PDA

View Full Version : Elvis and drugs

senadw124
10-22-2007, 07:47 AM
When do you think that people could start to see that Elvis was addicted to drugs, and why?
I've heard People mention 1970 like a start, but I mean it was around 1972, especially on 'On Tour'.

What do you think? :blink:

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I think we've discussed this until we are blue in the face :blink: and if you read other threads you'll find out more than you probably want to.

No disrespect on this either...seriously. When you start discussing Elvis and drugs it doesn't turn out pretty.....;)

jak
10-22-2007, 08:14 AM
When you start discussing Elvis and drugs it doesn't turn out pretty....

That's a nice way of putting it.Not for the squeamish.
Jak

utmom2008
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
When you start discussing Elvis and drugs it doesn't turn out pretty....

That's a nice way of putting it.Not for the squeamish.
Jak
I agree...let's focus on the positive side. Everyone has a different opinion, let's leave it at that. I love him. therefore I can't stand all the "drug" talk. It doesn't put anyone in a better mood........
www.youtube.com/utmom2008

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
I didn't say it so we don't discuss it....I said it because we've discussed this in other threads over and over and over.....we've said all there is to say. I don't mind discussing it - as it was part of Elvis - and we have to accept every part of him if we truly love him. But enough already - there are so many threads on this subject.

Once again, no offense to the person who originally started this particular thread. Go back and look through some threads and there is so much there feel free to jump in on those threads. Can't remember the topics at the moment, one is the one about the FBI files.

presley31
10-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I didn't say it so we don't discuss it....I said it because we've discussed this in other threads over and over and over.....we've said all there is to say. I don't mind discussing it - as it was part of Elvis - and we have to accept every part of him if we truly love him. But enough already - there are so many threads on this subject.

Once again, no offense to the person who originally started this particular thread. Go back and look through some threads and there is so much there feel free to jump in on those threads. Can't remember the topics at the moment, one is the one about the FBI files.

the thread about elvis and coke is where you'll find everything out about drugs and such. IMO these types of threads turns nasty sometimes.

MojoElvis
10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I think back in the early 70s it was easy to hide. There wasn't any video tapes for the average household to lookback and study. Also all the drug users of the 60s got real jobs in the 70s, that meant reporters as well. So they were able to spot a drug user (it takes one to know one).
Elvis did what he had to do at the time and the only way to wind down was to get high. That is a fact no matter how you look at it. It doesn't take away from his awesome voice, the awesome person he was, it's just what he was into and we shouldn't judge him for it.

senadw124
10-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, I'm sorry guys my fault. I'm writing a essay about it, and I forgot that you could search for the threads.

Sorry again :D

presley31
10-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Well, I'm sorry guys my fault. I'm writing a essay about it, and I forgot that you could search for the threads.

no need for sorry. you didn't know:hug:

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 08:47 AM

yes, no need to be sorry at all.....there should be plenty of threads for you to do essay from....also...maybe read one of the elvis books. I recommend, "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" personally. There are those that hate the MM, but I liked this book it told both his good and bad sides. (y)

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 08:49 AM
When do you think that people could start to see that Elvis was addicted to drugs, and why?
I've heard People mention 1970 like a start, but I mean it was around 1972, especially on 'On Tour'.

my personal opinion on this, and not from fact per say, but just from what I have read in here, late 72 or early 73. His best years in my opinion are late 60's/early 70's (70/71)...and he looked his best then too.....

Gerianne
10-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Whenever I meet anyone and they find out I'm an Elvis fan, they always bring up the subject of him and the drugs and this really annoys me a lot. So in the future if anyone says this to me, I'm going to tell them what a kind human being he was, so generous to everyone he knew, and those he didn't know. I'm going to bring up the charity work that he did and other good things like that. I'm going to make them feel small for thinking that it is always the drugs they think about first.

cameron
10-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Whenever I meet anyone and they find out I'm an Elvis fan, they always bring up the subject of him and the drugs and this really annoys me a lot. So in the future if anyone says this to me, I'm going to tell them what a kind human being he was, so generous to everyone he knew, and those he didn't know. I'm going to bring up the charity work that he did and other good things like that. I'm going to make them feel small for thinking that it is always the drugs they think about first.

