PDA

View Full Version : August 1977 Tour #6

Unchained Melody
06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Is there any info on what songs were going to be added to the repitore for that tour that never was ?

I heard rumors he wanted to include One Sided Love Affair and maybe Way Down as it was #1 at the time of his death on the country charts?

dj_ethan
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
This Is The songs Elvis went To sings On The Tour #6 August, 1977

Wabash Cannonball , Hey Jude, Sweet Caroline, One Sided Love Affair, The Twelfth Of Never
Nope For sure "Danny Boy", "The Fool"

Unchained Melody
06-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks for that list DJ!!

You think he would have tried to include some material from his last album. even though it was already over a year old.

Wonder when he was planning on getting back into the studio in '77.

dj_ethan
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Many people Asked In Concert 'For The Heart', "Moody Blue" In June 1977. Really Elvis Don't want to
sings These Songs. Why ? I Don't Know. But In July 1977 He Asked to Gilbert Becaud
The copyright of " Les Bains de Minuit " ( Seasons - Bing Crosby ) For A new Album or For Sing Live ? ...

dj_ethan
06-04-2008, 10:31 AM
And What about The Las Vegas Season In December 1977 With The Famous "Laser Suit" ? I'm sure Elvis planing A New album After Summer 1977 ! Rumours From Gilbert Becaud Himself ...

Unchained Melody
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I didn't think there were any plans for Elvis in Las Vegas 1977 ?

I've heard something about a huge concert he was to do in Seattle.:hmm:

And I can image the stress Felton Jarvis was under trying to get Elvis into the studio.

dj_ethan
06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Rumours...(Las Vegas)

Unchained Melody
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Rumours...(Las Vegas)

Rumors is all it was;)

Jungleroom76
06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I've heard something about a huge concert he was to do in Seattle.:hmm:

Supposedly, The Colonel was in contract negotations for Elvis to perform a 1977/1978 New Year's Eve show in Seattle at the (then newly opened) Kingdome.

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Is there any info on what songs were going to be added to the repitore for that tour that never was ?

I heard rumors he wanted to include One Sided Love Affair and maybe Way Down as it was #1 at the time of his death on the country charts?

I've never heard anything about ONE SIDED LOVE AFFAIR being considered for the tour....but that certainly would have been an interesting choice to say the least. :hmm:

I am sure that Elvis would have given WAY DOWN a try at least...although I suspect that it probably would have gotten the same treatment as MOODY BLUE did in concert...a couple of attempts at it and then didn't try it again. (n)

By 1977, Elvis really didn't seem up to the challenge of adding new material to his shows....which is a real shame! :'(

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
06-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I
By 1977, Elvis really didn't seem up to the challenge of adding new material to his shows....which is a real shame! :'(

TCB!
Mike

I feel the same way Mike. I feel once he skipped the nashville sessions in January '77 that was it...He just wasn't motivated after that I don't believe..and Ginger Alden certainly didn't help matters. I recall reading somewhere that Ginger told Elvis she wasn't going to go on tour with him, and he said but your my only inspiration..I thought that was quiet sad coming from our man.:'(

Dudcowboy_1
06-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I forgot where I read but I know he was going record after August/September tours he was going record "Rainny Night In Georgia." And one other song can't remember what. But I can see him doing Way Down....

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

Unchained Melody
06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Rainy Night In Georgia was suppose to be recorded at the Nashville session in Jan 1977 :hmm:

dj_ethan
06-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Nashville session January 20-24, 1977 Cancelled By Elvis

- That's What You Do To me
- Energy
- Rainy Night In Georgia
- By Day By Day
- Let Me On
- Yes I Do
- Mustang Wine (Rumours)
- Miss Misunderstood (Rumours)

Unchained Melody
06-05-2008, 12:46 AM
I have a CD that has all the tracks that were supposed to be recorded by Elvis during that session and will say many of them are really great tunes!!(y)

Tony Trout
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Wonder when he was planning on getting back into the studio in '77.

He was supposed to go back into the studio in Januar (see below) but due to 'supposed' throat problems (he was actually upset with Ginger is the reason he didn't do the date) the sessions were cancelled.

