PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve 76 Better Show For Cbs Special

MojoElvis
10-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Seeing clips of the NEW YEARS EVE SHOW 76 I can't help but notice how different Elvis looked and much more Action his show had when compared to the June 19th and 21st taping of the CBS Special, ELVIS IN CONCERT.
I really wished he would have gotten rid of the Colonel when I see clips like this.
The Colonel just had no respect for Elvis' music and performances.

If they only had a professional camera crew on this night. What an AWESOME show!!!!!
It would have cost Elvis nothing to just keep a filming crew on hand for special events.

Judge for yourselves people.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhEVX5I3JAE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhEVX5I3JAE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

epmoodyblue
10-10-2008, 07:58 AM
(y)4 SURE ..ELVIS WAS IN BETTER SHAPE IN DEC 76.SLIMMER AND IN GOOD SPIRITS. AND GAVE SIGNS OF RECOVERY HE GAVE GREAT CONCERTS ..SADLY IT DIDINT LAST LONG FEB 77 TOUR POPPED UP.. ELVIS REGAINED LOTS OF WEIGHT ..CAMERAS SHOULDINT OF BEEN ROLLING IN JUNE 77 ..IT WOULD OF BEEN A BETTER IDEA TO TAPE A TV SPECIAL ANYTIME DURING ELVIS OCT-NOV OR DEC76 TOURS....SADLY THE DOPE HEADS DECIDED OTHERWISE AND CHOOSE JUNE 77 FOR A SPECIAL(n)..AT LEAST THEY SHOULD OF ONLY AIRED OR TAPED THE JUNE 26 SHOW WHICH ELVIS DIDINT LOOK BLOATED AND GAVE A SUPER SHOW

jak
10-10-2008, 08:50 AM
There was no way of knowing ahead of time that the Pittsburgh show was going to be above average for that time period.Elvis was just to unpredictable by 1976.His concerts were a crapshoot.That Pittsburgh show was just another stop on the road.No reason to film it.Conversley, nobody could have known how bad Omaha was going to be either.It's just the way it worked out.Actually Elvis had no business doing any tv special in 76 or 77.He wasnt in any condition for it.That includes the Pittsburgh show which is over hyped.

Lonniebealestreet
10-10-2008, 09:12 AM
I agree with your comments, jak. Make no mistake, I definitely enjoy watching all the above named shows. But yes, people who talk about Pittsburgh being one of the best shows not in the context of Elvis' final year or whatever are not seeing reality IMO.

From the perspective of a fan (which is by nature selfish), I am glad to have the CBS special. Obviously a bad, bad move though. But it was Elvis, and he still could shine, and add to that the historical significance of its being filmed in his final tour and the fact that there is such a limited amount of professional footage period.

Pittsburgh was special though, and though he had done it once the year before it wasn't just any old show calendar-wise -- New Year's Eve was a special night to perform. And Elvis treated it accordingly, giving the best he could at the time which wasn't too shabby and in stark contrast to June '77.

Bottom line though...hindsight is 20/20.

Sonny
10-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Looking back, noticing how very good that short December tour 1976 was, they should have filmed it.

Every fan will agree with me.

Nowadays a show like that would be filmed.

Back then, yes, it was considered a last stop in the tour, nothing more, nothing less.

Another chance lost, like so many when we look back.

KPM
10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Looking back, noticing how very good that short December tour 1976 was, they should have filmed it.

Every fan will agree with me.

Nowadays a show like that would be filmed.
Back then, yes, it was considered a last stop in the tour, nothing more, nothing less.

Another chance lost, like so many when we look back.
A buddy of mine is a super Hank Jr. fan and he says
"every" Hank Williams Jr. show has been recorded by HWJr.'s crew for the last 10 years. To bad that was not the case with Elvis.

Jungleroom76
10-10-2008, 04:16 PM
To bad that was not the case with Elvis.

Precisely Ken....too bad indeed!!! :'(

But....for all the fans (including myself) that wish all of Elvis' concerts were captured by professional film crews, just imagine what it would be like if we didn't have the amateur home movies that we have been so fortunate to enjoy all these years? THAT would be EVEN WORSE!!! :'(

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
10-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Pittsburgh was special though, and though he had done it once the year before it wasn't just any old show calendar-wise -- New Year's Eve was a special night to perform. And Elvis treated it accordingly, giving the best he could at the time which wasn't too shabby and in stark contrast to June '77.

Bottom line though...hindsight is 20/20.

