PDA

View Full Version : Graceland Tour DVD - 2008.

presley31
06-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Review Graceland Tour DVD - 2008 written by Elvismatters.

The previous edition of the official Graceland tour DVD was produced in 2000.

Even in a house where nobody lives any more, things can change in eight year: time for a revamped version. We’ve watched this DVD in premiere and must say that it is an absolute must-have.

While the old release came out on one disc with a total running time of 60 min., we now have 2 discs with over 140 min. The quality of the footage is crystal clear and the soundtrack is mixed in the high quality 5.1 Dolby Digital format.

When we visit the music room, we hear a moving instrumental version of ‘How Great Thou Art’ and when the narrator tells about the passing of Elvis’ mother, we hear an emotional female voice humming ‘Amazing Grace’ through the back speakers.

The documentary starts with a technical gimmick: a collage of famous pictures are rendered in 3D so it looks like they are ‘moving’. It’s hard to explain in words, but the effect looks awesome!

Before we enter the mansion, there is some pre-history of Graceland and Elvis’ rise to stardom. The guided tour in the house is combined with footage from important moments in Elvis’ life.

When the front door closes behind us, the camera looks upstairs – the forbidden area for visitors. EPE is well aware that fans are anxious to know more about the second floor.

Eventually, we see a shot from the top of the stairs, ending at a closed door…what follows is a nice 3D animation of the second floor, made from the blue prints. We got a virtual look upstairs in all the rooms and learn about their function.

Each room that is open to the public is narrated in detail. We see different views from angles that you don’t have as a visitor. This gives us some interesting surprises: under the table in the dining room is a buzzer at Elvis seat, so he could call somebody from the kitchen in complete discretion. In one of the kitchen drawers, we get a look of the acts of Lisa-Marie as a child: she carved her name in the wood.

The items that are on the night stand next to Gladys bed are from her purse, at the time she passed away and the lamp above the pool table is broken from behind due to a ‘lost’ billiard bal. Such facts are spread all over the DVD, together with never before seen pictures of various interiors during the years.

After we have visited the mansion, we go back to the foyer to have a quick look at the rooms during Christmas time. We leave the house for a while for a brief overlook of the car museum and the two planes and go back to the trophy room and the racquetball building where we can see the complete second floor for the first time with the dressing room, Jacuzzi and bath room.

Whenever you bring a visit to the Meditation Garden, Elvis’ grave site is always covered with lots of flowers, cards and souvenirs. It’s a strange sight in these shots when you see that the lawn is completely empty and there is only one white rose on each grave.

The documentary ends with an overview of the activities around Graceland and Elvis after 1977 with emotional footage of the Candlelight Vigil.

The second disc contains over 60 min of bonus footage in 4 chapters.

Graceland in the Snow (15:24)

Footage from January 1958 with Graceland under a large coat of snow. This is the known footage of Elvis’ parents walking around in the snow and driving around in the pink Caddy. This time,the footage is complete.

A Fan’s Home Movies of Elvis (19:35)

Some of these shots are included on various DVDs (Elvis during horseback riding, talking with the fans at the gates …), but know collected in its total. The footage was shot by one fan and donated to Graceland. Filmed between 1968 and 1970.

‘Home from The Army’ Press Conference (16:04)

The famous press conference from March 7, 1960 when Elvis returned back from the army.

‘Graceland Archives’ (14:13)

Probably the most interesting item on this disc is this extended tour of the Graceland Archives by Angie Marchese, director of archives. In the past, we had some sneak peeks in this building, but it’s always interesting and fascinating to see the lady with the white gloves opening another box full of surprises.

Once again, this proves that there are still hundreds of documents and pictures in the archives that are never seen by fans. We can see the blue prints for a recording studio that was never build, the plan was cancelled and the racquetball building was build on the location.

Another large box is stuffed with items that the Presley’s took with them when they moved from Tupelo, we see a postcard from Vernon that he wrote to his wife and son when he was in jail. Probably each fan will want to take a look in the files with documents for the preparation of the august 1977 tour…the tour that never was…

The production of this DVD was the last project that Todd Morgan was working on before he passed away. This DVD is dedicated to his memory. With this item, Todd leaves a great legacy to all fans! An absolute must-have!

