusting name on AEK, for coming forward. She shared her true story, it was proved that she was being truthful (I've read this on the newsgroup) she was run down, or humiliated. Why? I can only hazzard a guess. I'm not in that mindset. (n)

The people who love Elvis, why would they make themselves known, if they are run down? Ken, I was approached as a mouth piece some two years ago, that is why I had the association, as on the newsgroup, one person and his cronies, were horrible. You know what? I'd do it again. The people behind me would say "Don't let it bother you, say this", I did, willingly, asking more questions, so I could help. The stories that were published, and the story I heard, one in particular, were completely different. I shared my disgust, the unfairness of the entire situation, the feeling of impotency, I was lucky enough to form a friendship with this person. They are great people, Ken, watching out for their friend, still, wanting some truth out there. I would be in fits of laughter, they telling me the stories, the trouble that one MM person would go to, to cover his tracks, on the newsgroup. (n)

You know, it was so bad on the newsgroup with the acidic personalities, that a Psychologist wrote his Doctorate, observing the place? lol It gets so bad, that this is why some people stay away .........

What is truth, Ken? People's own experiences through their own eyes.

Your outlook on other people's lives is more objective then most, you are definately in the minority.

KPM
11-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Dear Ken,

Some of the MM, as we know, take their hits willingly, as they are selling something. There was jealousy amongst Elvis' ranks, too, we know that. Some keep going "at it", as they are also justifying themselves (in my opinion). One started posting on a newsgroup, as he was selling his book, years ago, pretending he was two (plus) people, answering himself, promoting it, lol :lmfao:

It isn't a perfect world, and we don't know how it feels to be humiliated, until it happens to us. One woman (whom I don't know, it was years ago) was called a disgusting name on AEK, for coming forward. She shared her true story, it was proved that she was being truthful (I've read this on the newsgroup) she was run down, or humiliated. Why? I can only hazzard a guess. I'm not in that mindset. (n)

The people who love Elvis, why would they make themselves known, if they are run down? Ken, I was approached as a mouth piece some two years ago, that is why I had the association, as on the newsgroup, one person and his cronies, were horrible. You know what? I'd do it again. The people behind me would say "Don't let it bother you, say this", I did, willingly, asking more questions, so I could help. The stories that were published, and the story I heard, one in particular, were completely different. I shared my disgust, the unfairness of the entire situation, the feeling of impotency, I was lucky enough to form a friendship with this person. They are great people, Ken, watching out for their friend, still, wanting some truth out there. I would be in fits of laughter, they telling me the stories, the trouble that one MM person would go to, to cover his tracks, on the newsgroup. (n)

You know, it was so bad on the newsgroup with the acidic personalities, that a Psychologist wrote his Doctorate, observing the place? lol It gets so bad, that this is why some people stay away .........

What is truth, Ken? People's own experiences through their own eyes.

Your outlook on other people's lives is more objective then most, you are definately in the minority.

If it proved beyond doubt that what she said was truthful-how could she be humiliated?
I have told the truth many times in unpleasant situations-where people have tried to humiliate me-but it was the truth and I did not feel humiliated. If they caught me lying-that would humiliate me. I know what you are saying-but I have never found when I tell the truth that I end up being sorry for it. It may feel unpleasant at times, in unpleasant circumstances but I just feel strongly about it.

Merry
11-06-2008, 10:56 PM
If it proved beyond doubt that what she said was truthful-how could she be humiliated?
I have told the truth many times in unpleasant situations-where people have tried to humiliate me-but it was the truth and I did not feel humiliated. If they caught me lying-that would humiliate me. I know what you are saying-but I have never found when I tell the truth that I end up being sorry for it. It may feel unpleasant at times, in unpleasant circumstances but I just feel strongly about it.

Imagine how bad some people can be, and please use your imagination. I was being subjective on how she felt, so I probably misrepresented. I don't know how she felt, but I know, if I was treated that way, I would not be around that lot. They would try to get to know people, knowing one little thing, they'd be on their way, to humiliate, making things up, if they were told to do so. Think worst case. You had to be careful to not let them know you.

KPM
11-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Imagine how bad some people can be, and please use your imagination. I was being subjective on how she felt, so I probably misrepresented. I don't know how she felt, but I know, if I was treated that way, I would not be around that lot. They would try to get to know people, knowing one little thing, they'd be on their way, to humiliate, making things up, if they were told to do so. Think worst case. You had to be careful to not let them know you.
I can only hope that if someone is an insider here (I stress the IF) and they can prove their connection-that they would be treated with respect.
I can assure you I would treat them with respect. That does not mean I would not question them on points they would make. And if those points only came from this one person out of all the insiders and relatives I would wonder why?
The reason we all feel better in bright light is because you can see and understand so much better when everything is fully illuminated.
If you have dark areas, where things are not clear, where things are in shadows you have a tendency to be more on your guard.
A shadow can be many things-only good strong light tells you the truth.

utmom2008
11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Nope

Genie :hug:

Love,
Kim

HUH????? No sense, as always...hugs and lovies.;);):lol::lol:

Making NO sense...as usual! This is fast becoming a ridiculous joke. I have no clue why this kind of crazy talk is permitted time and time again.:blink::blink::blink::blink:

But at least some of us survived the Aladdin. (I'll give $1000 to anyone who can tell me what that means!) :lmfao:

I will double it.:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Facts do not change-because if it is a true fact and you change it-it then becomes false. A true fact can not be made false.
"Welcome To My World"....:lol::lol:.....Don't feel bad Ken, neither does anyone else around here.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

utmom2008
11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Have a look on AEK from 1999, or so (from memory), as an example. People have said who they are, and then been treated badly. They choose to stay quiet because of the reactions, for various reasons.

I took a tour ONE time of AEK...most of what I saw was just vulgarity. That...and "what certain poster was the love-child of another poster". The silliest bunch of crap I have EVER seen in my life.(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

utmom2008
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
If you have a published interview with Sonny, your name is Scott or something, was it Scott Jenkins that you posted? Or is that your friend? Anyway, what do you call yourself? I stand corrected.

I don't think anyone should "assume" anything on here. That being the case.....I have read numerous times that "Genie" is your Mother.:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Getlo
11-07-2008, 12:15 AM

I didn't say it was published. Nor did I say it was on the internet.

There are many interview with Sonny available, done by many different people.

And I've not called myself anything here on this forum, nor have I stated what I do for a living.

Getlo
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
One woman (whom I don't know, it was years ago) was called a disgusting name on AEK, for coming forward. She shared her true story, it was proved that she was being truthful (I've read this on the newsgroup) she was run down, or humiliated. Why?

I know the woman of whom you speak.

On the contrary, her tale was proven to be a complete fabrication.

Can we assume this person is here now?

