PDA

View Full Version : Elvis and Priscilla Wedding Barbie Dolls

suspicious_mind
08-13-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/13/elvis.priscella.dolls.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Has anyone else seen these yet?

Sheila
08-13-2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/13/elvis.priscella.dolls.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Has anyone else seen these yet?

Still waiting to get one! Have been checling the toys stores, Walmart and Target stores.

MissyM
08-14-2008, 06:12 AM
I think it's digusting!

Lisarose
08-14-2008, 07:18 AM
I've not seen these on the store shelves yet, but have been waiting. I'm going to pass on this set - $65? I should have bought the Mattel Elvis and Barbie set when I visited Graceland 8 years ago. I think that doll looked more like Elvis.

MIElvis
08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Geez I thought they got divorced in 1973 ? Silly me

EnigmaticSun
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
This is terrible.

marce_itec70
08-14-2008, 01:43 PM
my opinion toward her Gaaaaagh!:cursing:

I will have only Elvis doll:king::notworthy

Tony Trout
08-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Geez I thought they got divorced in 1973 ? Silly me

Apparently, someone didn't get the 'memo' that they did divorce....*rolls eyes*

:blink::blink:

Ronn
08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm not interested in the Priscilla doll. Why include her? I just want the "Elvis" doll if the likeness is really good. Who ever thought of this? It think it will sell a lot more if it's just Elvis.

Dovey
08-15-2008, 05:38 AM
I think it shows very poor taste but I am sure some people will buy them.. Elvis was divorced from her .. it does not seem right to me. I do not know of anybody that is divorced that would want a doll made of them and their X-Spouse.:doh: Dovey

Diane
08-15-2008, 06:03 AM
I feel it's in very poor taste for the same reason. But the "widow" Presley has traded on this sort of thing from the beginning and it shows a terrible lack of true class.

Diane

MissyM
08-15-2008, 06:53 AM
It's all about Cilla. Of all the accomplishments of his to celebrate at this time of year.....I'd put that marriage lowest on the list. Oh heck, scratch it from the list all-togeather since they divorced. Why does this women want to re-write history. Some one needs to smack her upside the head with a reality stick!

Tommy
08-15-2008, 07:06 AM
I have to admit they did a good job on the dolls.

nyc
08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
I have to admit they did a good job on the dolls.

Except they added the Barbie Doll equivalent of about 8 inches to Priscilla's height, because d Elvis towered over her.

Other than that, the Priscilla doll resembles her. But I don't think the Elvis one looks like him at all.

Unchained Melody
08-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Not bad. But they divorced....sheesshh:blink:

shelley.m.
08-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Anything to make a fast buck,that's all.

Awickedreigndrop
08-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Anything to make a fast buck,that's all.

Yep, money talks and at EPE very loudly!

Unique Dog
08-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Lucilla Ball and Desi Arnaz divorced too but they produce dolls with their likeness. I don`t see the problem. Geezz........

riley
08-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Nice dolls but like MissyM said, they were divorced.
Pris walked out on that marriage and coudn't wait to have him out of her life. Why now those dolls after so many many years. Pris is not his widow, she is only a very fortunate EX

Cherokee
08-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Lucilla Ball and Desi Arnaz divorced too but they produce dolls with their likeness. I don`t see the problem. Geezz........

But they remained a couple on their TV show, while they were already on the outs in the marriage department. If the dolls were not the real life versions of Lucy and Desi, they would still be of value as replicas of TV's Ricky and Lucy!
Beaulieu and Presley were only a real life couple, and only married for 5 years. She had NO part in his professional history, i.e. like Sonny & Cher.
Therefore, it is of no use to have the EX wife as a piece of merchandise based on HIS professional career. Otherwise, they should make an Elvis and Linda pair of dolls too, to represent his longest relationship after his marriage......:cursing: That would make about as much sense. Throw in a team of "Elvis and pals in the fifties" dolls of Elvis with Bill Black, J.D. Fontana and Scotty Moore (throw in a Red doll as a beginning body guard) and a team of "Elvis and the MM" dolls of sixties Elvis with MM dolls, too.:rolleyes:

Elvisgirl
08-17-2008, 05:35 AM
it doesn't even look like them

Unchained Melody
08-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Nice dolls but like MissyM said, they were divorced.
Pris walked out on that marriage and coudn't wait to have him out of her life. Why now those dolls after so many many years. Pris is not his widow, she is only a very fortunate EX

