PDA

View Full Version : A different hollywood career and missed roles

Brian
07-20-2008, 07:40 PM
As a follow up to the hits Elvis missed thread I thought it would fun to discuss a roles Elvis didn't get and was offered or considered for and some we all think he could have been good in had he lived here is my list:
( I apologize for the length there are a lot of roles to talk about)

''The Rainmaker'' Reportedly when Hal Wallis first saw Elvis on t.v. singing he thought he better offer Elvis a movie contract and he did just that. Elvis said in interviews that this was going to be his first role and even made a screen test but once Elvis signed a seven year Hollywood contract the role was given to character actor Earl Holliman and Elvis first film turned out to be Love me Tender as Mr. Wallis loaned Elvis to 20th century fox. I saw an interview with Earl Hoffman a few years ago where he was talking about his role in this film and he mentions that Elvis was going to do the role before he got it he seemed to scoff at the idea that Elvis could do a good job in this film. apparently Hal Wallis had reservations about putting Elvis in a movie with two great established Hollywood actors Burt Lancaster and Earl Holliman and felt they would blow an unexpierenced Elvis off the screen so Holliman got the role also Wallis intention was to capitalize on Elvis popularity as a singer and not a dramatic actor. Do you think in your opinion could Elvis have handled the role opposite Burt Lancaster and Katherine Hepburn.

''Love me tender'' This turned out to be Elvis first role and I always thought this movie was okay and Elvis acting was okay considering it was his first role the only thing I would change about it is I would eliminate all the songs except for the title song as I think this should have been a non singing role for Elvis.

''Loving You'' same as was filmed and released

''Jailhouse Rock'' same as filmed and released

''King Creole'' same as filmed and released

''Thunder Road'' Robert Mitchum indepently produced this film himself and had the role of his brother especially wriitten for Elvis but Hal Wallis wouldn't allow Elvis permisson to play in the film and the Colonel didn't like the fact that Elvis would be paid less than his usual fee. I like Mitchum but this wasn't one of his better movies and wasn't a box office success. Mr. Mitchum has said that he should have took on a more active role as producer to make sure the film was better than it was. This film did find cult status though
What do you all think do you feel Elvis should have played in this film?

''The Defiant Ones'' it has been reported that Elvis was actually offered the role of John ''Joker'' Jackson in this 1958 best picture nominee. rumored has it Elvis was offered the role after he impressed people with his role in King Creole but had been drafted and couldn't take the role. Robert Mitchum and Marlon Brando turned down the role before Tony Curtis got the role and the Oscar nomination. I believe Elvis would have learned a lot from working with a great actor like Sidney Poitier and I also view this as a major missed opportunity for Elvis.

''Rio Bravo'' Elvis wasn't actually offered this role but a lot of fans over the years have speculated for years that Elvis could have been very good and better in this role than what Ricky Nelson was and more believable as a gunfighter than the babyface Nelson. What do you think?

''A Fugitive Kind'' Directed by the great Sidney Lumet and from a Tennesse Williams play this story of a guitar playing man in trouble with the law wearing a snake skin jacket was played by Marlon Brando, Mr. Lumet has said that he should have cast Elvis since the character was a sometime musician and was closer to the characters age what do you all think about it?

''Gi Blues'' The only thing I would change about this film is that I would have put the Leiber/Stoller songs into the film to make the soundtrack stronger.

''Flaming Star'' I like this film and feel in a lot of ways it is better than King Creole because Elvis always wanted to do non singing roles and this is a largely non singing role the only thing I would change would be the songs in the square dance scences as I feel they don't fit.

''Wild in the Country'' The only thing I would have changed about this film is to get rid of the songs as they don't fit into the movie.