(y)(y)(y) You'd be surprised at people that only lnow about that topic.
There's much more to him than that. Congrats to you..(y)(y)

Gerianne
10-22-2007, 09:16 AM
(y)(y)(y) You'd be surprised at people that only lnow about that topic.
There's much more to him than that. Congrats to you..(y)(y)

You're right about that Cameron, there is so much more to him than that. I really think we have to educate people about Elvis. A lot of people who aren't Elvis fans seem to have the wrong image of him, and it's about time we changed that. So this is going to be my new thing if I meet anyone and they mentioned the drugs again.

Rover
10-22-2007, 09:24 AM
In this thread we ended up discussing about drugs: http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=15606 And I guess this was discussed in many more threads...Good luck with your essay (y)

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=16114

this one too...it didn't start out that way...but keep reading.

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=15944

here's the one about the FBI and cocaine thing.

EnigmaticSun
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
One of the problems was that some of the things Elvis may have used weren't generally considered "drugs". So if people say something is normal, we don't give it a second thought: just like cigarettes, oil industry and graffiti.

In the 60's you could see some health issues now and then, e.g. being swollen, holding fluids.. He must have been struggling with blood pressure and such, at least that's what I think. In the army he got to try some amphetamines which was probably "normal" in the eyes of many.

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-22-2007, 02:01 PM

To answer the question, I think the first obvious signs from my own personal opinion was the Elvis On Tour film and then again for the announcement of the Aloha show. There has been huge amounts of speculation as for the time Elvis started to use drugs, the army & during the movie years and this is probably correct.

Diane
10-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I agree, I also think Elvis started with the drugs in the army. You can see on Elvis on Tour in '72 that things were changing with him. I haven't seen anything during the movie years or '68 to '71 in his looks or personality that gave us any indication of his habit.

Diane

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree, I also think Elvis started with the drugs in the army. You can see on Elvis on Tour in '72 that things were changing with him. I haven't seen anything during the movie years or '68 to '71 in his looks or personality that gave us any indication of his habit.

Diane

to me, these are his best looking years....man he was gorgeous!

SeeSeeRider777
10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
It was evident Elvis was using drugs in EOT. He was pale, you saw when he got in the limo the look on his face (the part where JE gave Elvis his sunglasses). He did a very good job hiding his drug use. Then by 74 it was a dead give away that he was using drugs. He slurred on stage, he let his looks go, he was never in shape. It was sad that a guy with all of this talent wasted it all.

KPM
10-22-2007, 02:45 PM
It was evident Elvis was using drugs in EOT. He was pale, you saw when he got in the limo the look on his face (the part where JE gave Elvis his sunglasses). He did a very good job hiding his drug use. Then by 74 it was a dead give away that he was using drugs. He slurred on stage, he let his looks go, he was never in shape. It was sad that a guy with all of this talent wasted it all.

IMO To me its sad that as time goes on, the emphasis seems to be shifting from his natural talent, his voice, his revolutionary place in rock history-to his downfall and drugs usage. All the rest is becoing secondary.
We are so afraid of a "whitewashing of his life" that the passion in his fans seems to only be for the downfall of the man not the years of music that came before.(n)

SeeSeeRider777
10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I dont put emphasis on his downfall, I am just stating is that it is sad to see because he could have done so much more. You know? I love all the music.

KPM
10-22-2007, 02:56 PM
I dont put emphasis on his downfall, I am just stating is that it is sad to see because he could have done so much more. You know? I love all the music.
I was speaking in general terms about fans as a whole not you in particular-sorry it was not more clear.

cameron
10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
IMO To me its sad that as time goes on, the emphasis seems to be shifting from his natural talent, his voice, his revolutionary place in rock history-to his downfall and drugs usage. All the rest is becoing secondary.
We are so afraid of a "whitewashing of his life" that the passion in his fans seems to only be for the downfall of the man not the years of music that came before.(n)

Boy, I can sure agree with this statement. When did it become more important to tear someone down than to build them up? This is something I just can't understand in todays world. We all have weaknesses .We all fall short of what's expected of us.

I'm not as "pretty " as I used to be when I was 20 either.:lol:

Diane
10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
There does seem to be more interest in the scandalous these days....nice stories don't sell anymore unless it's the rescue of a child or an animal and it seems to have affected the way a lot of people now talk of and think as well .

Diane

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Boy, I can sure agree with this statement. When did it become more important to tear someone down than to build them up? This is something I just can't understand in todays world. We all have weaknesses .We all fall short of what's expected of us.

