PDA

View Full Version : Grease

kurt
10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
please dont get mad at me for this!!!!:'( But i read somewhere on the internet that Elvis was supposed to play John Travolta´s roll in Grease.
Maybe this is the most stupid QUESTION I EVER ASKED:'(:blush:
IF SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME:blush:

SatninLove
10-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Your definantly NOT stupid for posting this question...
This is a good question..!!!
Although I'm not sure it's true though...I don't think so..I read Henry Winkler was supposed to play the part of Danny....but I could be wrong..
-SatninLove

Elvislives72
10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I've heard this before too so you're not alone on that. But I have my doubts of it being true. I believe the last role he was approached with was A Star Is Born.

KPM
10-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Grease came out in 1978-a year after Elvis died.
Elvis was 42 in 77 and the role Travolta played was a senior in high school so I seriously doubt that Elvis was ever considered for that role. Now the role of Teen Angel which Frankie Avalon played that might have been something they would have considered for. But I have never heard that anywhere.

Dekethecreep
10-15-2008, 05:50 PM
are you serious hahaha:lmfao:

Genie
10-15-2008, 06:37 PM
please dont get mad at me for this!!!!:'( But i read somewhere on the internet that Elvis was supposed to play John Travolta´s roll in Grease.
Maybe this is the most stupid QUESTION I EVER ASKED:'(:blush:
IF SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME:blush:

:blink:

Yes that is true......but then again... a lot of roles Elvis might have had, were nixed by the guy with the big cigar....which intrfered with everything Elvis wanted to do for himself..he wanted real roles, to show he was in fact a great actor, capable of handling serious roles, not just dance, girls, music...and all that jazz so to speak

Genie
10-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Elvis was 42 in 77 and the role Travolta played was a senior in high school so I seriously doubt that Elvis was ever considered for that role. Now the role of Teen Angel which Frankie Avalon played that might have been something they would have considered for. But I have never heard that anywhere.

:hmm:Haven't you heard that it takes time to do a movie...........it's in the making (especially back then) for sometimes 2 or 3 yrs +.......the fact it came out in 78 has no bearing on who was considered for the part when it was first put togeather by the script writers and coreographers.

utmom2008
10-15-2008, 08:34 PM

I agree with you Ken...Teen Angel is the only part he could have played. Regardless of whether or not they were thinking on it for 2 or 3 years, that still puts him WAY over the correct age. This is something that has never been mentioned in any book that anyone can recall.:doh::doh:

Getlo
10-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Elvis was never considered for this. Ever.

It would have been a joke had he done it, or anything like it.

Merry
10-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Sorry, I can't cut and paste the full article, I can only supply the link.

According to this excerpt, from the book Risky Business by R. Serge Denisoff, and William D. Romanowski:

"The musical Grease opened in New York in 1972 to indifferent reviews <snip> Carr had sold Stigwood a half interest in the movie rights to Grease; he had originally intended to cast Ann-Margret and Elvis Presley in the leading roles. Failing he offered the lead to Henry Winkler ......"

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=kT0fKUCTUC4C&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=elvis+presley+was+offered+role+for+grease&source=web&ots=4Pc0W-s8-2&sig=6OI_9EFbos6ZfXzFfrO7epov9Kg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

presley31
10-16-2008, 06:47 AM

According to this excerpt, from the book Risky Business by R. Serge Denisoff, and William D. Romanowski:

"The musical Grease opened in New York in 1972 to indifferent reviews <snip> Carr had sold Stigwood a half interest in the movie rights to Grease; he had originally intended to cast Ann-Margret and Elvis Presley in the leading roles. Failing he offered the lead to Henry Winkler ......"

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=kT0fKUCTUC4C&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=elvis+presley+was+offered+role+for+grease&source=web&ots=4Pc0W-s8-2&sig=6OI_9EFbos6ZfXzFfrO7epov9Kg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

interesting Kimmi thanks (y)

KPM
10-16-2008, 12:15 PM
:hmm:Haven't you heard that it takes time to do a movie...........it's in the making (especially back then) for sometimes 2 or 3 yrs +.......the fact it came out in 78 has no bearing on who was considered for the part when it was first put togeather by the script writers and coreographers.
Yes I totally understand the production time before a movie is filmed.
Lets say they even had begun this project it in 1970 Elvis was 35 years old-not the 17-20 year old kid that the role required.
John Travolta was 23 when he filmed this-but still looked 18. Even in 1964 Elvis would have been still too old to play a teenager in high school-he was 29 at the time.

