PDA

View Full Version : Presley Center Courts

cameron
04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/zorahday/auction_banner_342.jpg

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/auction_banners.html

In 1976 Elvis Presley entered in to his sole business venture and investment – The Presley Center Courts Racquet Ball Club in Memphis Tennessee. Land was purchased in Memphis with plans to open also in Nashville and across the USA, a very important ‘out of music’ investment.

The Bank of Commerce in Memphis appears to have placed a first charge on Graceland to secure construction financing. As Elvis’s close friends, known as the ‘Memphis Mafia’, arranged for their contractor, designers and experts in the field of tennis and racquet ball courts, construction bit into some one million dollars plus – before even braking ground! Both Elvis and Col. Parker became alarmed, far away in Bel Aire, California.

Upon arrival Elvis was presented with a special gift of a custom made wall banner bearing the famous ‘Taking Care of Business’ lightning bolt together with the ‘Tree of Life’ with 14KT gold bullion names of each member of Presley’s inner circle in the ‘Memphis Mafia’, another larger work which hung across the gable end of the Center Courts Club House and a smaller banner for the Karate Club that was to developed later.

Elvis accepted the gift not knowing at the time that it had been charged to the costume and stage-ware account of his Hollywood tailor and costume maker. Some months passed until Elvis was fully aware of what was happening with his line of credit.

Upon Elvis giving his blessing to this project private investors started buying in. Some of Elvis’s cousins and close friends mortgaged their homes to become involved.
As time went by costs are believed to have passed four million dollars and Elvis was in fear of losing his beloved Graceland until he paid back the bank in full.

Richard Calhoun, a well-known oil promoter and friend of Col. Tom Parker (Elvis’s manager) met with Elvis and Parker in 1976 and agreed to buy out 70% of the company, not knowing at the time the trouble that it was in.
Elvis was so happy that he presented Calhoun with his 14KT bullion banner and the two others, stating “Mr Calhoun, you can still use my family name but not Elvis and I will always be available to promote this franchise”.

Within just seven days the truth was out. Calhoun and Parker pulled out their investment, while Elvis was obligated to repay the Bank of Commerce over one and a half million dollars.
Bad feeling were escalated and Elvis would close ranks to just the chosen few in his “Memphis Mafia” circle.

Merry
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
[quote=cameron;206286]

"Good old Joe" heh! :angry:

Now he is tight with Cilla.

SweetCaroline
04-18-2008, 10:02 PM
The first I heard about the deal of "Presley Center Courts"....was Elvis complaining/sharing to Red West in those famous secretly made tapes...Elvis was trying to explain himself and all that was going on in his life. In the tape Elvis states that he thought all he was doing was helping his friends Joe Esposito and Dr. Nick by lending his NAME to the project.... and before sweet Elvis knew what was happening he was knee deep in manure. :(

utmom2008
04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
The first I heard about the deal of "Presley Center Courts"....was Elvis complaining/sharing to Red West in those famous secretly made tapes...Elvis was trying to explain himself and all that was going on in his life. In the tape Elvis states that he thought all he was doing was helping his friends Joe Esposito and Dr. Nick by lending his NAME to the project.... and before sweet Elvis knew what was happening he was knee deep in manure. :(

No need for me say a word.....I completely agree with you. How sad that this was all going down in the last months of his life. Hindsight is 20/20...I wonder how these guys would handle things given a second chance.:doh::doh::blink::blink:

midnight
04-19-2008, 06:10 AM
The last couple of years of Elvis`s life is so tragic and sad. Even though there were so many around him , he had to deal with everything internally himself . I can`t imagine the pain and stress he was suffering inside. Yet he faced his concerts in the end with so much pride and dignity just for us, his fans. After all in the end we were all he had and he gave his all just for us. I just know somewhere he is looking down on his fans and feeling so proud that we have stuck by him after all these years and continues to love him for all he did to make us happy. O.k now I need a tissue... Kim

Lisarose
04-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Elvis accepted the gift not knowing at the time that it had been charged to the costume and stage-ware account of his Hollywood tailor and costume maker.