Merry
11-07-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't think anyone should "assume" anything on here. That being the case.....I have read numerous times that "Genie" is your Mother.:blink::blink::blink::blink:

I would be honoured if she is, but no, she isn't. :D That was Lacker's way of saying "get her", meaning me.

Merry
11-07-2008, 01:56 AM
I didn't say it was published. Nor did I say it was on the internet.

There are many interview with Sonny available, done by many different people.

And I've not called myself anything here on this forum, nor have I stated what I do for a living.

I must have misread. Wasn't there an interview that you posted some time ago, with Sonny, that you made claim to?

Getlo
11-07-2008, 02:00 AM
I must have misread. Wasn't there an interview that you posted some time ago, with Sonny, that you made claim to?

I have never posted any interview or article that I have written here.

I have met many of the Elvis people; some of the interviews I published, some I did not.

I have never posted a link in this forum to any of them.

Merry
11-07-2008, 02:01 AM
I took a tour ONE time of AEK...most of what I saw was just vulgarity. That...and "what certain poster was the love-child of another poster". The silliest bunch of crap I have EVER seen in my life.(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

I agree with you totally. That lot are nasty people. They gang up on others, without any reason, to do so. :mad:(n)(n)(n)

Note to a friend, you are right on your summary :)

Merry
11-07-2008, 02:09 AM
I have never posted any interview or article that I have written here.

I have met many of the Elvis people; some of the interviews I published, some I did not.

I have never posted a link in this forum to any of them.

You have written an article, then?

Merry
11-07-2008, 02:12 AM
I know the woman of whom you speak.

On the contrary, her tale was proven to be a complete fabrication.

Can we assume this person is here now?

I just re-read this in context.

No, you don't know of whom I speak of.

Getlo
11-07-2008, 03:35 AM
You have written an article, then?

Dozens, yes.

Merry
11-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Dozens, yes.

So, how did I know?

Am I psychic? :lmfao::doh:

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-07-2008, 05:01 AM
I was so excited about Sonny's book. I thought "yes, yes, after all these years". I can be so naive. He lost me, with Lisa. I only want people to be happy.

Hi Jess,

Does this also mean that you would like Sonny to be happy?

I get the distinct impression that you are happy to listen to 'someone' who was 'there' and who supports your idea of what happened. But are unwilling to read Sonny's new book because you are unhappy with comments he has made about Lisa?

You do realise that this sounds like a partisan point of view?

Without the benefit of ALL/BOTH sides of the story you are not going to be able to form a full unbiased bipartisan opinion.

Getlo
11-07-2008, 05:13 AM
I get the distinct impression that you are happy to listen to 'someone' who was 'there' and who supports your idea of what happened. But are unwilling to read Sonny's new book. Without the benefit of ALL/BOTH sides of the story you are not going to be able to form a full unbiased bipartisan opinion.

Precisely, JJ.

For example:

That didn't come from me, but from someone I know, who, yes, was there, and yes, is still alive.

Why choose to believe this other person as opposed to Sonny West? Because Sonny's opinion isn't all fairy dust and sunflowers, tra-la-la-la-la, that's why.

Unless this other person is willing to come forward and say who they are, or at least how they knew Elvis (with proof of course) then their assessments are pretty well useless.

Diane
11-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't think I've ever read so many pages of "nothing" in all my life!:blink: Something without straight-forward proof is "nothing".

Diane

presley31
11-07-2008, 07:37 AM
To be honest it doesn't really matter to me one way of another who has inside information or who doesn't.. It really doesn't make you anymore inportant in elvis world just another fan.

renapap05
11-07-2008, 09:55 AM
(n)(n)(n)It was a shame for our King IMO(n)(n)(n)

MojoElvis
11-07-2008, 11:51 AM
It makes me sad that after all Elvis did for these guys, they would do such a thing but these are people who had just lost their jobs and were operation out of anger and felt betrayed before Elvis did. The thing that gets me is, they enjoyed it every step of the way, taking drugs with him the whole time but Elvis had a lot of double standards too. There's also a lot of broken hearts we are looking at here, friendships all go through it.

I'm sure looking back now, they all regret it.

Genie
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I would be honoured if she is, but no, she isn't. :D That was Lacker's way of saying "get her", meaning me.

:hmm:
I guess he has only heard of words like Firgurativley, Grammatically, and should check out intuitively, and yes I know I don't spell check...so if he is laughing.. it doesn't hurt my feslings..I also hit numerous keys that are incorrect.. he has not heard of adoptive or "Holding someone close to the heart, as though a Mother might or would"
Just another wanna be....if I were your Mother, he probably would dismiss himself from this entire site. Two of us would be a living nightmare for someone who thinks they are a gift from God to the Elvis world.
Luv Ya:lmfao:

KPM
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Jess,

I get the distinct impression that you are happy to listen to 'someone' who was 'there' and who supports your idea of what happened. But are unwilling to read Sonny's new book because you are unhappy with comments he has made about Lisa?

Without the benefit of ALL/BOTH sides of the story you are not going to be able to form a full unbiased bipartisan opinion.
This is very true. I think the more you know-the better chance of forming a good solid idea on any subject be it Elvis, politics, whatever....I don't think it can hurt to hear someone out-you may still not believe or agree but at least you let them make their case.

utmom2008
11-07-2008, 01:53 PM

:hmm:
I guess he has only heard of words like Firgurativley, Grammatically, and should check out intuitively, and yes I know I don't spell check...so if he is laughing.. it doesn't hurt my feslings..I also hit numerous keys that are incorrect.. he has not heard of adoptive or "Holding someone close to the heart, as though a Mother might or would"
Just another wanna be....if I were your Mother, he probably would dismiss himself from this entire site. Two of us would be a living nightmare for someone who thinks they are a gift from God to the Elvis world.

Several questions for you sweetie-pie.
1. I NEVER said you were NOT a Mother, so what in God's name are you talking about in your title?
2. The last part of your strange post...I have to ask again. What in the hell are you talking about????????:blink::blink::blink:
3. Spell check is a GREAT tool to use at times...would you not agree?:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

utmom2008
11-07-2008, 02:28 PM

It's good to see from your title to your post that you agree.......don't assume!!!:D:D:lol:;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
This is very true. I think the more you know-the better chance of forming a good solid idea on any subject be it Elvis, politics, whatever....I don't think it can hurt to hear someone out-you may still not believe or agree but at least you let them make their case.

Hi Ken, your post highlights my thoughts exactly. I don't agree with what Sonny & Co did, however I understand their reasons for doing so. It certainly isn't my place to Judge him or the others for what they have done, I'm sure they will be Judged in good time.

I find it incredible that the strength of feeling against this group of individuals far out ways their crime. It seems that people can be critical of others who haven't even wronged them personally?

