PDA

View Full Version : EPE should launch their own magazine

keke23
02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Everytime I go into a grocery store or Books A Million I see all these music inspired tabloid type magazines but nothin on Elvis, the biggest star in the world.

So I'm thinkin how cool it'd be to see an official EPE magazine on news stands.

They could build it around Elvis, Graceland and his music and career.

They could include pics of unseen rare artifacts and behind the scenes of Graceland and the new expansion development.

Each month they could do an interview with big name stars that love and admire and respect Elvis, like Beyonce, Faith Hill, JT, 3 Six Mafia, Vince Vaughn, etc.

Sillerman could have a section for the show, American Idol to help sell Elvis as well.

The more they include today's stars, the more it would sell and reach today's youth who worship those stars.

Beyonce fans have changed their opinion about Elvis just by her bein on his show. I posted a message on her BW forum about the upcomin 2-dvd release of the ABC show VLV and possibly bonus footage bein included on the 2nd disc and they were sayin they're gonna get it because of Beyonce.

JT fans would do the same if he were a part of somethin Elvis related.

I'm keepin my fingers crossed that EPE gets JT to bring his very popular restaurant, Southern Hospitality to Graceland, since they got plans for upscale restaurants.

Every teenage girl in America would come, lol.

EPE needs to be more creative in their marketing department if they wanna reach a new generation of fans and make Elvis hip and cool.

Don't yall think this would be a cool way to draw interest to Elvis?

presley31
02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I think EPE got to much in there hands to think about magazines at the moment and plus they update there wesbite and myspace quite often.

ksimms2
02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
they have something sort of - called Elvis Insiders - where we have to pay to be a member and they have the artifacts, etc. on their web site.

keke23
02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Yall aint seein the full picture.

A magazine with Elvis and today's stars would be much more successful than their Insiders.

Plus, who actually knows about their site if they aint out promotin it and him to interest folks?

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
they have something sort of - called Elvis Insiders - where we have to pay to be a member and they have the artifacts, etc. on their web site.
and they post "real" facts and updates! (y)

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM

A magazine with Elvis and today's stars would be much more successful than their Insiders.

Plus, who actually knows about their site if they aint out promotin it and him to interest folks?
keke23...don't take this the wrong way, but,.......did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today? :lol::lol: ;)

presley31
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
and they post "real" facts and updates! (y)

yeah which you have to pay for which is a shame since some can't afford it or don't own a credit card.

ksimms2
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM

Lakeisha, I can understand what you are saying....and I agree it would be nice to have an EPE authorized magazine that we could buy monthly and they could give us the latest news on Elvis, etc. A good idea....will they do it??? Probably not.....but yes they should - then they could keep us updated on the Graceland Expansion thing......:king:

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 01:51 PM
A good idea....will they do it??? Probably not.....but yes they should - then they could keep us updated on the Graceland Expansion thing......:king:

I agree that it would be a GREAT way to keep us up on what is really going on behind the scenes with Sillerman and Soden.(y) But, like you, I don't see it happening anytime soon either.:blink:

KPM
02-13-2008, 02:44 PM

That may or may not be true. Young people today IMO are very very fickle-Tom Jones had a small career upswing about 7, 8 years ago with young people MTV discovered him he had the album "The Lead and How to Swing It"and he was hot. It did not last. Tony Bennett also had a upswing with young people on MTV and a DUETS album-it did not last. So the idea a continuing publication would draw young people is "IFFY" Perhaps something semi annual might have a chance but a monthly publication would not IMO.
The real fans of longstanding would buy more than the young people. Young people today do not latch onto artists and stick with them like in the 50s,
60s and 70s.
My daughters went from Micheal Jackson, to Madonna, to Whitney Houston, to Alannis Morrisette and Jewel- to the Dave Mathews band. All were the flavor of the month for a year or so. Now my oldest daughter has been into the Beatles and John Lennon for about 3 years and at 23 she is no longer a teenager. My son is 25 and he buys a little of everything-magazines do not influence him- the sound of music he likes does.

keke23
02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
That may or may not be true. Young people today IMO are very very fickle-Tom Jones had a small career upswing about 7, 8 years ago with young people MTV discovered him he had the album "The Lead and How to Swing It"and he was hot. It did not last. Tony Bennett also had a upswing with young people on MTV and a DUETS album-it did not last. So the idea a continuing publication would draw young people is "IFFY" Perhaps something semi annual might have a chance but a monthly publication would not IMO.
The real fans of longstanding would buy more than the young people. Young people today do not latch onto artists and stick with them like in the 50s,
60s and 70s.
My daughters went from Micheal Jackson, to Madonna, to Whitney Houston, to Alannis Morrisette and Jewel- to the Dave Mathews band. All were the flavor of the month for a year or so. Now my oldest daughter has been into the Beatles and John Lennon for about 3 years and at 23 she is no longer a teenager. My son is 25 and he buys a little of everything-magazines do not influence him- the sound of music he likes does.

