PDA

View Full Version : Elvis singing Bob Dylan's songs...

Rover
01-01-2008, 04:01 AM
I know only 2 songs written by Dylan that Elvis sang: Tomorrow is a long time, and Don't think twice it's alright. Both are really amazing...I wanted to know if he covered more Dylan songs?

Getlo
01-01-2008, 04:10 AM
He did play around with Blowin' In the Wind, available on the Platinum boxed set. It is not a formal recording.

And remember, Don't Think Twice was only an informal jam as well; they never set out to officially record it.

marijaep
01-01-2008, 04:27 AM
I love the way he sings Tomorrow Is A Long Time (y). And I must say he did it better then Dylan.
But, I give all the credit to Dylan for the wonderful lyrics!!!!!! (y)
Elvis' voice and Dylan's lyrics are a great combination! :D

Rover
01-01-2008, 07:36 AM
And remember, Don't Think Twice was only an informal jam as well; they never set out to officially record it.
Really? I came across it on youtube, and I thought it was an official release
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbeYQHWmnwA

Like Marija said, Dylan is really great when it comes to writing lyrics...and Elvis' voice singing them is wonderful material :D

Getlo
01-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Really? I came across it on youtube, and I thought it was an official release

That's not what I said. I said RCA never set out to officially record it.

It was never originally slated as part of the recording session. It was a one-off jam session that, thankfully, someone had the wherewithall to record.

But, after so many years, we still haven't heard the whole thing ...

ph10579
01-01-2008, 08:47 AM
He also sang a snippet of I shall be released by dylan. I can't remember for the life of me what cd it was off of. Maybe Walk a mile in my shoes?

Tony Trout
01-01-2008, 09:00 AM
He also sang a snippet of I shall be released by dylan. I can't remember for the life of me what cd it was off of. Maybe Walk a mile in my shoes?

You are correct. If I'm not mistaken, I also read in "Elvis: His Life From A To Z" that he also sang Dylan's "She Belongs To Me" in concert...

Getlo
01-01-2008, 09:11 AM
You are correct. If I'm not mistaken, I also read in "Elvis: His Life From A To Z" that he also sang Dylan's "She Belongs To Me" in concert...

If he did, it would have only been a one-liner.

And, aside from the notoriously out of date A-Z book, there is no other reference for this.

Tony Trout
01-01-2008, 09:21 AM
If he did, it would have only been a one-liner.

And, aside from the notoriously out of date A-Z book, there is no other reference for this.

You're correct, Getlo. And yes, "Elvis: His Life From A To Z" is badly out of date and needs revamping....