''Walk on the Wild side'' This was an idea that Leiber/Stoller came up with they knew Elvis wanted to be a serious actor and they then suggested that the best selling novel by Nelson Algren be turned into a movie and to be directed by Eliza Kazan and the screen play written by Budd Shulberg. they told the Colonel about it and he got mad at the because he felt they should stick to songwriting and were trying to do his job I still don't know if the studios would go for Elvis in a non singing role, The movie was made two years later with different actors and director and was widely panned including british actor Laurence Harvey miscasted as an unconvincing Texan. Fans have speculated that this would have been a great project for Elvis and no doubt the project could have been better had Kazan and Schulberg been on board but I just didn't like the plot of the book or movie it's about a man that finds out his child sweetheart is a prostitute and tries to save her from her lifestyle. What are your opinions on this?

''West Side Story'' For the past ten or fifteen years it has been said that Elvis was actually offered the role of Tony in this 1961 best picture winner. I don't know if he was actually offered the role as I have never heard anyone connected with West side Story say he was but I could see him in the role for a number of reasons. Elvis was a singer and could sing broadway show tunes and wouldn't have to have his voice dubbed like Richard Beymer did
I think he would be more realistic in the fight scences and considering the character of Tony doesn't really do much in the movie I think Elvis could have handled it the only thing I could see Elvis having trouble with are the complex dance numbers and the New york accent. What are your opinions on this role?

''Splendor in the Grass'' Directed by Eliza Kazan a movie about two troubled teenage lovers and the movie that help make Warren Beatty a star because Elvis was romantically involved with Natalie Wood at one time and was close to Warren Beatty age I could see him in this role. What do you think?

''Follow the Dream'' same as is minus the songs

''Sweet Bird of Youth'' Elvis was reportedly the first choice for the role, I think this would be a really gritty role for Elvis to take and something different for him. The Colonel didn't want Elvis to play a bad guy and Elvis was busy making other movies so Paul Newman got the role.

''Fun in Acapulco'' same as is except I would have tried and replaced the songs ''There's no room to rumba'' and ''The bullfighter was a lady''

''Viva Las Vegas'' same as is except RCA should have released a soundtrack to the film.

''Roustabout'' The only thing I would change would be use Otis Blackwells ''Roustabout'' as the title song instead and also get Mr. Blackwell to write some more rockers along with adding Leiber/Stollers ''Down in Mexico'' to strengthen the soundtrack.

''Baby the Rain Must Fall'' this underrated Steve McQueen film was considered to star Elvis according to Sonny West Elvis was disappointed when he didn't get it.

''Stay Away Joe'' According to screenwriter Michael Hoey the script he had originally written was watered doen by the studio, his originally script was originally modeled and similar to the movie Hud had the movie not been changed this could have been a very good role for Elvis

''In Cold Blood'' I had heard Elvis was considered for Robert Blake's role based on Truman Capote's best selling Novel I could see Elvis in this role. What do all of you think?

''Live a little love a little'' same as is except take out the songs

''Trouble With Girls'' same as is except take out the songs and give the film it's original title Chaquitis.

''Change of Habit'' same as released I always liked this film although at times I think it tries to be too social cautious and have too much going on.

''Charro'' I feel this could be a real gritty role for Elvis if it had a bigger budget and a great director like Don Siegel or Sam Peckinpah

''Midnight Cowboy'' Elvis was actually offered the role of Joe Buck in this 1969 best picture winner but didn't get the role as he was busy with other commitments Jon Voight took the role and got a oscar nomination.
Some fans debate whether Elvis could have taken the role due to the subject matter of the film I think Elvis should have done this role as it was controversial and think how controversy helped Elvis early in his career, I also think it would have benefited Elvis to work with Dustin Hoffman

''True Grit'' I don't think Elvis was actually offered this role but could definately see Elvis doing this role, My favorite John Wayne film, Glen Campbell has been criticized for his acting in this picture, I am sure Elvis could have done better.

''Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'' According to Sonny West in his new book Elvis was offered this role but had to turn it down because of other roles I honestly can't see Elvis in the Redford role can any of you?