Nashville session January 20-24, 1977 Cancelled By Elvis

- Energy
- Rainy Night In Georgia
- By Day By Day
- Let Me On
- Yes I Do
- Mustang Wine (Rumours)
- Miss Misunderstood (Rumours)

Where'd you get this list? It's very interesting.

utmom2008
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
He was supposed to go back into the studio in Januar (see below) but due to 'supposed' throat problems (he was actually upset with Ginger is the reason he didn't do the date) the sessions were cancelled.
So....we(the fans) lost out on the session because of Ginger Alden??? :blink::blink::mad::blink::blink:

I was wondering the same thing.:hmm:

The Phoenix
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
i also heard that he was planning on using Thats All Right Mama as his opening number on the tour that never was,,,just like 1970-72

dj_ethan
06-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Elvis Sessions III Joseph A.Tunzi

Getlo
06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
This Is The songs Elvis went To sings On The Tour #6 August, 1977

Wabash Cannonball , Hey Jude, Sweet Caroline, One Sided Love Affair, The Twelfth Of Never
Nope For sure "Danny Boy", "The Fool"

What is your source for this list?

I find all of these selections very unlikely to be added in 1977 ... especially One Sided Love Affair ??!

Tommy
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I sure would have liked to have heard what he would have done with One Sided Love Affair in 77, don't know whether he could have pulled that one off or not, maybe if he was in good spirits he could have done that one.:hmm:

Jungleroom76
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Elvis Sessions III Joseph A.Tunzi

Right Ethan! When Joe Tunzi released his recent book ELVIS SESSIONS III, he included a bonus CD containing the songs on it that Elvis was considering for the January '77 Nashville sessions, as performed by the original artists:

- Energy
- Rainy Night In Georgia
- By Day By Day
- Let Me On
- Yes I Do

As for the other 2 songs (Mustang Wine & Miss Misunderstood), those were strictly rumors and not very accurate ones as far as I know. :hmm:

And yes, though Elvis made it as far as the motel in Nashville before cancelling the session claiming throat problems, the real reason Elvis wouldn't go into the recording studio is because he and Ginger had a big argument before he left Memphis because she wouldn't travel to Nashville with him.

So yes, Rosanne, unfortunately we fans missed out on a potential new album just because Ginger refused to come to Nashville with him!!! I mean certainly Elvis might have come up with another excuse to not record had Ginger accompanied him on the trip, but we'll never know that for sure....as it stands forever in Elvis history, no Ginger = no new recordings!! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

rickb
06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
mustang wine was an accurate rumour.
The song's writer Steve Earle has confirmed that he wrote it for Elvis and submitted it to him and it was slated for recording
too bad it didn';t happen

Jungleroom76
06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Rick!! (y)

I did not know that....very interesting!!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

IM4Elvis
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
In 1978 I met Billy Smith in Philadelphia. We talked about this tour which never was. He told me that Elvis had been rehearsing with Charlie Hodge "One Sided Love Affair," "Way Down," and "A Mess of Blues" to be included on that particular tour.
Several years later Charlie Hodge confirmed that when I met him for the first time. A local radio personality whom I know, who worked with the Elvis show in the later 1970's, confirmed that Elvis was intending to use "That's All Right, Mama" as an opener on occassion.

Hope this helps.

IM

utmom2008
06-05-2008, 08:15 PM
So yes, Rosanne, unfortunately we fans missed out on a potential new album just because Ginger refused to come to Nashville with him!!! I mean certainly Elvis might have come up with another excuse to not record had Ginger accompanied him on the trip, but we'll never know that for sure....as it stands forever in Elvis history, no Ginger = no new recordings!! :angry:

A woman can bring a man down every time!;) At least that's what I try to tell my son....don't get side-tracked until that law degree is in hand.:lmfao::lmfao:
I was the exception of course..I would have done wonders for Elvis. He has NO idea what he missed!!!

Dudcowboy_1
06-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I guess you can say Ginger was very moody? LOL To me its very hard to believe that she was cause of cancelled to go to studio. Gotta remember his relationship just started with her at the time and they just got back from trip in mountains if I remember right.

Love to all,
Tim

cameron
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
In 1978 I met Billy Smith in Philadelphia. We talked about this tour which never was. He told me that Elvis had been rehearsing with Charlie Hodge "One Sided Love Affair," "Way Down," and "A Mess of Blues" to be included on that particular tour.
Several years later Charlie Hodge confirmed that when I met him for the first time. A local radio personality whom I know, who worked with the Elvis show in the later 1970's, confirmed that Elvis was intending to use "That's All Right, Mama" as an opener on occassion.