Makes alot of questions come to mind. Like for instance, why she chose to take back her divorced husbands last name years after the divorce was finalized.:blink::blink:

Wendy56
08-17-2008, 11:43 PM
I think those dolls are very expensive. :hmm: I would only get the Elvis doll. :lmfao:

Unchained Melody
08-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I think those dolls are very expensive. :hmm: I would only get the Elvis doll. :lmfao:

I know if I come across them I would pick em up just to have:P

Sheila
08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
HEY, EVERYONE...I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THESE AND JUST FOUND THEM ONLY ONE LEFT. YEP, BOUGHT IT. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I'M NOT REALLY CRAZY ABOUT PRISCILLA EITHER, BUT IT WAS PART OF THE ELVIS HISTORY AND I PUT IT WITH MY COLLECTION. IT'S REALLY NEAT, I HAD THEM ON THE SHELFS IN ORDER. BARBIE LOVE ELVIS, ELVIS GOLD SUIT, ELVIS ARMY, WEDDING SET, 68 SPECIAL AND THE ALOHA ELVIS.
:blush: SHEILA

riley
08-21-2008, 03:19 AM
imo they don't even look that much as Elvis and Pris. Pris is just typical barbie face with black hair and more make up. It is not her at all and she is too tall too.

Elvis doll: what can I say. he is copied zillion times in many many ways but there was only one you know......

MissyM
08-21-2008, 06:02 AM
My main point that at our time of rememberance, there just is a huge amount of accomplishments to commemorate besides his marriage. It's obvious that the marriage is a sore spot with a large portion of fans. His life works, the happiness he brought others, and his personality should have been a top priority. These are all things that the fans can all embrace and celebrate togeather. Something having to do with those would have been more appropriate.
That said, one has to wonder what on earth was EPE thinking when they decided these should be the item of rememberance this year.
It makes me want to gag, almost as much as Cilla's gowns at Graceland. It's just plain tacky IMO. The man was over-whelming in accomplishments. personality. I consider the relationship a mere blip in the whole scheme of things. I would have found it more tolerable if it was an Elvis Doll holding Lisa. Lisa brought him constant joy. That would have brought a smile to my face. Not that I would have bought them but....
It just seems to me that Priscilla would like to perpetuate that she is way more important in his "TOTAL" life than she was. Aside from giving him a child (which any women could do) really what importance did she have in connection with all the things we celebrate about the totality of the man and his life???

ehollier
08-21-2008, 06:11 AM
My main point that at our time of rememberance, there just is a huge amount of accomplishments to commemorate besides his marriage. It's obvious that the marriage is a sore spot with a large portion of fans. His life works, the happiness he brought others, and his personality should have been a top priority. These are all things that the fans can all embrace and celebrate togeather. Something having to do with those would have been more appropriate.
That said, one has to wonder what on earth was EPE thinking when they decided these should be the item of rememberance this year.
It makes me want to gag, almost as much as Cilla's gowns at Graceland. It's just plain tacky IMO. The man was over-whelming in accomplishments. personality. I consider the relationship a mere blip in the whole scheme of things. I would have found it more tolerable if it was an Elvis Doll holding Lisa. Lisa brought him constant joy. That would have brought a smile to my face. Not that I would have bought them but....
It just seems to me that Priscilla would like to perpetuate that she is way more important in his "TOTAL" life than she was. Aside from giving him a child (which any women could do) really what importance did she have in connection with all the things we celebrate about the totality of the man and his life???

MissyM, I really don't have an opinion on the dolls that are the subject of this thread. Honestly, I could care less. To this end, I realize that many fans don't like to even remember the fact that he was married to Priscilla, but his marriage was part of his history. I can see the point of making the dolls to commemorate that part of history.

YOu are correct in that nothing has been done to show Lisa Marie as part of his life. But I don't know if Mattel and Barbie are the way to go when trying to show that part of his life.

presley31
08-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Looks like sillerman idea about the dolls seems to be paying off, they dolls are selling like crazy

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The marriage didn't last all that long, but for the Elvis Presley faithful, the wedding day is special still. And now, Elvis fans have the official, Graceland-approved Elvis and Priscilla wedding dolls to remind them of that magical time.

"This is just another way he's making history, and we want to be part of it," said Angel Durham, who waited all night outside a Graceland souvenir shop to be the first to hand over $65 for a boxed set of the dolls, the newest additions to Mattel's Barbie series.