Format: Region Free

Language: English

Subtitles: English / Spanish / French / German / Nihongo

Discs: 2

Time: 140min

Jungleroom76
06-18-2008, 06:55 PM
WOW!!!! :supriced:

Now THIS sounds like the definitive Graceland tour DVD, and it is wonderful that the folks at EPE have listened to the fans and given us some in-depth information on the upstairs of the mansion! Of course, actually seeing the rooms would be the ultimate, but the whole 3-D virtual tour of the upstairs is probably the next best thing!!!

The archives chapter of disc 2 sounds FABULOUS as well!!! Definitely have to pick this one up ASAP!!! :D

TCB!
Mike

john carpenter
06-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Fantastic..I used to own "Elvis Presleys' Graceland on VHS. Is it the same on the DVD with more added?:notworthy(y):king:

Jungleroom76
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
From the previews I have seen, I believe this is a completely new tour video John...totally different from Elvis Presley's Graceland. :D

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
From the previews I have seen, I believe this is a completely new tour video John...totally different from Elvis Presley's Graceland. :D

TCB!
Mike

I have Elvis Presley's Graceland on VHS I got from the last time I was at Graceland...think its time for an upgrade!!(y)

Jungleroom76
06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I have Elvis Presley's Graceland on VHS I got from the last time I was at Graceland...think its time for an upgrade!!(y)

ABSOLUTELY!!! (y)

I know the previous tour video was available on DVD but once I found out there was a new tour video in the works, I decided to hold off until the new one was released!!! It sounds FANTASTIC and I can't wait to grab a copy!!! :D

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Mike can you order this off of Shopelvis.com ?

MIElvis
06-19-2008, 09:43 PM
So where's Elvis On Tour ?

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
So where's Elvis On Tour ?

Wonder how long we will be asking this question ?

It angers me to think such great footage MGM probably has bured somewhere in some vault in Kansas collecting dust because they are to lazy to put together an Elvis documentary, they think no one will buy it, or Elvis has no fans and thats FARRRRR from the truth. If they take the time and effort it could be a HUGE release just like the Aloha and 68 boxsets, if not better!!

ehollier
06-19-2008, 09:59 PM

It angers me to think such great footage MGM probably has bured somewhere in some vault in Kansas collecting dust because they are to lazy to put together an Elvis documentary, they think no one will buy it, or Elvis has no fans and thats FARRRRR from the truth. If they take the time and effort it could be a HUGE release just like the Aloha and 68 boxsets, if not better!!

I keep thinking IF the re-release it, it will coincide with some milestone - like 35 yrs after his death, 80th birthday, something along those lines. It would give them maxium exposure to market it.

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I keep thinking IF the re-release it, it will coincide with some milestone - like 35 yrs after his death, 80th birthday, something along those lines. It would give them maxium exposure to market it.

8 MORE YEARS OF WAITING !!! :supriced::supriced:

That is no good I'm affraid, just think the original Elvis fans from the 1950's those people aren't getting any younger and I think they should have the chance to see Elvis at the time he was on top form like on EOT.

ehollier
06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
8 MORE YEARS OF WAITING !!! :supriced::supriced:

That is no good I'm affraid, just think the original Elvis fans from the 1950's those people aren't getting any younger and I think they should have the chance to see Elvis at the time he was on top form like on EOT.

I don't disagree with you. I was merely suggesting what would be a potential scenario.

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I don't disagree with you. I was merely suggesting what would be a potential scenario.

I know buddy I was just saying (y)

But the way its looking, your probably right :'(

ehollier
06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I know buddy I was just saying (y)

But the way its looking, your probably right :'(

'buddy'? No. Try Ma'am.

Thanks.

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
'buddy'? No. Try Ma'am.

Thanks.

I apologize please don't take offense to that I didn't mean anything by it, you never know who is behinde those avators.

utmom2008
06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
'buddy'? No. Try Ma'am.

Thanks.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

It wasn't That funny Rossie :oops: :P

ehollier
06-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I apologize please don't take offense to that I didn't mean anything by it, you never know who is behinde those avators.

