PDA

View Full Version : Elvis appeared on the James Brown TV show in 1976 ?

howardrobardhughes
09-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Seems like there are some knowledgable people on TCB FORUM..could someone help me with the following dillema..?

Back in 1976..I used to stay up pretty late..and watch T.V....No cable in those days..so, on the weekends..I'd watch whatver was on ..
Soul Train,Don Kirschner's Rock Concert..etc..

I VIVIDLY remember watching the " James Brown T.V. Show" late one night in 1976..
James Brown said he had a surprise ...
He had spoken to Col. Parker..and Elvis was going to appear on the T.V. show....
Am I crazy??

Wade (HRH)

Lonniebealestreet
09-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Sounds extremely unlikely.

So it is not your contention that he was on there, but that James announced he would be appearing on an upcoming show, correct?

spinout-designs
09-15-2004, 05:31 PM
It's pretty certain that any such TV appearance, no matter how brief (had it occured), would be well documented long before now.

Whether it was announced however, is another matter.

howardrobardhughes
09-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I know he didn't apear on the show...
however...I was wondering if anyone knew the possibility that it had been discussed..
I wastched the James Brown show every Saturday night for Months after that..and James Brown never mentioned it again..
I wonder if James spoke to the Col....and Elvis and Col. Parker later changed their minds.????

spinout-designs
09-15-2004, 07:10 PM
According to the book 'Elvis, His Life From A to Z', having first met at a party at the Hyatt Continental Hotel in Hollywood, Elvis and James Brown subsequently became life long friends.

The book goes on to say, "Elvis wanted to record with Brown's band, The Famous Flames, but it was nixed by Colonel Tom Parker"

Perhaps not out of the question then that some discussion about a TV show appearance may have taken place ?

Lonniebealestreet
09-15-2004, 09:26 PM
I'd say not.

Of course, James did attend Elvis' funeral.

But I don't know that they had such a great relationship. Elvis gave James one of his Mathey-Tissot watches that he had made up (which had a cross and Star of David on the face and lit up in some fashion), which apparently James acted unimpressed about--not to Elvis, though. It was delivered by one of the guys as an apology for not watching James perform one night, or something like that. There were some other exchanges between James and Elvis' guys which had a little friction, and James in their presence belittled Elvis for traveling in a bus--this was in the sixties--while James was traveling by plane.

But maybe they got past those petty things and ended up getting along better later, though I haven't read anything to suggest it besides the A to Z book, which for all its merits does have plenty of erroneous information.