PDA

View Full Version : RCA Press Statement, 1969

seaward
01-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm new to this forum, just joined because I think this is a great forum. I have been on other forums but left them because the posts turned into nothing but foul trash. I prefer a much more sensible forum.

Anyway, I have a curious question that may be hard to answer but I will ask it anyway.... In the summer of 1969, RCA reported that Presley had 47 million-selling singles worldwide including their latest release at that time "In the Ghetto". Does anyone know which Elvis songs were on that list? Or does anyone have the initial list of 47 million-sellers that RCA talks about?

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm new to this forum, just joined because I think this is a great forum. I have been on other forums but left them because the posts turned into nothing but foul trash. I prefer a much more sensible forum.

Welcome seaward!:D This is a great board...it can turn negative on occasion, so if that happens don't let anyone scare you off!! There is a great mix here!;);)

cameron
01-01-2008, 02:02 PM

Anyway, I have a curious question that may be hard to answer but I will ask it anyway.... In the summer of 1969, RCA reported that Presley had 47 million-selling singles worldwide including their latest release at that time "In the Ghetto". Does anyone know which Elvis songs were on that list? Or does anyone have the initial list of 47 million-sellers that RCA talks about?

I have no answer to your question, but I'm sure others will as they get here.

Amen, to some posts turning into trash and leaving.
It does seem to happen in these forums, doesn't it?
Sensible is encouraged ...;)

Raised on Rock
01-01-2008, 03:23 PM

Canīt answer your question, mmm... but maybe checking out at the songs released on Elvis Golden Records Vol 1-4 plus th e tracks on Vol 5 released prior to In The Ghetto will give you an idea. Talking about the original track list no the track list on the 90's expanded versions of them.

P.S. Welcome to the show here.

MissyM
01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't know. But I'm sure someone can find out. This is a great place for that. These people know their stuff. I used to think this place was kind of crazy when I was on another forum. Now this place looks sane and the other to me seems too wild. Welcome.

seaward
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I look foreward to posting and reading more threads on this forum with you all and hopefully many more.

Regading the topic, I was beginning to wonder if the 47 million-sellers that RCA stated are the same songs as the ones from the 1970 double LP "Wordwide Gold Awards Hits". When I looked up the tracklisting for this album and counted, it so happened to be that "In the Ghetto" was track 47 of the 50 songs. All I know is that for RCA to make such a statement, they must of had a list of the million-sellers... A list that someone might know of or has.

Incase some of you are wondering why I like to know what songs RCA was talking about, well, no big reason. I'm just a curious fan who enjoys researching musical facts on Elvis. I enjoy it and it's fun.

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Incase some of you are wondering why I like to know what songs RCA was talking about, well, no big reason. I'm just a curious fan who enjoys researching musical facts on Elvis. I enjoy it and it's fun.

No explanation is needed....I think it's great!(y)(y)

KPM
01-02-2008, 12:48 PM
In 1970 RCA released " Elvis's World Wide 50 Gold Award Hits" (vol. 1) a four album set
So that list might shed some light on what you want to know.
Here is the track listing:
Side One
"Heartbreak Hotel"
"I Was The One"
"I Want You I Need You I Love You"
"Don't Be Cruel"
"Hound Dog"
"Love Me Tender"

Side Two
"Any Way You Want Me"
"Too Much"
"Playing For Keeps"
"All Shook Up"
"That's When Your Heartaches Begin"
"Loving You"

Side Three
"Teddy Bear"
"Jailhouse Rock"
"Treat Me Nice"
"I Beg Of You"
"Don't"
"Wear My Ring Around Your Neck"
"Hard Headed Woman"

Side Four
"I Got Stung"
"Fool Such As I"
"Big Hunk O' Love"
"Stuck On You"
"Mess Of Blues"
"It's Now Or Never"

Side Five
"I Gotta Know"
"Are You Lonesome Tonight"
"Surrender"
"I Feel So Bad"
"Little Sister"
"Can't Help Falling In Love"

Side Six
"Rock-A-Hula Baby"
"Anything That's Part Of You"
"Good Luck Charm"
"She's Not You"
"Return To Sender"
"Where Do You Come From"
"One broken Heart For Sale"

Side Seven
"Devil In Disguise"
"Bossa Nova Baby"
"Kissin' Cousins"
"Viva Las Vegas"
"Ain't That Loving You Baby"
"Wooden Heart"

Side Eight
"Crying In The Chapel"
"If I Can Dream"
"In The Ghetto"
"Suspicious Minds"
"Don't Cry Daddy"
"Kentucky Rain"
"Excerpts From "Elvis Sails" Interview"
Don't know if these first 47 are the ones they announced in 69- but it would have to be similar I would think.

MissyM
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Well thar ya go!

seaward
01-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks KPM, I am beginning to think that the tracklisting you listed are, in fact, the songs that RCA was talking about. Speaking of Worldwide Gold Award Hits, it's strange that RCA did not include the song "Girl Of My Best Friend". I read somewhere that it was a successful hit in Europe, like "Wooden Heart".