''Dirty Harry'' I have heard fans say it would be cool to see Elvis in this film and according to Sonny he was offered it personally by Don Seigel who came backstage to see Elvis and told him about the movie, Elvis had to turn it down because of concert commitment I can't see Elvis in the role as Clint Eastwood has be come so iconic in the role as Detective Callahan. Could you see Elvis doing this role?

''Unamed Karate film'' According to what I have heard over the years is that Elvis was offered the chance to do a Karate type action film the sypnosis was Elvis would play a former Cia agent who ran a Karate school who is called by in to acton by his former bosses. The film never got made.

''A Star is born'' I disagree with fans who say this would have gotten Elvis respect as a serious actor, The movie was widely panned and is considered by many as Streisands worst film. According to Sonny West Elvis was the one who turned this film down himself after promising Streisand to lose weight and get in shape he changed his mind and asked the Colonel to get him out of it, The Colonel took all the heat for Elvis not doing the film but it was Elvis doing not the Colonel's

''Close Encounters'' I could see Elvis in the Richard Dreyfuss role. This film was directed by Spielberg, had a wonderful cast and was a huge hit when released in 1977 #2 grossing for the year behind Star wars

''Days of Heaven'' This critically acclaimed film by Terrence Malick I could see Elvis in the Richard Gere role

''Brubaker'' To start off the 80's I think Elvis would be good as John Brubaker

''Terms of Endearment'' The 1983 Best picture winner and huge hit, I can see Elvis in Jack Nicholson's role as the ex astronaught neighbor this role was original written for Burt Reynolds who passed on it. Mr. Nicholson won best supporting actor for the role.

''Blood Simple'' The Coen Brothers first film I could see Elvis playing the sleazy detective that M. Emmet Walsh played. Mr. Walsh won the independent spirit award for best actor for this role

''Amadeus'' This 1984 best picture winner I could see Elvis in the F.Murray Abraham since Mr. Abraham was from El Paso and didn't look like Scalleri at all and Mick Jagger screen tested for the role so why not Elvis.

''Mask'' I always thought the Last picture show was overrated but I feel this is Peter Bogdanovich best feel given Elvis love for motorcycles I could see him doing this film

''Hoosiers'' This acclaimed sports drama I could see Elvis in Gene Hackman's role.

''Running on Empty'' A better Sidney Lumet film for Elvis to be in would be this underrated and little seen 1988 movie. I could see Elvis in Judd Hirsch role.

''Misery'' this was the best film of 1990 in my opinion I could see Elvis in the James Caan role.

''Silence of the Lambs'' this 1991 Best picture winner I could see Elvis in Scott Glenn's role as FBI boss Jack Crawford

''The Rock'' I could see Elvis in Sean Connery role in this 1996 blockbuster

''Jackie Brown'' given that Quentin Tarrantino is a big Elvis fan and is close to Robert Forsters age I could see him as Max Cherry. Robert Forster got an oscar nomination as best supporting actor.

''Ronin'' Since Elvis never got to work with Director John Frankenheimer I think this would have been a good movie for him, I can see him in Deniro's role.

''Double Jepordy'' Tommy Lee Jones Role''

''Kill Bill Vol.1 and 2'' I could see Elvis in David Carradine's role given his background in martial arts and director Tarrantino is a big fan i see Elvis in these movies.

What do you think of the roles Elvis missed?

Do you think Elvis would have been good in these roles?

What are some movies and what roles could you see Elvis doing?

