PDA

View Full Version : Fan or Sucker?

Lisarose
03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=3981

Gennaro Castaldo, of music retailer HMV, adds: "He's very, very collectible, anything that's released by him, people want to own, want to collect.

"And he's got a very dedicated, very loyal fan base that will buy anything released by his estate."

I just logged off my on-line shop. I purchased an Elvis cd collection I don't own. I'll admit, in the last few years, I have purchased a LOT of Elvis music and books, mostly because I actually have the extra money to do what I want. Then I read this. I know I don't 'buy anything" and this statement kind of upset me. In the last year I do feel that there were a lot of cd's and books that were put out there to just make money.
So, do you think that as a fan, you'll buy anything or are you selective?
[Keep in mind, that really, you, as a person, can do most anything you want without having to explain or justify yourself.]

goodelvisgirl
03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
well i am very picky about my cd's and even if its an outtake of a song i have heard or the same songs just from a different show i won't buy the cd but on the other had i have bought a whole cd just for 1 song that i don't have also i don't have that many books i'll read only the ones that appeal to me or have been recomended to me by others i will not buy anything just cos its elvis and hate when people release stuff just to make money as they think we will take anything well i for one wont settle for just anything

Burning_Love
03-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I buy lots of Elvis CD's. Not because i have to, because i want to. So i can hear all the different songs that he sang. I try not to buy a CD with the same songs i have on my other ones. I want to get to know the man, and him being dead is hard, so his music speaks to me.

Diane
03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm very picky about everything I buy Elvis memorabilia, music included. I won't just buy anything. I think that fuels putting out the tacky stuff.

Diane

Lisarose
03-06-2008, 03:45 PM
I buy lots of Elvis CD's. Not because i have to, because i want to. So i can hear all the different songs that he sang. I try not to buy a CD with the same songs i have on my other ones. I want to get to know the man, and him being dead is hard, so his music speaks to me.

Well said, I prefer to get cd's where he interacts with his musicians [alt. takes]. That lets me know his angle on interpretation. Lets me get to know him, too. I try not to buy cd's that repeat the same songs, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I also have bought a cd because it had that one song I hadn't heard before.:blush:

Burning_Love
03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Well said, I prefer to get cd's where he interacts with his musicians [alt. takes]. That lets me know his angle on interpretation. Lets me get to know him, too. I try not to buy cd's that repeat the same songs, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I also have bought a cd because it had that one song I hadn't heard before.:blush:

Oh yes, i'm exactly the same (y)..alt.takes are my favourite.
And i have about 10 songs of which i have repeated about 5 times.

TCBnAflash
03-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I can honestly say that, I almost have everything that was put out on CD but I got so tired of them repackaging the same songs with a different CD cover. The same went for the DVD's. How many times are we going to see, Aloha and 68 comeback with a different cover. I thought the last two deluxe sets had everything.
I am now selective cause a CD might have only one song of an different take.
This man recorded over 600 songs in his 20 years of fame, there must be more songs he had recorded where at the time The Colonel wouldn't budge with him getting over, 60% of the publishing rights.

goodelvisgirl
03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
yup i try to hear at least every elvis song once and try to find as many different ones i don't have on cd like to hear all the different styles and personalites of elvis and music is the best way but books wel some people will write any old crap but love buying pics and other collectables within reason don't like those doll things they brought out

LORRIELOVESELVIS
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm very picky about everything I buy Elvis memorabilia, music included. I won't just buy anything. I think that fuels putting out the tacky stuff.

DianeI TOTALLY AGREE! LAST SUMMER I SAW A ELVIS TOILET SEAT COVER I WAS SO UPSET! WHAT SOMEBODY WILL DO TO MAKE THE CASH!!!!:angry::mad::hmm:

cameron
03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Yep, I'm pretty picky myself. I already have a lot of the music.
The odds and ends I don't buy except for the grandchildren when I go to Memphis.

Of course, the kids buy me things off and on. :)

Lisarose
03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I agree, Cameron. I've bought t-shirts and bumperstickers for my kids. My family & friends know I'm a big Elvis fan so I get the 'junkie' stuff from them. At Christmas I get whatever picture book is on sale at Barnes & Noble. Those aren't bad, but there isn't really anything new in them. My youngest son when he was much smaller bought me an Elvis rubber duckie. I never would have purchased that for myself. Now they know, I love Elvis, but not ANYthing Elvis.

goodelvisgirl
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
i am running out of elvis things to buy cos am quite picky but as you sy family will buy you anything elvis at christmas but there are alot of good elvis stuff out there i shop on ebay for the best cd's and dvd's

jon_burrows
03-07-2008, 04:37 AM
I am selective about what I buy. If I receive Elvis things as gifts then I'll choose the items. I know what CDs I want, I know why I want them whether it's for a song or a version of a song I haven't heard, or for a concert that's had good reviews. For instance I bought "Elvis At The International" because:

i) It was from the season when Elvis returned to live shows.

ii) It had good reviews about Elvis' performance and about the individual songs.

iii) This has an awesome 8mins + version of Suspicious Minds.

iv) It was also the first concert performed on my birthday after I was born (a bit of posteriry).