You're basin all that on your daughter's taste?

Anyway, it would work because whoever's hot today would be who would be helpin to sell it and kids who like those artists would be the ones buyin it, not daughters of moms who are fans.

I think some of yall have been Elvis fans so long that it's engraved into your minds that the world resolves around him, when it don't.

I love Elvis, but I aint gonna lie.....I only care for keepin him popular with a newer crowd because he's a Memphian who brings in revenue for the city and keeps Memphis on the tourist map.

And the more he stays popular, the more visitors come to Memphis to take in the Elvis world experience" and discover his legacy which keeps Graceland a hot attraction, and that means more needed money for the strugglin economy here.

That's why I am 1,000% for the expansion.

The bigger, the better as far as tourism is concerned.

keke23
02-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Somethin some of yall aint realizin also. Music is seen differntly in America form other countries. So what someone likes in the UK may not be so liked here.

For instance, Kelly Rowland, of DC, aint even that popular as a solo artist in the states, but in the UK she's as big as Beyonce is.

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Everytime I go into a grocery store or Books A Million I see all these music inspired tabloid type magazines but nothin on Elvis, the biggest star in the world.

They could include pics of unseen rare artifacts and behind the scenes of Graceland and the new expansion development.

Each month they could do an interview with big name stars that love and admire and respect Elvis, like Beyonce, Faith Hill, JT, 3 Six Mafia, Vince Vaughn, etc.

Sillerman could have a section for the show, American Idol to help sell Elvis as well.

The more they include today's stars, the more it would sell and reach today's youth who worship those stars.

Beyonce fans have changed their opinion about Elvis just by her bein on his show. I posted a message on her BW forum about the upcomin 2-dvd release of the ABC show VLV and possibly bonus footage bein included on the 2nd disc and they were sayin they're gonna get it because of Beyonce.

I'm keepin my fingers crossed that EPE gets JT to bring his very popular restaurant, Southern Hospitality to Graceland, since they got plans for upscale restaurants.

EPE needs to be more creative in their marketing department if they wanna reach a new generation of fans and make Elvis hip and cool.

Breaking News for Keke

Elvis invented hip and cool!

goodelvisgirl
02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
well there are alot of young elvis fans around the world and a magazine would be good to keep us updated but probably they don't have the time but a magazaine was out every 2 weeks or every month not that long ago and everyone was buying it and was about the man the music the movies the legacy and it had artifacts in the magazine

SeeSeeRider777
02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
They wont do it because after a while they will run out of things to say.

EP75
02-13-2008, 06:23 PM

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea!!!!(y)(y)(y):notworthy:notworthy:notworthy It would be so nice to go to the bookstore or Publix and see an EP magazine for everyone to see.:) But that being said, I doubt it will happen. EPE has proven time and time again that they only care about saving money and forcing the fans who want anything to pay and arm and leg to get it. Hence their ripoff fan club setup with the Insiders.(n)(n)(n)

However now that there's a new leader in charge, things could be much different in the next 5 years when marketing and promoting EP.(y)

EP75
02-13-2008, 06:24 PM
They wont do it because after a while they will run out of things to say.

How could they possibly run out of things to say concerning the most recognizable face to walk the planet?:supriced:

TotallyInsane
02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm sure there will be many changes in the next five years which will include higher prices!!

SeeSeeRider777
02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
How could they possibly run out of things to say concerning the most recognizable face to walk the planet?:supriced:

How much are you going to talk about his carrer and graceland and all the other stuff? I cant see this mag being a long term thing.

EP75
02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I think that is why EPE has "The Insiders". "They could include pics of unseen rare artifacts and behind the scenes of Graceland and the new expansion development." - it's all on the Insiders. They also mail out a newsletter "Through The Gates" each quarter. Along with all this, there are discounts for merchandise, etc. Here is some of the news:

This spring, you'll see a whole new look to the shopping center just to the north of the entrance to the Graceland parking area. In addition to Souvenirs of Elvis, the Graceland Harley-Davidson Shop and the Rock 'n' Roll Cafť, the Graceland Crossing shopping center will also be the home of the '68 Special exhibit and shop and the Private Presley exhibit. Also new to this area is the Everything Elvis shop which will offer a great selection of Elvis gifts and merchandise. A kick-off event is planned for late March.
To help share the excitement of this transformation and installation of three new exhibits, Graceland Archives Director, Angie Marchese, will be posting blog entries here in the news section of elvis.com, so check back for regular updates.