I again apologize for the length of this post

utmom2008
07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm sorry, but I have alot of trouble believing that Elvis was offered the role's in "Midnight Cowboy", "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" or "Dirty Harry." Can you tell us what books you got this info out of? I just don't think Elvis had the acting skills that it took for these kinds of roles. These movies were made after his "comeback" and I don't think he would have been believable in any of them. When you looked at the screen...all you would see is Elvis Presley.:blink::blink::blush::blush:

hounddog
07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I believe that it was the Col that convienced Elvis to not do the Midnight Cowboy role because it was X rated. I read a few times he was offered the role of Joe Buck.
He was also offered the Love Manic, The James Dean Story (Elvis wanted to do this but Warners decided to do a doco instead), The Fastest Gun Alive, The Girl Can't Help it, Your Cheating heart, To Late Blues,The Way to Gold, The Singing Idol, Billy Easter ( was in script prep for Elvis before his death)

The unnamed karate film has been released as The New Gladiators. (i think that's the title)

Brian
07-21-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry, but I have alot of trouble believing that Elvis was offered the role's in "Midnight Cowboy", "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" or "Dirty Harry." Can you tell us what books you got this info out of? I just don't think Elvis had the acting skills that it took for these kinds of roles. These movies were made after his "comeback" and I don't think he would have been believable in any of them. When you looked at the screen...all you would see is Elvis Presley.:blink::blink::blush::blush:

Hi UTmom2008

Marty Lacker has said Elvis was offered the role in Midnight Cowboy.
Midnight cowboy has been know for years by numerous fans
believe it or not Lee Majors was actually offered the role too
I heard Mr. Majors say he was offered the role in a t.v. interview and he said had to turn it down because Big Valley had been picked up for another season and he couldn't do the movie. I can see Elvis in the role more than Lee Majors.

Sonny West in his book says Elvis was offered roles in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Dirty Harry

Regarding Dirty Harry Sonny says in his book that Don Siegel was very impressed with Elvis acting performance in Flaming Star that 10 years later he came to see Elvis backstage and personally offered him the role, Elvis had to turn the role down because of so many scheduled concert commitments.
many people turned down Dirty Harry before Clint Eastwood got it including:
Robert Mitchum, Steve McQueen, Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Paul Newman. I could see Elvis in the role more than most of these actors.
It isn't really Newman's, Sinatra or Fonda's type of movie and I think John Wayne would have been too old. Mr. Mitchum in an interview said he hated the script and hated the movie when he saw it.

Elvis was a good natural actor to begin with and in my opinion would have became a better actor had he got better roles and maybe took a few acting classes.

Brian
07-21-2008, 08:52 AM
I believe that it was the Col that convienced Elvis to not do the Midnight Cowboy role because it was X rated. I read a few times he was offered the role of Joe Buck.
He was also offered the Love Manic, The James Dean Story (Elvis wanted to do this but Warners decided to do a doco instead), The Fastest Gun Alive, The Girl Can't Help it, Your Cheating heart, To Late Blues,The Way to Gold, The Singing Idol, Billy Easter ( was in script prep for Elvis before his death)

The unnamed karate film has been released as The New Gladiators. (i think that's the title)

Hi Hounddog

I was talking about a Karate action movie that was conceived and the script was to be Written by Rick Husky but it never got made. I have heard Jerry Schilling and Sonny West talk about this.

I know about the Karate documentary that Elvis was working on it's a pity he never finished it.

KPM
07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure if he was ever offered the role-but the director of the movie John Schlesinger has said that when he read the screenplay- Elvis was who came to his mind for the Jon Voight role.

Unchained Melody
07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Had elvis been given permission by parker to be the lead star in a star is born he definitley would have been on a different career path after that i believe..all the rest i can is pure speculation.

Brian
07-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Had elvis been given permission by parker to be the lead star in a star is born he definitley would have been on a different career path after that i believe..all the rest i can is pure speculation.

Hi Mr. Burrows

How are you sir?