I know what you mean. I could be Brad Pitt or Cher as far as anyone knows. But no offense taken.

Unchained Melody
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I know what you mean. I could be Brad Pitt or Cher as far as anyone knows. But no offense taken.

Okay thats good (y)

Back on topic, if they ever do give us a deluxe dvd set with all EOT material, I hope we have all the complete shows they filmed. I'm still praying that we will get the April 5th 1972 concert from Buffalo as we know Robert Abel filmed it with his hand held camera and we know there is professional footage as we see during the karate sequence on the movie This Is Elvis so the rest must be out there somewhere.

presley31
06-20-2008, 09:26 AM
anyways back to graceland tour, this is something l really would love to get my hands on. sounds really interesting.

TotallyInsane
06-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Hey Rosie,
Look something else we can buy each other!!! :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Tommy
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Please let me know how this DVD is when one of you purchases it. Thanks (y)

gordon
06-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I have just ordered mine so now I wait with trepidation,
"is it here yet?"
"no!"
"oh! what about now?"
"No!!!!!!"

Jungleroom76
06-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Mike can you order this off of Shopelvis.com ?

Yes sir....right here:

http://www.shopelvis.com/Product.aspx?pc=EPAM1436

Hopefully I'll be able to order my copy here shortly... :D

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Actually, I recently focused one of my "Jungle Room" segments on the as-yet-to-be-released ELVIS ON TOUR. You can see the video here:

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=21339

I'd be interested to hear what you think if you get a chance to listen to it!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

gordon
06-20-2008, 06:18 PM
"Has my DVD arrived yet?"
NO!!!!!!!!!!

MIElvis
06-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Yep I saw Elvis in detroit on that April tour in 1972. Now I'm getting older and sicker I'd like to see it before I croak.

Unchained Melody
06-21-2008, 04:04 AM
Actually, I recently focused one of my "Jungle Room" segments on the as-yet-to-be-released ELVIS ON TOUR. You can see the video here:

I'd be interested to hear what you think if you get a chance to listen to it!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

That was brilliant Mike, I love listening to your video's like this. I agree with all the points you made and agree it was WAY PAST TIME for an upgrade release of Elvis On Tour!!

Great job on this project buddy!!:notworthy

Jungleroom76
06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
That was brilliant Mike, I love listening to your video's like this. I agree with all the points you made and agree it was WAY PAST TIME for an upgrade release of Elvis On Tour!!

Great job on this project buddy!!:notworthy

THANKS PAL!!! (y)

I appreciate the kind words...and yes, it is WAY PAST DUE for EOT to be released on DVD. Although as I said, I am afraid that nothing less than a deluxe edition with the movie AND the outtakes is going to satisfy the fans...especially with how long we've had to wait! Anything less than that, and I am afraid there may be riots in the streets!!! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

gordon
06-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Gordon; "Has it arrived yet?"
Wife; "No!!!"

Unchained Melody
06-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Gordon; "Has it arrived yet?"
Wife; "No!!!"

I know that feeling, gets frustrating after the first day of waiting. :lmfao:

Unchained Melody
06-22-2008, 01:27 AM
THANKS PAL!!! (y)

I appreciate the kind words...and yes, it is WAY PAST DUE for EOT to be released on DVD. Although as I said, I am afraid that nothing less than a deluxe edition with the movie AND the outtakes is going to satisfy the fans...especially with how long we've had to wait! Anything less than that, and I am afraid there may be riots in the streets!!! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

I still can't believe it hasn't even been put on DVD. The original On Tour movie i'm talking about. You're right, I believe if it has nothing new on it, it will be a Major dissapointment in the EP world.

Unchained Melody
06-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Yep I saw Elvis in detroit on that April tour in 1972. Now I'm getting older and sicker I'd like to see it before I croak.

What an amazing experience that must have been. Perhaps you could start a thread and tell us an in depth description of your experiece that night.(y)

April 6th 1972 Detroit !

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7238/s72040602ic1.jpg

Unchained Melody
06-22-2008, 01:30 AM

TCB!
Mike

Mike that look's like a mighty fine dvdset, going to have to see about getting that!! (y)