Hope this helps.

IM
Thanks, this helped a lot. (y)

dj_ethan
06-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Source for " One Sided Love Affair " from Charlie Hodge Himself

CRITTERGITTER
06-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Are we saying that Elvis had turned into such a weenie that he cancelled recording just because Ginger wouldn't go? That's not the ELvis we know. And of course he said she was his only inspiration, he was trying to impress her to get her to do what he wanted.

utmom2008
06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Are we saying that Elvis had turned into such a weenie that he cancelled recording just because Ginger wouldn't go? That's not the ELvis we know.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

jak
06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Elvis cancelled the session for the simple fact he just didnt care anymore.His desire to record any new material had been on the wane for several years.He just didnt put forth any effort anymore.His career was at a true standstill by 77 and Elvis just sat back and was oblivious to it.

jak
06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Source for " One Sided Love Affair " from Charlie Hodge Himself

I think Charlie may have had a faulty memory.I just cant see Elvis pulling out that song in 77.There is just no way that song would make the setlist.The whole notion is absurd.

IM4Elvis
06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
In all due respect, Charlie's comments are hardly faulty. I posted in my comments earlier that Billy Smith confirmed this to me in a face-to-face conversation I had with him in 1978 and was later confirmed by Charlie in a conversation I had with him, and even by another worker of Elvis. When you think about "One Sided Love Affair" it potentially could have been a good concert number. (y)

I will continue to base my conclusion on this song upon the solid foundation of three people who knew and worked with Elvis. ;)

IM

jak
06-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I dont doubt those people made those comments about the song.Charlie also said Elvis had bone cancer.Looking at where Elvis was at in 77 I just cant believe that story.No way no how.I jus tcant see him looking back at his career and picking out that sound for his setlist.I think No Room To Rhumba had as much chance as making the setlist.

utmom2008
06-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Charlie also said Elvis had bone cancer.

Why did Charlie decide to tell that story??:hmm::hmm: OT.....it's great to see you stranger!(y)(y)

Tony Trout
06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Why did Charlie decide to tell that story??:hmm::hmm:

Not to get too far off-topic but....Vernon initially began the 'bone cancer' myth....and Charlie & Dick Grob & Kathy Westmoreland have continued that myth for nearly thirty-one years.

cameron
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
In all due respect, Charlie's comments are hardly faulty. I posted in my comments earlier that Billy Smith confirmed this to me in a face-to-face conversation I had with him in 1978 and was later confirmed by Charlie in a conversation I had with him, and even by another worker of Elvis. When you think about "One Sided Love Affair" it potentially could have been a good concert number. (y)

I will continue to base my conclusion on this song upon the solid foundation of three people who knew and worked with Elvis. ;)

IM
I think I will listen to what Charlie said too. ;)
Thanks!

cameron
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Not to get too far off-topic but....Vernon initially began the 'bone cancer' myth....and Charlie & Dick Grob & Kathy Westmoreland have continued that myth for nearly thirty-one years.
I think you'll find Kathy was corrected here . And, why it was told..
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0501/14/lkl.01.html

jak
06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Why did Charlie decide to tell that story??:hmm::hmm: OT.....it's great to see you stranger!(y)(y)

People believe what they want to believe.Especially when it comes to Elvis.I think many want to believe that story because it makes Elvis more sympathetic in their eyes.Elvis did not have cancer of course.I brought that up because it shows you have to take everything with a grain of salt.Even with somebody like Charlie.I find the notion that Elvis would even consider that song for his lineup totally unbelievable.Charlie probably told Billy that or the other way around.Elvis had turned his back on the older material long before 77.To pick an obscurity like One Sided is absurd.Charlie probably wished Elvis would have done it.IMO Elvis would have balked at the mention of it.

Tony Trout
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM

I saw that. I already stated that Vernon started the 'bone cancer' myth...and it snowballed from there.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
One Sided Love Affair would have been a very obscure choice... Mind you it wasn't above Elvis to pull something obscure out of the hat. I truly like Charlie, if ever there was a person who protected and TCB'ed it was Charlie :)

I suppose set lists aren't above speculation, even from those closest to Elvis ;)

cameron
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I saw that. I already stated that Vernon started the 'bone cancer' myth...and it snowballed from there.
Well, my goodness. I was just agreeing with you .
I just provided a link to an iinterview.
So, they haven't been telling it for 31 years.