I disagree about a Star is born and the effect it would have had on Elvis career for one thing the movie while a big hit was not critically acclaimed and Barbara Streisand got most of the credit for the commercial success of the film and got to sing 8 of the 11 songs in the film including the big hit Evergreen while Kristofferson sang 3 bad songs Elvis wanted to be a serious actor in non singing roles, and still in this role he would have to play a singer.
The movie was a remake of a remake and both earlier versions were critically acclaimed oscar nominated movies in my opinion it is a bad move to remake a classic hollywood films. According to Sonny West Elvis was excited about making the movie and shook hands with both Streisand and peters, promising to lose weight for the film etc. but then the next day he began badmouthing Streisand and Mr.Peters saying that they have a reputaion that she's hard to get along with (which is true) and has to have everything her way so he went to the Colonel and asked the Colonel to get him out of it the Colonel did it by making insane demands saying he wanted 1 million up front plus 50% of the gross and part of the publishing for the soundtrack. Sonny says Jerry Schilling for example says the Colonel didn't want Elvis in the picture but had he stuck around instead of going back to California the next day he would have known the real reason.
Elvis had the Colonel get him out of the deal because he didn't have the heart to tell Barbara no and the Colonel took all the heat for this again (according to Sonny) Like I say in my opinion a Star is Born is overrated every other movie on that list is better in my opinion.

Miss Clawdy
07-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I believe it was Parker who didn't want Elvis to play in 'A Star is Born'.
Otherwise I am sure he could have affected Elvis positively. But according
to the clip I have posted he did just the opposite. And with Elvis in a
leading role maybe the movie would have been a sensation....who knows? ;)

t2QUE8ligOg

Brian
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I believe it was Parker who didn't want Elvis to play in 'A Star is Born'.
Otherwise I am sure he could have affected Elvis positively. But according
to the clip I have posted he did just the opposite. And with Elvis in a
leading role maybe the movie would have been a sensation....who knows? ;)

t2QUE8ligOg

I respect your opinion perhaps Elvis could have done better than Kris Kristofferson in the role even though Kristofferson got several good reviews for his performance but maybe Elvis could have been better in it I still don't think it would have helped Elvis career because he still would have played a singer and the movie wasn't well received critically or by the people who saw it when it came out.

What do you think of the other roles on this list?

KPM
07-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Mr. Burrows

How are you sir?

I disagree about a Star is born and the effect it would have had on Elvis career for one thing the movie while a big hit was not critically acclaimed and Barbara Streisand got most of the credit for the commercial success of the film and got to sing 8 of the 11 songs in the film including the big hit Evergreen while Kristofferson sang 3 bad songs ElvisQUOTE
The movie was a remake of a remake and both earlier versions were critically acclaimed oscar nominated movies in my opinion it is a bad move to remake a classic hollywood films. According to Sonny West Elvis was excited about making the movie and shook hands with both Streisand and peters, promising to lose weight for the film etc. but then the next day he began badmouthing Streisand and Mr.Peters saying that they have a reputaion that she's hard to get along with (which is true) and has to have everything her way so he went to the Colonel and asked the Colonel to get him out of it .

If Elvis had accepted the role-I'm sure the amount of songs he was given and the level of the songs would have ben raised. Kristofferson was relatively new to the movies and althought a fantastic songwriter-was not known for his singing ablilty.

That is one version of what happened-there is not total agreement among the MM on why the deal fell through.

KPM
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
As far as the comparison of this version to the other 2-its a matter of opinion.
I find that the 1937 version won 1 Oscar with several nominations-but this version IMO is very very dated. The 1954 Judy Garland version was also Oscar nominated but no wins and it also is dated. I saw the 1976 version in the theater and it was well received and the place was sold out. It did a good box office and won some awards so IMO its as good a film as the 1937 version (which is so dated I have never been able to sit thru it all the way) and not far behind the Judy Garland version.
Academy Awards, USA
Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)
1977 Won Oscar Best Music, Original Song
Barbra Streisand (music)
Paul Williams (lyrics)
For the song "Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born)"

Nominated for these
Oscar Best Cinematography
Robert Surtees

Best Music, Original Song Score and Its Adaptation or Best Adaptation Score
Roger Kellaway

Best Sound
Robert Knudson
Dan Wallin
Robert Glass
Tom Overton

Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)
1977 Won Golden Globe Best Motion Picture - Musical/Comedy