I'm not as "pretty " as I used to be when I was 20 either.:lol:

Cam, you not being "as pretty as you once were" has no bearing on the destruction of your life - as drugs did with Elvis' life. Our discussing it basically is because none of us can still believe he let himself get caught up in them that way, and ultimately killed him. I think that is why we are still discussing it alot......we are all shocked and saddened to lose such a wondeful person way too soon. See what I mean? Your "downfall" is nothing compared to his.....(p.s. I'm sure you are still very pretty....(y))

ksimms2
10-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Cam, you not being "as pretty as you once were" has no bearing on the destruction of your life - as drugs did with Elvis' life. Our discussing it basically is because none of us can still believe he let himself get caught up in them that way, and ultimately killed him. I think that is why we are still discussing it alot......we are all shocked and saddened to lose such a wondeful person way too soon. See what I mean? Your "downfall" is nothing compared to his.....(p.s. I'm sure you are still very pretty....(y))

I'm not sure if I explained this right....I know you havent had a "downfall" was just comparing what you said vs. his life......:hmm:

SeeSeeRider777
10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
No one looks the same 20 years later but Elvis let himself get out of shape. He was in great shape and forum for the Aloha concert. And he let himself go.

cameron
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM

All I can see being said is "how awful" he looked. I'm not gonna get into all this anymore. KPM has repeatedly shown there were good reasons for him to "look awful." He was surely abusing prescription drugs; but at the same time he was very, very ill. Some never even acknowledge that fact.
I just happen to agree with KPM. This is my opinion. To each their own.

Meet "The Group" :lol: :lol::lol: Good lookin' bunch ,huh?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/zorahday/web20bodyguards20paper20what20happe.jpg

Merry
10-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Whenever I meet anyone and they find out I'm an Elvis fan, they always bring up the subject of him and the drugs and this really annoys me a lot. So in the future if anyone says this to me, I'm going to tell them what a kind human being he was, so generous to everyone he knew, and those he didn't know. I'm going to bring up the charity work that he did and other good things like that.

(y) (y) (y)

Merry
10-22-2007, 08:01 PM
(y)
You're right about that Cameron, there is so much more to him than that. I really think we have to educate people about Elvis. A lot of people who aren't Elvis fans seem to have the wrong image of him, and it's about time we changed that. So this is going to be my new thing if I meet anyone and they mentioned the drugs again.

Again (y) (y)

Merry
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
All I can see being said is "how awful" he looked. I'm not gonna get into all this anymore. KPM has repeatedly shown there were good reasons for him to "look awful." He was surely abusing prescription drugs; but at the same time he was very, very ill. Some never even acknowledge that fact.
I just happen to agree with KPM. This is my opinion. To each their own.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/zorahday/web20bodyguards20paper20what20happe.jpg

I have words, which I'll keep to myself.

:angry:

Merry
10-22-2007, 08:18 PM
There does seem to be more interest in the scandalous these days....nice stories don't sell anymore unless it's the rescue of a child or an animal and it seems to have affected the way a lot of people now talk of and think as well .

Diane

In my experience, our society, generally speaking, has been too de-sensitized.

With shows that showcase people bullying each other, excluding each other at any cost, scheming against each other.....it isn't good.

In my opinion, we need to assist our children to have beautiful manners, to respect each other, to include other children, and to have empathy for others.

In my opinion, very broadly speaking, in some cases, manners have been lost on the way, and it isn't good.

Again, very generally speaking, some people are raised to not show care and compassion for others, or try to understand. They look for the worst, without balance, some responsibility, goes to the media.

utmom2008
10-22-2007, 10:06 PM

No need to apologize!! I bet you did see what kind of a stir the drugs bring up though didn't you? Good luck with your paper!;)

jak
10-23-2007, 02:51 AM
It's impossible to ignore the drug issue when discussing Elvis' life.That fault belongs to Elvis.Elvis was the total package.The looks and an unbelievable talent.He allowed the drugs to take both away from him at a time when he finally had emerged from the shadows you might say.His return to the top was brief and then he crashed.Saying these things is not tearing him down but just looking at the facts.Burying your head in the sand doesnt make them go away.How can we be expected to ignore or continously try to explain away something that destroyed somebody of Elvis' magnitude?
Jak