Durham, 38, of Whitney, Texas, was at the front of about 150 Elvis fans lined up to witness the official unveiling of the dolls, staged as part of Graceland's annual weeklong fan pilgrimage to mark the anniversary of Presley's death on Aug. 16, 1977.

Brenda Moore of Bentonville, Ark., invested less time in getting her dolls but paid out a lot more money for a one-and-only set of dolls signed by Priscilla Presley.

source:http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080813/elvis_doll_080813/20080813?hub=Entertainment&s_name=

Moore, 59, offered the high bid of $6,800 when the autographed box set was auctioned to the fans as a fundraiser for Presley Place, an apartment building in Memphis for homeless families.

"I was so nervous, I don't know if I saw it really well, but I think it's a good likeness," Moore said. "They showed them yesterday and I looked at them online. I was planning to buy them, but never dreamed we would do this."

Moore, a claims manager at Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters, said she and husband Mitchell believe the money is for a good cause.

"Presley Place, where the money will go, we contribute to them every year," she said. "Also, I want that on display in my living room in a curio cabinet."

The dolls, with faces painted to look like Presley and his bride, were designed from photos of the wedding. The groom sports a black paisley tuxedo while the bride wears a white beaded gown and rhinestone tiara.

The couple married in Las Vegas on May 1, 1967, but had split up by early 1972. They formally separated in July 1972 and were divorced in October 1973.

Durham said she got in place Monday night to await her shot at one of the 190 boxed sets Graceland was offering with special unveiling-day stamps. The 40,000 other sets sent to retailers later this year won't have those stamps.

Fans gathered for the unveiling were treated to slices of wedding cake and orange juice served in champagne glasses.

Mattel also issued an Elvis and Barbie doll set in the late 1990s.

MissyM
08-21-2008, 06:37 AM
I do get that Ehollier, that it was part of history, his history,hers and Lisa's. But when I remember him, I hear his songs in my head, I hear his laughter, I see jumpsuits and him blowing away fans with his stage presents, I see a movie scene, I see him stooping to talk to a child, I see him hugging his dad. I could go on and on. I barley picture her or the wedding really. And I do like the look on his face the day he married her. It just isn't at the top of my head when I think of his life. And to me, it's just not all that important.

Am I the only one who see that things are becoming more and more about her and him and about her time with him, than actually about him????

ehollier
08-21-2008, 06:44 AM
I do get that Ehollier, that it was part of history, his history,hers and Lisa's. But when I remember him, I hear his songs in my head, I hear his laughter, I see jumpsuits and him blowing away fans with his stage presents, I see a movie scene, I see him stooping to talk to a child, I see him hugging his dad. I could go on and on. I barley picture her or the wedding really. And I do like the look on his face the day he married her. It just isn't at the top of my head when I think of his life. And to me, it's just not all that important.

Am I the only one who see that things are becoming more and more about her and him and about her time with him, than actually about him????

Missy, all of those images are very worthy and for the fans like you and I, they are very important. However, one must think of what consumer Mattel was targeting when they decided to go ahead with the dolls. The average barbie collector isn't going to understand the images that we find most important. They are going to want the bride and groom in the dress, etc.

The more personal images of Elvis with his family, friends, and fans aren't going to appeal to someone who really doesn't understand. Additionally, Elvis' life was so full of 'moments', your special moments may not be what another fan's moments are. What I find most appealing and memorable, may not be what you find most appealing and memorable. That's one of the things that makes Elvis so universal, too.

MissyM
08-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Very good points I'll admit.

riley
08-21-2008, 09:22 AM
quote MissyM

end quote

I sense that too Missie and it worries me a bit too

Teddy
08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Well she's only really qualified to talk about her own experience.
If she claimed to be an authority on every other aspect of his life then I'm sure we'd all be picking at her for that instead.

beckelvis
08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree with you DOVEY but also must be acknowledged,was a stage in the life of ELVIS and it was she who led GRACELAND even where this and this is not the quite,i think she did a small part that fans could feel that something ELVIS whenever they were in the house and that feeling of having more closely,(although i will feel close to their music) i think it would be proud ELVIS ,in the end PRISCILLA was very special for,right?

