PDA

View Full Version : elvis and seaching though Religion

presley31
04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Do anybody ever wonder what elvis was seaching for though all the Religion books?? Its such a shame that elvis never did understand what kind of affect he had on people and why he was so special to thousands of people. Do you think by the religion that was his way of finding out anwers to his thoughts of everyday life? I often wonder did the people who loved him the most, didn't they tell him that he was a great person and he was very talented? If elvis did hear this stuff l don't think he would question why he was so loved.

cprimm
04-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Have you read this post on "The Religious Life of Elvis Presley"? There is an article in the Insiders' Winter 2008 "Through The Gate". It may answer some of your questions.

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?p=201074#post201074

presley31
04-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Have you read this post on "The Religious Life of Elvis Presley"? There is an article in the Insiders' Winter 2008 "Through The Gate". It may answer some of your questions.

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?p=201074#post201074

thank you very much.

Getlo
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Do anybody ever wonder what elvis was seaching for though all the Religion books??

The same thing that everyone else looks for in books of this nature: answers.

Trying to find meaning in the world around him. Trying to find his place in the world.

Elvis' spiritual journey was no different to anyone else's in that regard, IMO. I think he knew that his brand of Christianity did not provide all the answers he was looking for, so he explored other philosophies and religions. A very wise move, actually ... more people should do that.

cameron
04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I think I've always wondered ," What in the world am I doing here ?"
IMO, more of us ask that than will admit it .
It's an age old question and some are lucky enough to have friends that wonder the same. The people around Elvis mostly didn't.

I enjoyed studying other religions and I did change my religious affiliation...but not my God. Nor did Elvis, IMO. ;);)

presley31
04-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I think I've always wondered ," What in the world am I doing here ?"
IMO, more of us ask that than will admit it .
It's an age old question and some are lucky enough to have friends that wonder the same. The people around Elvis mostly didn't.

I enjoyed studying other religions and I did change my religious affiliation...but not my God. Nor did Elvis, IMO. ;);)

I asked my self the same questions but my answers are still unknown just like elvis never really understood what he was here for either, but his seach was far bigger than how much soul seaching l did;)

goodelvisgirl
04-02-2008, 08:25 PM
yup i think just like elvis other people are searching for there place in life and trying to make sence of the world and religion elvis seemed to have a deeper look into this and it probaly gave him answers and piece of mind and maybee a better understanding of who he was and what his purpose in life was although maybee he never found out those things so was constantly looking they do say an active mind is a contented mind

SleepyJack
04-04-2008, 07:34 AM
I sometimes think that very often we all make the same mistake in our searching...Elvis included.....that we spend too much time trawling through the information and missing perhaps the best place to begin to find answers...in each other and in the world that we have somehow been born into.I`ve pretty much given up on the complications of trying to figure out religions and the endless pages on it all......look at the people in your life,appreciate them and love them and make the most of the time that you have....and never forget to stop and smell the roses!

cameron
04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I think we all go through a period of questioning , "why are we here " and what role do I play . I think it's great to question and make our own decisions. In the end, facts and figures do not answer our quest. It's only how we relate to each other . IMO, that's our reason for being.
This world is just a learning place . Hopefully, we will "graduate" and understand more when our learning period is completed.
. {I think God has a great sense of humour };)

cameron
04-04-2008, 03:09 PM
A Message From Elvis -- {I like to think so } ;)

dFSI5IXoHHs

Burning_Love
04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
It was for answers. He wondered why he was chosen to be the person he is, for the fame he had. And, of course, why is he here ?
I often wonder the same, I look in the mirror and ask myself "who am I?", "why am I me" sounds strange but i guess Elvis was the same and most people are ;)

LianaKaralivanou
04-04-2008, 04:48 PM
From the book "Elvis By teh Presleys":
"...In many ways Elvis had been searching his entire life. He had the kind if mind and soul that required constant stimulation and nourishment. Most entertainers with his talent merely accept the talent. Elvis wanted to know why it was given to him; why he was the object of such adulation; why blessings fell upon him; and - perhaps most crucially - why he still couldn't define his ultimate purpose. He was convinced his purpose went well beyond music and movies..."
Another small part of the book;
"...Elvis worried that he had become a money-making machine. He worried that all his commercial work had injured his spirit. So when Larry Geller started talking about ways to transcend the material world, Elvis was enraptured. He was eager to learn about the metaphysical..."

KPM
04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
The same thing that everyone else looks for in books of this nature: answers.

Trying to find meaning in the world around him. Trying to find his place in the world.