Getlo
06-06-2008, 05:41 PM
To pick an obscurity like One Sided is absurd.Charlie probably wished Elvis would have done it.IMO opinion Elvis would have balked at the mention of it.

I agree. Elvis probably wouldn't have even remembered it.

Charlie was a nice man, but he was often full of it.

jak
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree. Elvis probably wouldn't have even remembered it.

Charlie was a nice man, but he was often full of it.

You are correct on both points.No way on this earth Elvis would have chosen to include that song.
Charlie was indeed a very nice man.This doesnt however doesnt validate everything he said.

cameron
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Very interesting that everyone thinks they know what Elvis would think and do--except for someone that pretty much lived with him 24/7.:lmfao:

Getlo
06-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Very interesting that everyone thinks they know what Elvis would think and do--except for someone that pretty much lived with him 24/7.:lmfao:

Hmm. The same someone who said Elvis had bone cancer ...

cameron
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Hmm. The same someone who said Elvis had bone cancer ...
As he was told. I don't see any connection.

jak
06-06-2008, 07:23 PM

If you apply that logic,you must believe everything else told by the MM as well?Including the Stanley's and the West's.Charlie may have been drunk also when he got that idea about that song as he was prone to consume way to much alcohol.Any of the more knowledgable fans know where Elvis was musically during 77.It's a complete joke to think Elvis would perform it live during a concert.It's funny to even talk about it.Have all of you even heard that song?Let's try and avoid going to fantasy land when discussing what Elvis might have done and be more realistic.

cameron
06-06-2008, 07:30 PM
If you apply that logic,you must believe everything else told by the MM as well?Including the Stanley's and the West's.Charlie may have been drunk also when he got that idea about that song as he was prone to consume way to much alcohol.Any of the more knowledgable fans know where Elvis was musically during 77.It's a complete joke to think Elvis would perform it live during a concert.It's funny to even talk about it.Have all of you even heard that song?Let's try and avoid going to fantasy land when discussing what Elvis might have done and be more realistic.
That's quite a fantasy you have IMO. ;)
There's quite a difference in a fan and a friend that knew what he did and what he thought and possibly what he might or not do.
Besides singing along side of him . Very presumptious of any fan, I'd think ;)

cameron
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Have a listen .;)

fWdPMwm7yAE

jak
06-06-2008, 07:44 PM
That's quite a fantasy you have IMO. ;)
There's quite a difference in a fan and a friend that knew what he did and what he thought and possibly what he might or not do.
Besides singing along side of him . Very presumptious of any fan, I'd think ;)

Like I said you must apply that logic all the way around to those around Elvis.I guess everything told about him must be true since those guys actually knew him.That sounds funny coming from you.Unless however you apply that logic only when the info is to your liking,but Im sure that's not the case.One of my wife's best friends had been a close friend of Charlie's since his days at Graceland with Elvis.She even relocated to Pigeon Forge and got a job there at a theatre after Charlie started working down there.They were tight.I can assure you that there is a lot you could learn about good ole Charlie that might surprise you.To say Charlie was prone to fabricate is being kind.

cameron
06-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Like I said you must apply that logic all the way around to those around Elvis.I guess everything told about him must be true since those guys actually knew him.That sounds funny coming from you.Unless however you apply that logic only when the info is to your liking,but Im sure that's not the case.One of my wife's best friends had been a close friend of Charlie's since his days at Graceland with Elvis.She even relocated to Pigeon Forge and got a job there at a theatre after Charlie started working down there.They were tight.I can assure you that there is a lot you could learn about good ole Charlie that might surprise you.To say Charlie was prone to fabricate is being kind.

Nothing surprises me about anyone. I've seen if things don't fit someones
opinions, then that particular one gets squashed.
Think what you like.Nothing to do with this topic.

jak
06-06-2008, 07:55 PM
"Besides singing along side of him"

Dont forget he had to hold the mike in front of Elvis' mouth for a couple of tunes .He also had to hit the high notes for Elvis many times when Elvis was unable to function properley on stage.Thank god he was there to substitute for Elvis when needed.I believe in his mind he was as important as Elvis on that stage.All you had to do was ask him.

cameron
06-06-2008, 08:00 PM
"Besides singing along side of him"

Dont forget he had to hold the mike in front of Elvis' mouth for a couple of tunes .He also had to hit the high notes for Elvis many times when Elvis was unable to function properley on stage.Thank god he was there to substitute for Elvis when needed.I believe in his mind he was as important as Elvis on that stage.All you had to do was ask him.