Laura Harrell
08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I was at there at Elvis Week for the auction. I woman from Arkansas won the first set of dolls signed by Priscilla for the highest bid of $6,800! The line was quite long to buy a set of them--I didn't buy one

Tommy
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I was at there at Elvis Week for the auction. I woman from Arkansas won the first set of dolls signed by Priscilla for the highest bid of $6,800! The line was quite long to buy a set of them--I didn't buy one

Good for you gettng to Elvis Week,(y) wow a lot of money for the dolls that's good for the charity(y) right, it was for charity wasn't it?

ehollier
08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Good for you gettng to Elvis Week,(y) wow a lot of money for the dolls that's good for the charity(y) right, it was for charity wasn't it?

I think that the money went to Presley Place, a charity of Lisa Marie.

Tommy
HEY, EVERYONE...I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THESE AND JUST FOUND THEM ONLY ONE LEFT. YEP, BOUGHT IT. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I'M NOT REALLY CRAZY ABOUT PRISCILLA EITHER, BUT IT WAS PART OF THE ELVIS HISTORY AND I PUT IT WITH MY COLLECTION. IT'S REALLY NEAT, I HAD THEM ON THE SHELFS IN ORDER. BARBIE LOVE ELVIS, ELVIS GOLD SUIT, ELVIS ARMY, WEDDING SET, 68 SPECIAL AND THE ALOHA ELVIS.
:blush: SHEILA

Sounds really nice Sheila(y)

Tommy
I think that the money went to Presley Place, a charity of Lisa Marie.

Thank you very much (y)(y)

presley31
08-21-2008, 04:51 PM

One of the new arrivals this year is the first-ever Graceland-sanctioned Elvis and Priscilla wedding doll. The first few models were auctioned for charity in Memphis this week, with bids up to $6,000.

The regular retail models will sell for a suggested $75

Tommy
08-22-2008, 07:59 AM
One of the new arrivals this year is the first-ever Graceland-sanctioned Elvis and Priscilla wedding doll. The first few models were auctioned for charity in Memphis this week, with bids up to $6,000.

The regular retail models will sell for a suggested $75

Thank you very much(y)

Sheila
08-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Sounds really nice Sheila(y)

Thank You. :blush: Sheila

suspicious_mind
08-26-2008, 01:54 AM
I feel it's in very poor taste for the same reason. But the "widow" Presley has traded on this sort of thing from the beginning and it shows a terribly lack of true class.

Diane

I agree with you and alot of others on here. I think its sad.
Shows what some people will do for money...Who cashes in on a marriage? Especially one that ended in divorce?!?!

SatninLove
09-21-2008, 10:31 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on the new Priscilla and Elvis barbie doll?:hmm:
-SatninLove

riley
09-22-2008, 02:09 AM
why picturing two people who divorced alreaddy in 1973

Ronn
09-22-2008, 04:15 AM
I would like to get the Elvis doll ONLY!

presley31
09-22-2008, 06:04 AM
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=22698&highlight=priscilla+elvis+dolls

This is one of the threads on this topic.

Teddy
09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I think I might have said this already, but since it keeps on coming up...

The Elvis & Priscilla wedding dolls were obviously manufactured to commemorate a significant moment in pop-cultural history, not to celebrate an iconic example of marital longevity or acknowledge the impenetrable fidelity of the bride and groom.
In this respect, the dolls are no different or less virtuous than the Elvis figurines which honor the Comeback Special and Aloha or the ornamental plates depicting his army years.

This isn't a crusade to enforce the 'Widow Presley' image- it's just the latest chapter in a long line of Elvis marketing. There is nothing willfully dishonest going on. It's a snapshot in time, that's all.

We can probably question the morality of such gratuitous marketing, but I don't think there is any evidence of history being re-written here.

I appreciate that it's difficult for the more hardcore CillaCynics to allow an opportunity to pass them by. ;)
You should see how venomous I can get when the subject of Suz*nne Finst*d or C*rrie Gr*nt is raised. :unsure:

utmom2008
09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I appreciate that it's difficult for the more hardcore CillaCynics to allow an opportunity to pass them by. ;)
You should see how venomous I can get when the subject of Suz*nne Finst*d or C*rrie Gr*nt is raised. :unsure:

Just how venomous?:supriced: ;);) :lol::lol:

Teddy
09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Too venomous to maintain even a shred of dignity.

Donut
09-23-2008, 01:42 PM

Well Teddy, maybe because some of us see all this from the perspective of the one who was dumped by his wife because found a new love interest, came back after his death and made a fortune out of it. I know we won't agree but forget for a moment who they are and concentrate on that fact.
As for the book you are refering to I can believe most of it same as I can believe most of the stories not so positive written about Elvis, I can't see why she could not have made mistakes in her life if we all including Elvis make them all the time. Maybe if she started to not put the blame of all her bad decisions and mistakes on Elvis some of us who don't like her at all would at least try to understand her position better.

