PDA

View Full Version : Did you know that Elvis was born during a tornado?

Elvislives72
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I was watching a documentary about tornados and they showed one that destroyed parts of Tupelo, MS in 1935 and the newspaper that reported it was dated January 8, 1935 and that the reporter for the show said "ironically that Elvis Presley was born that exact same day and time as the tornado went through and just happened to miss the small house that Presley was born in." It's as if God pushed the tornado away from the Presley's so that Elvis could be born.

After all these years I never knew this.:hmm:

Getlo
10-20-2008, 10:06 PM
It's not true, and this is one of the more minor Elvis myths that has popped up over the years.

The tornado that almost destroyed Tupelo occurred on April 5, 1936 and 216 people were killed.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news/the_twister_that_made_tupelo_famous.shtml

http://blogs.usatoday.com/weather/2006/04/the_twister_tha.html

http://www.djournal.com/pages/archive.asp?ID=216342

Also, if Elvis had been born during a tornado, that would not have been "ironic" at all.

SatninLove
10-20-2008, 10:09 PM
yeh i think i have read somewhere that it was in 1936....but it would have been a cool fact if Elvis had been born during one..
-SatninLove

hounddog
10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
In the seriss Good Rockin Tonight (i think i've got that right) there is a scene where Gladys and toddler Elvis run for cover into some sort of underground shelter from the tornado

utmom2008
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
The tornado that ravaged Tupelo in April of 1936 killed 233 people. Also.....it is most unusual for any of us here in the South to have tornadoes in January, they are most prevelant in the spring and early summer months.:blush::blink:

ehollier
10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
The tornado that ravaged Tupelo in April of 1936 killed 233 people. Also.....it is most unusual for any of us here in the South to have tornadoes in January, they are most prevelant in the spring and early summer months.:blush::blink:

True. Almost unheard of during the winter months. :blink:

Elvislives72
10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
So there was a tornado that spared the Presley's? But on the documentary it specifically showed the date and it was 1935 not 36. And they brought to the attention that it happen the very day Elvis was born. Interesting to say the least.

utmom2008
10-21-2008, 01:55 PM
So there was a tornado that spared the Presley's? But on the documentary it specifically showed the date and it was 1935 not 36. And they brought to the attention that it happen the very day Elvis was born. Interesting to say the least.

Do you remember the name of the documentary and what station aired it? This just goes to show that you can NOT believe everything you read or hear.:blink::blink:

Tony Trout
10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
It's not true, and this is one of the more minor Elvis myths that has popped up over the years.

The tornado that almost destroyed Tupelo occurred on April 5, 1936 and 216 people were killed.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news/the_twister_that_made_tupelo_famous.shtml

http://blogs.usatoday.com/weather/2006/04/the_twister_tha.html

http://www.djournal.com/pages/archive.asp?ID=216342

Also, if Elvis had been born during a tornado, that would not have been "ironic" at all.

Exactly. The documentary was wrong with it's information - as these kinds of things usually are.

ehollier
10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
There was a reported tornado years later the day before his birthday (10th or 11th), I think?>?>?>?> Who can corroborate this story???

Elvislives72
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Do you remember the name of the documentary and what station aired it? This just goes to show that you can NOT believe everything you read or hear.:blink::blink:

No. I thought it was History or Discovery but when I tried to scan back using my dvr it didn't say anything about what I was watching. So it must have been one of those TBA type of showings on a rare channel. I love those type of shows about tornadoes and thought this was crazy. I can't even watch a show about storms without Elvis being mentioned.:lol:

Elvislives72
10-21-2008, 02:48 PM
FWIW, the tornado only killed one person according to the reporter.

Getlo
10-22-2008, 04:22 AM
The tornado that ravaged Tupelo in April of 1936 killed 233 people.

It was 216. Check any of the major tornado lists.

jon_burrows
10-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Didn't it say in "Last Train To Memphis" that Elvis was born during a thunderstorm?

utmom2008
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
It was 216. Check any of the major tornado lists.