Whatever you think, Jak. Whatever you think.;)
If you can't win in a discussion, put everyone down.
Especially Elvis.
Maybe it would be better to stay on topic. And NOT personal!!

jak
06-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Whatever you think, Jak. Whatever you think.;)
If you can't win in a discussion, put everyone down.
Especially Elvis.
Maybe it would be better to stay on topic. And NOT personal!!

Charlie's credibilty does relate to what was being discussed.Where did I put Elvis down.Charlie is the guy who said he carried Elvis on stage not me.Im sure you knew that already.I've already won the discussion so what's my prize?Come to think of it,have I ever lost one?

cameron
06-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Charlie's credibilty does relate to what was being discussed.Where did I put Elvis down.Charlie is the guy who said he carried Elvis on stage not me.Im sure you knew that already.I've already won the discussion so what's my prize?Come to think of it,have I ever lost one?

I'm going to leave this topic as I'm aware of the rules.
Perhaps you're not. Please read them!

Unchained Melody
06-06-2008, 08:20 PM

my your one busy person already in it with another. why cant we just accept each others opinions. I mean seriously what would Elvis think !(n)

cameron
06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
my your one busy person already in it with another. why cant we just accept each others opinions. I mean seriously what would Elvis think !(n)

I guess you didn't read the rules either .;)

jak
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM

I have been away for some time.I might be a little rusty on the rules.However I admit I have a big mouth and tend to speak my mind and then see how the dust settles.I apoligize if I offended your sensibilities.I can only hope that a few here have missed my candor.

jak
06-06-2008, 08:32 PM

Hey
I think youre right.I looked back and she was the one who made a snide personal comment about me first out of the clear blue.What a way to welcome me back.I am shocked at this.To think I just apoligized in my previous post.I feel like such a fool now.

Unchained Melody
06-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey
I think youre right.I looked back and she was the one who made a snide personal comment about me first out of the clear blue.What a way to welcome me back.I am shocked at this.To think I just apoligized in my previous post.I feel like such a fool now.

well i am certainly glad to see you back buddy.
Like reading your post..very outspoken, but respectful.(y)

rickb
06-06-2008, 09:23 PM
One Sided Love Affair would have been an odd choice - but i bet no-one had expected I Really Don't Want to Know to emerge in May 1977
Rick

jak
06-06-2008, 09:35 PM
One Sided Love Affair would have been an odd choice - but i bet no-one had expected I Really Don't Want to Know to emerge in May 1977
Rick

I beg to differ.Elvis was a Eddy Arnold fan and he truly liked that song.Dont forget he chose to record it on his last great album while at the peak of his powers.That song was a perfect fit for presley.It flowed effortlessy out of him.The only surprise is that he didnt do it more often.Somber songs like that somewhat personifies where Elvis was at in 77.The thought of Elvis launching into the hicuppy One Sided Love Affair in 77 would have been something to see.

TotallyInsane
06-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I was surprised in December 1976 at the last show when someone yelled out Such A Night and he sang a little of that...pretty good memory I thought!!!

utmom2008
06-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I can only hope that a few here have missed my candor.

I think I already told you several posts back, but here I go again......it's good to see you again!!!(y)(y)(y)

rickb
06-07-2008, 03:10 AM
The point i was trying to make about I Really Don't... was that it was something he recorded six years earlier and came out of the blue for concerts at a time when he wasn't doing much new material.
I agree though that it suited his 77 style better than One Side Love Affair.

TotallyInsane
06-07-2008, 05:48 AM
And, also in 76 he brought out Love Letters - would have ever thunk it????? I was surprised to see it brought to the stage!!!

jak
06-07-2008, 05:49 AM
The point i was trying to make about I Really Don't... was that it was something he recorded six years earlier and came out of the blue for concerts at a time when he wasn't doing much new material.

I see youre point.It was refreshing to see Elvis catch a little spark and include that song.I think it shows how little effort it would have taken to have really energized his shows somewhat if he had wanted too.

jak
06-07-2008, 05:50 AM
I think I already told you several posts back, but here I go again......it's good to see you again!!!(y)(y)(y)

Thank you.It's good to be here.

TotallyInsane
06-07-2008, 05:51 AM
Thank you.It's good to be here.