" Loving Suzanne Finstad so you don't have to..."

utmom2008
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Well Teddy, maybe because some of us see all this from the perspective of the one who was dumped by his wife because found a new love interest, came back after his death and made a fortune out of it. I know we won't agree but forget for a moment who they are and concentrate on that fact.
As for the book you are refering to I can believe most of it same as I can believe most of the stories not so positive written about Elvis, I can't see why she could not have made mistakes in her life if we all including Elvis make them all the time. Maybe if she started to not put the blame of all her bad decisions and mistakes on Elvis some of us who don't like her at all would at least try to understand her position better.

" Loving Suzanne Finstad so you don't have to..."

Outstanding points Donut....nothing more to add.;)(y)

presley31
09-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I think I might have said this already, but since it keeps on coming up...

The Elvis & Priscilla wedding dolls were obviously manufactured to commemorate a significant moment in pop-cultural history, not to celebrate an iconic example of marital longevity or acknowledge the impenetrable fidelity of the bride and groom.
In this respect, the dolls are no different or less virtuous than the Elvis figurines which honor the Comeback Special and Aloha or the ornamental plates depicting his army years.

This isn't a crusade to enforce the 'Widow Presley' image- it's just the latest chapter in a long line of Elvis marketing. There is nothing willfully dishonest going on. It's a snapshot in time, that's all.

We can probably question the morality of such gratuitous marketing, but I don't think there is any evidence of history being re-written here.

Teddy soemtimes its good to let things die down and this is of them. Its been really nice around here so lets not blow it.

Donut
09-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Teddy soemtimes its good to let things die down and this is of them. Its been really nice around here so lets not blow it.

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=22698&highlight=priscilla+elvis+dolls

This is one of the threads on this topic.

Excuse me P but, why did you remind us of the other thread about this just yesterday then? I think Teddy has the right to give his opinion on this even though he doesn't think like me.

presley31
09-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Excuse me P but, why did you remind us of the other thread about this just yesterday then? I think Teddy has the right to give his opinion on this even though he doesn't think like me.

When l posted that link l thought it was a new thread started. Teddy well he can't sit back and let priscilla get the bad end of the stick and lets face it these threads always get heated no matter who's stating there opinions, so sometimes it best to move on when peope have said there opinions over and over again..have a nice day :D

Donut
09-23-2008, 03:41 PM
When l posted that link l thought it was a new thread started. Teddy well he can't sit back and let priscilla get the bad end of the stick and lets face it these threads always get heated no matter who's stating there opinions, so sometimes it best to move on when peope have said there opinions over and over again..have a nice day :D

I don't see it that way P, to him the dolls commemorate a moment in pop cultural history and to me and others mean a distortion of reality. Nothing else. ;)

presley31
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't see it that way P, to him the dolls commemorate a moment in pop cultural history and to me and others mean a distortion of reality. Nothing else. ;)

well thats your opinion donut, but me is moving on to other threads..enjoy.

Donut
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
well thats your opinion donut, but me is moving on to other threads..enjoy.

OK, I will ;)

utmom2008
09-23-2008, 03:59 PM

That's the statement that I just can't agree with. I don't think many see the their marriage as a "significant moment in pop-cultural history" besides Ann, Paul and Priscilla. If you ask any of the young people of today for a "significant moment" where Elvis Presley is concerned, chances are very good they are NOT going to mention Priscilla.:lol::lol:

utmom2008
09-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Here's a pic of the significant moment from the thread that P31 pulled up. Enjoy Teddy!;):D:D

TotallyInsane
09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
A day I would like to forget!!! I was very very bitter for a 3rd grader!!!!!!!