Be sure to check out EXCLUSIVE pictures of the new exhibits at www.elvisinsiders.com. If you're not an Elvis Insider, join today! When you join The Official Elvis Insiders, youíll receive discounts and get access to rarely seen Elvis Presley photos, Graceland artifacts, Elvis video clips and rare documents from the Graceland archives are just a few of the exclusive items you'll have access to as an Official Elvis Insider.

FEBRUARY 12, 2008
Hey everybody, there is plenty of activity at Graceland these days, especially in Archives, WOW, we are ALL on the move. We are starting the transformation and creation of three new exhibit areas that are sure to knock your socks off, or my archival gloves, when you see them!

We just put the final touches on the new VIP Tour exhibit yesterday. We dug deep into the Graceland Archives for this re-vamp of the VIP Tour exhibit area. For the first time ever we are displaying the living room furniture from Elvis and Priscilla's honeymoon hideaway in Palm Springs, truly a blast from the past with this vintage furniture display.
Another favorite of mine in this exhibit is a collection of photos from the first-ever professional photo shoot with Elvis. In 1955 Elvis posed for William Speers here in Memphis and this portion of the VIP exhibit allows visitors to see the original proofs from that shoot that have Elvisí handwriting on the back, indicating his favorites.

I would write more, but it is back to work for me and the Archives staff. Check back soon for more updates in our news blog.

Angie

FEBRUARY 13, 2008
Itís another day and a different side of the street. We are now over at Graceland Crossing working on the installation Private Presley. Before we could even start thinking about putting up camouflage netting and exhibit text panels, we first had to de-install the Elvis After Dark exhibit, hopefully you all had the chance to see it. Oh my, that was a job. Following typical Graceland Archives protocol, all of the artifacts were delicately packed away in acid free tissue and boxes, then loaded onto a truck and back to storage until they are needed.

Now the space is ready for a new coat of paint, Army Green of course, then itís off to the races for our Archives staff. We have three days to turn this space into Private Presley. Looks like a mess right now but we are starting to get a feel of what it will look like as test paint and camouflage nets are going up on the walls as we speak, itís all coming together nicely, and the good news is that itís still on schedule!

Angie

FEBRUARY 13, 2008
Less the 48 hours to go. Things here at Private Presley are going along smoothly. Just a few more photos and a couple more yards of netting to hang and we can start dressing mannequins. Was going through some of our Army documents to pick some out for exhibit and found a letter sent to Vernon and Elvis from Elvis's grandfather Jesse. He basically catches them up on what was going on state side in Louisville . Also found a rough draft of a article from Family Circle titled "Has the Army Changed Elvis?" It was really cool to read a first hand account from Elvis's troop leader in Germany.
Now comes the task of deciding what documents to use and how they fit into the story. While working on the text for the exhibit I realized the like this year, 1960 was a leap year. How? Elvis's last day in was Feb. 29,1960. Well, better get the white gloves on and get back to work.

Angie

Latest artifacts:
2008 is the 40th anniversary of the first airing Elvis's 1968 television special. This extravagant entertainment special features Elvis in some of his greatest and best-loved moments captured on video. Elvis's informal jamming in front of a small audience is regarded as a forerunner of the "unplugged" concept, later popularized by MTV. This is one of Elvis's song lists from the show.

Rare photo from Elvis's assignment to the 3rd Armored Division in Germany.

This is the third time in less than 12 hours that this same report has been posted in three different threads.:hmm:

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
This is the third time in less than 12 hours that this same report has been posted in three different threads.:hmm:
:lol::lol::lol: And your point is????? Surely you are not tired of reading the same thing over and over are you??? ;);)

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:24 PM
60s and 70s.
I agree with you KPM.(y) I have 2 kids that are older than LaKei23...and they both fit in the mold you are describing.

EP75
02-13-2008, 09:26 PM
:lol::lol::lol: And your point is????? Surely you are not tired of reading the same thing over and over are you??? ;);)

No I'm not. But I don't post the exact same thing three times in one day either if that's what you are alluding too.

