PDA

View Full Version : Jailhouse Rock (1957)

Albert
09-25-2004, 01:18 PM
JAILHOUSE ROCK

Theatrical-Release: 1957
Studio: MGM
Director: Richard Thorpe
Producer: Pandro S. Berman
Film Length: 96 minutes
Colour/B&W: b&w

http://www.tcb-world.com/images/misc/cast.gif

Vince Everett - Elvis Presley
Peggy Van Alden - Judy Tyler
Hunk Houghton - Mickey Shaughnessy
Mr. Shores - Vaughn Taylor
Sherry Wilson - Jennifer Holden
Teddy Talbot - Dean Jones
Laury Jackson - Neyland
Warden - Hugh Sanders

http://www.tcb-world.com/images/misc/story.gif

After accidentally killing a man during a bar-room fight, Elvis is arrested and send to state prison.
His cellmate is Mickey Shaughnessy, who's a former folk singer. He is impressed by Elvis' singing talent and after doing a television show from prison Elvis and Mickey sign a contract to become partners after they're released from jail.

After he gets out of jail Elvis sings in a small bar, It's not a succesful performance but Judy Tyler, who works for a record company is interested in Elvis.
She arranges for him to record a song and after it's been on the radio, it's no surprise Elvis becomes a teen-idol.
Judy and Elvis form their own record company.

When Elvis is about to do a big television show, his old buddy Mickey arrives. He wants to be a partner on the show - considering their contract - but isn't very good at all.

It's not long before Elvis goes to Hollywood. He romances his leading lady and even decides to sell the record company!

He has a serious fight with Mickey, during which Mickey hits Elvis in the throat, resulting in Elvis losing his voice.
But with Judy's love and Mickey's friendship, Elvis recovers and starts singing again.

http://www.tcb-world.com/images/misc/behindscenes.gif

Filming started at the MGM Studios in Culver City on May 13, 1957 and lasted until June 14.

Elvis was the one originating the now legendary "Jailhouse Rock" dance routine.

Elvis' co-star Judy Tyler and her husband George Lafayette were killed in a car crash in Wyoming on July 3, after the movie was completed. Elvis was devastated. Rumour has it that Elvis never watched "Jailhouse Rock" again.

"Jailhouse Rock" reached No.14 in Variety's annual top-grossing movie list.

http://www.tcb-world.com/images/misc/soundtrack.gif

Jailhouse Rock
Treat Me Nice
Young And Beautiful
I Wanna Be Free
Don't Leave Me Now
(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care

Movie Trailer:

YouTube - (HD) Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock ( trailer originale ) Il delinquente del Rock'n'Roll

http://www.tcb-world.com/images/misc/relatedlinks.gif

DVD review
CD release
Pictures: www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=54&userid= (http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=54&userid=)

JerryNodak
05-14-2005, 06:37 PM
See my comments on "Loving You". Same things apply.

Sonny
10-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Another very cool fifties movie.

Elvis played the part of a rebel very well (didn't he always played that in some way or another) but in his early days somehow he's more convincing.

Besides the "Jailhouse Rock" scene, choreographed by Elvis, it has some other classic scenes. Remember this?

Judy Tyler: "how dare you think such cheap tactics would work with me", with Elvis replying: "that ain't tactics honey, it's just the beast in me" after having kissed Judy Tyler. Cool stuff.

This one also has the benefit of some great co-actors: Judy Tyler, Mickey Shaughnessy, and a nice directing job by Richard Thorpe.

Tommy
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
This movie is one of Elvis' best. There was once a colorized version of Jailhouse Rock.

Tommy :)

Sonny
11-06-2005, 03:46 AM
Updated,

Sonny

Indre
01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
This movie is one of Elvis' best. There was once a colorized version of Jailhouse Rock.

Tommy :)

....and I've seen it ;) on TNT Classic Movies channel (y) (y) . I don't know if it exists anymore though...it was like 6 or 7 years ago.

Indre
01-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Judy Tyler: "how dare you think such cheap tactics would work with me", with Elvis replying: "that ain't tactics honey, it's just the beast in me" after having kissed Judy Tyler. Cool stuff.

That scene gave me goosebumps :blush: :blush: :blush: :P

anonymous_ie
01-26-2006, 04:21 AM
Folks - I'm looking for some real rare JR photo's , behind the scenes, publicity etc...i've gone through what the site has but if anyone has anything special i'd appreciate you sending to me - [email protected]
Thanks a lot,
TCB!