Teddy
09-24-2008, 03:35 AM
[/u][/b]

That's the statement that I just can't agree with. I don't think many see the their marriage as a "significant moment in pop-cultural history" besides Ann, Paul and Priscilla. If you ask any of the young people of today for a "significant moment" where Elvis Presley is concerned, chances are very good they are NOT going to mention Priscilla.:lol::lol:

But despite whatever you and Donut think, that almost certainly was the motive behind the commemorative dolls. They weren't created to hijack history in Priscilla's favor or even to whitewash the event.
And like it or not, it was one of the most significant pop-culture moments of 1967, alongside Sgt Pepper and Monterey etc. and was arguably the furthest reaching in terms of international media acknowledgment for a single event.
It was certainly the most high-profile event of Elvis's year. Come to think of it, when covering the mid-60s specifically, it becomes difficult to identify any real milestones in Elvis's career beyond the endless movies- and that probably reveals more about the decision to produce the wedding dolls than any amount of benefit to Priscilla's image.
The dolls exist for the same reason that their wedding outfits are on display at Graceland- it's because most people (young ones included) find that more interesting than the protracted line of movie posters and props.

Regarding the merit of discussing this stuff, I don't think there's any real harm in this thread. I'm not inclined to think any worse of anyone for having their opinion and since everyone already knows my position (on the wildly desirable Priscilla Presley) I'm almost duty bound to fight her corner with no further risk to my already tattered reputation. :lol: As long as I attempt to qualify it in a constructive way, of course, without resorting to mud-slinging.

It would be terribly dull if we all felt the same. I find it compelling that the dolls create a knee-jerk reaction in some people, however neurotic or misguided (;);)), because it tells us something fascinating about the devotion which Elvis inspires in his following and that alone almost justifies it.

Cherokee
09-24-2008, 05:02 AM
manufactured to commemorate a significant moment in pop-cultural history

Okay, then I hope they make a SERIES of Elvis dolls including: Elvis from
the hips up (no, not half a doll, just the outfit of that show) on Ed
Sullivan, Elvis gets a haircut for the army, Elvis with Frank & Nancy
Sinatra, Sammy Davis jr. and Joey Bishop dolls for the first TV appearance
after leaving the army.

Teddy
09-24-2008, 05:10 AM
You mean they haven't already??! :lol:

Donut
09-24-2008, 05:50 AM
The dolls exist for the same reason that their wedding outfits are on display at Graceland

On that we agree :D

Teddy
09-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Don't tell me- you think that the outfits provide no contribution of historical value to the Elvis story and are only exhibited at Graceland in order to bestow an unnecessarily generous amount of significance on his ex-wife's inconvenient appearance in his life from 1959 onwards? :laughing:

Donut
09-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Don't tell me- you think that the outfits provide no contribution of historical value to the Elvis story and are only exhibited at Graceland in order to bestow an unnecessarily generous amount of significance on his ex-wife's inconvenient appearance in his life from 1959 onwards? :laughing:

WOW Teddy are you clairvoyant or what! :laughing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zl5NRQ-MYxI&hl=es&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zl5NRQ-MYxI&hl=es&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MissyM
09-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Pop culture history?? I'm sorry, really, IMO that is so overblown. Interesting, but not historical. Now the day that Yoko Ono, and John Lennon did that interveiw in their bed, that was history. It personified Lennon and her, and their world veiws.(Make Love not War) The theme was filtered into his music of that time.
And seeing that there is so much controversy over if Elvis even wanted to get married right then, I think the whole thing should be played down. Many people think that the whole thing had a negative effect on Elvis's life, so in some ways many rather not even celebrate it. I can see it being part of Graceland history, because they lived there. And they had a second ceremony their. So the clothes on display, yeh, I can see that.
And are we going to say that it is a mere coincidence that Priscilla has thrust herself (since the break up with Girabaldi) into being seen as the Matriarch of Graceland! She has become all about being Elvis's wife more than ever before, even allowing the media to call her the Widow Presley. How clever.
It's P.R. and it's for the people who still believe in the whole Fairy Tale romance thing, which is extremely unrealistic and fodder.
Considering that the marriage only lasted for the most part for about a year and a half, till it fell apart, and there are years and years of Elvis's personal accomplishments as and artist, there was surely a better item that could have been made to commemorate his life.

Teddy
09-24-2008, 06:46 AM
And seeing that there is so much controversy over if Elvis even wanted to get married right then, I think the whole thing should be played down.

That's just it- there is no playing it down and the fact that it has since become controversial just makes it even more significant and more historic than it was in the first place when the pictures and story were broadcast worldwide.

It isn't enough to just 'not like Priscilla' and hope the whole thing blows over.
Her innumerable detractors are making the biggest contribution of all to ensuring that Elvis's wedding is etched bold in history for as long as he is. Even manufacturing dolls can't beat that.

