PDA

View Full Version : elvis and the stories about him

presley31
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
When people all wrote books about elvis and talked about everything, did anybody ever think about elvis and his wishes. It seems to be that everyone talked about everything from concerts to his private life. I guess l'am wondering where did elvis dignity go?? If people turly loved the man why the heck did some write books and do loads of interviews:hmm:

Diane
02-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Some I think because the spotlight was always on Elvis so it might have caused some jealousy so they had their chance to get into a spotlight of their own and did it.

Not saying I know for sure, but it seems likely and others did it to get a little revenge for what they thought Elvis did to them. We can only guess until they tell us the whole truth. But...after all this time and so many things said then denied, how could we tell truth from other lies?

Diane

cameron
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I believe that "the fans" wanted any news of Elvis and that they were taken advantage of, IMO. Most people believed anythng, IF it was in print.
Of course some enjoyed the idea of being "in the know" and associating with people that claimed to know it all. :P

presley31
02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I think they all wanted the fame and the spotlight to be pointed on them so the world could see them and not elvis presley but its a real shame cause if it wasn't for elvis Nobody would have stories to write and crap to sell and wouldn't be interviewed or a place to sit on some tv shows.

MissyM
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't know what people expected. He is an Icon. He is a mystery and a ledgend. It would be like not writing about Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King, or Pavaroti. He is part of history, and millions of peoples lives. He is one of the most dynamic people ever. There is a thirst for knowledge, curiousity concerning his life, and a need to connect.
I think it is very unrealistic to think that any of us had we been close to him to think we wouldn't want to share him and our stories of him. And weather we like what is written or not, it keeps him in some way ..alive.

presley31
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't know what people expected. He is an Icon. He is a mystery and a ledgend. It would be like not writing about Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King, or Pavaroti. He is part of history, and millions of peoples lives. He is one of the most dynamic people ever. There is a thirst for knowledge, curiousity concerning his life, and a need to connect.
I think it is very unrealistic to think that any of us had we been close to him to think we wouldn't want to share him and our stories of him. And weather we like what is written or not, it keeps him in some way ..alive.

yep if it was all true maybe:hmm: I just pass by the books now, there's to much of the same thing.

Tony Trout
02-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Of course some enjoyed the idea of being "in the know" and associating with people that claimed to know it all. :P

Um...they knew and know more than we ever will because they were around him and on call 24/7 so....

presley31
02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Um...they knew and know more than we ever will because they were around him and on call 24/7 so....

how do we know that everything we hear is true??

cameron
02-22-2008, 03:32 PM

Sorry, Tony. On this we disagree. :)

MissyM
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
YOu don't expect it that's all presley31. Why does every story have to be identical. Everyone saw things a bit differently. And yes, some have changed their stories too. It one part different perspective and one part not remembering, and another part emblishment. I'm pretty realistic and I guess I just take into account the way we humans are. I don't honestly think that all who wrote stuff are evil devils. Just human. And some yes have a personal agenda too. But as long as the basic story line is close to what the majority says, it probably is accurate. And I just always expected things to be written. I sure think far more good things are known about Elvis than bad. That is the way it will always be because he had his fault but also was so many wonderful qualities too.

presley31
02-22-2008, 03:38 PM
YOu don't expect it that's all presley31. Why does every story have to be identical. Everyone saw things a bit differently. And yes, some have changed their stories too. It one part different perspective and one part not remembering, and another part emblishment. I'm pretty realistic and I guess I just take into account the way we humans are. I don't honestly think that all who wrote stuff are evil devils. Just human. And some yes have a personal agenda too. But as long as the basic story line is close to what the majority says, it probably is accurate. And I just always expected things to be written. I sure think far more good things are known about Elvis than bad. That is the way it will always be because he had his fault but also was so many wonderful qualities too.

people who claim to love someone shouldn't write books peroid and l hope when l die my friends or exes don't do the same.. if people want to write a book than write it about the good times and not dwell on the bad parts of elvis life.

utmom2008
02-22-2008, 03:40 PM
people who claim to love someone shouldn't write books peroid and l hope when l die my friends or exes don't do the same.. if people want to write a book than write it about the good times and not dwell on the bad parts of elvis life.
You are not a world famous icon, so I really don't think they will. There is the difference.