Should an indiscretion committed over 30 years ago be held against you for you entire life? judging from this thread it does :supriced:

Unique Dog
11-07-2008, 07:03 PM
What are your thoughts on the book,Elvis What Happened? by Red and Sonny West, and Dave Hebler?
-SatninLove

I think that, maybe, they were trying to help Elvis in their own way to see his addiction for what it was and seek help. On the other hand, why would they want to hang his dirty laundry out for the entire world to see if they "loved" him as they say they did. Doesn`t add up.

Getlo
11-07-2008, 10:00 PM
What IS this person talking about?!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Genie
11-07-2008, 10:01 PM
:hmm:Elvis What Happened ..i really dunno facts are sorta missing..distorted or presented out of content and i would say the end result was abook that does a disservice to both elvis and his fans..anyways the book didint help elvis it kinda finished him off...thats not how you help out true friends:king:

:angry:

God how I have hated that book and many others that followed.. the low blow is when you make a profit off someone else's pain! Then adding insult to misery, you continue to qrite about him after he cannot take up for himself...
That whole gang of thugs knew what they were doing, jelous, envious, ungreatful people who told half truths, if any.
Elvis was a wonderful man. Human yes, mistakes yes, but nothing klike he was made out to be...I mean all the nicities on earth wouldn't sell a lot would it? True fans already love him, never have stopped and never have used him to further a writing career of sorts...although ML used a Ghost writer so to speak... maybe at night another "Ghost" hangs around...his house, or heart...
I'd love it if it were to materialize and ask WHY!?
Elvis is still the King, those writers are....are.... hummmm well....:doh:can't think of anything that fits that is bad enough oithout being tossed out! lol

ehollier
11-07-2008, 10:05 PM

.....although ML used a Ghost writer so to speak... maybe at night another "Ghost" hangs around...his house, or heart...
I'd love it if it were to materialize and ask WHY!?........

I'd have to wonder about this one myself...........

Getlo
11-07-2008, 10:09 PM
the low blow is when you make a profit off someone else's pain!

And just how much money do you think the boys made from the book?

Seeing as how you knew Elvis and all (:lmfao:), I'm sure you must have some idea.

Genie
11-07-2008, 10:17 PM

Read it and learn.
You can't cure cancer with a book! I'm a retired RN.. and I also hold a degree in Animal Science.. having tried to be a Vet, but couldn't take the pain I saw everyday.... I alsao couldn't take the pain I saw in Elvis.. now and then.....
Like the song.. "There's a fool such as I?"
Well Pardon the pun, but you don't get people off of drugs, (if they are on them) and legally he was... no street drugs... he was in pain.
So much wrong with claiming they wanted to help him....lol what a laugh...they wanted to fill their bank accounts before being fired for life...
Elvis was too nice of a guy, those who deserved to be ground up into a paper shredder got their jobs back because they had families to support...
The way you say this is all so true...is amazing... were you one of them?
Did you indeed see Elvis in private? You are just making a choice, calling the kettle black without any real knowledge of what happpened or why.

Getlo
11-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm a retired RN...

MARION?!!

Come on, dear, if it's you .. own up! You called him "Babe", right?

No guts, no glory.

Put up or shut up.

You can't cure cancer with a book!

Uhm, okay. Yeah, sure. Er, thanks for that.

Loved your book, by the way. You know, the one you wrote to give your side of the story, and one which you've made money off, and one which you hawked around to make money and sell your story. How did you feel when you gave Elvis the very drugs you hoped he'd quit?

Come on, Marion ... it really is you, isn't it?

Well Pardon the pun, but you don't get people off of drugs, (if they are on them) and legally he was... no street drugs... he was in pain.

What pun?

Did you indeed see Elvis in private?

Did you? If so, and you're a retired RN as you claim, then you must be Marion Cocke.

And if you're not, then you're living in a fairytale.

Or are you the deluded TCB Girl from Topix?

So, come on, Genie ... who are ya?

MojoElvis
11-07-2008, 10:50 PM

God how I have hated that book and many others that followed.. the low blow is when you make a profit off someone else's pain! Then adding insult to misery, you continue to qrite about him after he cannot take up for himself...
That whole gang of thugs knew what they were doing, jelous, envious, ungreatful people who told half truths, if any.
Elvis was a wonderful man. Human yes, mistakes yes, but nothing klike he was made out to be...I mean all the nicities on earth wouldn't sell a lot would it? True fans already love him, never have stopped and never have used him to further a writing career of sorts...although ML used a Ghost writer so to speak... maybe at night another "Ghost" hangs around...his house, or heart...
Elvis is still the King, those writers are....are.... hummmm well....:doh:can't think of anything that fits that is bad enough oithout being tossed out! lol

I agree..there was really no excuse, you're right.

Genie
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I see. So you don't care that actual provable references are what I source?

And tell us all exactly what half truths have I posted. Take your time.

AEK. Oh, fantastic site. :lmfao: One of the best.

You did not know Elvis, any more than anyone else here did. Either put up or shut up. How did you know him? Or did you meet him a couple of times? Were you part of the inner circle?

No one here will be foolish enough to take you simply at your word. Next you'll be telling us you knew not one but two US presidents by their first names ... and we all know what happened to that poster!

Or are you perhaps like those fans Cricket and Sue? Go the cat!

Charming. Actually hoping that someone would die. Quite pathetic really.

Go fo it.

Can anyone here decipher what this person is on about? All contributions greatly appreciated.

:rolleyes:

And didn't you say you were ignoring me?
:mad::lmfao:

Not enough time in this world to dispute you on your so called facts....sorry
And as far as proving who I am...it's not your business.. you like to play male/female.. I'm a woman..one name.. straight forward and honest... you will find many know me.. and many who will shhhhhhhhh while the shhhhhhhhhhhhhing is good..then there are the many friends who supported my long efforts for Elvis..I have both friend and foes in the Elvis world...
Nothing to prove..nothing to gain... so why the mascarade if you are so "Real?" Next worthless comment?

Getlo
11-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Not enough time in this world to dispute you on your so called facts....sorry. And as far as proving who I am...it's not your business..

Then you're a fraud.

A fraud.

presley31
11-08-2008, 05:55 AM

I agree to some of your points.

epmoodyblue
11-08-2008, 08:45 AM
:hmm::hmm:my 2nd opinion..:i have mixed feeling about this book.. ;like i mentioned before ..yeah there were some distorted things in the bookie. ..and many thruths also..:hmm:dunno but if the bookie has helped some peeps out to stop using drugs..then some good was achieved .in releasing it..obviosly elvis was in denial he thought he had no probs..and he def would not listen to anyones advice...:hmm:..its a book about a star who achieved the american dreambut then lost it as a result of drugs...... lets face the facts.........weather we like it or not....its a bookie...that shows avaluable lesson to how drugs can destroyeven a man who has everthing.....:hmm:..for some the bookie is to be praised not condemmed..........for the super devoted elvis fans who think elvis was perfect.....the bookie is baloney:king::cold::newyear

kathy parkinson
11-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Rseanne, we have missed you.