Elvis' spiritual journey was no different to anyone else's in that regard, IMO. I think he knew that his brand of Christianity did not provide all the answers he was looking for, so he explored other philosophies and religions. A very wise move, actually ... more people should do that.
I don't know Getlo, Elvis just had to raise an eyebrow and 10,000 girls screamed. He just had to sing "How Great Thou Art" and people cried, that type of adulation has to truely get you questioning
"Why Me-for what purpose am I here?"
You and I might ask the same questions along the way-but don't have that huge weight of unheard of adulation on us.
He was a poor person who went to worldwide fame which normally was reserved for political or religious leaders. IMO That has to raise the mark a little higher when questioning, "Why Me-for what purpose am I here?"

The King's Queen
04-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Maybe simply to understand God better?

You may be 'tired'...but you speak with wisdom! ;)
I always felt as if Elvis wanted a better understanding of the God he believed in...in order to understand why he was chosen to have such an impact on other people...:hmm: I think he may have wondered if there was a 'higher calling' for him...and was afraid he had missed it. Whatever the case may be...Elvis was certain that there was a God...so it stands to reason that he would want to learn more about Him.

The King's Queen
04-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I don't know Getlo, Elvis just had to raise and eyebrow and 10,000 girls screamed. He just had to sing "How Great Thou Art" and people cried, that type of adulation has to truely get you questioning
"Why Me-for what purpose am I here?"
You and I might ask the same questions along the way-but don't have that huge weight of unheard of adulation on us.
He was a poor person who went to worldwide fame which normally was reserved for political or religious leaders. IMO That has to raise the mark a little higher when questioning, "Why Me-for what purpose am I here?"

Excellent post KPM...(y)

Getlo
04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
we spend too much time trawling through the information and missing perhaps the best place to begin to find answers...in each other and in the world that we have somehow been born into.I`ve pretty much given up on the complications of trying to figure out religions and the endless pages on it all......look at the people in your life,appreciate them and love them and make the most of the time that you have....and never forget to stop and smell the roses!

You've neatly summed up my (admittedly Athiestic) view of life! (y)

You and I might ask the same questions along the way-but don't have that huge weight of unheard of adulation on us. IMO That has to raise the mark a little higher when questioning, "Why Me-for what purpose am I here?"

I see your point. Elvis' pressures were certainly greater than mine, and I'm very grateful for that. And greater than most people.

But what about some guy or woman out there, just some average citizen. Many of them would be under much more pressure than Elvis, just from their everyday problems.

I think Elvis was smart to search for answers. Every thinking person questions their place in the Universe at one stage or another. In that regard, I don't see Elvis Presley as any different to me, you and anybody else who's ever thought about stuff like that.

Whatever hand life deals you ... deal with it!

And give it your best shot.

I think Elvis tried to deal with his stuff as best he could.

presley31
04-06-2008, 08:49 AM
From the book "Elvis By teh Presleys":
"...In many ways Elvis had been searching his entire life. He had the kind if mind and soul that required constant stimulation and nourishment. Most entertainers with his talent merely accept the talent. Elvis wanted to know why it was given to him; why he was the object of such adulation; why blessings fell upon him; and - perhaps most crucially - why he still couldn't define his ultimate purpose. He was convinced his purpose went well beyond music and movies..."
Another small part of the book;
"...Elvis worried that he had become a money-making machine. He worried that all his commercial work had injured his spirit. So when Larry Geller started talking about ways to transcend the material world, Elvis was enraptured. He was eager to learn about the metaphysical..."

thanks for posting Liana forgot about that stuff:blush:

KPM
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
You've neatly summed up my (admittedly Athiestic) view of life! (y)

I see your point. Elvis' pressures were certainly greater than mine, and I'm very grateful for that. And greater than most people.

But what about some guy or woman out there, just some average citizen. Many of them would be under much more pressure than Elvis, just from their everyday problems.
I think Elvis was smart to search for answers. Every thinking person questions their place in the Universe at one stage or another. In that regard, I don't see Elvis Presley as any different to me, you and anybody else who's ever thought about stuff like that.

Whatever hand life deals you ... deal with it!

And give it your best shot.

I think Elvis tried to deal with his stuff as best he could.
This is true. I think worrying about car problems, job layoffs, medical problems is pressure unbearable. But if most of us did not have those to worry about-what would the worries be? Would life become a utopia if we did not have average everyday problems? Maybe for a few that would be true. (I'll probably never know what that would be like)
I can walk down the street and blend in, as most people can. Elvis was not this person, he attracted attention with a capital A. When you are so different and unique that this happens without even trying-what thoughts does that put in your head about-existence, life and powers which may have bestowed this gift to you. Sure I have had thoughts of what is life-what is the meaning-WHY. But I blend in with the crowd and that is the difference to me. If you grew up in the south- where God is said to bestow all blessings-IMO it could put some pretty heavy questions into the clearest of heads.