Colour/B&W: Colour

Cast:

Jesse Wade - Elvis Presley
Tracey - Ina Balin
Vince - Victor French
Sara - Barbara Werle
Billy Roy - Solomon Sturges
Marcy - Lynn Kellogg
Gunner - James Sikking (starred in "Hill Street Blues" in later years)

Story:

Elvis rides into a small Mexican town and is met by four gunmen, all members of the gang Elvis used to ride with.
Victor French hates Elvis for having left the gang and want to set an example for the others. He decides to frame Elvis for stealing a valuable gold and bronze victory cannon belonging to the Mexican government and worth 100.000 dollars.

The gang brands Elvis, takes his horse and gun and they leave him for the Mexican Army to find, while they take the cannon to the nearest safe town.
Elvis captures a wild horse and rides after them.

When the sheriff of the town where Elvis' girlfriend Ina Balin lives, gets shot, Elvis becomes the new sheriff. He locks the man (Solomon Sturges) who killed the sheriff in the jail.
After Victor French learns what happened he demands the release of Sturges (his kid brother) or will shoot up the town with the cannon.

The people are frightened and want Elvis to release the killer, but Elvis refuses. When the cannon starts demolishing the town, Elvis takes the boy to the gang.
There is a shoot-out and the cannon accidentally rolls over Sturges, after which French and the gang surrender to Elvis.

Elvis gets the cannon and the gang and heads for Mexico to clear his name and start a new life with Ina Balin.

Behind The Scenes:

The working title for Charro! was: "Come Hell, Come Sundown".

Filming began on July 22, 1968 near Apache Junction, Arizona. Other scenes were shot around the Superstition Mountains.

This was the first movie which features Elvis with a beard, and the first not to include Elvis performing a song, except for over the opening credits.

Songs:

Charro!

Movie Trailer:

YouTube - Charro! (1969) Trailer

YouTube - Charro! (1969) - Saloon Shootout (clip from the movie)

Related Links:

Pictures: www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=80&userid= (http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=80&userid=)

elvis1970nl
09-28-2004, 01:42 AM
This is my favorite movie. I know there are no songs at all, but I personally think this was his best work in the 60's

Jungleroom76
10-06-2004, 07:46 PM
I personally enjoyed this movie!! Before I saw it for the first time, I was a bit skeptical of it because it was a western (which I am not a huge fan of) and because he didn't sing any songs in it (which, considering it's a serious movie, is certainly understandable!).

While not a movie I watch often, when I do watch it, I am always amazed at how good of an actor Elvis was, considering the scripts he had to work with!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

NightRider
10-10-2004, 09:33 AM
I enjoy Charro too....decent enough film.

I recall reading somewhere ( can't remeber where now (n) ) that Elvis was disgusted at the way the script for Charro changed. Some of the scenes were re-written because they weren't happy at the amount of violence.....and Elvis' character in general.......
Elvis wanted to keep it as it was originally....and was most annoyed that it was changed into a 'lighter' western than was intended.

Has anyone else heard this.....i'm going to see if i can find where i read it :lol:

Jungleroom76
10-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I hadn't heard that Night Rider!! :hmm:

I would definitely be interested to read more on that, if you are able to find that information!!

TCB!
Mike

NightRider
10-12-2004, 02:12 AM
I hadn't heard that Night Rider!! :hmm:

I would definitely be interested to read more on that, if you are able to find that information!!

TCB!
Mike

Its some time ago when i read it Mike....haven't been able to find it as yet...but i am working on it :P I know i have read it somewhere :'(

Jungleroom76
10-12-2004, 06:56 PM
THANKS NIGHT RIDER!!! (y)

I hope you find that article....sounds like it would be very interesting to read!

TCB!
Mike

JerryNodak
12-02-2004, 04:28 AM
This could have been a great film IF they would have hired a really good director AND if they hadn't toned down the violence and edited out a mild nude scene to acheive a "G" rating. Still, I enjoy the film because it isn't more of the same old thing.

P.S. Annie
12-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Haven't seen this one yet :blush: It will be out on dvd this January so cant wait to buy this one.

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-20-2005, 04:24 PM
I bought a copy of this from a well known supermarket on-line and was quite frankly dissapointed with the quality. never the less a great film much more gritty than the run of the mill crap Elvis was given to work with.

