PDA

View Full Version : Photo after the lost of Gladys

elvis himselvis
11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
The Presleys were private,and that's normal for such a star,but what I don't get is why did Elvis and Vernon let themself photographed while they where crying about the lost of Gladys...????
It don't look like it's taken without knowing ,so does anybody know more info about that picture of Elvis and Vernon crying..?

JDD
11-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't think he was all that private to be honest with you. He had 10 - 15 people living with him at all times. He always seemed to need people around him.

cameron
11-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't know anymore about those pictures. Just seems the reporters, etc. tried to catch every facet of a stars life...:'(
To me, that would be strictly "off limits."

SleepyJack
11-02-2007, 04:51 PM
I`ll never understand why the media can`t just leave people alone at times like that....or maybe it just seems worse to ordinary people beacause we don`t have it around us all the time.....The photos are heartbreaking.

Diane
11-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes the photos are heartbreaking but the media is heartless. :'(

Diane

marijaep
11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes the photos are heartbreaking but the media is heartless. :'(

Diane

I agree :'(:'(:'(

presley31
11-02-2007, 06:06 PM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/jennabackstrom/scan0007.jpg

This picture is so heartbreaking to see elvis and vernon look so lost and upset.

Getlo
11-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I remember reading (or was it watching?) the photographer talking about this famous shot of Vernon comforting Elvis.

As I recall - and my memory may be hazy here - the snapper was invited onto the grounds of Graceland (this is definite) , and that Vernon gave his permission for it to be published (this may be my memory playing tricks on me).

But I cannot for the life of me remember the snapper's name ...

SleepyJack
11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I think that right there was one of the most life-altering moments of his entire life.

Lisarose
11-02-2007, 08:04 PM
The Presleys were private,and that's normal for such a star,but what I don't get is why did Elvis and Vernon let themself photographed while they where crying about the lost of Gladys...????
It don't look like it's taken without knowing ,so does anybody know more info about that picture of Elvis and Vernon crying..?

In the early years, the Presley family were in a state of poverty, & they kept to themselves. I wouldn't classify it as private as much as I would state proud. They did not want to be pitied or singled out. They did have to ask for assistance, but so did a lot of people, a lot of their friends, neighbors and family.
In his very large photo book, Alfred Wertheimer states (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he literally followed Elvis everywhere - even into his washroom, and although Elvis gave him a questioning look -almost as if to say, "why are you following me in here?" - Elvis did not tell him to back off.
We are always reading about how fans crowded around his home and that Gladys brought them drinks and snacks, but she never told them to - well - "get the H*** off my property!" I think maybe photographers simply took for granted that it could be done (taking these very invasive photos) because it had always before been done. I think if anyone could have made the paparazzi back off, it would have been Elvis, because he had always been very generous and giving of himself and his time with fans.

meg
11-03-2007, 01:54 AM
I remember reading (or was it watching?) the photographer talking about this famous shot of Vernon comforting Elvis.

As I recall - and my memory may be hazy here - the snapper was invited onto the grounds of Graceland (this is definite) , and that Vernon gave his permission for it to be published (this may be my memory playing tricks on me).

But I cannot for the life of me remember the snapper's name ...

Jim Reid:D

Unchained Melody
11-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Very sad to look at that photo indeed. Can't imagine the heartbreak that was too Elvis and Vernon also..:'(

LORRIELOVESELVIS
11-03-2007, 07:08 PM
:'(so Sad............................................... ...

SweetCaroline
11-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Look at ELVIS' eyes...as much as they look sad...they look lost. :'(

toffe
11-04-2007, 02:57 AM
So sad picture! :'(

elvis himselvis
11-04-2007, 02:59 AM
In the early years, the Presley family were in a state of poverty, & they kept to themselves. I wouldn't classify it as private as much as I would state proud. They did not want to be pitied or singled out. They did have to ask for assistance, but so did a lot of people, a lot of their friends, neighbors and family.
In his very large photo book, Alfred Wertheimer states (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he literally followed Elvis everywhere - even into his washroom, and although Elvis gave him a questioning look -almost as if to say, "why are you following me in here?" - Elvis did not tell him to back off.
We are always reading about how fans crowded around his home and that Gladys brought them drinks and snacks, but she never told them to - well - "get the H*** off my property!" I think maybe photographers simply took for granted that it could be done (taking these very invasive photos) because it had always before been done. I think if anyone could have made the paparazzi back off, it would have been Elvis, because he had always been very generous and giving of himself and his time with fans.

Yeah maybe you're right...but I can't imagine you will allow someone to take a photo of you while you're mom just died...I find it a kind of strange...but that's my opinion.

elvis himselvis
11-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Was this picture taken on the front steps of Graceland?

Burning_Love
11-04-2007, 06:19 AM
How upsetting for him.

Sad pictures..

DodgeGal
11-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Very sad, for them both

Diane
11-04-2007, 07:01 AM
In a way I have to agree with Lisarose. The Presleys always had tons of people around and Elvis while young learned to express his feelings openly. It wasn't until later that he started to pay attention to his "image" and kept personal things from the public.

Yes Elvishimself, I believe that photo was taken on the front steps of Graceland.