Won Best Motion Picture Actor - Musical/Comedy
Kris Kristofferson

Won Best Motion Picture Actress - Musical/Comedy
Barbra Streisand
Won Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Paul Williams
Kenny Ascher

Won Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Barbra Streisand (music)
Paul Williams (lyrics)
For the song "Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born)"."A Star is Born" 1976
Budget
$6,000,000 (estimated)

Gross
$72,000,000 (Worldwide) ( 2003)

Rentals
$37,100,000 (USA)
As of 2003 this film had made $109,000,000-and only cost around $6,000,000 to make- it has done well.So all and all it was a commercial success and it received some critical recognition. I don't know how being involved in this project could have hurt Elvis.
Info from IMBD

Brian
07-22-2008, 03:33 PM
If Elvis had accepted the role-I'm sure the amount of songs he was given and the level of the songs would have ben raised. Kristofferson was relatively new to the movies and althought a fantastic songwriter-was not known for his singing ablilty.[/B]

That is one version of what happened-there is not total agreement among the MM on why the deal fell through.

Hi Ken

I disagree about the number of songs being raised Streisand was a control freak and she was the star of the film it was a star vehicle for her and not the male character. I remember reading in fan magazines that Barbara Streisand told Kris that she would pick the songs and he wasn't allowed to write any himself, she and her boyfriend peters even told him and his band how to perform the songs making him very mad can you imagine Streisand doing that to Elvis and what would have happened if she did? Frank Pierson even wrote an article about his dislike working with her. Sonny says Elvis changed his mind at first he said he would do it and promised too get in shape for the film but then later decided not too he knew about Barbara's and Jon Peter's reputation around Hollywood that it's her way or the highway, Sonny says Elvis personally asked the Colonel to get him out of it.

Sonny goes on to say that if Jerry Schilling had stuck around he would have known it was Elvis doing and not the Colonel's. (Jerry went back to California the next day)
Lamar has also said that Elvis and Streisand wouldn't have worked.
Joe Esposito has said that they wouldn't have been able to get along
What are your thoughts on the movies on the list?

Unchained Melody
07-22-2008, 03:38 PM
I've heard the reason well one of them anways for Parker not wanting Elvis to be in the movie A Stare Is Born was because he didn't want Elvis playing the role of a washed up suicidal rock n roll singer.:hmm:

KPM
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Ken

I disagree about the number of songs being raised Streisand was a control freak and she was the star of the film it was a star vehicle for her and not the male character. I remember reading in fan magazines that Barbara Streisand told Kris that she would pick the songs and he wasn't allowed to write any himself, she and her boyfriend peters even told him and his band how to perform the songs making him very mad can you imagine Streisand doing that to Elvis and what would have happened if she did? Frank Pierson even wrote an article about his dislike working with her. Sonny says Elvis changed his mind at first he said he would do it and promised too get in shape for the film but then later decided not too he knew about Barbara's and Jon Peter's reputation around Hollywood that it's her way or the highway, Sonny says Elvis personally asked the Colonel to get him out of it.

Sonny goes on to say that if Jerry Schilling had stuck around he would have known it was Elvis doing and not the Colonel's. (Jerry went back to California the next day)
Lamar has also said that Elvis and Streisand wouldn't have worked.
Joe Esposito has said that they wouldn't have been able to get along
What are your thoughts on the movies on the list?
Well Elvis did not go to her-she went to Elvis. She could have put our feelers to Parker or to Elvis directly without actually going to "The King" so to speak in person. She did not- she personally pitched the idea to him.
That tells me she had a respect for Elvis as a singer and actor and really wanted him enough to go to him..
Anyone who had read anything about Streisands ego knows this was unusual.
Even though it was a Streisand picture I can not see her not using Elvis as she used Kris. Elvis was (and is) a one of a kind epiphany in music-Kris was (and is)a very talented songwriter/singer but IMO Elvis would have not been relegated to a minor role in the film. Kris's role was not a minor role either-he had plenty of screen time and he was the center of the conflict in the picture. But Kris was a relative newcomer to acting and he was not "ELVIS"
On the other hand, Frank Sinatra had a "supporting role" in "From Here To Eternity" and won an Oscar. So if Elvis had less screen time maybe that would not have been a bad thing.

