PDA

View Full Version : Something I wrote in my blog about Elvis during his death anniversary

Ronn
01-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Elvis was my first idea of a handsome man. I clearly remember the very first time I saw his face on the tv screen, just like Melinda Newman when she first learned of Elvis' death, I remember exactly what I was doing when I first saw his face. I was being dressed by my mom! and I was only 7. I saw this strikingly handsome figure, singing and playing the guitar. It was 1977, the year he died, but the birth of my admiration for him.

Sure, I went through my teenage years listening to Madonna, Jacko, Duran Duran, Spandau and I admire them all, but nobody comes close to Elvis. My parents couldn't relate to me. My mom said Elvis' music is too loud for her taste, she went to a few Elvis movies but never liked it. All she can remember about the movies are the sounds of shrieking girls everytime Elvis is on screen! My dad favor the likes of Tony Bennet, Johnny Mattis and Platters so they really can't figure out why their daughter likes Elvis.

I was a secret Elvis fan during my high schoold days, only my closest friends know. I didn't want to be different so I joined most of the girls and said yes -- Scott Baio and Michael J Fox are handsome -- but, deep inside it's Elvis for me.

In college, I discovered there were others like me. I met another fan and another and another...I got hooked.

I read everything about Elvis, listened to every record, watched anything about him. And before I hit the age of 20 my conversion was complete.

I enjoyed his movies, but its the live concerts that strikes me more. I've watched "Aloha from Hawaii," "That's the Way It Is" more than once, but I never got tired of it. I still get goose-pimples everytime I watch. I agree to most writers when they say that the "'68 Comeback Special" sealed his title as the King of Rock and Roll, it was even more for me -- It sealed my love for Elvis Presley. Clad in black leather jacket, strutting, singing, laughing -- how I wish to be taken back in time, just to be there, watch, listen, admire...

And that voice, how I love it. I love his rock and roll songs, but I love his slow materials more. I was never fond of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," but when I heard Elvis' version I felt the power of the song. I am always moved by his music, his powerful voice. There's just so much feelings when it's sung by Elvis.

When I feel down, sad and simply not in the mood all I need to do is listen to Elvis music and everything is fine.

It's his death anniversay tomorrow, fans like me once again revisit the reasons why 30 years after his death Elvis Presley is still very much around.

Elvis will never leave the building.

May God bless his soul. You are sincerely missed. Elvis Forever

mistymorning
01-24-2008, 05:36 AM
sincerely told loving tribute ! I share your feelings for elvis too ! It's so nice to hear stories which show real love and devoation for our eternal love and idol elvis presley !

john carpenter
01-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm a 43 year old male, and when Elvis died i was twelve. I knew my Mom liked Elvis in the 50's, and the day he died she called a few people and told them he passed away. I saw all the reports on tv that day on his death. And the next day they had the story in the newspaper. I kept the paper (for some reason) usually i threw it out. I listened to his music all that week, and became a fan. My mother to this day can't understand the "hold' Elvis has on me. I can't explain it either. All i can say is in my darkest days,when i'm depresssed about something, i can listen to Elvis and my day is a little brighter. I'll be a fan untill i die and go to meet God and Elvis in heaven.

LianaKaralivanou
01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
All the stories here are so touching. I,too share those feelings for Elvis and I always will. If only he knew how deeply he has touched our hearts, he would have been so happy. 30 years after his death and here we are talking about him, listening to his songs, crying for his death. I'm so happy that i'm not the only one who feels that way about him and I'm thrilled that I am a member of this forum. So, lets always have him in our minds and hearts and never let him go...

MissyM
01-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Wonderfully written, and I "get it". I think we all do.

Miss Clawdy
01-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I loved your stories Ronn and John and yes, I "get it" too.

LORRIELOVESELVIS
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
VERY NICE......THANKS...LOL.....(y)

AHM1977
01-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Very nice..... a true tribute to the king (and the fans).......