Matt

Elvisgirl
02-22-2005, 10:03 AM
i love charro!!!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

MysteryTrain
03-15-2005, 06:35 AM
i love charro!!!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
I agree with you. It`s one of the Elvis movies i really enjoy. It`s a different Elvis, more serious. I remember as a kid i always wanted to grow Charro beard. :lmfao:

LeMond
03-17-2005, 01:21 AM
I think it's the best movie he did. I wish he had done more movies like this. Although Change of Habit is pretty good too.

P.S. Annie
03-19-2005, 04:31 AM
I think it's the best movie he did. I wish he had done more movies like this. Although Change of Habit is pretty good too.
Wish I could have seen it, still not out on dvd :cursing:

Steve
03-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Wish I could have seen it, still not out on dvd :cursing:

Same here Annie this is the only Elvis movie I dident see...

I want this on DVD!!!!!!!!!!:'(

LeMond
04-01-2005, 12:31 AM
It is out on dvd actually.
It has been released in the US by Westlake Entertainment Group (or something like that) and in the UK by a company called MIA (Missing In Action).
Although I do not own the UK edition I have been told that it is in very poor quality. The US dvd is slightly better. :mad:

LeMond
04-01-2005, 12:34 AM
By the way, before these dvd's came out I had a videotape of Charro that was released in the US by Warner Home Video and had much better picture and sound quality than the dvd's mentioned in my previous post.
It's a pity that Warner Bros. isn't interested in releasing this movie at the moment. I think it would make a great addition to their other Elvis dvd's. (y)

Steve
04-01-2005, 01:28 PM
the only version I now is a dvd version from Denmark, but the qualitie is sooo poor I dident buy it:'(

P.S. Annie
04-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Yep I know about the crappy DVD so I wait for the good one, whenever it will be released.....

elvis fan 1976
09-28-2005, 09:22 PM
I think Elvis looked very good with a beard. (y)

Sonny
10-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Updated,

Sonny

elvisfinland
04-23-2006, 06:37 AM
This is a good western, and looks real. This would been better with those scenes what has been cut from the print.

10/10 in scale of Elvis movie, and 8/10 of scale of all movies.

Sonny
07-19-2006, 06:36 AM
There has been a lot of speculations about this movie. About what was filmed and what not.

The DVD that was released a while back was of very poor quality. Just now a new release is out. A regular English version, so without any subtitles, but from what I hear in great quality. Far better then the previous release.
To create this DVD 16mm footage was used, but that is not disturbing. On top of this there are some extras on this new DVD, like Elvis giving out autographs, as well as the Ina Balin bathing scene, plus a picture gallery.
It's released in a so called "Hollywood Classics" series.

I haven't seen that release yet, but I figure it will also miss many of the footage that was shown during the initial screening in 1969.
So content wise it will be no surprise I guess, aside from the extras.

But that footage (the prostitutes in the bar, the complete bathing scene, the actual moment where Elvis gets branded by his former gang, with close ups and all) definately exists. Some twentyfive years ago I happened to see that complete movie, believe it or not. With all of those scenes in it, so I know for a fact it all was filmed and used at first.

Sonny

Sonny
07-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Radio spot (unreleased)

Polk-Salad-Annie
09-28-2006, 02:25 AM
I find this movie a very good movie.
Not to much songs in it, just 1.
And i am also a fan of westerns.(y)

elvis fan 1976
08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
I love this movie, I just got the dvd!

rebby
10-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Personally I love Charro, not only did he lok great with a beard and all the western stuff goin on, but it was also quite a cool story line, and its even better now i have it on DVD!!! woop woop! lol :) GO CHARRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooo :)

beckyelvis1
03-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Elvis looked fantastic in this movie

rhythmknights
04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
glad he didn't sing - except for the title, i like it alot, but my copy didn't have the nude scene. why didn't they put it back in? and also, that bracelet he was wearing, was it the same as th one he wore in the 68 Comeback?

ehollier
04-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but William Peterson a/k/a Gil Grisson on CSI looks like Elvis' character in Charro! Gil has that bearded look and those soulful eyes and the resemblence is uncanny. I wonder if William Peterson/Gil is a fan?? :P:P:P

cameron
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I liked this movie very much. This one is what convinced me he really could act. I think he would have done fine, had he made that career move. (y)

Sonny
08-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Updated with movie trailer.