PRECISELY PAL!!! :notworthy

Each show has a place in Elvis history for a variety of reasons, that is for sure! And as MojoElvis said, if only Elvis had gotten rid of The Colonel, the Pittsburgh show might have wound up being the rule instead of the exception!!! :'(

TCB!
Mike

MojoElvis
10-10-2008, 05:00 PM
sure there was no way of knowing that New Years Eves was going to be a great show but just the fact that it was a New Years Eve concert should have been documented with professional taping. It takes nothing to hook up a reel to reel machine to a soundboard back then. Having maybe 2 or 3 cameras, Left, Right and Center set up to film. The price of 3 cars or The Colonel's gambling away a million dollars in one night could have paid to document Elvis, good show or not, it was NEW YEARS EVE.
another thing, it's common knowledge that, the last night of a tour the artist is usually loose and doesn't have the pressure of doing a show the next day so they give all they have.
I'm aware of the 8mm films of his last concert and I feel that June 26th should have been professionally video taped too.

elvisfan92
10-10-2008, 05:21 PM
awesome thanks for posting =)
lol that's the first song i ever herd him sing when i first saw him

Unchained Melody
10-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Thank god the Pittsburg show is one of the Best Audience recordings and best 8mm films captured on tape by fans!(y)

MojoElvis
10-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Thank god the Pittsburg show is one of the Best Audience recordings and best 8mm films captured on tape by fans!(y)

yes, Jon, you have a very good point. Thank god for the fans that took the risk.
the fans were even TCBing back then...(y)

1100ccRider
10-10-2008, 06:59 PM
There was no way of knowing ahead of time that the Pittsburgh show was going to be above average for that time period.Elvis was just to unpredictable by 1976.His concerts were a crapshoot.That Pittsburgh show was just another stop on the road.No reason to film it.Conversley, nobody could have known how bad Omaha was going to be either.It's just the way it worked out.Actually Elvis had no business doing any tv special in 76 or 77.He wasnt in any condition for it.That includes the Pittsburgh show which is over hyped.

I agree (you write pretty much my first thought). The December 1976 tour was great -- magnificent by 1976 standards but still very good when compared to shows from the previous few years -- but there was no way they could have known that ahead of time, even with Elvis having lost weight and regained a good degree of vigor before the October tour. These projects take time to set up, especially on the business side, and Elvis in that last 18 months or so was just too unpredictable. For example, Omaha and Indianapolis were only a week apart but much further apart in terms of quality and Elvis' overt state of health.

As for shooting ALL of his concerts, or at least a great many of them, the reality is that doing so would have been pretty expensive with even a single-camera setup if you're talking film. However, though the quality may not have been as pristine, shooting the concerts on broadcast-quality video from two or three vantage points would have been feasible and fairly inexpensive once the more portable technology was in Elvis' hands (certainly during the last year or two of his life) and if Elvis used two or three members of his overly large entourage, trained in the basics essential to capturing good images, to man the cameras and actually do something useful. Realistically, it's unlikely that Elvis or anyone around him would have seen the point in doing this, though, and even 16mm film would have been too expensive for all but very special events in the first few years following his 1969 return to the stage (and, yes, I think they should have filmed some of these occasions, at least in part...obvious big events, like July 31, 1969, the Astrodome in 1970, his first real tour show in Phoenix, 1970 -- where MGM actually HAD a film crew in place -- and so on).

As an aside, I've always thought that That's The Way It Is shot in 1969 and Elvis On Tour shot on the November, 1971 tour would have been perhaps even better than the admittedly excellent concert documentaries we did get. So, yes, Elvis In Concert shot in Pittsburgh would have, in hindsight, been better than doing it on what turned out to be the final tour, but better yet would have been letting Elvis recover and save the project for his massive 1984 concert in Tokyo...

Unchained Melody
10-10-2008, 09:01 PM
It was good that Elvis got motivated in October 1976 to loose wight and get back in fighting shape. I'm sure the book was definitley a major factor in the motivation department.

By that last tour, of course, I think he was trying to impress the new girlfriend, what man wouldn;t have done the same thing. Also I think he was looking forward to 1977 because its been said Elvis was under the impression he was going to have alot of time off from touring the following year and was excited about that.

Nobody knew that that last tour was going to be as good as it was, so therefore there was no reason to film it, it was just another tour in the book just like all the others from 1976. Of course it would've been better than the shows CBS taped Omaha and Rapid City but they just had to do the best with what they had.

Unchained Melody
10-10-2008, 09:02 PM
A buddy of mine is a super Hank Jr. fan and he says
"every" Hank Williams Jr. show has been recorded by HWJr.'s crew for the last 10 years. To bad that was not the case with Elvis.