Jungleroom76
11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL REPORTED COMPLAINTS REGARDING THE CURRENT DIRECTION THAT THIS THREAD HAS TAKEN AND AS YOU CAN SEE, SEVERAL OF THE OFF TOPIC POSTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!!!

THE MODERATORS HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS THREAD IN HOPES THAT THE VARIOUS PARTICIPANTS WOULD RETURN TO THE TOPIC AT HAND BUT APPARENTLY THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN WITHOUT MODERATOR INTERVENTION!!!

THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY WARNING THAT WILL BE ISSUED...PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC AND REFRAIN FROM THE OFF TOPIC AND INAPPOPRIATE REMARKS/COMMENTS.

TCB!
Mike

epmoodyblue
11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL REPORTED COMPLAINTS REGARDING THE CURRENT DIRECTION THAT THIS THREAD HAS TAKEN AND AS YOU CAN SEE, SEVERAL OF THE OFF TOPIC POSTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!!!

THE MODERATORS HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS THREAD IN HOPES THAT THE VARIOUS PARTICIPANTS WOULD RETURN TO THE TOPIC AT HAND BUT APPARENTLY THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN WITHOUT MODERATOR INTERVENTION!!!

THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY WARNING THAT WILL BE ISSUED...PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC AND REFRAIN FROM THE OFF TOPIC AND INAPPOPRIATE REMARKS/COMMENTS.

TCB!
Mike
:hmm:with all respect to you and all the mods here....ur
THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY WARNING THAT WILL BE ISSUED...is very intimidating:lmfao: but kidding aside why dont u mod peeps step in when its time to step in before all arrows are hrown all over the place and people get hurt or offended..after many mean posts are placed.:blink:.... then you peeps decide to step in kinda strange way to do things..neways this is just my humble opinion.whicj i am entitled to....dont just say we have been watching this threadhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/icon_sad.gifafter people have been insulted its alittle too late.. step in right away.......peace to you:king::newyear::cold:

Merry
11-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi Jess,

Hiya JJ :D,

I know you probably don't mean to appear patrionising, but it comes across that way. We've always had opposing outlooks. :)

I know what has been said, I know another side to it (that wasn't available to you, I also know, what makes sense, which is a HUGE PART). You know, JJ, when you hear another side of a story, you think "ahhh"? All falls into place? Well, that is what happened.

That said, I stand with my opinion. Mixed into the mix, is knowing one particular person involved, and I will support this person, no matter what, because like all of us with those whom we love, that is what close relationships are.

With regard to life in general? I research, I look into things, I ask opinions, then make up my own mind.

I also, have (some) intuition, lol, as well as an interest in body language thrown into the mix. (Body language speaks louder than words, JJ).

That said, my opinion is mine, and I don't feel that I should be judged. Same as I don't judge you, knowing, what you know, is from what is available for your life experience, and knowledge. You aren't any different to me, in that way? I'm always open to say "I'm wrong". That's me, I'm not perfect, far from it.

If Sonny didn't run down Lisa, (someone typed an excerpt on here when the book came out) he may not have lost his audience with me, but he did. Going on my life experience, that means that he was just "flapping his jaw". :jawdrop: :D

midnight
11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
This thread should have been closed earlier! It just seems to me that some people can come on here and say a lot of nonsense and mean things and get away with it and others can say very little and they get reprimanded!!! I know you all have a job to do but that is just my opinion.

Now I guess we will have to stick to the topic......what was it anyway!!!:lmfao::lmfao:

utmom2008
11-08-2008, 04:52 PM
This thread should have been closed earlier! It just seems to me that some people can come on here and say a lot of nonsense and mean things and get away with it and others can say very little and they get reprimanded!!! I know you all have a job to do but that is just my opinion.

I agree with you 1000% Kim. I would defend my words, but with the week I've had.....I really don't care where this goes anymore.:blush::sad::blush:

KPM
11-08-2008, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jess;260004]Hiya JJ :D,

I know you probably don't mean to appear patrionising, but it comes across that way. We've always had opposing outlooks. :)

I know what has been said, I know another side to it (that wasn't available to you, I also know, what makes sense, which is a HUGE PART). You know, JJ, when you hear another side of a story, you think "ahhh"? All falls into place? Well, that is what happened.

That said, I stand with my opinion. Mixed into the mix, is knowing one particular person involved, and I will support this person, no matter what, because like all of us with those whom we love, that is what close relationships are. ........

:D[/QUOTE

Here is the problem as I see it-you know another side to it from someone-and that someone is suppose to be intimately associated with Elvis-we do not.
I say this with all due respect-if this person is really who they imply and they are 100% sure that Red, Sonny, Marty etc...have totally told the story wrong in books like EWH, and have left out pieces "which would make it all fall into place" then they should write their own book and give us those missing pieces.
I say again the truth can not hurt anyone-the truth stands alone. If this person (or persons) has all these missing pieces which can refute all that has been written since Elvis died-then it seems obvious they need to stand up and put it on record. I do not think that is an unfair statement. :blush:

midnight
11-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I agree with you 1000% Kim. I would defend my words, but with the week I've had.....I really don't care where this goes anymore.:blush::sad::blush:

I knew you would know EXACTLY what I was talking about!(y)

Merry
11-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Here is the problem as I see it-you know another side to it from someone-and that someone is suppose to be intimately associated with Elvis-we do not.
I say this with all due respect-if this person is really who they imply and they are 100% sure that Red, Sonny, Marty etc...have totally told the story wrong, and have left out pieces "which would make it all fall into place" then then they should write their own book and give us those missing pieces.
I say again the truth can not hurt anyone-the truth stands alone. If this person (or persons) has all these missing pieces which can refute all that has been written since Elvis died-then it seems obvious they need to stand up and put it on record.
I do not think that is an unfair statement. :blush:

This person does, in a private manner, talking with the fans, and explaining, which is how it appears to me. As I've said before, it's because of the reactions, from some fans, that sends these people underground. This is why people should be kind!!!! They aren't being paid, they won't make money from Elvis, it will start some "knockers" running others down, which is what they do best, "dividing and conquering", "I knew him better than you", so why bother? (That is my opinion on why they don't, I don't know any more than that).

That is all I know, to expand the subject further for you, Ken. I can't say anymore, you know as much as I. :)

utmom2008
11-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I say again the truth can not hurt anyone-the truth stands alone. If this person (or persons) has all these missing pieces which can refute all that has been written since Elvis died-then it seems obvious they need to stand up and put it on record. I do not think that is an unfair statement. :blush:

You are a correct Ken. What's the expression..."and the truth shall set you free"? As long as I have been on here it seems we have always had somewhat of an unwritten rule......PUT UP, OR SHUT UP. 99% of us have agreed that if you know something..fine....tell us how you know it. That's certainly not asking too much IMO.

utmom2008
11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I knew you would know EXACTLY what I was talking about!(y)

Yes, I did. Thank you for your support!:notworthy(y)

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Hiya JJ :D,

That said, I stand with my opinion. Mixed into the mix, is knowing one particular person involved, and I will support this person, no matter what, because like all of us with those whom we love, that is what close relationships are.

