PDA

View Full Version : Elvis' Record Sale

hounddog
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one_billion_record_sales.shtml

found this interesting

Broussey
04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Wow .... It would be so hard to know also now because ppl can get it off the internet without buying them

Lisarose
05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Good read, thank you. Can someone please give me the run-down on the ALLC remix release? Did it or did it not hit #1 in the US? Did the cd ELV1S break any records in the US or anywhere?

KPM
05-02-2008, 12:28 PM
ALLC was Number one on the Billboard sales chart, it relies on sales figures alone, [B]but unfortunately ALLC was not on top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart which also takes into account radio airplay. As ALLC did not get that much airplay in the states it failed to hit the top spot on the Hot 100 chart despite outselling everything else out there. It has also not been certified as a gold single in the US, singles just no longer sell that many any more.

rhythmknights
05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
ALLC was Number one on the Billboard sales chart, it relies on sales figures alone, [B]but unfortunately ALLC was not on top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart which also takes into account radio airplay. As ALLC did not get that much airplay in the states it failed to hit the top spot on the Hot 100 chart despite outselling everything else out there. It has also not been certified as a gold single in the US, singles just no longer sell that many any more.

soooo...if it doesn't get airplay it won't sell, and even tho it was #1 on Billboard sales, it won't get a gold?

thanks for tryin to explain it to us, it's finals week & my brain is mush!:blush:

lisarose, i think the cd hit it really big in the UK, anyone?

Lisarose
05-03-2008, 07:31 AM

Thank you for trying to clarify for me. I still don't get it, but it makes a little more sense.

If all these numbers are so important to record people, why didn't RCA, or whoever, keep better accounting, I wonder

KPM
05-03-2008, 05:22 PM
soooo...if it doesn't get airplay it won't sell, and even tho it was #1 on Billboard sales, it won't get a gold?

thanks for tryin to explain it to us, it's finals week & my brain is mush!:blush:

lisarose, i think the cd hit it really big in the UK, anyone?
Yes thats pretty much it. It won't get a gold because it did not sell the RIAA criteria to get gold in the US. (Even though it sold the most singles for a few weeks in the US) Other countries have different criteria for the gold, platinum awards than the US.
I'm not sure if many singles get gold any more-most people just by the CD album its on. Back in the 50 (and into the late 80's)you made an album to sell hit singles, now they make singles to sell hit albums-exactly the opposite of Elvis's era.
Traditionally, an American RIAA-certified gold record was a single or album that sold 500,000 units (records, tapes, and/or CDs). A platinum record was one that sold 1,000,000 units. However, the RIAA has changed these terms several times over the last five decades, so the criteria for certification depends on different factors, particularly in recent years.
Its just a different set of rules than in Elvis's time.

Albert
05-04-2008, 03:48 AM
The difference between the records sales of Elvis and for example the Beatles or Michael Jackson, is that it's easier to count the sales of the 10+ albums that BEatles or Jackson have released. Elvis has not only record tens of albums, but already during his lifetime the compilations would be released. Many of those compilation outsold the 'normal' studioalbums. Sales of the Golden Records vol.1-5 are easier to find. But all those hundreds of lowbudget albums all over the world, pressed and released by companies other than RCA.... who can keep track of those sales?

All those movie compilations, love songs, greatest hits... the list is endless. Just look at the christmas cd/lp releases: every year you will find different Elvis christmas compilations at various stores in your town. Imagine how many are released (and sold) every year over the world?

This mess of sales of compilations is from the past 50 years. If RCA/BMG/Sony can't even come up with a list of their own sales, how can they come up with the Elvis sales on the (for example) Camden/Pickwick labels?

When you're not an Elvisfan, you can still choose from lots of $5 Elvis CD's that will suit your taste. That will be harder for Michael Jackson or The Beatles. Not only is their music 'more the same' (Elvis recorded blues, gospel, country, evergreens, rock, eastern (Harum Scarum), tropical, etc), but also they have very little releases in the budgetseries, which makes a sale to a non-fan harder.