Where have you been?

jak
06-07-2008, 05:52 AM
I was surprised in December 1976 at the last show when someone yelled out Such A Night and he sang a little of that...pretty good memory I thought!!!

It's to bad he didnt rehearse and include that song.It worked well live.One of the great mysteries to me is why Elvis ignored his huge catalogue of classics he had at his fingertips.

TotallyInsane
06-07-2008, 05:55 AM
It's to bad he didnt rehearse and include that song.It worked well live.One of the great mysteries to me is why Elvis ignored his huge catalogue of classics he had at his fingertips.

Maybe he thought they wouldn't go over well since they had been around for so long? I don't know but there are many that I would have loved to have seen live!!

jak
06-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Maybe he thought they wouldn't go over well since they had been around for so long? I don't know but there are many that I would have loved to have seen live!!

I dont think that was the reason.I think it had more to do with Elvis' own personal taste and how he wanted to be perceived.I think he had a desire to showcase himself as a truly great vocalist.I dont think he believed his earlier material was up to the task.I dont think he actually knew how important his earlier work was.I tend to think he thought he had matured and the earlier stuff didnt reflect that so he avoided it.

TotallyInsane
06-07-2008, 06:16 AM
I dont think that was the reason.I think it had more to do with Elvis' own personal taste and how he wanted to be perceived.I think he had a desire to showcase himself as a truly great vocalist.I dont think he believed his earlier material was up to the task.I dont think he actually knew how important his earlier work was.I tend to think he thought he had matured and the earlier stuff didnt reflect that so he avoided it.

Could be - that makes a lot of sense.

elvisville
06-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Can't see why One Sided may not have been a possibility, i'ts in the same mould as Trying To Gret To You and Lawdy Miss Clawdy and it wouldnt have been a difficult song to perform or arrange.

Tony Trout
06-07-2008, 06:40 AM

Not to be a nit-picker but he actually recorded it in June, 1970...not 1971 which would be the six years you mentioned.

(you can smack me now if you wish.....:blush:)

I just gotta say....I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR, GAIL!!

Bingo, Jak! I agree.

jak
06-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Can't see why One Sided may not have been a possibility, i'ts in the same mould as Trying To Gret To You and Lawdy Miss Clawdy and it wouldnt have been a difficult song to perform or arrange.

Any song was possible.Some just were not likely.The two you mentioned were classics that Elvis actually enjoyed performing.There is not one snippet of audio of Elvis ever even playing around with One Sided.For Elvis to have added any new songs he would have had to rehearsed.Im not so sure that was even possible in 77.Elvis gave that up long before 77.One of the reasons he didnt toss knew stuff in his shows was he didnt want to rehearse.Hence the same show basically night after night.

TotallyInsane
06-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Not to be a nit-picker but he actually recorded it in June, 1970...not 1971 which would be the six years you mentioned.

(you can smack me now if you wish.....:blush:)

I just gotta say....I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR, GAIL!!

Bingo, Jak! I agree.

You talking about my Lisa avatar???? I took that picture last year at the concert. Rosanne taught me how to do avatars last night - I must say it was rather fun!!!

Miss Clawdy
06-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Your candor is simply freshening, yes I have missed it :D.

I think for Elvis it would have been good to sing One Sided, because
he really would have had to work on performing this song. If you listen
to it, Elvis sings it with so much energy and freshness, slightly hard to
imagine how it would have sounded and appeared in 1977. But maybe
this goes for a lot of his earlier material.

elvisville
06-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Any song was possible.Some just were not likely.The two you mentioned were classics that Elvis actually enjoyed performing.There is not one snippet of audio of Elvis ever even playing around with One Sided.For Elvis to have added any new songs he would have had to rehearsed.Im not so sure that was even possible in 77.Elvis gave that up long before 77.One of the reasons he didnt toss knew stuff in his shows was he didnt want to rehearse.Hence the same show basically night after night.
i agree with you to a point, but he did have a bash at Return To Sender, Crying In The Chapel and probably a few others without having rehearsed them

Jungleroom76
06-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I was the exception of course..I would have done wonders for Elvis. He has NO idea what he missed!!!

Hmmmm....a whole lot of T-R-O-U-B-L-E??? :P ;)

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Hope this helps.

IM

Actually now that you mention it IM, I do believe I remember hearing that Elvis was considering A MESS OF BLUES also! :hmm:

That is very interesting information IM....thanks for sharing it!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-07-2008, 02:22 PM

GOOD POINT TONY!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-07-2008, 02:28 PM

True, Kathy was corrected....by Marty Lacker of all people!!! And I have to say that over the years, Marty's versions of stories haven't all exactly been very accurate either... :hmm:

Kathy remains steadfast that Elvis himself told her he had bone cancer. Now whether that is true or not, we'll probably never know. But just because Marty Lacker tells Kathy that it's not true...well while I don't believe Elvis had it, I'm certainly not going to say he definitely didn't have it just because Marty said so!!

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-07-2008, 02:31 PM
One Sided Love Affair would have been a very obscure choice... Mind you it wasn't above Elvis to pull something obscure out of the hat. I truly like Charlie, if ever there was a person who protected and TCB'ed it was Charlie :)

I suppose set lists aren't above speculation, even from those closest to Elvis ;)

AGREED J.J.!!! (y)

While I do believe that Charlie sometimes gave himself a little too much credit, I do know that Elvis' stage show ran much smoother because Charlie handled a lot of it! And I agree with you that Charlie probably did more TCB'ing than most of the guys around Elvis ever did!!!

TCB!
Mike

Getlo
06-07-2008, 06:49 PM

I certainly have, anyway.

Welcome back!

Getlo
06-07-2008, 06:53 PM
If you apply that logic,you must believe everything else told by the MM as well?

Excellent point.

rickb
06-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Mess of the Blues would have been a great choice

utmom2008
06-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Hmmmm....a whole lot of T-R-O-U-B-L-E??? :P ;)

TCB!
Mike

Yes, I would have given him lots of T-R-O-U-B-L-E. Especially after he and I were A-L-O-N-E.:lmfao::lmfao:

Jungleroom76
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes, I would have given him lots of T-R-O-U-B-L-E. Especially after he and I were A-L-O-N-E.:lmfao::lmfao:

I have NO DOUBT Rosanne!!! :lol:

TCB!
Mike

rmk101
06-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I think Charlie may have had a faulty memory.I just cant see Elvis pulling out that song in 77.There is just no way that song would make the setlist.The whole notion is absurd.

That might seem absurd, but Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel was getting old, at that could have taken place.

Jungleroom76
06-09-2008, 04:10 PM
That might seem absurd, but Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel was getting old, at that could have taken place.

Remember though....Elvis tried changing his set list a couple of different times and was met with less than an enthusiastic audience because of it. :hmm:

My guess is, Elvis knew why the fans were there....they wanted to hear him sing HOUND DOG, TEDDY BEAR/DON'T BE CRUEL, etc. even if it was the millionth time he had performed it! Elvis loved his fans and wanted to please them, and if it meant singing those songs each and every night, he was going to do it for them! Now that is not to say he couldn't have experimented with TEDDY BEAR/DON'T BE CRUEL a little, like he did with HOUND DOG back in the early 70's when he slowed it down and gave it a bluesier feel. But I doubt he could have ever gotten rid of them completely from his song lineup!

TCB!
Mike

littlesister3
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I agree! Mess of Blues would have been great!
I don't see One- Sided Love Affair being to far out there, didn't he bring back My Baby Left Me a couple times in '74? Why not bring back One-Sided Love Affair? I think it could have been an interesting change to the set list.

jak
06-10-2008, 03:28 AM
When playing the what if game with Elvis concert setlist you cannot think like a fan if you want to be realistic.Most comments here are coming from the perspective of a fan.I kinda like Bossa Nova Baby,but I seriously doubt Mr Presley was going to include it either.All one has to do is study where he was musically to understand that One Sided is so far out in left field for inclusion.Im guessing not a single member in his band could have played it.Was Elvis scheduled to rehearse?Didnt he die just before embarking on the tour?

Unchained Melody
06-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Like Jak and othes said, I seriously doubt Elvis was going to put the song in his live repitore, he probably didn't even remember the lyrics to this song in 1977.

Unchained Melody
06-10-2008, 03:34 AM
If you apply that logic,you must believe everything else told by the MM as well?

You raise a very good point here though.

If your going to have the mindset, then it should apply all the way around. I mean Red and Sonny were with Elvis about as much as Charlie was but yet we always deny the stories they tell. Is it because we don't want to know the truth, so we throw the they betrayed Elvis card. It goes both ways.