With regard to life in general? I research, I look into things, I ask opinions, then make up my own mind.

I also, have (some) intuition, lol, as well as an interest in body language thrown into the mix. (Body language speaks louder than words, JJ).

That said, my opinion is mine, and I don't feel that I should be judged. Same as I don't judge you, knowing, what you know, is from what is available for your life experience, and knowledge. You aren't any different to me, in that way? I'm always open to say "I'm wrong". That's me, I'm not perfect, far from it.

If Sonny didn't run down Lisa, (someone typed an excerpt on here when the book came out) he may not have lost his audience with me, but he did. Going on my life experience, that means that he was just "flapping his jaw". :jawdrop: :D

I believe a person should always be given the opportunity to rectify/atone for their previous mistakes, having read Sonny's second outing he appears to be sorry for his past and more especially the EWH book. The fact he doesn't like LMP is not a crime, LMP can be quite disagreeable, she has run these guys down very openly and publicly. Basing your opinion from an excerpt from a book can easily be taken out of context, as I'm sure you will agree. It seems to me personality is the guiding factor in making your decisions? For me I don't have to like a person to believe them. Sonny's personal integrity had been compromised in his decision to write EWH, but this seems to have been a knee-jerk response to how he believes he was treated and possibly the fact he thought he could help Elvis confront his addictions, a sort of short, sharp, shock if you like.

From interviews I have seen/read I believe that Sonny has done much to repair this damage and has tried to set the record straight. he isn't perfect and he would be the first to admit to this.

I would hope that even if you couldn't be persuaded to like Sonny, you would at least take the time to form an opinion from several sources rather than second hand information and intuition from one side of the argument. Sonny's account however distasteful and skewed must have truth in their or the other guys would discount his recollections vociferously, most of what Sonny has written about seems to be the general consensus in varying degrees from those that new Elvis.

I hope that actions we have taken in our lives are not judged quite so harshly when reflected upon from others.

I could understand your feelings if you were talking about one of the Stanley's ;)

Genie
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM

LOL!
Sometimes what you think is a "Fact" is as far from the truth as it cab be, and so when I say you can be anyone you want to be, (wasn't speaking to you by the way) that is basically true.
How we bend the truth, make excuses for small irregularities in the "Facts" if you had it all laying there before you, you really would not know for certain what you were looking at..because you are not Elvis...Only he would know that.. so by assuming you have facts, and all the truth (that indeed changes with time and according to whomever writes it) then I am right, and correct in my statement.

KPM
11-09-2008, 07:58 PM
LOL!
Sometimes what you think is a "Fact" is as far from the truth as it cab be, and so when I say you can be anyone you want to be, (wasn't speaking to you by the way) that is basically true.
How we bend the truth, make excuses for small irregularities in the "Facts" if you had it all laying there before you, you really would not know for certain what you were looking at..because you are not Elvis...Only he would know that.. so by assuming you have facts, and all the truth (that indeed changes with time and according to whomever writes it) then I am right, and correct in my statement.
That is correct only Elvis could give us his story as he saw it-but none of us here is Elvis. I have been saying for years-Elvis's side is missing and we should always remember he would have his own take on every single topic anyone has ever spoke or written about. But you are correct no one else alive can give us his side. That said everyone here has come to agree Elvis was human. So his side would be prone to the same human frailities as we all have-we all tend to play up our good and downplay our bad.
I do not totally believe all that has come out in the last 31 years by all these insiders, but no matter which book you read a basic story is told. Whether you read Priscillas book, EWH, Rev of the MM, Jerry Shillings book, Joes etc.....the underlying story of Elvis Presley is told and pretty consistent IMO
They may differ on the severity of situations, and on the descriptions they use to explain those situations-but the basic story is the same IMO
You did not like the description of "trigger happy" (I think that was the phrase)-but you described how he might shoot out a TV and it was his tv etc....but IMO the basic idea is the same he had guns, he shot guns at TVs, cars, etc....your depiction of that is not the same as "trigger happy" but its the same basic story.
I have pointed out the 2 trains of thought-Red, Sonny Marty, Lamar......
and then Joe, Jerry, Charlie, etc....all tell a similar story just differences in severity and description.

KPM
11-09-2008, 08:15 PM
[/b]

You are a correct Ken. What's the expression..."and the truth shall set you free"? As long as I have been on here it seems we have always had somewhat of an unwritten rule......PUT UP, OR SHUT UP. 99% of us have agreed that if you know something..fine....tell us how you know it. That's certainly not asking too much IMO.
That is my feeling-I am willing to listen with an open mind. But in order to know the real truth you have to be someone who would known to have a close relationship with Elvis-thats a fair statement. You would have to have spent a lot of time-not just a short time here and there- but a consistent presense over a long time. If you spent a lot of time over a long period around Elvis how could your story be so differing from all the others who were also around consistently?
As I have said though if it is the truth-who would you fear? So that is where I have my doubts.
If someone can prove everyone else has lied and not told an accurate account-they have the chance to set it all straight. The chance to clear up all the things that have been implied are false.

Genie
11-09-2008, 08:22 PM

TCB!
Mike

;) Thank you mike, I have to agree, and would love to be on topic... seems it got lost in a thick cloud of dust....what were we talking about again? I have plenty opinions, and plenty to add, but lost track of where I am..lol
Well, no it isn't funny so I should not be laughing, we were talking about "Elvis what happened?" I think, opinions of thr writers and what it amounted to in terms of Elvis' life and/or death?:doh:
I remember the day that this book came out, and people were standing around like they either didn't care or didn't beleieve it, it didn't hurt Elvis as much as they thought it would..same as the rag mags that put hollywood stars in their worst possible light and plaster headlines.. Aliens came to take away Lisa Marie, or some other junk like this... dontcha think it's time we look at these writings as what they are, what they've always been...and always will be.. Trash...
Mike
[/QUOTE]

Merry
11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
That is my feeling-I am willing to listen with an open mind. But in order to know the real truth you have to be someone who would known to have a close relationship with Elvis-thats a fair statement. You would have to have spent a lot of time-not just a short time here and there- but a consistent presense over a long time. If you spent a lot of time over a long period around Elvis how could your story be so differing from all the others who were also around consistently?
As I have said though if it is the truth-who would you fear? So that is where I have my doubts.
If someone can prove everyone else has lied and not told an accurate account-they have the chance to set it all straight. The chance to clear up all the things that have been implied are false.

Hello Ken,

Is there anything the MM have said, that doesn't make sense to you?