I came up with 233 after reading the 3 articles that you gave links to..they all 3 list the same number. Are you referring to a different tornado?

KPM
10-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Could it be possible we are talking about 2 different tornados-one which was in 1936 and was very deadly and another which was not nearly as bad in 1935?
I am just thinking out loud.
We have had about 4 in the last 50 years which hit my town or the directly surrounding area-but have had many which skip by or around us and kill few or do little damage-but the only ones that are recalled are the 4 big ones.
I also agree we have few tornados after, say, late October -but have had them (or threats of them) in Dec., Jan., and Feb. in my area.
But regardless the Presleys were there in 1936 when the deadly one hit.

utmom2008
10-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Could it be possible we are talking about 2 different tornados-one which was in 1936 and was very deadly and another which was not nearly as bad in 1935?
I am just thinking out loud.
We have had about 4 in the last 50 years which hit my town or the directly surrounding area-but have had many which skip by or around us and kill few or do little damage-but the only ones that are recalled are the 4 big ones.
I also agree we have few tornados after, say, late October -but have had them (or threats of them) in Dec., Jan., and Feb. in my area.
But regardless the Presleys were there in 1936 when the deadly one hit.

I guess I'm lost!:doh: All 3 of Getlo's articles say that 233 people were killed, the last one gives the date of April 5, 1936 and the death toll being 233.:hmm::hmm:

TCBGIRL
10-22-2008, 03:05 PM
A tornado y Mississippi in January?Humm

rickb
10-23-2008, 02:16 AM
I've also heard the tornado/storm story

Getlo
10-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Didn't it say in "Last Train To Memphis" that Elvis was born during a thunderstorm?

No, it didn't.

In any case, if there was a tornado, Dr William Hunt wouldn't have been out and about on his way to the Presleys.

jon_burrows
10-23-2008, 04:47 AM
No, it didn't.

In any case, if there was a tornado, Dr William Hunt wouldn't have been out and about on his way to the Presleys.

I didn't say a tornado. A thunderstorm wouldn't have kept Dr. William Hunt away from The Presleys.

KPM
10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I guess I'm lost!:doh: All 3 of Getlo's articles say that 233 people were killed, the last one gives the date of April 5, 1936 and the death toll being 233.:hmm::hmm:
I am not sure-my point was that not all tornados (or close calls of tornados brought on by regular thunderstorms) are remembered as well as the large ones with widespread death and destruction. So I was just thinking outloud that maybe there could have possibly been a bad storm (or tornado) which was non-deadly on Jan 8, 1935 and the April 5 1936 storm is a different one.
The death toll I have found for April 5 1936 does seem to differ, some have it at 216 some have it 233. I am not sure which number is correct.

Elvislives72
10-23-2008, 01:59 PM
A tornado y Mississippi in January?Humm

I live in the south and we have tornadoes year round. They're actually common here.

KPM
10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
I live in the south and we have tornadoes year round. They're actually common here.
I agree you can get them year round-but after November-the tornado season is pretty well over until the spring thaw in March and April. But anytime the atmospheric conditions are right you can get one. In the winter months there is just not enough really warm air masses in the jet stream meeting very cold air masses aloft. It s the colliding of these differing system temperatures which makes the atmosphere stormy and volatile.

Elvislives72
10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I agree you can get them year round-but after November-the tornado season is pretty well over until the spring thaw in March and April. But anytime the atmospheric conditions are right you can get one. In the winter months there is just not enough really warm air masses in the jet stream meeting very cold air masses aloft. It s the colliding of these differing system temperatures which makes the atmosphere stormy and volatile.