Diane

Rover
11-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Such a sad pic...I hope the medias left them alone a little at that time :'(

elvis himselvis
11-05-2007, 12:38 AM
In a way I have to agree with Lisarose. The Presleys always had tons of people around and Elvis while young learned to express his feelings openly. It wasn't until later that he started to pay attention to his "image" and kept personal things from the public.

Yes Elvishimself, I believe that photo was taken on the front steps of Graceland.

Diane

Thanks Diane;)

Elvistcbkirch
11-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Yes, in front of the main-entrance. Actually there is another photo of this scene in Peter Guralnicks biography, wich indicates, that the photographer was invited, and not a paparazzi. Best regards, Martin

Elvistcbkirch
11-05-2007, 01:36 AM
The photo is taken on august 14, 1958 by James Reid. Best regards, Martin

Elvistcbkirch
11-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Actually the photographer died last year:

Memphis photographer, Jim Reid, the man responsible for two photobooks on Elvis, has passed away from lung cancer. Mr Reid was a colleague of Elvis World's Bill E. Burk at the now defunct newspaper, the Memphis Press-Scimitar.

Bill Burk tells us: "Jim was one of three Press-Scimitar photographers that Elvis liked and thus had easy access to Elvis. One of Jim's more memorable photos was a grieving Elvis and a grieving Vernon sitting on the steps of Graceland after they had buried Gladys Presley in 1958. Jim also was the Press-Scimitar photographer at Union Station when The Tennessean train pulled in on 7 March 1960, bringing Elvis home from the Army".

Jim Reid's Elvis photobooks were "Fond Memories of Elvis" and "Fond Memories of Elvis Vol. II Twenty-Three Years of Photos".

Diane
11-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the information behind the photo Martin. (y)

Diane

Nicole Presley
11-05-2007, 07:43 AM
This picture is so heartbreaking to see elvis and vernon look so lost and upset.

That picture really is sooo sad! If I would be somewhere alone now, I would have to cry. But Im in school. :'(

LovesElvis
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
As a mother myself, what I see is a hurt young boy. It breaks my heart.

utmom2008
11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Actually the photographer died last year:

Memphis photographer, Jim Reid, the man responsible for two photobooks on Elvis, has passed away from lung cancer. Mr Reid was a colleague of Elvis World's Bill E. Burk at the now defunct newspaper, the Memphis Press-Scimitar.

Bill Burk tells us: "Jim was one of three Press-Scimitar photographers that Elvis liked and thus had easy access to Elvis. One of Jim's more memorable photos was a grieving Elvis and a grieving Vernon sitting on the steps of Graceland after they had buried Gladys Presley in 1958. Jim also was the Press-Scimitar photographer at Union Station when The Tennessean train pulled in on 7 March 1960, bringing Elvis home from the Army".

Jim Reid's Elvis photobooks were "Fond Memories of Elvis" and "Fond Memories of Elvis Vol. II Twenty-Three Years of Photos".
Thanks for that bit of info Martin...I didn't know that:D

elvis himselvis
11-06-2007, 02:51 PM
yeah really great you shared that with us Martin
Thank you very much:king:

GirlHappy19
11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Poor Elvis:(You can see the pain on his face--

elvis himselvis
11-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Poor Elvis:(You can see the pain on his face--

He really was shocked...I think he couldn't believe his mother has died...some say he actually died after the lost of his mother...do you agree with this statement?

Getlo
11-07-2007, 04:19 AM
He really was shocked...I think he couldn't believe his mother has died...some say he actually died after the lost of his mother...do you agree with this statement?

Not unless he took nineteen years to slowly die!

So, no.

Diane
11-07-2007, 07:10 AM
I agree with Getlo. Yes Elvis lost someone very dear and important to him that day but he went on with his life. I'm not saying it didn't change something in him permanently but that happens to anyone that loses someone of importance in their life.

Diane

Getlo
11-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Yes Elvis lost someone very dear and important to him that day but he went on with his life.

Exactly. Gladys' death was devastating, but he moved through it and had some great, happy moments.

And if Lisa wasn't enough reason for the man to keep living, I don't know what was.

Part of Elvis died with Gladys, certainly ... but her death did not contribute to his death in the least.

elvis himselvis
11-07-2007, 07:26 AM
I also think that statement is not correct.
It really broke his heart and always would hold his heart broken,but I think when the years went on he more and more missed her...with some other problems along and still sad about the lost of his mother,I think he finally died because of alot of sadness...

Getlo
11-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Nobody actually dies of a broken heart! That's the stuff of romance novels and wishful thinking.

presley31
11-07-2007, 07:33 AM
I also think that statement is not correct.
It really broke his heart and always would hold his heart broken,but I think when the years went on he more and more missed her...with some other problems along and still sad about the lost of his mother,I think he finally died because of alot of sadness...

I really don't think he died of a broken heart, mind you l had heard of people dying shortly after there love ones die, but not in the case, gladys was gone when elvis was in the army and he also had some great times with lisa was born and growing up.

MissyM
11-07-2007, 08:25 AM
I do think that she was a stabilizing force in his life though and that he was effected because of that. Kind of like a domino effect.

Diane
11-07-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm sure your are right about that Missy, Gladys was the stabilizing force in Elvis' life and I would agree with the domino affect but also as Getlo said, he had Lisa and his career that kept him going but not in the same direction as he would have had his mother lived.

Diane