MissyM
02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I disagree completely. It is their story as well. They have that right. I don't believe in censorship. And I don't think that it hurt Elvis, not with all the wonderful things we know about him, all the great things that have been told. They will always far out-weigh the negative.

presley31
02-22-2008, 03:42 PM
You are not a world famous icon, so I really don't think they will. There is the difference.

right but it doesn't give everyone the right to make money off elvis either now thats he's gone(n)

presley31
02-22-2008, 03:42 PM
I disagree completely. It is their story as well. They have that right. I don't believe in censorship. And I don't think that it hurt Elvis, not with all the wonderful things we know about him, all the great things that have been told. They will always far out-weigh the negative.

l have to disgree there(n)

MissyM
02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
right but it doesn't give everyone the right to make money off elvis either now thats he's gone
_______
So then you must think Graceland should have never been opened or should be closed. And you must think that any picture, memorablia should be locked up and let rot.

utmom2008
02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree with you Missy, and no, I don't believe in censorship either. I feel like some posters think there should be an "approved" list as to who can write their story and who can't.

presley31
02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
right but it doesn't give everyone the right to make money off elvis either now thats he's gone
_______
So then you must think Graceland should have never been opened or should be closed. And you must think that any picture, memorablia should be locked up and let rot.

l just posted that myself missy cause its wrong and people should stop doing that including his ex

utmom2008
02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
_______
?????????? Was this P31's comment???

presley31
02-22-2008, 03:49 PM
?????????? Was this P31's comment???

look at #14

MissyM
02-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Well that we will agree on, p31-I don't like people at Graceland. But if we start to censor, that is a slippery slope.
Also I think for some that writting about Elvis was cathargic, part of the healing process.

utmom2008
02-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Missy...I am confused. :lol: Do you think it is alright, or not alright for people to have made money off of writing the books? I can't get a feel for what you are saying...the posts seem to lean both ways. ;):D

SweetCaroline
02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
When people all wrote books about elvis and talked about everything, did anybody ever think about elvis and his wishes. It seems to be that everyone talked about everything from concerts to his private life. I guess l'am wondering where did elvis dignity go?? If people turly loved the man why the heck did some write books and do loads of interviews:hmm:

I totally agree with you on this, Jen. :notworthy For a man all the book authors and interview subjects have said they "loved"... they left him with very little dignity or decent reputation in tact. I would never BETRAY a friend, lover, x-lover, or family member this way... famous or not famous. It is impossible for me to understand anyone that would.

TotallyInsane
02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
I totally agree with you on this, Jen. :notworthy For a man all the book authors and interview subjects have said they "loved"... they left him with very little dignity or decent reputation in tact. I would never BETRAY a friend, lover, x-lover, or family member this way... famous or not famous. It is impossible for me to understand anyone that would.

So, what do you think - do you think Rosanne will be loyal to me and not sell all my stalking adventures????

Getlo
02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
people who claim to love someone shouldn't write books peroid

Do you apply this logic to books written by the likes of Charlie Hodge (puff piece) or just to people like the MM (more truthful than most people expected)?

And is it applied to entire books about Elvis, or would you criticise people like Ann-Margret or Sammy Davis Jr, both of whom talked about Elvis extensively in their autobiographies?

if people want to write a book than write it about the good times and not dwell on the bad parts of elvis life.

Then all we'd be left with is a litany of books that do not tell the whole story.

Elvis was as complicated a person as there ever was. Every story should be told ... by every person who knew him, preferrably.

If I was an Elvis associate - whether my relationship with him was strong to the end, or ended in a fight - I would have told my story when the time was right, absolutely.

I wish there were even more books out there by people who knew him.

presley31
02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Do you apply this logic to books written by the likes of Charlie Hodge (puff piece) or just to people like the MM (more truthful than most people expected)?

And is it applied to entire books about Elvis, or would you criticise people like Ann-Margret or Sammy Davis Jr, both of whom talked about Elvis extensively in their autobiographies?

Then all we'd be left with is a litany of books that do not tell the whole story.

Elvis was as complicated a person as there ever was. Every story should be told ... by every person who knew him, preferrably.

If I was an Elvis associate - whether my relationship with him was strong to the end, or ended in a fight - I would have told my story when the time was right, absolutely.

I wish there were even more books out there by people who knew him.

All the people who wrote books, mostly the friends and people who knew elvis.

presley31
02-22-2008, 06:38 PM

thanks carole(y)

utmom2008
02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
So, what do you think - do you think Rosanne will be loyal to me and not sell all my stalking adventures????
I'll either make money off of my book....or, a little blackmail money never hurt either! :lol::lol:

TotallyInsane
02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
As a fine young man once said - "do what you gotta do"!!! :D:D