Sonny

Trev1
08-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I wanted to like this movie so much but if im honest I would have to say that
the script is a bit sloppy and the plot doesnt really go anywhere ! sorry!

tony70
08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
this is my favorite Elvis movie

beckelvis
09-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Very good movie,he the beard fantastic,I .LOVE CHARRO

Diane
09-07-2008, 01:38 PM
This movie was a bit of a shock to see Elvis in a serious western sporting a beard but I was captivated by it.

Diane

LianaKaralivanou
09-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Charro is one of my favorite Elvis films. It showed what his acting could have been if he only had the chance. And of course I like Elvis in a beard!;)

beckelvis
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
CHARRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW:notworthy:notworthy:notwort hy

MojoElvis
09-08-2008, 10:22 AM

I recall reading somewhere ( can't remeber where now (n) ) that Elvis was disgusted at the way the script for Charro changed. Some of the scenes were re-written because they weren't happy at the amount of violence.....and Elvis' character in general.......
Elvis wanted to keep it as it was originally....and was most annoyed that it was changed into a 'lighter' western than was intended.

Has anyone else heard this.....i'm going to see if i can find where i read it :lol:

WOW..This is not one my favorite only cause I feel that it drags at times and if what you're saying in the above quote is true, then that would explain it and if Elvis was seen killing some people, in self defence or even better if his character was cold blooded, then this could have been just as big as King Creole in acting status.
One of my all time favorite movies, 3:10 to Yuma, Russel Crow plays a cold blooded killer, but it was only to those who had it coming to them anyway.
Wonder if that was the original for Charro.

Brian
09-08-2008, 11:20 AM

Yes I have heard that, I read that the movie was originally intended for Clint Eastwood and was going to be a very violent action oriented western, something that excited Elvis but when he was set to star in it instead of Eastwood it was changed to fit Elvis image that Hollywood created for him.
A lighthearted milk toast western.

easyrider
12-11-2008, 06:09 AM
I love this movie!

Talvis
01-02-2009, 06:30 AM
This is by far my favored Elvis movie. Great acting. He looked good.
Just a very good movie.

(y)(y)(y)

roustaboutgirl
01-03-2009, 12:36 PM
totally agree with you. He was very thin when he made this movie. But to me it was his best acting. He didn't have to grab a guitar or a girl and burst into song.

WHITETIGERMAN
01-03-2009, 12:47 PM
It was a great movie........one where he did not have to worry about singing.By then he was ready to get out of the movies.Too bad he was not given the chance to act in more demanding roles............maybe we would have seen more movies like Charro and King Creole and Wild In The Country.

easyrider
01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I like CHARRO(y)(y)(y)(y)

beckelvis
01-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I LOVE CHAROO!!!!!! ELVIS TO BE TREMENDOUSLY ATTRACTIVE.:blush:

Sonny
05-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Updated with a clip from the movie.

beckelvis
05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
I think that Elvis to do a good interpretation(y)(y)(y)

Lisarose
05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
This one catches me from the opening shot - literally - the single gunshot then the music - so haunting. The
longest intro ever, IMO! :)

Kajo
03-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Yep, that's old news Night rider. Heard of that a long time ago. I still think the movie is great and that it is his finest role. Really enjoyed the movie and the opening song is also great.

hounddog
06-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Night Rider it's in Peter Guralnick Careless Love: the Unmaking of Elvis Presley about the script being changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charro!

Bullant
12-01-2012, 01:22 AM
i have made a vet like this how do i get it on the site if i take a pic of it...only have ipad...Bullant

Kajo
12-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Night Rider it's in Peter Guralnick Careless Love: the Unmaking of Elvis Presley about the script being changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charro!

That's right hounddog now I remember where I read it first in Guralnick's Careless love the 2nd book of the biography. I have both copies. They are both great even though I prefer Careless love.

jadedragon61
12-21-2012, 08:05 AM
I think Elvis looked very good with a beard. (y)

I agree. Nice pic, thanks.

BTW, I also agree with the general EP fan opinion that Charro! is an under-rated film.