That would be heaven had they done the same with Elvis' shows. Such a pity though . :supriced::supriced:

Jungleroom76
10-11-2008, 02:39 PM
sure there was no way of knowing that New Years Eves was going to be a great show but just the fact that it was a New Years Eve concert should have been documented with professional taping. It takes nothing to hook up a reel to reel machine to a soundboard back then. Having maybe 2 or 3 cameras, Left, Right and Center set up to film. The price of 3 cars or The Colonel's gambling away a million dollars in one night could have paid to document Elvis, good show or not, it was NEW YEARS EVE.
another thing, it's common knowledge that, the last night of a tour the artist is usually loose and doesn't have the pressure of doing a show the next day so they give all they have.

ALL EXCELLENT POINTS MOJOELVIS!!! (y)

Certainly an Elvis concert on New Year's Eve was a HUGE deal...I'm actually surprised that The Colonel didn't see this as a MAJOR money maker and have the show professionally filmed for a TV special, a movie documentary of some kind, or something like that. Certainly The Colonel wouldn't miss a money making opportunity like that...perhaps this might just be the case of a missed opportunity??? :hmm:

In any case, as Brad pointed out, we can all be thankful that the Pittsburgh show has turned out to be one of the best shows ever bootlegged, both in terms of audio as well as video!! :D

I'm aware of the 8mm films of his last concert and I feel that June 26th should have been professionally video taped too.

Well on the surface, at the time, there was no real reason to consider taping the Indianapolis show....it was just the last show on yet another tour.

Clearly though, if they knew then that it would have been Elvis' last ever live performance, you can bet your bottom dollar that The Colonel would have had that Indianapolis show professionally recorded!!!

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
10-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Clearly though, if they knew then that it would have been Elvis' last ever live performance, you can bet your bottom dollar that The Colonel would have had that Indianapolis show professionally recorded!!!

TCB!
Mike

Agreed Mike, theres no doubt about that!!

Also had the colonel and others known how great the Pittsburg show was going to be, I think he would've had it recorded Professionally too.

The same goes for other concerts that we should have had filmed pro, the Madison Square Garden Shows, Memphis 1974, June 10th 1975, and July 5th 1976..those would have all been great !!

Jungleroom76
10-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Agreed Mike, theres no doubt about that!!

Also had the colonel and others known how great the Pittsburg show was going to be, I think he would've had it recorded Professionally too.

The same goes for other concerts that we should have had filmed pro, the Madison Square Garden Shows, Memphis 1974, June 10th 1975, and July 5th 1976..those would have all been great !!

I'm actually surprised that more of Elvis' concerts weren't professionally filmed by The Colonel for possible use in some sort of money making venture at some point. :hmm:

But then again, by paying the people necessary to film a concert, it would cut into The Colonel's profits so perhaps that is the reason why more shows weren't professionally filmed?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
10-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Also Colonel's way of thinking on this was, you don't want to have Elvis all over the tv etc, guess he thought less people would come to the shows if they could just watch them on tv all the time. :mad:

Jungleroom76
10-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Also Colonel's way of thinking on this was, you don't want to have Elvis all over the tv etc, guess he thought less people would come to the shows if they could just watch them on tv all the time. :mad:

That is an EXCELLENT point too my brother!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

epmoodyblue
10-12-2008, 05:28 PM
yep thank god for those who taped the pittsburgh 76 concert...those who wont admit it was a great show are not real elvis fans and dont know what there talking about....the whole dec 76 tour rocked including dallas 76 .elvis put on awesome concerts on that tour(y)(y)

Unchained Melody
10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
yep thank god for those who taped the pittsburgh 76 concert...those who wont admit it was a great show are not real elvis fans and dont know what there talking about....the whole dec 76 tour rocked including dallas 76 .elvis put on awesome concerts on that tour(y)(y)

I LOVE the Dallas concert from December 28th 1976. No doubt Elvis was kickin tail during that 5 day tour, wearing all different suits starting with the Blue Swirl in Witchita 12.27,, then old indian feather in dallas12,28, inca gold leaf in burmingham12-29, king of spades in atlanta12-30, and the black phoenix in pittsburg 12-31.(y)

lvs2day
10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
was looking at this film the other night[it sure has bin a while since i seen this again] and boy does he lay it on here with great versions of fairytale , boss man, hurt it ranks as one of his best performances ever that's for sure , luckily there were at least 4 people shooting that night, definetly a new year to remember.