True. The weather is very unpredictable here in the south. Who would have thought there would be snow falling in Memphis in mid March?:supriced:

john carpenter
10-23-2008, 03:48 PM
The only tornado i remember seeing or hearing about was in the mini-series Elvis that Priscilla had made for television. Gladys and little Elvis ran to the storm shelter after a tornado touched down. But you know how truthfull she is.:lmfao:oops sorry Priscilla lovers:lmfao:

Elvislives72
10-23-2008, 03:53 PM
The only tornado i remember seeing or hearing about was in the mini-series Elvis that Priscilla had made for television. Gladys and little Elvis ran to the storm shelter after a tornado touched down. But you know how truthfull she is.:lmfao:oops sorry Priscilla lovers:lmfao:

Actualy I think she's been more truthful than the Memphis Mafia/ Sorry Mafia lovers.;)

utmom2008
10-23-2008, 03:58 PM
But you know how truthfull she is.:lmfao:oops sorry Priscilla lovers:lmfao:

Actualy I think she's been more truthful than the Memphis Mafia/ Sorry Mafia lovers.;)

Personally, I choose to believe Elvis.;):lol::lol:

Teddy
10-23-2008, 04:02 PM
If Priscilla says there was a tornado there was a tornado, dammit! :lol:

presley31
10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history.do?action=Article&id=394

April 5, 1936

Tornadoes devastate Tupelo and Gainesville
On this day in 1936, two small towns in Mississippi and Georgia are devastated by tornadoes, killing 200 people in one of the deadliest spates of tornadoes in United States history. A total of 466 people were killed over four days of nearly continuous twisters. Another 3,500 people were injured.
The storms and accompanying tornadoes hit Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee on April 5. At about 8:30 a.m., the first twister touched down in Coffeeville, Mississippi, before moving northeast and devastating Tupelo, Mississippi. The Gum Pond area of Tupelo was worst hit. Homes along the pond were completely swept away. A majority of the bodies of the 216 people killed in Tupelo were found in the pond. One notable survivor of this deadly tornado was one-year-old Elvis Presley, who was born in Tupelo.

The Tupelo twister was estimated to be an F5, the most destructive class of tornado, with winds in excess of 261 miles per hour. Some reports noted that the wind was so strong that it embedded pine needles into the trunks of trees that managed to stay standing.

In Gainesville, Georgia, the following morning, three separate tornadoes continued the destruction. In the single worst tornado incident in the United States in the 20th century, 70 workers at the Cooper Pants factory were killed when the building collapsed on them. Twenty more people were killed in a department store collapse. Debris was piled high throughout Gainesville.

Hospitals all over the Southeast were pressed into service to help survivors. Better weather forecasting and warning systems helped prevent tragedies of this scale in the years that followed.

Diane
10-23-2008, 05:20 PM
There you go. Thanks Jen.(y)

Diane

Elvislives72
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
This is definitely not the tornado that they were referring to on that documentary. The one they showed was much less destructive than the F5 a year later as mentioned above. It's still amazing that the Presley's survived the F5.

shelley.m.
10-23-2008, 08:08 PM
True. Almost unheard of during the winter months. :blink:

I was thinking the samething too.Tornado's in the winter?

john carpenter
10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Actualy I think she's been more truthful than the Memphis Mafia/ Sorry Mafia lovers.;):lmfao::lmfao:Just kidding..Elvislives. Both tend to streth the truth!:blush:

Tony Trout
10-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I was thinking the samething too.Tornado's in the winter?

Actually, I believe that they can occur during the winter months.

Donut
10-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Personally, I choose to believe Elvis.;):lol::lol:

Me too, even knowing that he is lying :lol:

ehollier
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
According to Peter Guralnick, Elvis WAS NOT born during a tornado; however, a tornado did hit Tupelo the following year "The tornado of 1936 had been a tramatic event that literally flattended Tupelo, killing 201 people and injuring more than 1000."

Additionally, there was another tornado reported in 1946, the day before his 11th birthday.

KPM
10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Actually, I believe that they can occur during the winter months.
They can hit in winter. The atmosphere has to be spring like in order for them to come in winter. We have what is called "Indian Summer" in my area and that is usually when we get 3 or 4 days of spring like weather during the heart of the winter. Its times like this when you could get heavy storms or even tornados-but you have to have the conditions in the atmosphere to trigger them. You will not get tornados when the temperature is in the 30's and 40's and the air is cold which is why very few happen in winter.