PDA

View Full Version : Are the Presleys'a disfuntional family?

TCBGIRL
10-18-2008, 08:53 PM
When Elvis was drafted Gladys was already ill,but you think that taking Elvis away help her die sooner?I also notice that in almost every photo she looks depressed.Some say that she had a drinking problem.Could Elvis gotten his addition to drugs from his Mom.There was a behavior pattern there.I have read that Elvis suffered from depression also.Can we see a disfuntional family here with the Presleys?Then LM having problems with drugs also?

TCBGIRL

ehollier
10-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Poor Gladys. Yes she does look so sad, but Elvis looks HOTTTT here!!!!!

http://www.tcb-world.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27238&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1224384788

Diane
10-18-2008, 08:58 PM
I guess we could say that the Presley's were a disfunctional family but not seriously so. Most families have those kinds of problems.

Diane

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Most families are dysfunctional.

ehollier
10-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I think it would be hard to argue that his family didn't have some dysfunctional traits. No doubt, his fame and popularity made it much worse. However, I will stand my feeling that while Gladys and Vernon where raising Elvis, they did the best that they could with what they had. They were products of their time -- poor, country folks with little education -- but they did know love and respect, hard work and God, so it would be hard to fault them for any dysfunction that they brought into their marriage.

Diane
10-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree with you all the way Liz. They loved Elvis dearly and did they best they could with what they had.(y)

There is no perfect family.

Diane

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 09:04 PM

That's exactly what I was about to say. Dysfunction has become the norm.:P:lol:

ehollier
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Could you imagine Dr. Phil back in their day????? Whew!!!! :'(:'(:'(

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM

http://www.tcb-world.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27238&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1224384788

You know, I'd feel the same as Mrs Presley, like we all do with those we love. Elvis was going to leave for Germany. I think she held it all together, well.

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 09:08 PM
This is our last non-dysfunctional family!:lol::lol:

Od4DPR3lySE

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Normal is way overrated and way overused if you ask me...:lol:

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Actually, in my opinion, families, years ago, were more caring and more the family unit. They raised their children, generally speaking, to have manners. I wish we could go back to those times, in some ways.

I don't know what it is like in other countries.

ehollier
10-18-2008, 09:10 PM
You know, I'd feel the same as Mrs Presley, like we all do with those we love. Elvis was going to leave for Germany. I think she held it all together, well.

You are right. But you know, Elvis was moving to Texas for a few months, where she would be joining him and then following him to Germany. He wasn't going into a war zone nor was he leaving her behind. Maybe I'm a little callous having experienced this before, but I feel that she just seemed sadder than I can really understand.

utmom2008

I can just hear Dr. Phil telling Vernon...."your alligator mouth has overloaded your hummingbird a$s"!!!:lmfao::lmfao:

Unchained Melody

Her eyes...look so sad..:'(

ehollier
10-18-2008, 09:13 PM
This is our last non-dysfunctional family!:lol::lol:

Od4DPR3lySE

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

It must have been because Ward and June slept in separate beds!!!!!

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Normal is way overrated and way overused if you ask me...:lol:

LOL .................

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM

And June cleaned house in her high-heels and pearls!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
You are right. But you know, Elvis was moving to Texas for a few months, where she would be joining him and then following him to Germany. He wasn't going into a war zone nor was he leaving her behind. Maybe I'm a little callous having experienced this before, but I feel that she just seemed sadder than I can really understand.

I can understand it, Liz, I really can. It's the unknown part.

Diane
10-18-2008, 09:17 PM
And that's not functional!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Diane

midnight
10-18-2008, 09:18 PM
That's exactly what I was about to say. Dysfunction has become the norm.:P:lol:

Tell me about it . I see it everyday in school. I think this year for our fathers day card in June I will get the children to write "Are you my Daddy"?:lmfao::lmfao:

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:19 PM

You know what?

I burst out laughing, lol.

With how this show, and others set up, how our parents should act, the name of the show, lol

They'd be shocked with the meaning of the name, these days.

LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

ehollier
10-18-2008, 09:21 PM
You know what?

I burst out laughing, lol.

With how this show, and others set up, how our parents should act, the name of the show, lol

They'd be shocked with the meaning of the name, these days.

LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 09:24 PM
And, lest we not forget...there was certainly NOTHING dysfunctional about this family. My favorite part?? Mike Brady was an architect yet all those kids shared ONE bathroom!:lol::lol::lol: How ironic that Robert Reed would later die of AIDS.:blink:

mkeGOH5vy7I

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 09:26 PM

I agree Liz, She was going to go with him to Germany and be with him, I guess all of the changes from his rise to fame and then to him being drafted into the army was just to much for her to handle..

Unchained Melody
And, lest we not forget...there was certainly NOTHING dysfunctional about this family. My favorite part?? Mike Brady was an architect yet all those kids shared ONE bathroom!:lol::lol::lol: How ironic that Robert Reed would later die of AIDS.:blink:

mkeGOH5vy7I

I LOVE that T.V. Show!!:D:P

ehollier
Now, it is functional, lol.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

I always thought the 'perfect' family was more in line with "I Love Lucy"!!!!!!!

Diane
The things we didn't know about going on behind the scenes.......;):doh:

Diane

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Diane

Didn't Glady's have a drinking problem near the end of her death.

Somewhere I also heard she was taking diet pills too and thats where Elvis first tried them he stole a few from her? Anyone know any truth to this ?:supriced::hmm:

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I always thought the 'perfect' family was more in line with "I Love Lucy"!!!!!!!

Or who wouldn't want John Cleese's character or Rowan Atkinson, in their family? lol

My Uncle used to do this sort of thing, I adored him, lol (I'm sure, as a side note, that he would have loved my Aunty with just the pearls and high heels, hehe).

IqhlQfXUk7w

midnight
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Diane

Wasn`t one of the Brady boys sleeping with Marsha??:lmfao:

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:32 PM

There were so many things going on behind those scenes, very sad. Marsha was actually on television here, last week, she was on hard drugs. Very sad.

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 09:33 PM

turning into a Brady Bunch Thread ? :offtopic:

Merry
10-18-2008, 09:34 PM
turning into a Brady Bunch Thread ? :offtopic:

I think the way the topic has gone is better. :D:D:D:D:D

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 09:54 PM

Maybe for the Off Topic section perhaps a new thread about the Brady Bunch should be in order.

Anyhow, Addiction ran in Glady's side of the family. But I think like Lamar Fike said, Elvis just had an uncontrollable addiction problem, whether it was just his pills, food, he had that type of personality, to if you like a cigar then you would suck the tobacco out of it...Maybe he got it from Gladys I don't know...

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 10:05 PM

"Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" almost lost her virginity to "Greg Brady"....meanwhile "Greg" was lusting after "Carol Brady.":lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

There were so many things going on behind those scenes, very sad. Marsha was actually on television here, last week, she was on hard drugs. Very sad.

Here as well. Her new book came out last week.:blush::blush:

Maybe for the Off Topic section perhaps a new thread about the Brady Bunch should be in order.

Well Bradley...:supriced:....you have your "Big Boss Man" hat on tonight?;):lol::lol::lol:

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 10:06 PM

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

shelley.m.
10-18-2008, 10:07 PM

You got that right!

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Well Bradley...:supriced:....you have your "Big Boss Man" hat on tonight?;):lol::lol::lol:

Didn't mean to come across like that, just wanted to try and see if the thread could stay on topic and perhaps get some answers to some of the questions I asked about....

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 10:11 PM
"Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" almost lost her virginity to "Greg Brady"....meanwhile "Greg" was lusting after "Carol Brady.":lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Now if that is not dysfunctional then I don't know what is.

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Didn't mean to come across like that, just wanted to try and see if the thread could stay on topic and perhaps get some answers to some of the questions I asked about....

You ran into a bunch of middle-aged ladies remembering the good 'ole days of TV. You know? Back when television shows were sooooo realistic!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

utmom2008
10-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Anyhow, Addiction ran in Glady's side of the family. But I think like Lamar Fike said, Elvis just had an uncontrollable addiction problem, whether it was just his pills, food, he had that type of personality, to if you like a cigar then you would suck the tobacco out of it...Maybe he got it from Gladys I don't know...

An addictive personality is something that can be inherited, that's for certain. People with a strong addictive nature will even do things such as listen to the same song on a CD over and over and over. I would think that's one trait that Elvis got from his mom. Vernon was a drinker, yes, but I don't think it was something that he had a "problem" with.:blush::blush:

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 10:17 PM
You ran into a bunch of middle-aged ladies remembering the good 'ole days of TV. You know? Back when television shows were sooooo realistic!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Well, just to let you know, many of those old tv shows are my favorites !!!;):D

buttonhead
10-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Disfunctional Family ?

