PDA

View Full Version : Best Movie Period

ehollier
05-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Of these 3, which is your favorite Elvis movie period and why???

MojoElvis
05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
In my opinion, King Creole really stands out as a almost flawless movie. Not only that, he was so focused on his acting at that point, he never should have went into the ARMY.
I still believe he was an awesome actor. For someone who never took acting lessons.
He created a great movie image. I sometimes think they should have had him like, James Bond. Just keep his name the same with a series of different situation films.

torpor97
05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I feel the same way Mojo.

Awickedreigndrop
05-15-2008, 09:50 PM
I would have to say the early 50's. I think his first few movies had WAY better story lines.

SeeSeeRider777
05-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Early 50's. Those roles were not silly at all. Charro- the only good movie from the 60's

utmom2008
05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
I know that the story lines and the acting were much better in the 50's, BUT.....he looked so dang gorgeous in the late 60's to 70. The Trouble With Girls has to be one of the worst, if not THE worst movie ever made, BUT....have you ever seen anything quite that handsome??:supriced::supriced::king:

Awickedreigndrop
05-16-2008, 01:43 AM
I know that the story lines and the acting were much better in the 50's, BUT.....he looked so dang gorgeous in the late 60's to 70. The Trouble With Girls has to be one of the worst, if not THE worst movie ever made, BUT....have you ever seen anything quite that handsome??:supriced::supriced::king:

He did look gorgeous in "The Trouble with Girls"! It's an alright movie. My friend didn't like it because she didn't think that Elvis was in it very much. Her quote, "How can you have an Elvis movie without Elvis?"

Elton
05-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Voted for the 50's era..it was just great to see Elvis on a twenty foot screen doing songs like Jailhouse rock,Trouble, Teddy bear and the likes!!
As for as the acting goes he seemed a lot more at ease in the early films and not walking thru them as much...having said that..Blue Hawaii is always a favorte 'round here

FB-JC-474
05-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Early 50's. Those roles were not silly at all. Charro- the only good movie from the 60's
I almost agree with that, but I think, "Wild in the Country" and "Flaming Star" are also good movies.

utmom2008
05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
He did look gorgeous in "The Trouble with Girls"! It's an alright movie. My friend didn't like it because she didn't think that Elvis was in it very much. Her quote, "How can you have an Elvis movie without Elvis?"

I think I tend to agree with your friend.:P He certainly was not in it near enough. I remember seeing this at the theater.....OMG, he was so pretty up on that big screen.:lol::king::king::notworthy

ForeverTheKing
05-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I voted Late '50 (y)

I like this period because he was at the beginning of his movie career and you can see his best performances at hollywood ;)

I liked other periods too but maybe his hopes and wishes to be a real actor were changed and it wasn't the cinema he wanted for himself :P

roach
05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
i love elvis movies!!! i got the ultimate film collection!!!

franny
05-16-2008, 03:54 PM
I think Elvis' movies in the 50's were probably his best ones', but I also really liked some of his early 60's movies, Blue Hawaii, G.I. Blues to name a few...(y)

franny

Albert
05-16-2008, 05:45 PM
50s may look like a great movie period with Love Me Tender, King Creole, Loving You and Jailhouse Rock.

But chosing that era, you'd miss these great ones from the early 60s:
* Flaming Star
* Wild In The Country
* GI Blues
* Kid Galahad
* Blue Hawaii

FB-JC-474
05-16-2008, 07:42 PM
@Albert

you mentioned GI Blues, which is not a bad movie in fact.
But what I don't like about it, is that Elvis only made the shots in the studio.

He could have done them right here in Germany ;)

But nevertheless I'll be going on a "GI Blues"Tour in August, even since I live around the GI Blues Area....

And to be completely "off topic":
The fence of Elvisī former german home has been painted in an awful kind of brown.... (I won't go any further in my description of the exact color :blush: )

IM4Elvis
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Without doubt those first 4 movies were something special. He was just as good as Marlon Brando or James Dean with his role in King Creole. He is also very convincing in Jailhouse Rock and Loving You.

IM

SeeSeeRider777
05-16-2008, 10:28 PM
See the problem is that he did so many bad movies it overshadows his good ones and people forget them.

MojoElvis
05-16-2008, 10:54 PM
I recently read that Elvis requested his first movie roles be written around his personality until he developed stronger acting skills. but he did not like himself singing in them at all.
He was even quoted saying to one of his ex-girlfriends in the 50's ,"I hate when they have actors pop into a song out of no where". This was while watching, "The King And I".

rickb
05-17-2008, 05:29 AM
late 50s, quite easily.
There were a few half-decent early 60s and late 60s but mid-60s was mostly a disaster

midnight
05-17-2008, 05:57 AM
I do agree the early movies had great stories to them. It shows just how good of an actor Elvis really was. But being a lady I just love the later movies... He looked sooo good! I don`t even know what the movie is about because I am so taken in by that beautiful creature on the screen. Thats the sad part, we were so happy to see Elvis, that it did`t matter what the plot of the movie was and he didn`t get the serious movie roles he so deserved,

marijaep
05-17-2008, 06:56 AM
I voted Late '50 (y)

I like this period because he was at the beginning of his movie career and you can see his best performances at hollywood ;)

I liked other periods too but maybe his hopes and wishes to be a real actor were changed and it wasn't the cinema he wanted for himself :P

I agree (y) I voted for the 50s too :D

P.S: Cool signature Ale!! :lol:

Cliff
05-17-2008, 04:14 PM
50s may look like a great movie period with Love Me Tender, King Creole, Loving You and Jailhouse Rock.