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I think some of yall have been Elvis fans so long that it's engraved into your minds that the world resolves around him, when it don't.

:hmm: All this time I could have sworn that it did.;)

I love Elvis, but I aint gonna lie.....I only care for keepin him popular with a newer crowd because he's a Memphian who brings in revenue for the city and keeps Memphis on the tourist map.

:supriced:I am stunned.....all this time I thought that this poster cared about Elvis.:supriced::supriced: I guess the truth has come out!:supriced:

SeeSeeRider777
02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
His memory is not to be kept alive because he is from Memphis, his memory is supposed to be kept alive because he is the King.

JDD
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
That would be Craptastic!

I'm sure some folks would like it though . I doubt it would be profitable on the news stand.

JD

EP75
02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
His memory is not to be kept alive because he is from Memphis, his memory is supposed to be kept alive because he is the King.

I know what you mean and I agree. But some people in Memphis may differ.

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Very well said!! (y)(y)(y)

SeeSeeRider777
02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Would Keke care about Elvis even if he lets say wasnt a Memphian? If you only care because he was from Memphis, then IMO they are not an Elvis fan. Elvis' memory is supposed to be kept alive because Elvis is a world Icon, Elvis was a trend setter, Elvis could sing any kind of music, Elvis holds many records and most of all he was a caring man. Even with all that Elvis didnt have a huge ego and he didnt care about the fans like some artist of today do. I dont understand how a musican can be so snot nosed to the people that put money in your pocket. Another thing you guys know how musicans of today have these crazy demands like the room has to be at a certain temperature or the walls have to be a certain color, "My boy, my boy" Elvis all he asked for was water and a full length mirror. Also Elvis didnt get involved with politics. That is important because you keep your opinion to yourself and you do not upset anybody. Musicans today should take a lesson from the true superstar. Elvis will never have the title of the "King" taken away from him, no matter what records anyone else sets. Elvis did everything before everyone else.

Unchained Melody
02-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I would rather them focus on releasing top quality movies with unreleased footage and more unreleased audio from concerts, studio sessions, and private recordings..(y)

utmom2008
02-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Would Keke care about Elvis even if he lets say wasnt a Memphian? If you only care because he was from Memphis, then IMO they are not an Elvis fan. Elvis' memory is supposed to be kept alive because Elvis is a world Icon,

I have been asking myself that same question SeeSEe.:hmm::doh: I'm not quite sure how some of that crowd sees themselves in relation to Elvis.:blink:

jak
02-14-2008, 03:11 AM
I have a trunk in my garage that contains hundreds of old Elvis mags.They used to be all the rage years ago.An official EPE mag published regulary just isnt a good idea.First and foremost it would be a financial bomb.In the this day and age of the internet it's hard to launch a succesfull magazine.Any news in it would be way outdated by the time it hit the stands.Everything in the mag would have been posted on the net prior.What are you going to fill the pages with?This is the same situation that has basically transformed the Elvis fan clubs over the years.How many of us anxiously await our newsletters in the mail anymore?Elvis mags use to be everywhere.They would still be there if they had kept selling.They dont so you dont see them anymore.The same goes for Elvis books also.The market is pretty much tapped out.After 30 years the market was bound to dry up.
Jak

TotallyInsane
02-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Would you buy one more if me and Rosanne write a book? :):)

This was a great post, by the way. I agree with everything you say! Even back in the day of getting fan club newsletters, they struggled to find enough at times to make a newsletter - so imagine it would be pretty tough now days!! Besides, like you say, before it could hit the stands it would be on the internet already!!

jak
02-14-2008, 03:43 AM

This was a great post, by the way. I agree with everything you say! Even back in the day of getting fan club newsletters, they struggled to find enough at times to make a newsletter - so imagine it would be pretty tough now days!! Besides, like you say, before it could hit the stands it would be on the internet already!!

If you and Rosanne write a book I will be the first in line for a copy!The memories of the people who saw Elvis are far more interesting than most of the stuff written anymore.
Jak

Donut
02-14-2008, 06:07 AM

:blink: Pardon?????

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

cprimm
02-14-2008, 09:12 AM

I apologize to you and everyone else for posting something that had already been posted. At one time, I stopped posting anything on this forum because I did not want to start an argument or have someone belittle me because of something that I said.

So, your point is taken. Hope you never post something that has already been posted!

PS: I deleted the post, so now it only shows up in your post.

presley31
02-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I apologize to you and everyone else for posting something that had already been posted. At one time, I stopped posting anything on this forum because I did not want to start an argument or have someone belittle me because of something that I said.