I think that the picture of Gladys often looks sad, just because she worry wart about Elvis well being etc. after he gained his fame.. plus she worry too when Elvis went to Germany. After All Elvis was the only child in their life, it must have been different if Jesse Garon had survived, Just my opinion.

Speaking of disfunctional family,...

I know my families are.... not as bad as The Barones ;)

plwq4jE8O1o

What the hell kind of moon man talk is that LOL

:lmfao: :lmfao:

Diane
10-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Gladys was on diet pills towards the end as it was said she wanted to get her weight down so Elvis wouldn't be ashamed of her....he never would have been anyway but that was one of her worries. I think Elvis probably did try her diet pills but I don't think it was a regular thing...probably just curious.

Gladys did drink quite a bit, again in the last few years, and I think she did have a problem with it and there's not much doubt that Elvis did inherit her addictive personality. Vernon drank too but as Rosanne said, I don't think it was a problem with him. There was a lot of drinking on both sides of Elvis' family as there is in most families, which was one of the reasons he didn't care for it.

Diane

john carpenter
10-19-2008, 08:02 AM
I can just hear Dr. Phil telling Vernon...."your alligator mouth has overloaded your hummingbird a$s"!!!:lmfao::lmfao:Exactly Rosanne,:lmfao::lmfao:or Dr.Phil,s famous quote "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps".

CRITTERGITTER
10-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Let's not forget the extended family is not wrapped too tight either. Aunt Delta drank. Others had issues to.

TCBGIRL
10-19-2008, 10:47 AM
There is no doubt on my mind that Elvis was a child who grew up with alot of love.When I say "Disfunional"I mean that they had problems at the time that not even they were awared of.Is true that there is no such thing as a "normal"family.I was talking about a family that had an adition problem.This is inhereted.is in your blood.Elvis took pills because he needed them...but how bad did he need them?Did he abused them?Did he take more than he was supoused too?Whenever he was aproached he said"I NEED THEM MAN":(
So,there was an adition..not to mention other drugs he used.Saddly back then we din't see it as an "Illness"as an adiction.Then LM follows with the same problem..drugs!but she admited to herself that she did had a problem.She was seing her father in her.If Elvis had admited that he had a BIG problem,he would have been alive today.Same went for his Mom and her drinking problem.People with a history addition in the family find excusses to drink or do drugs.If anyone here has atended an AA meeting is all you hear.first admit you got a problem..then,find help.I will not be surprised if one of LM's kids is an adict.

THIS WAS JUST AN OBSERVATION.

TCBGRL

KPM
10-19-2008, 11:21 AM
I think this is another subjective question-some people will look at the Presleys, Vernon going to jail, the super closeness of Elvis and his mom, the alcohol problems on both sides of the family, the poorness of their situtations and say yes they were dysfunctional.
Others will look at how they hung together in good and bad times, how Elvis could not wait to reward his parents when he hit it big, how Elvis showed love for his father and mother, the importance of Graceland to Elvis in an almost spiritual way and those people will say they were a loving family.
Personally I don't see it all one way or another.
Truthfully in any family a little of both is usually there in some way. IMO

beckelvis
10-19-2008, 12:00 PM
The truth not this photo of when it was taken,but I belive that Gladys always tape-worm this expression to be depressed.

Unchained Melody
10-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I think this is another subjective question-some people will look at the Presleys, Vernon going to jail, the super closeness of Elvis and his mom, the alcohol problems on both sides of the family, the poorness of their situtations and say yes they were dysfunctional.
Others will look at how they hung together in good and bad times, how Elvis could not wait to reward his parents when he hit it big, how Elvis showed love for his father and mother, the importance of Graceland to Elvis in an almost spiritual way and those people will say they were a loving family.
Personally I don't see it all one way or another.
Truthfully in any family a little of both is usually there in some way. IMO

Agreed Ken.

utmom2008
10-19-2008, 04:50 PM
The truth not this photo of when it was taken,but I belive that Gladys always tape-worm this expression to be depressed.