If you would like to join (or Rosanne) the AEK Lounge where ML is now, and you both question him with regard to facts (if any) that don't make sense to you, you will get a feel of how the man is, and might receive some understanding as to why people choose to stay away. Please let me know, and I'll give you the link. This would be the fairest way, for all involved. Afterall, one can't know how or why someone feels something, unless they go through it.

If everything does make sense to you, that is a shame.

Perhaps some of the fans here, can supply you, or whomever else feels this way, with questions to ask, besides the ones you may have?

Take care,
Kim

Genie
11-09-2008, 10:37 PM
MARION?!!

Come on, dear, if it's you .. own up! You called him "Babe", right?

No guts, no glory.

Put up or shut up.

Uhm, okay. Yeah, sure. Er, thanks for that.

Loved your book, by the way. You know, the one you wrote to give your side of the story, and one which you've made money off, and one which you hawked around to make money and sell your story. How did you feel when you gave Elvis the very drugs you hoped he'd quit?

Come on, Marion ... it really is you, isn't it?

What pun?

Did you? If so, and you're a retired RN as you claim, then you must be Marion Cocke.

And if you're not, then you're living in a fairytale.

Or are you the deluded TCB Girl from Topix?

So, come on, Genie ... who are ya?:mad:
You my dear are very rude and foolish to assume I am Marion. No. I am not.
I most definately knew Elvis, saw him, spoke with him, and have never written a book about him.
You need to lighten up, stay with at least public knowledge of facts, and not place yourself in the posisition of "King" You are just a person. With a fetish for glory, and it isn't going to happen. Sorry, you loose.
I can be who I am without telling anyone. Some, know who I am.
Who are you?

Getlo
11-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I most definately knew Elvis, saw him, spoke with him, and have never written a book about him.

Prove it.

Sorry, you loose (sic) I can be who I am without telling anyone. Some, know who I am. Who are you?

Someone who isn't sucked in by fiction, that's who.

So tell us, what lies were featured in EWH? What was factually incorrect about the book? What lies were written in it about Elvis?

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-10-2008, 12:58 AM
:hmm:with all respect to you and all the mods here....ur
THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY WARNING THAT WILL BE ISSUED...is very intimidating:lmfao: but kidding aside why dont u mod peeps step in when its time to step in before all arrows are hrown all over the place and people get hurt or offended..after many mean posts are placed.:blink:.... then you peeps decide to step in kinda strange way to do things..neways this is just my humble opinion.whicj i am entitled to....dont just say we have been watching this threadhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/icon_sad.gifafter people have been insulted its alittle too late.. step in right away.......peace to you:king::newyear::cold:

With the greatest of respect the Moderators of this site have always tried to remain impartial and let conversations run their course if possible. We are condemned if we step in too soon, Condemned if we don't. After all the majority of people here are adults! Here we are again, another 'Elvis What Happened' Thread descending into name calling. If people cannot be civil we will have to use those moderation tools to better effect.

Merry
11-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Dear JJ,

I think that good old fashioned manners would be an easy thing to have, and not a difficult thing to do.

If everyone here says who they are, that's fine. They can't expect others to reveal who they are, when no-one else does.

In my humble opinion, the door should be opened, to those who want to share about Elvis, without being ganged up on, as seems to be the trend, of late. We are here to have fun, perhaps make some friends, and perhaps learn to be better people?

If people don't like what they think is incorrect information, as those same people give this advice: "just ignore".

You know JJ, in chat when I first joined, I had some fellow stalk me. Why would we reveal who we are? (It was dealt with).

Kim :D

epmoodyblue
11-10-2008, 06:08 AM
With the greatest of respect the Moderators of this site have always tried to remain impartial and let conversations run their course if possible. We are condemned if we step in too soon, Condemned if we don't. After all Here we are again, another 'Elvis What Happened' Thread descending into name calling. If people cannot be civil we will have to use those moderation tools to better effect.:hmm:u are right jumpsuit:police:junkie the majority of people here are adults..i guess with such touchy threads like this one ..they should know that if the thread starts to get alittle hotty they should have enough brains to either exit ignore the thread and to just stop posin ..before it eventually gets outta hand......best thing would be to always respect every members posts even if we dont agree with them ..we must never insult attack or make fun of any member in this forum we all all like family..well as 4 moi i think we are all like family here:lmfao::cheers::to u Jumpsuit Junkie(y):newyear::cold:

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-10-2008, 07:42 AM
A while back we made a thread in the off topic section called Philosophical Debate (http://www.tcb-world.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6) he we have addressed numerous issues relating to name calling etc, I believe we need to re-visit this topic again!

I will start a new topic in there for us to discuss.

KPM
11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Hello Ken,

Is there anything the MM have said, that doesn't make sense to you?

If you would like to join (or Rosanne) the AEK Lounge where ML is now, and you both question him with regard to facts (if any) that don't make sense to you, you will get a feel of how the man is, and might receive some understanding as to why people choose to stay away. Please let me know, and I'll give you the link. This would be the fairest way, for all involved. Afterall, one can't know how or why someone feels something, unless they go through it.

If everything does make sense to you, that is a shame.

Perhaps some of the fans here, can supply you, or whomever else feels this way, with questions to ask, besides the ones you may have?

Take care,
Kim

If this person will actually say who they are and how they knew Elvis-it would be worthwhile. The internet is notorious for people saying they are someone else-this is a fact.
I am sorry, but hiding behind a veil just makes no sense to me. Perhaps it does to you-but I see not benefit except making it harder to discuss things in a rational mature way. Truth is not hard to defend.

Sonny
11-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Now please let the next reply be on topic again.

If not we will close this thread.

Sonny

Lainey
11-10-2008, 09:04 AM
-SatninLove

I tend to believe that these guys wrote the book as a knee-jerk reaction to the mess they and Elvis were in at the time. Maybe they were hurt. Maybe they wanted to open Elvis' eyes. Only they know their true intentions at the time. Whatever their intentions were, it set the precedent for others to follow the same path in exposing Elvis' private life. Secrets have been told, money has been made - Priscilla included. However, if the demand for Elvis info wasn't out there, the books and videos would not be out there. Elvis fans, in general, tend to soak up every morsel of information available - good, bad or indifferent. Sonny, Red and Dave were just the first to jump on the gravy train of sharing insider information.

Merry
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I believe a person should always be given the opportunity to rectify/atone for their previous mistakes, having read Sonny's second outing he appears to be sorry for his past and more especially the EWH book. The fact he doesn't like LMP is not a crime, LMP can be quite disagreeable, she has run these guys down very openly and publicly. Basing your opinion from an excerpt from a book can easily be taken out of context, as I'm sure you will agree. It seems to me personality is the guiding factor in making your decisions? For me I don't have to like a person to believe them. Sonny's personal integrity had been compromised in his decision to write EWH, but this seems to have been a knee-jerk response to how he believes he was treated and possibly the fact he thought he could help Elvis confront his addictions, a sort of short, sharp, shock if you like.