So, your point is taken. Hope you never post something that has already been posted!

Don't take a offense to some comments. me and Jungleroom(MOD) had the same run in last night so it tends to happen sometimes. It would be easy if we had one thread or all graceland stuff that way there no confusion.

utmom2008
02-14-2008, 09:25 AM
If you and Rosanne write a book I will be the first in line for a copy!The memories of the people who saw Elvis are far more interesting than most of the stuff written anymore.
Jak
When we write our book Jak we will put you in charge of our book tour! (y)(y)

keke23
02-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Would Keke care about Elvis even if he lets say wasnt a Memphian? If you only care because he was from Memphis, then IMO they are not an Elvis fan. Elvis' memory is supposed to be kept alive because Elvis is a world Icon, Elvis was a trend setter, Elvis could sing any kind of music, Elvis holds many records and most of all he was a caring man. Even with all that Elvis didnt have a huge ego and he didnt care about the fans like some artist of today do. I dont understand how a musican can be so snot nosed to the people that put money in your pocket. Another thing you guys know how musicans of today have these crazy demands like the room has to be at a certain temperature or the walls have to be a certain color, "My boy, my boy" Elvis all he asked for was water and a full length mirror. Also Elvis didnt get involved with politics. That is important because you keep your opinion to yourself and you do not upset anybody. Musicans today should take a lesson from the true superstar. Elvis will never have the title of the "King" taken away from him, no matter what records anyone else sets. Elvis did everything before everyone else.

Firs of all, I do care about Elvis or I wouldn't be here talkin about him. I just don't worship him as a God as some folks do, and do here.

I used to live in WH, my grandfather lived there, my mom grew up there, and my BFF lived there as well. So I don't wanna see my old hood become a ghetto like Orange Mound has.

As for the mag, I still think it's a much better idea than what they're doin now with Elvis. They aint gettin him out like they should and in the long run....it'll cost them and Sillerman.

Yall say it aint gonna happen. Who knows what's gonna happen now that there's new ownership over the estate? Sillerman could fire the entire staff if he wants to, and I still think he will after he gets everything built and ready to open.

IMO, this is just the calm before the storm hits, and hits hard, concernin how EPE is ran in the next 5 years.

So my point is anything is possible now. I;m just sayin this mag would work ONLY if they include today's top artists who like Elvis to help pimp it.

utmom2008
02-14-2008, 09:30 AM

I was about to say the same thing Gail. I got out 2 years worth of "Strictly Elvis" the other night.....24 issues from 72 and 73. It was so funny to read some of the things that made Headline News in those monthly mags. A BIG paragraph would read "Elvis closed at the The Las Vegas Hilton on Sept. 4th after another highly successful Vegas run". And my favorite.....2 whole pages were devoted to reviewing Side A and Side B of the latest single! And to think we paid the big bucks back then to belong to those fan clubs!! :D

keke23
02-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I have a trunk in my garage that contains hundreds of old Elvis mags.They used to be all the rage years ago.An official EPE mag published regulary just isnt a good idea.First and foremost it would be a financial bomb.In the this day and age of the internet it's hard to launch a succesfull magazine.Any news in it would be way outdated by the time it hit the stands.Everything in the mag would have been posted on the net prior.What are you going to fill the pages with?This is the same situation that has basically transformed the Elvis fan clubs over the years.How many of us anxiously await our newsletters in the mail anymore?Elvis mags use to be everywhere.They would still be there if they had kept selling.They dont so you dont see them anymore.The same goes for Elvis books also.The market is pretty much tapped out.After 30 years the market was bound to dry up.
Jak

Tell that to Oprah and her fans.

Her mag is very successful and one of the top sellers in the world, or at least here in the states it is.

utmom2008
02-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Her mag is very successful and one of the top sellers in the world, or at least here in the states it is.
She also targets a certain demographic group. I watch her show some, but I'm not about to spend money on her magazine. I think my hubs would run away from home if that's what I bought for the latest "library" edition. :lol:

TotallyInsane
02-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Maybe we'll have to check out her magazine 30 years after she's gone and see where it's at then.

KPM
02-14-2008, 11:31 AM

Oprah is on 5 days a week! Oprah has the luxury of self promotion for anything and everything she does just by that fact. Oprah is very much alive and in the top of her career. Its once again comparing- apples and oranges.

presley31
02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I think epe has enough updates for everyone. I don't feel they need a mag.