Over more than 50 years, it would be more than normal to think that 1 on every 5 people on this world would have one Elvis cd (which lead to more than 1 billion in sales)?

The Welz
05-04-2008, 04:23 AM
Yep, I guess that is the major problem. Michael Jackson or The Beatles released just a few albums, but Elvis released more than sixty during his lifetime. And that's not counting the various compilations that flooded the market during Elvis' lifetime (not counting the ones that came afterwards).

There is a similar problem with the sales of Frank Sinatra. There were no scanners back than and nothing was counted correctly. So it's always an estimation who had sold how much records.

Somewhere I have heard that the figure of 1.8 billon units worldwide is a proper estimation. Frank Sinatra and The Beatles are supposed to have sold more than a billion records, too.

But even if I were the only person who buys Elvis records he would still be THE ARTIST OF THE CENTURY for me.

KPM
05-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Here is a well written article from a while back explaining how Elvis has sold at least a billion singles and albums worldwide. The author also says that Elvis's 30#1s has now sold 16 million worldwide.
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one_billion_record_sales.shtml
Its a very detailed lengthy article but its very imformative.

KPM
05-04-2008, 01:49 PM
The difference between the records sales of Elvis and for example the Beatles or Michael Jackson, is that it's easier to count the sales of the 10+ albums that BEatles or Jackson have released. Elvis has not only record tens of albums, but already during his lifetime the compilations would be released. Many of those compilation outsold the 'normal' studioalbums. Sales of the Golden Records vol.1-5 are easier to find. But all those hundreds of lowbudget albums all over the world, pressed and released by companies other than RCA.... who can keep track of those sales?

All those movie compilations, love songs, greatest hits... the list is endless. Just look at the christmas cd/lp releases: every year you will find different Elvis christmas compilations at various stores in your town. Imagine how many are released (and sold) every year over the world?

This mess of sales of compilations is from the past 50 years. If RCA/BMG/Sony can't even come up with a list of their own sales, how can they come up with the Elvis sales on the (for example) Camden/Pickwick labels?

When you're not an Elvisfan, you can still choose from lots of $5 Elvis CD's that will suit your taste. That will be harder for Michael Jackson or The Beatles. Not only is their music 'more the same' (Elvis recorded blues, gospel, country, evergreens, rock, eastern (Harum Scarum), tropical, etc), but also they have very little releases in the budgetseries, which makes a sale to a non-fan harder.

Over more than 50 years, it would be more than normal to think that 1 on every 5 people on this world would have one Elvis cd (which lead to more than 1 billion in sales)?
Unfortunately these "new compilation" Christmas releases each year do not count toward the sales total for Elvis's original Christmas releases. So Elvis may sell a couple million Christmas compilations a year in the US-when you add all the totals together but it will not count toward his RIAA totals unless alone each sells the required amount to count. Because they have different tracks (mixing the songs from his 2 Christmas albums amd adding outtakes) they do not count toward the original album totals.
BMG should be pushing Elvis' biggest selling album, Elvis' Christmas Album*, each year and getting it past the magical 10 million units mark to qualify Elvis for his first ever Diamond Award. The 9 million mark was certified in 2004 so it shouldn't take much too much effort to reach the 10 million unit mark. But instead they have some new promotion with new artwork and that takes sales away from the the original.
Elvis could have had a Diamond record long ago-but for BMG and the compilations IMO.

Lisarose
05-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I understand this now, but now I'm kinda ticked off!

- the Welz - But even if I were the only person who buys Elvis records he would still be THE ARTIST OF THE CENTURY for me.

I couldn't agree more! And welcome on board, Welz! Great to see you here, keep posting!

Unchained Melody
05-04-2008, 09:51 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Elvis Presley is the greatest recording artist in the history of record industry.