From interviews I have seen/read I believe that Sonny has done much to repair this damage and has tried to set the record straight. he isn't perfect and he would be the first to admit to this.

I would hope that even if you couldn't be persuaded to like Sonny, you would at least take the time to form an opinion from several sources rather than second hand information and intuition from one side of the argument. Sonny's account however distasteful and skewed must have truth in their or the other guys would discount his recollections vociferously, most of what Sonny has written about seems to be the general consensus in varying degrees from those that new Elvis.

I hope that actions we have taken in our lives are not judged quite so harshly when reflected upon from others.

I could understand your feelings if you were talking about one of the Stanley's ;)

I think JJ, that, because Lisa is Elvis' daughter, and Sonny is supposedly a close friend, to not have a fatherly outlook with Lisa, being her elder, having life experience, being someone who can share with Lisa some of the good times he had with Elvis, is a crime.

Furthermore, you know Lisa was replying to what "they" said on "E Entertainment"? (I think that was the name of the show).

I was disgusted with them too. Lisa reacted with what is her personality and how the world has treated her. She is smart, she replied to them, in the only language they know, their level, and good on her.

I'm not one to keep things going, by the way, I am very forgiving, and to a fault (to my own detriment personally, too, now that's another story, lol). However, I'm disgusted with them, it is still topped up by ML on his Newsgroup/s, speaking for all of the "MM". Lisa has stopped, they haven't. The only reason I say anything, is because the subject is raised.

No, personality has nothing to do with it. Sonny appears as if he can be quite charming, and to my observations, well rehearsed. (Not a compliment).

What they wrote, isn't the general consensus, I disagree. There is a difference. Yes, Elvis wasn't perfect, none of us are. The difference is, is saying things with compassion in context, for the circumstances, not as they did, with a Paparazzi type writer, for profit. The new book? As I said, he lost his audience with me .....

Another thing, JJ.

Most ladies, who were there, who experienced Elvis as his fans in that era, will vehemently disagree with your point of view, because they were there, they felt, they experienced, they sensed. Our senses are very important, extremely important (we are observing body language, too) .......

Marty Lacker:

Quote: As for whether I speak with the guys often, I
speak with Red, Sonny, and Billy at least once a week and with Lamar two or
three times a day. <snip> As for Sonny and Red being sorry they wrote the book,
they both have said, as recently as Monday, that even though the book sold
over 3 million copies, the only thing they're sorry about is it didn't work,
Elvis didn't heed the message and get himself well. Unquote

AEK 21/04/07

ehollier
11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
In hindsight, I tend to agree that EWH was written as a knee-jerk reaction to being fired by Vernon after all of the years of working for Elvis. And, I also think, in their 'man minds', they wanted to send a message to Elvis that his life was completely out of control. Away from the bubble of Elvis' lifestyle and into the real world, it was more apparent just how far out of control he was. WHATEVER the motivation or reasons behind writing this book, I do believe that their story, would have benefited from a more understanding and sensitive author from which their story could have been brought to life.

presley31
11-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I think JJ, that, because Lisa is Elvis' daughter, and Sonny is supposedly a close friend, to not have a fatherly outlook with Lisa, being her elder, having life experience, being someone who can share with Lisa some of the good times he had with Elvis, is a crime.

Furthermore, you know Lisa was replying to what "they" said on "E Entertainment"? (I think that was the name of the show).

I was disgusted with them too. Lisa reacted with what is her personality and how the world has treated her. She is smart, she replied to them, in the only language they know, their level, and good on her.

I'm not one to keep things going, by the way, I am very forgiving, and to a fault (to my own detriment personally, too, now that's another story, lol). However, I'm disgusted with them, it is still topped up by ML on his Newsgroup/s, speaking for all of the "MM". Lisa has stopped, they haven't. The only reason I say anything, is because the subject is raised.

No, personality has nothing to do with it. Sonny appears as if he can be quite charming, and to my observations, well rehearsed. (Not a compliment).

What they wrote, isn't the general consensus, I disagree. There is a difference. Yes, Elvis wasn't perfect, none of us are. The difference is, is saying things with compassion in context, for the circumstances, not as they did, with a Paparazzi type writer, for profit. The new book? As I said, he lost his audience with me .....

Another thing, JJ.

Most ladies, who were there, who experienced Elvis as his fans in that era, will vehemently disagree with your point of view, because they were there, they felt, they experienced, they sensed. Our senses are very important, extremely important (we are observing body language, too) .......

Marty Lacker:

Quote: As for whether I speak with the guys often, I
speak with Red, Sonny, and Billy at least once a week and with Lamar two or
three times a day. <snip> As for Sonny and Red being sorry they wrote the book,
they both have said, as recently as Monday, that even though the book sold
over 3 million copies, the only thing they're sorry about is it didn't work,
Elvis didn't heed the message and get himself well. Unquote

Interesting quote to read Kim. thanks for posting.

utmom2008
11-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Dear Kimmi....I'm sure you are aware that Ken and I are NOT the only ones here that feel that way. I think it would be great if you tell all of us how we can see what the real story is. What a blessing it might be if we were to ALL realize that every single book that has been written about Elvis was total fabrication.:supriced::supriced::supriced:

Dino78
11-11-2008, 03:45 AM
I never read it. I can imagine that Red and Sonny did their contributions to it out of hurted pride. Hebler, I don't know. Even when it was telling the truth, the problem of this book seems to be the writer.

What embaressed me more than the book was the press conference with Hebler and Sonny. Red proved grace under pressure with not participating on this. This diserves respect.

Getlo
11-11-2008, 04:32 AM
I never read it. I can imagine that Red and Sonny did their contributions to it out of hurted pride.

That's it; you never read the book. You are making suppositions.

Read the book, then you can make an informed opinion.

SleepyJack
11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Just a thought....What if some talented individual were to write us two nice big books about Elvis Presley...One could be a "Good Elvis" book and the other a "Bad Elvis" book...and let us decide for ourselves which we would prefer to have?.....Open-minded discussion and the inclusion of all known information is all very well when you are only passing by a subject on your way to another....I for one would be happy enough to never hear another conspiracy theory or "definitive" story ever again....it`s too much of a head-wreck......being an Elvis fan should be fun,filled with music and happiness...not like some never ending debate on the minute details of how well or how badly his life was handled...We all live and die,we all make our mistakes and celebrate our joys....Elvis was just the same.:):)

Diane
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Tony Trout
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I never read it. I can imagine that Red and Sonny did their contributions to it out of hurted pride. Hebler, I don't know. Even when it was telling the truth, the problem of this book seems to be the writer.

What embaressed me more than the book was the press conference with Hebler and Sonny. Red proved grace under pressure with not participating on this. This diserves respect.

There were/are truths in that book but the big problem is the way the booko was written by Steve Dunleavy.

franny
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
There were/are truths in that book but the big problem is the way the booko was written by Steve Dunleavy.