ForeverTheKing
04-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Very cool movie!
I wouldn't like to see the coloured version not only because I don't like these kind of things (they did also with "Casablanca" and I hated it) but especially because I think this movie is perfect in b&w!
The scene with Judy Tyler is incredible...his glance so sexy..:blush:!
His role is fantastic...when you watch this movie (especially if you are a girl) you don't know if you'd like to slap him or jump over him.
There are a lot of amazing and funny scenes...the scenes with Jennifer Holden or the scene with Mickey Shaughnessy and the dogs and many others....:lol: :clap:
No doubt this is one of his best and one of my favourites!!!:cool:

franny
04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Here's a video clip of Jailhouse Rock...
click on the picture or link below...

franny

http://i2.zvhost.com/2/b/bm0g634m.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/2464448004266196/elvis_presley_-_jailhouse_rock/)

http://www.zippyvideos.com/2464448004266196/elvis_presley_-_jailhouse_rock/

Dovey
04-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Jailhouse Rock has always been my favorite Elvis Movie and the Video clip is also fantastic.. Love that Elvis!!! Dovey :D

franny
05-25-2006, 11:34 AM
I love this video clip as well, Dovey, but for some reason I'm not crazy about the movie....It just wasn't my thing...

franny

Sammy4Elvis
01-01-2007, 07:22 AM
This is my favourite, what a film,Elvis is so young but does a perfect job, fits him really well this film.Well worth having.x

marijaep
05-25-2007, 04:25 AM
One of my favorite Elvis movies with a great storyline(y) He did a great job with the acting and he looked amazing(as always, lol):D (y)
I've seen the colorized version on TCM (Turner Classical Movies), it's good.
Jailhouse Rock has GREAT soundtrack, I love it;) :clap: I love all of the songs in the movie.
And as for "It's Just The Beast In Me" part, hehe, that takes my breath away! :wub: What a scene!:blush: lol

So sad about Judy Tyler and her husband:'( , she was a good actress.

beckyelvis1
02-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I like this one, but I wish I could see the colorized version. I really like the songs in this movie.

Sonny
08-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Updated with movie trailer.

Sonny

beckelvis
09-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Of All This One Is My Favorite Together With King Creole They Are My Passion

Diane
09-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I liked this movie but I'm not sure it was my favorite. I don't know if I have a favorite. I liked Loving You, King Creole, Blue Hawaii and Roustabout as much.

Nice clip Franny(y)

Diane

LianaKaralivanou
09-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I love Elvis' third movie "Jailhouse Rock"! Elvis danced and gyrated like noone ele before. Good looking and -most importantly- with decent acting talent. Elvis, in 1957 had more charisma than just about anyone else who ever lived. The perfect mix of innocence and rebelliousness!!

shelley.m.
09-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I have both the black&white and colourized versions of Jailhouse Rock.I do prefer the colourized version better.Give me Loving You anytime!

renapap05
12-20-2008, 08:19 AM
"The King at his best"...That's what the poster of this movie says and it's totally right(y)(y)(y)

jeanelvisgirl
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Love this one....great songs, my fave ever Elvis line - the beast in me.....that was superb, the way he looked at her and kissed her....wow...and he looked great in this film too......the Jailhouse Rock sequence is a classic!

kathy parkinson
02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Plus Jean, the way he grabbed her to him before the kiss, lawdy lawdy lawdy.

jeanelvisgirl
02-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Yeah Kathy...like he really meant it....ooohhhhh......

Wendy56
02-15-2009, 04:46 PM
And nice kisses there. :blush: Such a :cool: movie! :clap:

Sonny
05-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Updated with new trailer.

Polk-Salad-Annie
01-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Production: May 13 – June 14, 1957
USA premiere: October 17, 1957
USA national opening: November 8, 1957
Swedish premiere: March 14, 1958
German premiere: April 5, 1958
Norwegian premiere: June 16, 1958
Danish premiere: November 2, 1959
USA rerelease: March 9, 1960

German title: ”Rhythmus Hinter Gittern” (”Rhythm Behind Bars”)
French title: "Le Rock Du Bagne"
Italian title: "Il Delinquente Del Rock 'N Roll"
Danish title: ”Med Knyttede Næver” (”With Clenched Fists”)
Finnish title: "Rock 'n Roll - Suosikki" ("Rock 'N' Roll Favourite")

theincrediblehulk_35
07-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Do you know the French release date of Jailhouse Rock ?

Kajo
03-24-2012, 05:09 AM
Another very cool fifties movie.

Elvis played the part of a rebel very well (didn't he always played that in some way or another) but in his early days somehow he's more convincing.

Besides the "Jailhouse Rock" scene, choreographed by Elvis, it has some other classic scenes. Remember this?

This one also has the benefit of some great co-actors: Judy Tyler, Mickey Shaughnessy, and a nice directing job by Richard Thorpe.

Completely agree with you Sonny. He played Vince very convincing and cool. The songs are great too. Simply a great movie. Nothing more to say.

my boy
04-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Just watched the Blu-ray DVD –– awesome!