KPM
10-16-2008, 12:21 PM

Stigwood must have been in a time warp-"Ann was 31 in 72" and "Elvis was 37" both youthful but in no stretch of the imagination could they have been mistaken for teens.

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes I totally understand the production time before a movie is filmed.
Lets say they even had begun this project it in 1970 Elvis was 35 years old-not the 17-20 year old kid that the role required.
John Travolta was 23 when he filmed this-but still looked 18. Even in 1964 Elvis would have been still too old to play a teenager in high school-he was 29 at the time.

You are 100% right on this one Ken! The idea of Elvis playing a HS Sr. is absurd! And....don't forget, the opening scene is the summer before his Sr. year.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

presley31
10-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Dunno how l would feel about elvis in grease..

italianfan
10-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I think this is the last thing Elvis would have wanted, sure he wanted to star in a hit film and be recgonised for his acting but playing a character set two decades before around the time he became a star would just have re-enfored his image as a rock and roll star. Elvis wanted to be seen as more than this, which is one of the reasons he sped up all shook up etc in the 70s. jst my opinion :)

rhythmknights
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
that was not the sort of role he would have looked for, IMO. if he didn't like singing in his own movies, why would he want to sing on stage night after night after night after.. .
personally, i don't think he could have handled it - he suffered from stagefright.

Merry
10-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Stigwood must have been in a time warp-"Ann was 31 in 72" and "Elvis was 37" both youthful but in no stretch of the imagination could they have been mistaken for teens.

Hiya Ken,

Livvie (Olivia Newton John) was 30 in September, of 1978.

Kim

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Hiya Ken,

Livvie (Olivia Newton John) was 30 in September, of 1978.

Kim

True, but "Livvie" had a much more innocent youthful look about her than Ann Margret ever did. No one ever accused ONJ of looking like a "sex kitten.":D:D

rickb
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I also recall reading that Elvis was originally earmarked for that role.
Logically it would have been a support role and it could have been fun

Merry
10-16-2008, 05:24 PM
True, but "Livvie" had a much more innocent youthful look about her than Ann Margret ever did. No one ever accused ONJ of looking like a "sex kitten.":D:D

Livvie did have a youthful and innocent look, I agree. Her look, I thought, was perfect for the part. Different types of beauty.

Genie
10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
:lmfao:
:)

Thanks! Another person is telling it like it is/was..and are in the know....it is always a sahme to answer a remark, or question with reply's of "Nah":lmfao:
So...nice someone knoeledgable spoke up...no one likes to believe a word I say because I was there...lol/ humm:hmm: interested logic.

TotallyInsane
10-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks! Another person is telling it like it is/was..and are in the know....it is always a sahme to answer a remark, or question with reply's of "Nah":lmfao:
So...nice someone knoeledgable spoke up...no one likes to believe a word I say because I was there...lol/ humm:hmm: interested logic.

What's to believe? I haven't heard anything?????

Getlo
10-16-2008, 07:02 PM
All I remember from that stupid movie is that, according to the final scene, the only way to get the guy of your dreams is to start looking and acting like a complete s-l-u-t!

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 07:03 PM
All I remember from that stupid movie is that, according to the final scene, the only way to get the guy of your dreams is to start looking and acting like a complete s-l-u-t!

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 07:05 PM

HUH???????????:doh::doh::doh:

Who answered with a "Nah"????

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 07:06 PM
What's to believe? I haven't heard anything?????

Or seen anything!:lol::lol::lol:

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 07:12 PM
"Danny" in 1972.........:hmm::hmm: He looks just a day or two past 18.:D

Teddy
10-17-2008, 03:15 AM
The funny thing is, as a kid I had the most overwhelming crush on ONJ in that movie but I only liked her in the preppy school gear. As soon as she got into the perm and spandex pants it left me cold. :cold:

I can remember hiding on the stairs and listening to my parents deliberating over whether we should go to the movies to see Grease because they had heard about how some of the content was unsuitable for minors. I was baffled, because my grandpa (who was a colliery worker) hadn't expressed an interest in seeing the film anyway.