cameron
10-23-2007, 03:09 AM
It's impossible to ignore the drug issue when discussing Elvis' life.That fault belongs to Elvis.Elvis was the total package.The looks and an unbelievable talent.He allowed the drugs to take both away from him at a time when he finally had emerged from the shadows you might say.His return to the top was brief and then he crashed.Saying these things is not tearing him down but just looking at the facts.Burying your head in the sand doesnt make them go away.How can we be expected to ignore or continously try to explain away something that destroyed somebody of Elvis' magnitude?
Jak
Lord knows ...no one is ignoring "the drug issues." It has been seen, acknowleged ; on and on.
I've not seen many look into his physical or emotoinal health as deeply.
That disturbs me when one can't look at all things.
IF one wants to disect Elvis; then go all the way. Don't get hung up on just one issue. To me; that is burying ones head in the sand. To ignore the WHY of a persons life beyond one thing.

jak
10-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Lord knows ...no one is ignoring "the drug issues." It has been seen, acknowleged ; on and on.
I've not seen many look into his physical or emotoinal health as deeply.
That disturbs me when one can't look at all things.
IF one wants to disect Elvis; then go all the way. Don't get hung up on just one issue. To me; that is burying ones head in the sand. To ignore the WHY of a persons life beyond one thing.

I would disagree.Many fans ignore the drug issue or pretend it wasnt an issue with him.Just bringing it up doesnt mean youre "hung up" on the issue.It's normal to ask these questions and wonder why things happened the way they did.It's depressing but Elvis' drug abuse was the most dominant issue in his life for the last several years.It ended up overshadowing everything else.The physical and mental issues he had were mostly due to his drug dependecy.His problems all lead right back to the drugs which is the "why" that is at the root of his demise.I think to just accept that Elvis liked doing drugs is to simple of an answer for many fans.They are hoping to find some underlying tragedy in his life that will make them feel better about what he did and in sime way justify his drug use in their own minds.
Jak

cameron
10-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Obviosly, we disagree. No use going on and on...it's been discussed to death ,IMO.
Doesn't mean you can't find someone interested. I've just went over and over it too many times before. People will say what they want to say.
I just don't have to listen to it ..unless there's something new .:hmm:
You see; even when someone agrees about the drugs; they're wrong .
Unless one gets as upset about it as others.
Drugs have been a part of an entertainers life for decades .
It just doesn't bother me as much as it seems to others.

jak
10-23-2007, 04:07 AM
Obviosly, we disagree. No use going on and on...it's been discussed to death ,IMO.
Doesn't mean you can't find someone interested. I've just went over and over it too many times before. People will say what they want to say.
I just don't have to listen to it ..unless there's something new .:hmm:
You see; even when someone agrees about the drugs; they're wrong .
Unless one gets as upset about it as others.
Drugs have been a part of an entertainers life for decades .
It just doesn't bother me as much as it seems to others.

Somebody must be interested in these threads.Look at the number of views compared to others.I would strongly urge the ones that dont like these threads to avoid them.Im still trying to figure out why people that hate these discussions keep participating in them.That's the mystery.
Jak

MJ27
10-23-2007, 04:35 AM
I think it started to get really serious around 1971 -2. Elvis seemed to be as straight as an arrow for the New York press conference and then just a few months later he was slurring his way through the "Aloha" interviews.

Does anyone else think that Elvis' sunglasses made him look drugged out?.I know that sounds stupid , but if you watch the opening scene of "Elvis On Tour" you might know what I mean.The moment he takes his sunglasses off before hitting the stage he looks different ...maybe younger ?.Weird!.:hmm:

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Somebody must be interested in these threads.Look at the number of views compared to others.I would strongly urge the ones that dont like these threads to avoid them.Im still trying to figure out why people that hate these discussions keep participating in them.That's the mystery.
Jak

I just don't understand why people will continually berate this topic, as you have said you can simply avoid such topics! I have lost count of the threads I do not participate in :lol:

Seriously though, I find you spend more time justifying this topic than actually participating??!! When you point out how many posts people who don't like these threads contribute (over 75%) they get all bent out of shape :P One day we will actually come to a satisfactory conclusion :hmm:

Dovey
10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I agree with you Jumpsuit Junkie, but one thing I have learned from life... is some people enjoy dwelling on the negative instead of the good things. (You know like the glass is half full or half empty type of thing. :lmfao::lmfao:) . Dovey;)

cameron
10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Jak
Unfortunately, we are a people that like to "peep" through the windows of others. ;) Most don't want to get involved personally; but enjoy seeing "who wins in a fight." Thing is..nobody wins. Trash just goes on and on.

elvis himselvis
10-23-2007, 11:30 AM
It became a real problem in 1973.that's when he is also putting on weight,and can't control himself all the time.