Didn't Sonny or Red West state that they didn't want the book to be written the way it came out?

franny

KPM
11-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Didn't Sonny or Red West state that they didn't want the book to be written the way it came out?

franny
They did not like the tabliod style of Dunleavy. They also did not like that the bad things were what he stressed and the balance in the book.

ehollier
11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
They did not like the tabliod style of Dunleavy. They also did not like that the bad things were what he stressed and the balance in the book.

That sounds like the same thing with Elvis and Me.

franny
11-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Yes, this is what I heard. That is was too late for them to make changes to the book.

franny

Diane
11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I can believe that neither the MM or Priscilla liked what the authors put in the books but on the other hand, where did they get this inside knowledge in the first place? Both should have kept some things to themselves instead of revealing all to these tabloid writers then they wouldn't have been upset at the outcome.

Diane

presley31
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Just a thought....What if some talented individual were to write us two nice big books about Elvis Presley...One could be a "Good Elvis" book and the other a "Bad Elvis" book...and let us decide for ourselves which we would prefer to have?.....Open-minded discussion and the inclusion of all known information is all very well when you are only passing by a subject on your way to another....I for one would be happy enough to never hear another conspiracy theory or "definitive" story ever again....it`s too much of a head-wreck......being an Elvis fan should be fun,filled with music and happiness...not like some never ending debate on the minute details of how well or how badly his life was handled...We all live and die,we all make our mistakes and celebrate our joys....Elvis was just the same.:):)

That was so well said jack (y)(y)(y)(y)

Merry
11-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Well said, Jack :D:D:D

Tony Trout
11-12-2008, 03:15 PM

franny

They did not like the tabloid style of Dunleavy. They also did not like that the bad things were what he stressed and the balance in the book.

Exactly. They were very upset that the really bad things were brought to the front more than the good times they shared with Elvis.

Diane
11-12-2008, 04:29 PM
So again, if they didn't want these things stressed in the books....why tell the writers in the first place? I really don't understand that part of it.......

Diane

Merry
11-12-2008, 04:39 PM
So again, if they didn't want these things stressed in the books....why tell the writers in the first place? I really don't understand that part of it.......

Diane

Can't blame it all on the writer - if the guys didn't want it
printed the way it came out they had every opportunity to have the
writers change it - obviously they were happy with how it all came out
and no effort was made to change anything - blaming it on the writers
is a cop out.
- Hellooooo If you don't want something aired - don't SAY it; once
it's out of your mouth it's a done deal and don't tell me they don't
know that!

ehollier
11-12-2008, 05:10 PM

Diane

Diane, writing a book is as simple as we imagine. I was fortunate to be part of writing a book and it is a very elaborate and complicated task. Getting your thoughts on paper is the easy part, its the actual writing, point of view, checking and double checking for details and doing it 5 more times (with each rough draft), drafts and rough drafts (many many times) before it even makes it to the publisher. Depending on how many assistants Dunleavy had, details and stories get changed around and misquoted, etc. So, its not like Red, Sonny and Hebler had complete control over all issues. They told their story and it was at the mercy of the writer and his office to put it together, rewrite and write again each draft, so it could be published. Same thing with Priscilla's book and Albert Goldman's book. If writing your thoughts on paper and copying them in book form were all that there was to do, then the stories would be much different, but unfortunately, it isn't that easy and we as fans are charged with reading and making wise and intelligent decisions, at the exclusion of the point of view of the actual writer, not person supplying the information and details.

Diane
11-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I can see what you're trying to tell me Liz, but the writers can't invent it all and there was a lot in both books that shouldn't have been told. I will concede that some of it might have sounded much worse in the "telling" that the writer used but there were still quite a few things that should not have been revealed at all...in my opinion and I'm sure that the writers pushed for some "dirt" to make the stories more interesting but no where can I find any excuse for some of the revelations.

Diane

ehollier
11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I can see what you're trying to tell me Liz, but the writers can't invent it all and there was a lot in both books that shouldn't have been told. I will concede that some of it might have sounded much worse in the "telling" that the writer used but there were still quite a few things that should not have been revealed at all...in my opinion and I'm sure that the writers pushed for some "dirt" to make the stories more interesting but no where can I find any excuse for some of the revelations.

Diane

I do agree with you that some things should have been left out and probably some things were exaggerated as 'dirt' and EWH was written as a kneejerk reaction to being fired, but I think equal fault lies with the actual writer of the book as he was charged with the responsibility of telling the story with an appropriate point of view of each of his storytellers and give the book an overall mood and atmostphere. I still believe that Red and Sonny are much more compassionate than Dunleavy made them out to be and its ashame that they have had that reputation all of these years.

presley31
11-12-2008, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't blame the writers but the people who give out the information in the first place. All l can say is thank godness my friends haven't wrote a book on me so my son can read his mother's not to good side.

Diane
11-12-2008, 05:49 PM
I see blame on both sides...the teller and the writer and I know that Elvis wasn't the only person who got the backlash of such as this but he sure got a good one. Too bad there are so many people with little respect for their fellow human beings in order to make a buck or for their 5 minutes of fame.

Diane

utmom2008
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I can believe that neither the MM or Priscilla liked what the authors put in the books but on the other hand, where did they get this inside knowledge in the first place? Both should have kept some things to themselves instead of revealing all to these tabloid writers then they wouldn't have been upset at the outcome.

Diane

Diane

That's been my stance the entire time. They didn't "fabricate" the stories..they came from someone's mouth. Good posts Diane!(y)(y)(y)

midnight
11-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Excellent posts Diane. So true the writers did not make theses stories up. True, there are exaggerations to make the story more "interesting" but these exaggerations came from stories told to the writer. If I really cared about someone it would not matter how much probing or twisting my arm the writer tried to do I would not tell anything to harm or hurt the person I loved .It would not matter if that person was alive or deceased. My lips would be sealed. I guess for some "money talks". Even if it was no huge sum of cash , it would not matter, for some to talk dirt about a "loved one" to get a buck!

Elvisverity
11-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Bearing in mind, "Opinions based on opinion and nothing else falter".

The tabloid writer consulted Elvis to substantiate the stories about him?
A rhetorical question of course. :D

At least Judas hung himself!

Diane
11-13-2008, 06:44 AM
At least Judas hung himself...............

Pretty darn good analogy!:lol::lol::lol:

Diane

Getlo
11-13-2008, 06:49 AM
That's not an analogy. It is simply a statement.

Dunleavy did attempt to get to Elvis to get his side of the story, but naturally failed.

Diane
11-13-2008, 07:31 AM
I expected this. Analogy: similarity between like features of two things on which a comparison may be based.

Sounds good to me.......:)

Diane

Sonny
11-13-2008, 11:43 AM
We all have made our points on this subject by now.

Nothing new will come of it.