O M G!:doh: Giving him a gift that he paid for? Did I read that right? Could he trust anyone!? Excuse me while I go vent off some anger - I'll be at the batting cage. . .ttyl. .

utmom2008
04-19-2008, 11:10 AM
The last couple of years of Elvis`s life is so tragic and sad. Even though there were so many around him , he had to deal with everything internally himself . I can`t imagine the pain and stress he was suffering inside. Yet he faced his concerts in the end with so much pride and dignity just for us, his fans. After all in the end we were all he had and he gave his all just for us. I just know somewhere he is looking down on his fans and feeling so proud that we have stuck by him after all these years and continues to love him for all he did to make us happy. O.k now I need a tissue... Kim

Beautiful post Kim.......(y)

O M G!:doh: Giving him a gift that he paid for? Did I read that right? Could he trust anyone!? Excuse me while I go vent off some anger - I'll be at the batting cage. . .ttyl. .

I know what you were thinking Lisa...I kept re-reading it and thinking to myself "Am I reading this right? The poor man paid for his own gift?" No wonder that the last year of his life was spiraling out of control....:sad::sad:

SweetCaroline
04-19-2008, 12:10 PM
How sad that this was all going down in the last months of his life. Hindsight is 20/20...I wonder how these guys would handle things given a second chance.:doh::doh::blink::blink:

Elvis had so much on his shoulders. I know his close friends all say how much they loved him....but I can't help but wonder how most of them sleep at night knowing they bear at least some of the responsiblity for the DIFFICULT last many months that Elvis suffered through. :(

rhythmknights
04-20-2008, 06:03 AM
that whole article just made me so:cursing: this could only happen to the nicest guy n the world. :angry:it'd made me rant and rave on staage and everywhere. AND he had to keep working just to keep his beloved Graceland - literally, it seems.
Lisarose, i've got some more tokens for the batting cage, move over!

cameron
04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I just like to look at the whole picture. There's many things that we, as fans, know nothing about in his life. IMO, Elvis was very much alone toward the end. He was no saint, but,his "friends" very much used him. Some still do after all these years. :'(

utmom2008
04-20-2008, 11:03 AM
IMO, Elvis was very much alone toward the end.

Very sad, but VERY true I would imagine. :sad::sad:

Merry
04-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I just like to look at the whole picture. There's many things that we, as fans, know nothing about in his life. IMO, Elvis was very much alone toward the end. He was no saint, but,his "friends" very much used him. Some still do after all these years. :'(

It is all water under the bridge, I guess; however, this is why, some of us, including you Cameron, and many of Elvis' friends who have read the boards over the years, have stood up for Elvis, when the "Memphis Mafia" books were quoted as true, and something we should all follow as gospel, like sheep, which is soooo wrong!

There were many reasons, good reasons, and many facets, to Elvis' story, of why things happened to be, and turn out, the way they did. So many stresses.......

We are all human, and there is truth in the stories, but also reasons, why Elvis reacted as he did.

All I can say, is that my respect for Elvis couldn't be higher, as having been in business for myself, I can only imagine the magnitude of his responsibilities, caring and looking after so many people, while trying to keep sane, with everything else that was going on around him.

Then on top of that, people blowing things out of proportion, as is still the case these days, with anything, to sell magazines, or for some "celebrities" to promote themselves in anyway, by positive or negative promotion by name dropping.

Alright, off the soap box, lol, but that's it in a nutshell, in my opinion. Also more power to his friends who still watch over him! ;) :) (y)

Lisarose
04-21-2008, 10:24 AM
It is all water under the bridge, I guess; however, this is why, some of us, including you Cameron, and many of Elvis' friends who have read the boards over the years, have stood up for Elvis, when the "Memphis Mafia" books were quoted as true, and something we should all follow as gospel, like sheep, which is soooo wrong!