KPM
10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I just don't understand why people will continually berate this topic, as you have said you can simply avoid such topics! I have lost count of the threads I do not participate in :lol:

Seriously though, I find you spend more time justifying this topic than actually participating??!! When you point out how many posts people who don't like these threads contribute (over 75%) they get all bent out of shape :P One day we will actually come to a satisfactory conclusion :hmm:
I don't see that ever happening-I hope you are right. I have added some thoughts and info which I felt added a little to the "idea of understanding" why certain individuals can get involved with addictions and the revolving door they create. I felt what I posted added to the conversations -"food for thought on understanding- instead of out and out condemnation" That is the way I look at most topics not just on Elvis. That is who I am. Not everyone sees it that way. Fine with me. But I don't see it the way they do either and-they have their own life which shapes the way they perceive the problems of life. But my insight into drug usage and all it entails- is personal.
Having problems or conditions which you have little control over- is personal. I can't help but post when I see a comment which seems to catagorically state something I see as open to interpretation, or where an injection of some understanding might be in order. I do not do it to argue, I do it to add my view (thats why we talk right) to the discussion. But if the topic never came up again for weeks I would not miss it. Can anyone say we have not covered every angle a couple times over of his downfall? No one changes their minds, people get mad, people get bannned-and it cools down till someone brings it up again. Sometimes it is brought up in the most innocent of threads- and the heat is on.
I do tire of the topic, but have never buried my head in the sand on drugs.
I reserve the right to post my thoughts on the subject when I think it adds to the discussion-even when they go against the grain of most posting. I don't think I have ever tried to "characterize" anyones opinions in a negative tone-and I expect the same from others- thats all I ask. In all due respect for everyone.

GirlHappy19
10-23-2007, 09:12 PM

I think is time to stop talking about Elvis and his drugs.We,the fans are the ones who need to stop first and educate the rest about what Elvis was really about.What he did or should have was his business.This is why Elvis is more popular in the UK that in his own country.Just let him go.Let's concentrate on the best entertainer that the world will ever see.Nobody can top him.Nobody will.

Thank you

GH19

Merry
10-23-2007, 10:21 PM
I think is time to stop talking about Elvis and his drugs.We,the fans are the ones who need to stop first and educate the rest about what Elvis was really about.What he did or should have was his business.This is why Elvis is more popular in the UK that in his own country.Just let him go.Let's concentrate on the best entertainer that the world will ever see.Nobody can top him.Nobody will.

Thank you

GH19

Beautifully stated.

:hug:

Kimmi

utmom2008
10-23-2007, 10:28 PM
the thread about elvis and coke is where you'll find everything out about drugs and such. IMO these types of threads turns nasty sometimes.
I agree...they turn ugly and heated. We have to learn to agree to disagree. There's so much good...let's focus on that! RIP Elvis:king:

www.youtube.com/utmom2008

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-24-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't see that ever happening-I hope you are right. I have added some thoughts and info which I felt added a little to the "idea of understanding" why certain individuals can get involved with addictions and the revolving door they create. I felt what I posted added to the conversations -"food for thought on understanding- instead of out and out condemnation" That is the way I look at most topics not just on Elvis. That is who I am. Not everyone sees it that way. Fine with me. But I don't see it the way they do either and-they have their own life which shapes the way they perceive the problems of life. But my insight into drug usage and all it entails- is personal.
Having problems or conditions which you have little control over- is personal. I can't help but post when I see a comment which seems to catagorically state something I see as open to interpretation, or where an injection of some understanding might be in order. I do not do it to argue, I do it to add my view (thats why we talk right) to the discussion. But if the topic never came up again for weeks I would not miss it. Can anyone say we have not covered every angle a couple times over of his downfall? No one changes their minds, people get mad, people get bannned-and it cools down till someone brings it up again. Sometimes it is brought up in the most innocent of threads- and the heat is on.
I do tire of the topic, but have never buried my head in the sand on drugs.
I reserve the right to post my thoughts on the subject when I think it adds to the discussion-even when they go against the grain of most posting. I don't think I have ever tried to "characterize" anyones opinions in a negative tone-and I expect the same from others- thats all I ask. In all due respect for everyone.