I also use similar rationale when buying books etc. But at the end of the day if I want it I'll get it. After all I'm buying.

The King's Queen
03-07-2008, 04:45 AM
I am not one to just run out and buy it because it bears mention of Elvis or carries his name. I do have a lot of stuff, and most of it has been bought for me by family and friends. But to say that we, the fans, would just gobble up whatever was thrown out is a bit much. Maybe some will...but most of us won't.

john carpenter
03-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Over the span of 30+years i've bought alot of Elvis c.d.s., d.v.d.s, books ect, Where i'm from the Elvis stuff is very limited. Yes, if i were well off i would buy a ton of stuff. The last expensive (to me) thing i bought was a d.v.d. of Elvis in Concert (35$), and an Elvis zippo off Amazon.com. If i lived near Graceland i'd be broke. And no, i wouldn't buy the Elvis toilet seat cover (too tacky).

elvisfan4life
03-21-2008, 02:26 AM
I am very picky on what I buy of Elvis'. They come out with the Elvis ornaments that look nothing like him, any large company will come out with Elvis on it and say it's a collectors item so people will rush to buy it. I'm very selective on what I buy.

I did go to a flea market and bought the Moody Blue album for $5.00 - i had lost mine in a divorce years ago and unbelievably - this album has no scratches!!! :D(y)

utmom2008
03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I did go to a flea market and bought the Moody Blue album for $5.00 - i had lost mine in a divorce years ago and unbelievably - this album has no scratches!!! :D(y)

Oh my!!! I have heard of losing kids or pets...but you lost MOODY BLUE???? You should have hired a better lawyer!;):lol:

TotallyInsane
03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh my!!! I have heard of losing kids or pets...but you lost MOODY BLUE???? You should have hired a better lawyer!;):lol:

I hope you at least got Madison Square Garden outta the deal!!! :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

elvisfan4life
03-22-2008, 12:22 AM

LMAO!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

elvisfan4life
03-22-2008, 12:24 AM
I hope you at least got Madison Square Garden outta the deal!!! :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: You know I did!!! :lol:

rhythmknights
03-22-2008, 06:13 AM
$5 FIVE?!? good deal, i wish i could be that lucky.
me i'm picky, too. i don't buy Elvis biographies anymore - nothing new,
too much deciphering - [is that opinion or fact?] and hardly every any
new pics! i am a sucker for the posters, tho. :)

Diane Lynn
03-22-2008, 08:45 AM
the circus elvis stuff, should have stopped with parker. a national treasure deserves better. we would not want our image on most of that stuff. i stick to the pictures, no books elvis gave us his auto bio with his music and the songs he picked to sing. you can hear all the elvis you want on satellite radio.

Albert
03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the quote from the openingpost about Elvisfans buying anything, is quite correct. Of course, he doesn't mean that ALL Elvisfans will be ANYTHING that has and ever will be released, but I've never seen more merchandise from any other artist or band. And most of it is easy cash, considering the design/quality.

Just look in the EPE shop: how much high quality, tastefull things are sold there? Most of it is made with little effort to come up with something new/original.

Generally speaking, Elvisfans are loyal and easy customers. How many other artists in the world have so many re-re-releases of their material? Re-release an album or an Elvis single, and you'll know for sure that it will sell to Elvisfans who already have that same album multiple times.

And I don't judge us, Elvisfans.... we're just cool (y)

The King's Queen
03-24-2008, 06:22 AM
I think the quote from the openingpost about Elvisfans buying anything, is quite correct. Of course, he doesn't mean that ALL Elvisfans will be ANYTHING that has and ever will be released, but I've never seen more merchandise from any other artist or band. And most of it is easy cash, considering the design/quality.

Just look in the EPE shop: how much high quality, tastefull things are sold there? Most of it is made with little effort to come up with something new/original.

Generally speaking, Elvisfans are loyal and easy customers. How many other artists in the world have so many re-re-releases of their material? Re-release an album or an Elvis single, and you'll know for sure that it will sell to Elvisfans who already have that same album multiple times.

How right you are Albert! ;)(y)(y)(y)

utmom2008
03-24-2008, 10:20 AM

I would have to say that at the moment my favorites are the potholder and the kitchen sink drain stopper. That is beyond tacky.....not sure what to call it. I can't wait until Gail and I are there...we will scope out everything and report back to you.:supriced::supriced:

Lisarose
03-24-2008, 11:19 AM

I suppose. I know, I have Elvis cassettes and [very] few 45's, then upgraded to the cd and now I guess, I'll have to upgrade again in the near future! :D

SleepyJack
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I`ve got an in-built "Thumb-o-meter" that I usually go by.......Thumb up for the good stuff and a thumb down and a little warning beep for all the tacky rubbish and exploitation devices.