Alright, off the soap box, lol, but that's it in a nutshell, in my opinion. Also more power to his friends who still watch over him! ;) :) (y)

Exactly! Thank you, Jess!(y)

04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Elvis had so much on his shoulders. I know his close friends all say how much they loved him....but I can't help but wonder how most of them sleep at night knowing they bear at least some of the responsiblity for the DIFFICULT last many months that Elvis suffered through. :(

Everyone should hold on a second.

Yes it was a terrible thing to present a gift to Elvis that he paid for.

But......

All this talk of poor Elvis etc...

He was 42 years of age and the best entertainer on the planet. How he got himself into such a financial mess and agreed to be part of this without looking over it fully....while putting up Graceland to pay for it is beyond belief.

It just shows how far from reality Elvis was at the end, that he would even allow this to happen. He was taken advantage of......but he was a grown man who should have known better.

cameron
04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Everyone should hold on a second.

Yes it was a terrible thing to present a gift to Elvis that he paid for.

But......

All this talk of poor Elvis etc...

He was 42 years of age and the best entertainer on the planet. How he got himself into such a financial mess and agreed to be part of this without looking over it fully....while putting up Graceland to pay for it is beyond belief.

It just shows how far from reality Elvis was at the end, that he would even allow this to happen. He was taken advantage of......but he was a grown man who should have known better.

I guess you never trusted "friends" and got screwed over .
Unfortunately, I have.
You might try reading to see what they told him.

04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess you never trusted "friends" and got screwed over .
Unfortunately, I have.
You might try reading to see what they told him.

Yes I have read what they are supposed to have told him.

I believe though that Elvis was naive - it was a large undertaking and ultimately the medication he was abusing caused a lapse of judgment.

cameron
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Yes I have read what they are supposed to have told him.

I believe though that Elvis was naive - it was a large undertaking and ultimately the medication he was abusing caused a lapse of judgment.

Obviously, you can think what you like.I see it differently.
It happened to me . I'm neither nieve nor taking any medication.
You just assume you can trust ones that have been friends for years.
I hope it never happens to you. Money talks.

utmom2008
04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Obviously, you can think what you like.I see it differently.
It happened to me . I'm neither nieve nor taking any medication.
You just assume you can trust ones that have been friends for years.
I hope it never happens to you. Money talks.

You are right on the mark Cameron. Medication had nothing to do with it. People would do well to remember that he was a 20 year old kid when his life began to be controlled by others. A 20 year old naive kid whose parents had no background in the world of business either...at the very least he thought he could trust his friends..as we ALL do. Lucky is the man who never gets screwed over by friends/and..or/ relatives.:blink::blink:

utmom2008
04-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't know what to say.....Good Grief:wacko::wacko::wacko:

cameron
04-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok. "Friends" have stated publicly that he was hooked on drugs and suffered lapses in judjement. Yet, they still tried to undertake this big business dealing. Wouldn't they have considered at that time, being friends, that maybe it shouldn't happen? But it's ok to proceed and then later come back and blame it on the drugs? "Friends" stood to gain a lot. Sounds as if he came off the medication and realized his "friends" were taking advantage of him. He was naive and on drugs, guess he didn't stand a chance.

Good to see you, T.O.M. ;):lol:
You might think so. Especially since one was the doctor writing all those scripts.

SweetCaroline
04-21-2008, 01:51 PM
You are right on the mark Cameron. Medication had nothing to do with it. People would do well to remember that he was a 20 year old kid when his life began to be controlled by others. A 20 year old naive kid whose parents had no background in the world of business either...at the very least he thought he could trust his friends..as we ALL do. Lucky is the man who never gets screwed over by friends/and..or/ relatives.:blink::blink:

Well said by both you, and Cameron. I enjoyed both your posts. I showed the the first post in the thread to my husband and he just shook his head like so many of us :( and he isn't even especially an Elvis fan.

Elvis had an innocence to him and a huge heart. That is a couple of the very reasons many of us loved him so much. (((Elvis))))

utmom2008
04-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Elvis had an innocence to him and a huge heart. That is a couple of the very reasons many of us loved him so much. (((Elvis))))

You are so right about that Carole. That innocence was never more present than when he would flash that "little boy smile" that he was famous for. Elvis had the unique gift of being able to look like an innocent young man and/or the sexiest man to ever walk the earth at the same time. I guess that's part of the "it" factor that so few ever possess.:blink::blink::blush::blush:

Merry
04-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Well said, Carole.

04-21-2008, 04:08 PM
It was a bad situation for Elvis.

However the fact cannot be escaped that he was a grown man who really doesen't have an excuse for getting himself into this mess.

Elvis messed up. Maybe by blindly trusting people - but to the extent of having to use Graceland for the money?

Sadly by this stage of Elvis's life I think he was more concerned with keeping Dr. Nick happy so he could get what he wanted rather than being focused on his career or his life.

KPM
04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Elvis was no business man thats for sure. He trusted others to advise him on business and to set up deals for him which were in his best interests.(in and outside his career) Unfortunately many were not looking out for his best interests all the way down the line. He did what others in show business have done-he got taken.
He is not unique in this area, many have trusted their careers and fortunes to others who were suppose to be "taking care of things" to find out they were not doing so. For that matter it is a rare person who has not somewhere along the way been taken advantage of by someone who conned them into a bad investment or situation. It happens.
No one can be an expert on everything. We all have our areas of expertise and we tend to let others handle the ones we know little about-trusting that they are being straight with us.

cameron
04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
It was a bad situation for Elvis.

However the fact cannot be escaped that he was a grown man who really doesen't have an excuse for getting himself into this mess.

Elvis messed up. Maybe by blindly trusting people - but to the extent of having to use Graceland for the money?

Sadly by this stage of Elvis's life I think he was more concerned with keeping Dr. Nick happy so he could get what he wanted rather than being focused on his career or his life.

Maybe so. But he fired Dr Nick over it. ;)
Then Nick and Esposito filed a lawsuit against Elvis.
Nice friends. :rolleyes:

04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
You do realise Nick was working for Elvis at time of Elvis's death?

And that Joe was also working for Elvis when Elvis died!?

The lawsuits were not filed malicously, they were filed as part of a legal process over the whole mess.

04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Elvis was no business man thats for sure. He trusted others to advise him on business and to set up deals for him which were in his best interests.(in and outside his career) Unfortunately many were not looking out for his best interests all the way down the line. He did what others in show business have done-he got taken.
He is not unique in this area, many have trusted their careers and fortunes to others who were suppose to be "taking care of things" to find out they were not doing so. For that matter it is a rare person who has not somewhere along the way been taken advantage of by someone who conned them into a bad investment or situation. It happens.
No one can be an expert on everything. We all have our areas of expertise and we tend to let others handle the ones we know little about-trusting that they are being straight with us.

Well said.

I just feel Elvis even a few years earlier would not have found himself in such a position. Persoanlly I think it just highlights the extent of what was going on in his life at the time.

SweetCaroline
04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Maybe so. But he fired Dr Nick over it. ;)
Then Nick and Esposito filed a lawsuit against Elvis.
Nice friends. :rolleyes:

This all sounds so intriguing. :hmm:
Where can I learn more about it, Cameron.

cameron
04-21-2008, 05:09 PM
You do realise Nick was working for Elvis at time of Elvis's death?

And that Joe was also working for Elvis when Elvis died!?The lawsuits were not filed malicously, they were filed as part of a legal process over the whole mess.

Of course I do. Parker wanted Nick back.

In spite of what some call "rose clored glasses" I do recognize Elvis had problems.
It just gets irritating when no one recognizes all the problems he was faced with toward the end of his life.
As someone else said-- "some take the MM words as gospel. "
From all I can see; they were as bad off as he was, but Elvis was the one footing the bills.. And he's still paying some of their way.
When might enough be enough ??

04-21-2008, 05:13 PM

In spite of what some call "rose clored glasses" I do recognize Elvis had problems.
It just gets irritating when no one recognizes all the problems he was faced with toward the end of his life.
From all I can see; they were as bad off as he was, but Elvis was the one footing the bills.. And he's still paying some of their way.

When Graceland closes and fans stop buying his music and people stop taking an interest in his life.

Perhaps then enough will be enough.

Hopefully that day will never come, and I woulden't hold my breath for it!

As for Parker wanting Nick back....Elvis wanted him. Elvis had Nick supplying him with what he wanted and at that stage needed.

Joes alright - he was the one who tried CPR on Elvis in the bathroom.

They all loved him, like we do. Except they knew him.

cameron
04-21-2008, 06:00 PM
As for Parker wanting Nick back....Elvis wanted him. Elvis had Nick supplying him with what he wanted and at that stage needed.

You should read more. ;)

Parker called ,wanting Dr Nick to come back on tour.

Ask Joe.
He didn't do any CPR on Elvis.He'll tell you that himself. :rolleyes:

The King's Queen
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM

Trust is something that you have when people love you for YOU...and not for what you can give them. Sadly, I doubt that Elvis felt that he could trust anyone without having to give something in exchange to keep them from breaking their so called 'trust'. :angry:(n)

I think they sleep fine...because those who have a history of using others for their own gain, rarely have any regrets! Those who let themselves get controlled by the almighty dollar often become less human...monetary gain over rides morals. :blink:

Medication had nothing to do with it. Lucky is the man who never gets screwed over by friends/and..or/ relatives.:blink::blink:

Sooo true Rosie...(y) I don't know anyone, period, who has not experienced betrayal in some form. The only exception in Elvis' case was that HE trusted them too much. And, IMO, by the time he was prepared to accept the fact that he was used for so long, it was too near the end to do any good. It only helped to destroy him. My God...how could anyone endure being betrayed by most, if not all, of those whom you consider the closest to your heart...and not be mortally wounded? :doh: :'( I think that it is a shame that these same people continue to prosper from his name and their connection to him...:cursing: But we must all pay for what we do...eventually.

SweetCaroline
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Trust is something that you have when people love you for YOU...and not for what you can give them. Sadly, I doubt that Elvis felt that he could trust anyone without having to give something in exchange to keep them from breaking their so called 'trust'. :angry:(n)

I think they sleep fine...because those who have a history of using others for their own gain, rarely have any regrets! Those who let themselves get controlled by the almighty dollar often become less human...monetary gain over rides morals. :blink:

Sooo true Rosie...(y) I don't know anyone, period, who has not experienced betrayal in some form. The only exception in Elvis' case was that HE trusted them too much. And, IMO, by the time he was prepared to accept the fact that he was used for so long, it was too near the end to do any good. It only helped to destroy him. My God...how could anyone endure being betrayed by most, if not all, of those whom you consider the closest to your heart...and not be mortally wounded? :doh: :'( I think that it is a shame that these same people continue to prosper from his name and their connection to him...:cursing: But we must all pay for what we do...eventually.

Great post, Lea!!! :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Lisarose
04-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Great point there! (y) Now wonder he considered himself a Lonely Man.

utmom2008
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM

NO!!! Joe did NOT try CPR on Elvis in the bathroom. This is the same Joe that first said he found Elvis dead...lying in the bed.:blink::blink::blink:

utmom2008
04-21-2008, 09:59 PM

It makes me extremely sad to imagine what his last year must have been like...the enormous amount of stress he had to be shouldering. Death at age 42 is hard to swallow any way you cut it...but to die at that age under personal stress is horrible. I wonder if at some point in those last few months if he ever felt like the walls were closing in on him. I think that probably, he did.:sad::sad:

04-22-2008, 01:46 AM
You should read more. ;)

Parker called ,wanting Dr Nick to come back on tour.

Ask Joe.
He didn't do any CPR on Elvis.He'll tell you that himself. :rolleyes:

Joe says he did it on plenty of interviews. If you can show me somewhere that he says he didn't perform CPR? I'll ask him in the summer when I meet up with him though.

As for the Parker thing, we all know Elvis needed/wanted Nick no matter what way it is dressed up as to who called him to come back.

(y)

04-22-2008, 01:48 AM
NO!!! Joe did NOT try CPR on Elvis in the bathroom. This is the same Joe that first said he found Elvis dead...lying in the bed.:blink::blink::blink:

Ive never heard that he didnt. Do you have an example of where he has said he didn't do CPR?

As for the Bed....thing come, of course he had to say that to begin with. Elvis dying in the bathroom was not something that they initially wanted to mention and that's fair enough.

04-22-2008, 01:50 AM
It makes me extremely sad to imagine what his last year must have been like...the enormous amount of stress he had to be shouldering. Death at age 42 is hard to swallow any way you cut it...but to die at that age under personal stress is horrible. I wonder if at some point in those last few months if he ever felt like the walls were closing in on him. I think that probably, he did.:sad::sad:

Probabaly.

But Elvis was not in a good frame of mind due to his self-destruction either so that certainly would not have helped.

cameron
04-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Joe says he did it on plenty of interviews. If you can show me somewhere that he says he didn't perform CPR? I'll ask him in the summer when I meet up with him though.

As for the Parker thing, we all know Elvis needed/wanted Nick no matter what way it is dressed up as to who called him to come back.

(y)

There are interviews on the Net where Joe laughs and says " I don't know how that all got started .I didn't do CPR on Elvis." :blink:
He said he did, that's where it came from.
It's on Joe's DVD too. "ELVIS! His Best Friend Remembers"
I know the first time I heard him contradict himself I wanted to sock him.
Can none of them tell the truth??
{I think this was covered before in another thread. But, I'm not going to look it up . You can if you're interested.}

The bit where Elvis fired Dr Nick was in a couple of books I read.
Elvis used that Nevada doctor ,Dr. Elias Ghanem .{ the one that kept him asleep for three weeks to lose weight} :rolleyes: Parker didn't like him so he called Dr Nick and asked him to come back on tour with them. {can't say I blame Parker for that one}

I've not got the time to look all that old stuff up . If I run across it again; I'll post a link here . None of this stuff is news, I just thought everyone knew.

04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
There are interviews on the Net where Joe laughs and says " I don't know how that all got started .I didn't do CPR on Elvis." :blink:
He said he did, that's where it came from.
It's on Joe's DVD too. "ELVIS! His Best Friend Remembers"
I know the first time I heard him contradict himself I wanted to sock him.
Can none of them tell the truth??
{I think this was covered before in another thread. But, I'm not going to look it up . You can if you're interested.}

The bit where Elvis fired Dr Nick was in a couple of books I read.
Elvis used that Nevada doctor ,Dr. Elias Ghanem .{ the one that kept him asleep for three weeks to lose weight} :rolleyes: Parker didn't like him so he called Dr Nick and asked him to come back on tour with them. {can't say I blame Parker for that one}

I've not got the time to look all that old stuff up . If I run across it again; I'll post a link here . None of this stuff is news, I just thought everyone knew.

I can safely say I never heard Joe say he didn't perform CPR on Elvis. I will take a look and see if I can find where he does say he didn't, as i can easily locate him saying he did.

Wasn't the fact that Nick was called back due to the reason that Elias was too free with what he gave Elvis and Elvis's performances were suffering badly from having Elias?

Also - Elias put Elvis on the sleep diet at a different time to when the whole centre courts debacle flared up.

cameron
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I can safely say I never heard Joe say he didn't perform CPR on Elvis. I will take a look and see if I can find where he does say he didn't, as i can easily locate him saying he did.

Wasn't the fact that Nick was called back due to the reason that Elias was too free with what he gave Elvis and Elvis's performances were suffering badly from having Elias?

Also - Elias put Elvis on the sleep diet at a different time to when the whole centre courts debacle flared up.

This isn't the video I was talking about, I just wanted Joe.

Yes, Elias was giving Elvis too much medicine is what Parker said.
He wasn't able to perform .

Yes, I remember when Elias "put him to sleep." To lose weight. :blink:

-nv84S9Eyzk

cfVR-uQgwdg