Teddy
09-24-2008, 06:49 AM
WOW Teddy are you clairvoyant or what! :laughing:

That's what they tell me ;)
Love the video! :D:D:D

Teddy
09-24-2008, 06:56 AM
there was surely a better item that could have been made to commemorate his life.

Admittedly, it looks like they're starting to run out of ideas. In terms of covering 1967, however, few people would argue that a figurine of Elvis in his red Clambake! outfit, complete with band-aid on forehead, is what the world is crying out for. (Although I'd probably buy it :blush:)

The life-size animatronic head commemorating the '68 Comeback Special made these wedding dolls look positively tasteful.

MissyM
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
I just wonder if there was a doll made, with him and each of the main members of the MM, if people would buy them and think it was a great idea? I just feel his musical accomplishments are what new fans and old perpetuate the greatness of his musical accomplishments much better. (not his relationships)

Teddy
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I just wonder if there was a doll made, with him and each of the main members of the MM, if people would buy them and think it was a great idea? I just feel his musical accomplishments are what new fans and old perpetuate the greatness of his musical accomplishments much better. (not his relationships)

Well I think we're in agreement on most of this. His musical accomplishments should definitely be prized above all.
However, while I would like to agree that newcomers to Elvis are entirely attracted by his music and that all those visitors to Graceland are there to pay tribute to him as an artist, it would require a tremendous leap of faith to do so.
The truth is, we are living in celebrity-fixated times and many people are taking an interest in him now because they are seduced by The Elvis Story as much as his performances on record and stage.

As long as people will pay to see his gun and police badge collection etc they'll be doing the same to see the suit he got married in.

I can see where you're going with the Memphis Mafia dolls analogy though and perhaps it's only a matter of time! :)

utmom2008
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
The life-size animatronic head commemorating the '68 Comeback Special made these wedding dolls look positively tasteful.

How about a doll that sings "Slicin' Sand"...it could jump up at just the right moment.:supriced::lol::lol:

Teddy
09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Your suggestion may become a reality. I imagine that EPE representatives are already browsing here for market research and making notes. ;)

:secret: If anybody's listening, can we have a Cilla in Honeymoon Outfit doll too and Pocahontas Cilla in Vegas (with removable dress) followed by Karate Cilla leading inevitably to Modeling Bis & Beau Cilla and Divorce Day Cilla with detachable alimony papers....

utmom2008
09-24-2008, 10:51 AM
:secret: If anybody's listening, can we have a Cilla in Honeymoon Outfit doll too and Pocahontas Cilla in Vegas (with removable dress) followed by Karate Cilla leading inevitably to Modeling Bis & Beau Cilla and Divorce Day Cilla with detachable alimony papers....

Sounds good...but only if we can have an evil, Afro-wearing Mike Stone doll to complete the set.;):lol::lol:

Teddy
09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Definitely. It would be ideal for voodoo purposes.
With that in mind, I ought to hope that they make a C*rrie Gr*nt doll, too.
It would save me hours of creating effigies to mutilate on rainy days.

utmom2008
09-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Definitely. It would be ideal for voodoo purposes.
With that in mind, I ought to hope that they make a C*rrie Gr*nt doll, too.
It would save me hours of creating effigies to mutilate on rainy days.

Let's not leave out Mike Edwards. How do you make a pedophile doll....anybody know?:doh::lol:

Teddy
09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
:lmfao:
Why stop at Edw*rds? I want Jul*o Ig*seas and Rich*rd G*re on there, dam*it!!

utmom2008
09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
:lmfao:
Why stop at Edw*rds? I want Jul*o Ig*seas and Rich*rd G*re on there, dam*it!!

Now we are talking.:hmm: A Richard Gere doll might be nice.:lmfao: :lmfao:

Teddy
09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey! :mad:

utmom2008
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey! :mad:

:supriced::supriced::supriced: :lol::lol::lol:

Diane
09-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I have the James Dean doll.:lol:

Diane

utmom2008
09-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I have the James Dean doll.:lol:

Diane

There's that wild and rebellious side coming out again!;):D:lol::lol:

Unchained Melody
09-24-2008, 04:38 PM
These dolls should just be looked at as collectors items and nothing more.
Take them for what they are. Saves alot of fussin' and arguing if you ask me.

utmom2008
09-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Take them for what they are. Saves alot of fussin' and arguing if you ask me.

Maybe that's part of the fun!;);):lol::lol:

Unchained Melody
09-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Maybe that's part of the fun!;);):lol::lol:

MHmmm.:lmfao::lmfao: