PDA

View Full Version : Girls, Girls, Girls (1962)

Albert
09-25-2004, 01:25 PM
GIRLS!, GIRLS!, GIRLS!

Theatrical-Release: 1962
Studio: Paramount
Director: Norman Taurog
Producer: Hal Wallis
Film Lenght: 106 mins
Colour/B&W: Colour

Cast:

Ross Carpenter - Elvis Presley
Robin Ganter - Stella Stevens
Laurel Dodge - Laurel Goodwin
Wesley Johnson - Jeremy Slate
Chen Yung - Guy Lee
Kin Yung - Benson Fong
Madame Yung - Beulah Quo
Sam - Robert Strauss
Mai & Tai Ling - Ginny & Elizabeth Tiu

Story:

This very nice movie opens with Elvis working as a charter boat pilot. He loses his job when the boats owner has to sell his boats in order to pay his medical costs.

Elvis decides to buy his late father's boat: "The West Wind", from Jeremy Slate. The only problem is that he hasn't got the money to do so.
To make some money Elvis starts singing at the local nightclub, who's owner is Robert Strauss.
During the day Elvis works for Jeremy Slate, fishing for tuna.

At the nightclub Elvis meets up with Laurel Goodwin. She came to the seaside town to forget a broken romance. She falls in love with Elvis.
She pretends to be a working girl and secretly buys the boat for Elvis.
When Elvis finds that out he gets angry, because he's a proud man and doesn't like it very much that Goodwin purchased the boat.

The movie ends with Elvis battling it out with Slate, after he finds out that Slate forced himself to Goodwin, while she was trying to find Elvis.
They sell the boat and Elvis decides to build his own boat, but only after he's married to Laurel Goodwin.

This movie took Elvis back to the tropical islands of Hawaii and without a doubt is one of the better sixties Elvis musicals.

This movie also has Elvis singing his hit: "Return To Sender".

Behind The Scenes:

Working titles for this movie: "A Girl In Every Port", "Welcome Aboard", "Gumbo Ya-Ya", "Jambalaya".

Elvis arrived in Honolulu on April 7, 1962, to begin filming on "Girls!, Girls!, Girls!".

Locations used for the movie included the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor and the Bumble Bee Tuna canning plant near Waikiki Beach on the island of Oahu.

The movie reached No.31 in the year's rankings.

"I Don't Wanna Be Tied" was previously titled: "Twist Me Loose".
Rumour has it that Elvis also recorded a song called: "Pot Pourri", for this movie. It's never been found though.

Songs:

Girls! Girls! Girls!
I Don't Wanna Be Tied
Where Do You Come From
I Don't Want To
We'll Be Together
A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You
Earth Boy
Return To Sender
Because Of Love
Thanks To The Rolling Sea
Song Of The Shrimp
The Walls Have Ears
We're Coming In Loaded

Related Links:

Trailer:

YouTube - Girls! Girls! Girls! - Original Trailer 1962

Pictures: www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=62&userid= (http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=62&userid=)

JerryNodak
05-14-2005, 07:03 PM
It's Elvis + Girls + songs says the poster. That about sums it up. Decent script. Steady direction by the always dpendable Norman Taurog and a very good soundtrack featuring "Return To Sender". The only thing I don't like about this film are the female costars,
Stella Stevens and Laural Goodwin. ICK!

Memphisgurl
09-23-2005, 10:52 AM
this may sound weird but i heard/read that when he preforms "the walls have ears" you see a certain "part of elvis" i wonder if anyone noticed this?

Kapu
09-24-2005, 04:40 AM
Yes, "Little Elvis" does have a bit part in that particular scene, so to speak. It's impossible to miss and quite amusing. There's more to the story but I don't know if it would be appropriate to discuss it here? ;)

What I wonder about is whether it was Laurel, Elvis and Benson Fong on that boat when the West Wind almost runs over them, or if they were stuntpeople? Although I somehow doubt that incident was in the script! Anyone know the story behind that?

I also wonder if Laurel's spiel about "23 parrots that travel with her wherever she goes" was the scriptwriter's inside joke about Elvis' entourage? :lmfao:

Shame on Jerry for icking at Laurel Goodwin. She's great!

Memphisgurl
09-25-2005, 06:03 PM
i would like to hear the story, if there any website where i can read it?

Kapu
09-26-2005, 03:54 AM
I don't think there is. But since you asked...

The story goes that in those days Elvis didn't like to wear underwear. So, "The Walls Have Ears" being a spirited tango number with rather interesting choreography, his pants kept rubbing against "Little Elvis", who consequently woke and rose up for a better look at his dance partner ("Little Laurel"?).

That, combined with black pants and a light background creates an unintended "special effect" that is unlikely to go unnoticed by anyone watching this movie. Strangely enough, it seems to have gone unnoticed by the censors, to the delight of many a female viewer.

I hear it wasn't an isolated incident, either... the "beach shack" scene in Spinout is supposed to be another one. There's probably more...

Memphisgurl
09-28-2005, 06:09 AM
thanks alot!!! :D :D

Sonny
10-31-2005, 07:01 AM
Updated,

Sonny

Ejm1059
11-22-2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsP3cowJUds

Here's the vid.;) Keep an eye on "Little Elvis"!

Nicole Presley
05-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't think there is. But since you asked...

The story goes that in those days Elvis didn't like to wear underwear. So, "The Walls Have Ears" being a spirited tango number with rather interesting choreography, his pants kept rubbing against "Little Elvis", who consequently woke and rose up for a better look at his dance partner ("Little Laurel"?).

That, combined with black pants and a light background creates an unintended "special effect" that is unlikely to go unnoticed by anyone watching this movie. Strangely enough, it seems to have gone unnoticed by the censors, to the delight of many a female viewer.

I hear it wasn't an isolated incident, either... the "beach shack" scene in Spinout is supposed to be another one. There's probably more...

I?ve seen that movie. That part of the movie is soooo funny!!! :)

marijaep
05-16-2007, 09:41 AM
:lmfao: I've just noticed "the part" lol.
I've seen the movie and it's not that bad...not one of my favorites though:D
Thanks for the information about the movie Albert(y)
And thanks for the links guys :D :lmfao:

Marija

Lisarose
05-22-2007, 10:12 PM
One of my favorite movies, especially liked the songs Mama & We're Coming in Loaded. the storyline was pretty good, but IMO, the music was what did it for me. I even liked the songs that Stella Stevens performed. Too bad they aren't on any soundtrack.:clap:

beckyelvis1
03-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Elvis looked wonderful in this and I liked the songs... and the "little Elvis" part is mighty interesting! lol

Lisarose
06-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I always thought Stella Stevens did her own singing. Wasn't she a singer? Just read this - and it states that vocalist Gilda Maiken did the singing & Ms. Stevens lip-synched.

http://www.elvispresley.com.au/elvis/presley/girls_girls_girls.shtml

beckelvis
09-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Not This One Badly The Movie,to My What More I Like To See Him With This Cap ,is Perfect

LianaKaralivanou
09-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Without doubt a movie with many beautiful songs. But who can forget the scene where Elvis dressed up in an elegant black suit, dances and sings "Return to Sender", which became a major hit for Elvis? I'm also aware that there were some songs that were recorded for the film but they were not released, such as "Plantation Rock", "Mama" and more.

nabelt24
03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
This is one of my favorites! Love the music and Elvis looks incredible in this movie! Great suits and in great shape!

Elvis Girl
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
LOL here the video .
where that scene happen lol
YouTube - The walls have ears
i never notice it til today lol.

Sonny
05-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Updated with trailer...

shelley.m.
05-02-2009, 04:47 PM
One of Elvis' better movies from the early 60's.

beckelvis
05-04-2009, 06:44 AM
One of Elvis' better movies from the early 60's.
(y)(y)(y):notworthy:notworthy