Brian
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Well Elvis did not go to her-she went to Elvis. She could have put our feelers to Parker or to Elvis directly without actually going to "The King" so to speak in person. She did not- she personally pitched the idea to him.
That tells me she had a respect for Elvis as a singer and actor and really wanted him enough to go to him..
Anyone who had read anything about Streisands ego knows this was unusual.
Even though it was a Streisand picture I can not see her not using Elvis as she used Kris. Elvis was (and is) a one of a kind epiphany in music-Kris was (and is)a very talented songwriter/singer but IMO Elvis would have not been relegated to a minor role in the film. Kris's role was not a minor role either-he had plenty of screen time and he was the center of the conflict in the picture. But Kris was a relative newcomer to acting and he was not "ELVIS"
On the other hand, Frank Sinatra had a "supporting role" in "From Here To Eternity" and won an Oscar. So if Elvis had less screen time maybe that would not have been a bad thing.

I know Streisand approached Elvis personally about being in the film

in my opinion a star is born is the worst film I listed

What do you think of the other roles on the list?

Midnight Cowboy, Sweet Bird of youth, The Defiant ones

KPM
07-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I know Streisand approached Elvis personally about being in the film

in my opinion a star is born is the worst film I listed

What do you think of the other roles on the list?

Midnight Cowboy, Sweet Bird of youth, The Defiant ones
That is your right-and its a very subjective topic. I have never thought it was a bad film, it has had a level of success financially and critically (once again critics opinions are very subjective) I find it more watchable than the first 2 versions-which may have been easily viewed when the came out-but are hard for me to watch today. The acting and dialogue in them is so stiff and dated it just does not translate well today-IMO
As for the 3 you mention all were quality films but I think "The Defiant Ones"
would have been an excellent film for Elvis to be involved in.

Brian
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
That is your right-and its a very subjective topic. I have never thought it was a bad film, it has had a level of success financially and critically (once again critics opinions are very subjective) I find it more watchable than the first 2 versions-which may have been easily viewed when the came out-but are hard for me to watch today. The acting and dialogue in them is so stiff and dated it just does not translate well today-IMO
As for the 3 you mention all were quality films but I think "The Defiant Ones"
would have been an excellent film for Elvis to be involved in.

Hi Ken

good discussion this is turning into.

I think all 3 versions of a Star is born are overrated and all 3 look very dated to me now. My point was I think it could of been a good project for Elvis and Steisand to team up for a film assuming they could get along (I don't think they would get along though) say they played husband and wife in a comedy like Streisand's successful early 70's comedies that would be a better project for them to do than a remake of a remake in my opinion. Barbara Streisand took a lot of criticism from people saying she didn't know anything about rock music and couldn't sing that type of music, was wrong for the role as an up and comer etc. and Elvis had always wanted to do roles where he wouldn't sing or play a singer. Now moving on I think if Elvis wanted to be talking serious as an actor would be to get the role in Walk on the Wild side directed by Eliza Kazan (though I don't like the plot of the book) followed up by a role as a bad guy, shady character in Tennesse Williams screen adaptation of Sweet bird of youth in the early 60's those both could be very gritty dramatic roles for him. Speaking of the late 60's movie offers say if Elvis got the roles in Midnight Cowboy and Butch Cassidy could you see Elvis recording and having hits with the theme songs to those 2 movies ''Everybody's talking'' and raindrops keep falling on my head'' instead of Harry Nillson and B.J. Thomas?
Do you know of any supporting roles Elvis was offered or considered for besides the Rainmaker or Thunder road?