Hi beck~Can you explain what you mean by saying "Gladys always tape-worm this expression"?:hmm::D

Diane
10-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I think she meant always "wore" this expression:D but that's not quite true. I've seen happy photos of her when they were living on Audubon Drive. I think she was very happy there.

Diane

1100ccRider
10-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi beck~Can you explain what you mean by saying "Gladys always tape-worm this expression"?:hmm::D

I have a feeling that perhaps English-translation software or Web services are involved, because I've seen these posts mention 'tapeworm' before. Some things don't seem to translate well.

utmom2008
10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
I have a feeling that perhaps English-translation software or Web services are involved, because I've seen these posts mention 'tapeworm' before. Some things don't seem to translate well.

This was a new one for me....:D:lol:

wild4elvis1962
10-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I Hate To Even Mention This Subject....incest...dee Presley Claims Elvis And Gladys Were Lovers. That Blew Me Away. I Would Not Believe That For Anything. I Was Really Pissed When I Heard That From Her. Elvis Loved His Mom With All His Heart And Soul...same For Her Towards Elvis. Dee Is Taking A Love Of Mother And Son And Turning It Into Something Sick And Evel. Just Leave Him Alone And And Let Him Rest In Heaven With God And His Beloved Mother.

Unchained Melody
10-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I think she meant always "wore" this expression:D but that's not quite true. I've seen happy photos of her when they were living on Audubon Drive. I think she was very happy there.

Diane

I think its just with many of the photos we see of her when Elvis hit it big she has a sad look in her eyes....

SatninLove
10-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I think its just with many of the photos we see of her when Elvis hit it big she has a sad look in her eyes....
I agree....She was always worried about Elvis...and I don't blame her..To her the whole sutuation was wild.And back in the early day's everything was wild.lol.but what mother wouldn't worry about her child in that position?
-SatninLove

SatninLove
10-19-2008, 09:57 PM
to her Elvis was still her "little baby boy"...
-SatninLove

Unchained Melody
10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I agree....She was always worried about Elvis...and I don't blame her..To her the whole sutuation was wild.And back in the early day's everything was wild.lol.but what mother wouldn't worry about her child in that position?
-SatninLove

I think it was deeper than that..and I think it was her feeling she was loosing her son to the rest of the world...kind of like she only wanted him to belong to her...

hounddog
10-19-2008, 11:35 PM
"When Elvis was drafted Gladys was already ill,but you think that taking Elvis away help her die sooner?I also notice that in almost every photo she looks depressed.Some say that she had a drinking problem.Could Elvis gotten his addition to drugs from his Mom.There was a behavior pattern there.I have read that Elvis suffered from depression also.Can we see a disfuntional family here with the Presleys?Then LM having problems with drugs also?"

Ok lets see. In the book Elvis and Gladys there is a lot of comments about the Smith family having problems with their emotional health. Personally i think that issue is a bit overdone, I think Gladys had a natural reaction to losing a baby. things are done differently now, she'd have counseling to help her grieve. And most certainly the baby would not be buried without her attending the funeral unless she chose to, i can't imagine how much that would hurt.

It makes sense to me that Gladys would be depressed, Elvis was becoming a soldier i think anything that involved the armed forces/police force worries most Mums. I guess it was just applified with Gladys.

I think Elvis had an addictive personality be it drugs, slot cars, karate, racquetball etc. I've read that it wasn't uncommon for Elvis to do karate for 3-5 hours straight. I don't think he got it from his Mum, i think it was just a part of Elvis.

I'm sure someone else here will know better than me but i recall LM saying that the drug thing with her has been blown out of proportion by the media, that she just tried some stuff, that she was addicted to anything. Does that sound familiar to any one here?

I don't think the Presley's are a dsyfuntional family, Elvis was a very grounded man, that has to have come from his upbringing and Lisa and her family seems very grounded as well. Nope i don't think they're dsyfunctional.

Merry
10-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't think the Presley's are a dsyfuntional family, Elvis was a very grounded man, that has to have come from his upbringing and Lisa and her family seems very grounded as well. Nope i don't think they're dsyfunctional.

Well said.

Dekerivers57
10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
I think that under a microscope, most families will look to be dysfunctional in some way. In this case, the situation is compounded by cultural, socio-economic, and socital difference. We all have our ethnocentric views of what is "healthy" familal behavior, our own biasis. That being said, clearly this family had many challenges early on: Poverty, poor education and lack of opportunity. This led to disrpution in the family system when Vernon went to prison. Systems are self correcting, so it would be adaptive for both Elvis and Gladys to fill in the gaps while he was away. Upon his return, it was probably difficult because he could have felt displaced. I know this is a bit of a tagent, but I thought I would chime-in. Function/dysfunction is not only defined by the pressence or absesne of substance abuse, and attempting to determine the functionality of a family system from another time and place woudl be a monumental challenge, even for a family systems expert.

Getlo
10-23-2008, 07:04 AM
ALL families are dysfunctional.

ALL families have skeletons in their closets.

presley31
10-23-2008, 07:22 AM
"When Elvis was drafted Gladys was already ill,but you think that taking Elvis away help her die sooner?I also notice that in almost every photo she looks depressed.Some say that she had a drinking problem.Could Elvis gotten his addition to drugs from his Mom.There was a behavior pattern there.I have read that Elvis suffered from depression also.Can we see a disfuntional family here with the Presleys?Then LM having problems with drugs also?"

Ok lets see. In the book Elvis and Gladys there is a lot of comments about the Smith family having problems with their emotional health. Personally i think that issue is a bit overdone, I think Gladys had a natural reaction to losing a baby. things are done differently now, she'd have counseling to help her grieve. And most certainly the baby would not be buried without her attending the funeral unless she chose to, i can't imagine how much that would hurt.

It makes sense to me that Gladys would be depressed, Elvis was becoming a soldier i think anything that involved the armed forces/police force worries most Mums. I guess it was just applified with Gladys.

I think Elvis had an addictive personality be it drugs, slot cars, karate, racquetball etc. I've read that it wasn't uncommon for Elvis to do karate for 3-5 hours straight. I don't think he got it from his Mum, i think it was just a part of Elvis.

I'm sure someone else here will know better than me but i recall LM saying that the drug thing with her has been blown out of proportion by the media, that she just tried some stuff, that she was addicted to anything. Does that sound familiar to any one here?

yep l agree.

Unique Dog
10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
No more dysfunctional than the rest of us.

Tony Trout
10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Didn't Glady's have a drinking problem near the end of her death.

Somewhere I also heard she was taking diet pills too and thats where Elvis first tried them he stole a few from her? Anyone know any truth to this ?:supriced::hmm:

Gladys drinking/pills problem actually started long before her death and I believe that it was 'speed' instead of diet pills that Elvis started taking when he began performing to stay away while on the road when he first started performing (although Gladys did, from what I've read/learned k take diet pills so she would look good for Elvis. But, as we all know, his real drug use began while in the Army when the Sargeants would give Benzedrine (sp?) to help the soldiers stay awake on maneuvers.

MissyM
10-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Yes, they were.

Teddy
10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Gladys drinking/pills problem actually started long before her death and I believe that it was 'speed' instead of diet pills that Elvis started taking when he began performing to stay away while on the road when he first started performing (although Gladys did, from what I've read/learned k take diet pills so she would look good for Elvis. But, as we all know, his real drug use began while in the Army when the Sargeants would give Benzedrine (sp?) to help the soldiers stay awake on maneuvers.

Gladys' diet pills contained amphetemine and Benzedrine is amphetemine too, so they are both basically 'speed'.
Amphetemine was used quite casually for therapeutic/medicinal purposes until relatively recently.
It seems that Elvis was always going to be introduced to 'speed' one way or another. This is all worth considering before we judge his decision to use drugs too harshly.

Teddy
10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
P.S: This accounts for Gladys' depression, paranoia and fatigued appearance too, since regular amphetemine use is a one way ticket in that general direction.

midnight
10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
ALL families are dysfunctional.

ALL families have skeletons in their closets.

If my family is dysfunctional then I do not know about it. Not to brag but my skeletons must be way back in my closet because I have not found them yet!!! Unless hubby got one one in there that I do not know about!!!:D

utmom2008
10-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Gladys drinking/pills problem actually started long before her death and I believe that it was 'speed' instead of diet pills that Elvis started taking

Gladys' diet pills contained amphetemine and Benzedrine is amphetemine too, so they are both basically 'speed'.

Back in the day...."diet" pills and speed were the same thing, you are right Teddy.