Donut
10-17-2008, 03:35 AM
"Danny" in 1972.........:hmm::hmm: He looks just a day or two past 18.:D

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

utmom2008
10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
The funny thing is, as a kid I had the most overwhelming crush on ONJ in that movie but I only liked her in the preppy school gear. As soon as she got into the perm and spandex pants it left me cold. :cold:

My husband was the EXACT same way!:lol::lol:

MojoElvis
10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Your definantly NOT stupid for posting this question...
This is a good question..!!!
Although I'm not sure it's true though...I don't think so..I read Henry Winkler was supposed to play the part of Danny....but I could be wrong..
-SatninLove

they wanted FONZIE, you're right. But he didn't want to be type cast. but in my opinion, FONZIE CAN'T SING FOR NOTHING!!!!

This is supposed to be the 50s and he's wearing a 1970 jumpsuit.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xA_bdEo7CEQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xA_bdEo7CEQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MojoElvis
10-17-2008, 12:31 PM
My husband was the EXACT same way!:lol::lol:

Not me, She looked Hot in that last number. She might have been a little too old for the part through out the whole movie, then again John looked to old for it too. Back then they picked these actors that looked like they were in their mid 20s or over to play High School students. Like Dewey Cox when he was 14 he looked 40...lol

KPM
10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Not me, She looked Hot in that last number. She might have been a little too old for the part through out the whole movie, then again John looked to old for it too. Back then they picked these actors that looked like they were in their mid 20s or over to play High School students. Like Dewey Cox when he was 14 he looked 40...lol
Well if they were a little old looking at 23 and 29 (in 77 when it was filmed) then you can see the problem with Elvis even at 35 let alone 41-42.

beckelvis
10-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Seriously,to have be very entertained for him

utmom2008
10-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Well if they were a little old looking at 23 and 29 (in 77 when it was filmed) then you can see the problem with Elvis even at 35 let alone 41-42.

Yeh, look at the pic I posted above and you can really see the problem.:lol::lol:

Merry
10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
they wanted FONZIE, you're right. But he didn't want to be type cast. but in my opinion, FONZIE CAN'T SING FOR NOTHING!!!!

This is supposed to be the 50s and he's wearing a 1970 jumpsuit.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xA_bdEo7CEQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xA_bdEo7CEQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've always liked Henry Winkler, he appears to be a really great guy.

I actually laughed through it, I loved it. Henry Winkler impersonating "Fonzie" impersonating Elvis, you have to see why it works so well, don't you? lol

Right, sorry, back to the point of Henry Winkler not being able to sing. He can't, I agree, but boy, he does a great job, and from what I've heard, they would have dubbed him if in a Musical. No matter, thanks for sharing this, I haven't seen it. "Tis funny.

Merry
10-17-2008, 05:14 PM
My personal opinion is, if Elvis wanted to do that type of movie, the "Powers that Be" would have made it work (Elvis at Uni, Elvis as a teacher, lol, Elvis as a Doctor (wait they did that...))

:D:D:D

presley31
10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
what does everyone think about grease two?? that's my favorite one.

0ACLyddXmVE

Merry
10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry Jen, I didn't see this one. Why did you prefer it?

MojoElvis
10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I've always liked Henry Winkler, he appears to be a really great guy.

I actually laughed through it, I loved it. Henry Winkler impersonating "Fonzie" impersonating Elvis, you have to see why it works so well, don't you? lol

Right, sorry, back to the point of Henry Winkler not being able to sing. He can't, I agree, but boy, he does a great job, and from what I've heard, they would have dubbed him if in a Musical. No matter, thanks for sharing this, I haven't seen it. "Tis funny.

don't get me wrong, I love his acting too. For someone who's such a nerd like he is in real life and pull of playing the coolest guy in late 70s, FONZIE.

Elvis was never thought of playing this part. The play was out already and I believe that, John Travolta played the part of kanikie in that play.. can't spell his name but the part of Jeff Conaway.
I didn't know that John was only 22 he looked older to me. Not saying he looked bad. He was perfect for the part and love the way he bounced back to ROCK N ROLL right after the DISCO hype of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.
I have a lot respect for him. He went from Vinnie Barbarino to DISCO dancer, to 50s rocker then Urban Cowboy, Country Music. that was cool.

Unchained Melody
10-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Well I can say I've never seen the movie.

And as long as I've been an Elvis fan, never heard of him ever having anything to do with this movie...