But chosing that era, you'd miss these great ones from the early 60s:
* Flaming Star
* Wild In The Country
* GI Blues
* Kid Galahad
* Blue Hawaii

Sorry, I have to dissagree in some ways.I wouldn't call them great movies,more entertaining. If I had to pick a GREAT one it would be "Follow That Dream",that court room seen still blows me away,almost Oscar material.
I guess I'd follow that with "Kid Galahad"

ehollier
05-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Sorry, I have to dissagree in some ways.I wouldn't call them great movies,more entertaining. If I had to pick a GREAT one it would be "Follow That Dream",that court room seen still blows me away,almost Oscar material.
I guess I'd follow that with "Kid Galahad"

Although I do not think that the early 60's is as good as the late 50's, Follow that Dream was an awesome move!!!!!!! This is my favorite!!! It's the most poignant, best storyline, most touching, and endearing movie that he made in all 31 movies!!! (y)(y)(y)

Pelvis
05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't like any of his movies besides The tours

I loved his movies tho when i was just a young kid,good kids movies they are lol
Even Elvis didnt take his own Movies serious.

john carpenter
05-19-2008, 12:09 PM
King Creole is my 50's favorite Elvis film. He showed the world he could act.

SheriLyn
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I haven't seen every movie all the way thru that Elvis was in, but I really like Blue Hawaii, Girl Happy and It Happened at the Worlds Fair. He looked fabulous in Blue Hawaii!!!!!!!!(y)

The best movie in my opinion ever made about Elvis was "This is Elvis". I ordered a few copies online and they show the upstairs of Graceland including his bedroom.

wildflower
10-05-2008, 10:39 AM
In my opinion King Creole is probably Elvis best movie. I think he was a great actor and it's a shame that he never really got the chance to prove himself in a really really great movie. But his acting in the early films is top notch... King Creole and Wild in the Country show his true talent, I think.

wildflower

Unchained Melody
10-05-2008, 03:48 PM
No doubt the 50's had the best.

But the following were good to from the 60's.

Blue Hawaii
Viva Las Vegas
Follow That Dream
Wild In The Country
Flaming Star

Diane
10-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I voted for the late 50's. After that, I couldn't get interested in the non-plots, I just collected all of them because it was Elvis and I always enjoyed seeing him whatever he happened to be playing in. His movie era is the least interesting to me, second is in the army. I love Elvis best in his stage performances and rehearsals.

Diane

Unchained Melody
10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I voted for the late 50's. After that, I couldn't get interested in the non-plots, I just collected all of them because it was Elvis and I always enjoyed seeing him whatever he happened to be playing in. His movie era is the least interesting to me, second is in the army. I love Elvis best in his stage performances and rehearsals.

Diane

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it aswell Diane. (y)

KPM
10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I voted for the early Elvis flicks, but I do like "The Trouble with Girls" I thought it was a nice period piece, with great character actors and a somewhat different formula than usual Elvis films.
It had adultery, murder, a glance at early unionism, humor and history of what entertainment was like before TV took over. The songs were worked into the film fairly well and Elvis did look great.
Its one of the 2 films my mother likes by Elvis-believe it or not she does not like any of his films except "Change of Habit" and "The Trouble with Girls"

Diane
10-05-2008, 05:54 PM
The Trouble With Girls is one I was able to enjoy...a little but mainly because of his gospel songs. I still think he would have given Marjo Gortner a run for his money if he had decided to become an evangelist.:)

Diane

shelley.m.
10-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Since I enjoy early Elvis,I would go for the late 50's movies.I don't care for "Love Me Tender" but I do enjoy "Loving You" "Jailhouse Rock" and "King Creole."

JerryNodak
10-06-2008, 05:43 AM
I voted for the early '60s. But I like several movies in the mid to late '60s as well. Kissin' Cousins, Roustabout, Girl Happy and Spinout come to mind. His '50s movies are my least favorite. I can NOT sit through Love Me Tender. It's lousy B western that no one would remember if they hadn't shoe-horned "the pelvis" into it.

LianaKaralivanou
10-06-2008, 06:44 AM
I voted for early 60s because I have more fun while watching the movies from this era.

Julie
10-06-2008, 07:18 AM
His early movies were the best not only for scripts but his natural acting ability who knows with the right direction where he could have gone. In King Creole he reminded me a lot of James Dean.