PDA

View Full Version : Elvis' favourite music

President Presley
06-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Does anyone know to which artists Elvis listened to?
For instance, I'm very curious what he thought of "Sgt. Pepper's"
or what his idea was about The Doors, Jimi Hendrix and other artists.
Did he listen to Cliff Richard, The Kinks, The Stones etc. etc.

Raised on Rock
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Great thread, I have always been curious to know the titles on Elvis personal record collection. It is common place to say he loved Gospel music, Country, Blues and R&B, but little is known about which specific records and singles were among his favourites, not only into his early days and childhood but through his whole life.

I guess we can get and idea of which current artists he liked around the late 60's and early 70's as he recorded some of their music, people like Joe South, Creedence Clear Water Revival, Tony Joe White, Three Dog NIght, and some Beatles Stuff.

Esposito once said that he wasn´t at all into Beatles psychedelic stuff, but he did liked a lot the ballads and straight rock sides, stuff like Let it Be, Get Back, Lady Madona etc. In a 1969 interview Elvis declared that he believed The Beatles were great and very experimental, but he liked them more in the old days, and then Elvis did one line of "I Saw Her Standing There".

Never heard any comments from Elvis about Hendrix (the once labeled as the Black Elvis), but in '65 in an interview in Hawaii he declared The Rolling Stones as his favourite british band after The Beatles. Also during the '68 comeback special he declared he liked The Byrds and "all the new music" although it is not clear who else he meaned with that.

Its been reported that during the 60's he liked many of the Motown acts, and also Ottis Redding and The Animals.

He was introduced during the 70's to Led Zeppelin by one of his stepbrothers and its been told that he found them: "rather good". It is also been said that he liked James Brown so much that for a while he wanted so bad to made a record with his band.

Tony Trout
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
It was said in "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations Of The Memphis Mafia" that Elvis did not like Hendrix or any of the psychedelic music (Jimi Hendrix & those kinds of artists) at all.

Lisarose
06-06-2008, 08:53 PM
In the '68 Special, he did say he liked the "new groups." I'm pretty sure that I heard Elvis say in an interview that he was introduced to some of the bands you mentioned, by his stepbrothers. He didn't have anything negative to say, but then he avoided any negative comments that he made to the press.

Seems that Elvis liked a lot of different music - except fusion jazz - he stated that he just didn't understand that kind of music,

hounddog
06-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Lavern Baker, Cydle Mc Phatter, The Ink Spots, The Statesmen, Mario Lanza, The Byrds, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Tom Jones

Pelvis
06-07-2008, 02:09 AM
I saw somewhere TOm JOnes and Elton John was in his Album collection...Elton John lol

TotallyInsane
06-07-2008, 06:24 AM
I know Lisa was a big fan of Elton John when she was little!!