Hi KPM, I am in no way pointing the finger at you, as I have said on numerous occasions I find your thoughtful and insightful posts refreshing. I cannot however say the same for other contributers who make snide comments, If they don't like the thread they should simply avoid it. alas they don't and that when things get heated.........

Getlo
10-24-2007, 02:22 PM

And what has making sarcastic comments about the looks of Red, Sonny and Dave got to do with this thread?

As for the first example of drug use: the press conference after his army release at Graceland. Something was wrong even then.

Getlo
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree with you Jumpsuit Junkie, but one thing I have learned from life... is some people enjoy dwelling on the negative instead of the good things. (You know like the glass is half full or half empty type of thing. :lmfao::lmfao:) . Dovey;)

Don't equate "talking about" with dwelling. As many people have said, if you don't like the topic, don't post on it.

And the glass half full / half empty thing? That all depends.

If you have a full glass and tip half of it out, it's half empty.

If you have an empty glass and fill in half way, it's half full.

Although both expressions are stupid: both glasses are filled to half-capacity.

Diane
10-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I could see something not quite right at the Aloha interview but I'll be darn if I can find a thing wrong with the way Elvis was at the press conference after he got out of the army....I think that's really stretching to find fault!(n)

Diane

SeeSeeRider777
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Everybody has to take it easy here. This is a forum and people agree and disagree with each other. Yeah Elvis using drugs is a bad topic, but it is a fact. Take it easy everyone.

KPM
10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Don't equate "talking about" with dwelling. As many people have said, if you don't like the topic, don't post on it.

And the glass half full / half empty thing? That all depends.

If you have a full glass and tip half of it out, it's half empty.

If you have an empty glass and fill in half way, it's half full.

Although both expressions are stupid: both glasses are filled to half-capacity.
The expressions may be stupid-but ones perception of the half filled glass is just a simple way to describe ones temperment. Either way you see it, you are correct the liquid is exactly the same- its the perception that tells the story from one to the next.

ksimms2
10-24-2007, 04:29 PM
The expressions may be stupid-but ones perception of the half filled glass is just a simple way to describe ones temperment. Either way you see it, you are correct the liquid is exactly the same- its the perception that tells the story from one to the next.

And it just depends on how drunk you are! :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
(just trying to add a little humor here...)

geordie
10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Elvis Took Presciption Drugs(shock Horror)

He Was Addicted To Them
Why Do People Dwell On The Elvis Drug Story,nearly Every Top Name In Music Was On Some Kind Of Drug,lennon,mcartney,orbison,ray Charles,hendrix I Could Go On And On,whoes To Say That If We Were In The Same Position As These People, That We Woudnt Delve Into The Dreaded Drugs. The Only Name I Missed Out There Was The Great, Frank Sinatra, I Have Read A Couple Of Books On 'the Chairman Of The Board' And None Of Them Mention Drugs.
Saying All That, He Smoked About 50 Ciggarettes A Day And Drank About 2 Bottles Of Jack Daniels A Day As Well
Well Thats My Rant Over Im Off To Drink Another 10 Pints Of Snakies :d

Getlo
10-24-2007, 11:11 PM
I'll be darn if I can find a thing wrong with the way Elvis was at the press conference after he got out of the army....I think that's really stretching to find fault!

Then keep looking.

And how do you know I equate drug usage with "fault"? It is what it is.

Perhaps he was tired for the post-army PC, but he is slurring ... I believe the pils had kicked in at this particular moment. He wasn't the same lucid Elvis as when he went to Germany in his last PC.

But it's all about personal perception I suppose. My perception is that he was high.

Dovey
10-25-2007, 04:31 AM

Thanks KPM, you get it!!!

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:Getlo, Welcome back, you truly have a answer for everything. But Half full or half empty we will never know the answers to many things about Elvis. (We only know half the truth about Elvis) Dovey;)

EnigmaticSun
10-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Even at his worst Elvis was sweet and tame compared to others.

Diane
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Yep Getlo, I agree it's all in the perception of Elvis. Some people always see "the glass half empty (sorry). Elvis was always nervous in interviews etc. He wasn't any good at speech making, he slurred and he stammered but that was just him so I guess if anyone wanted to think that, he was never without being under the influence of something his whole life....even as a little kid, but then I guess he could have gotten into his mother's medications :lol:.

It's is stupid to go overboard about him being a "saint" but then again some go overboard about him being just the opposite.

Diane

elvis himselvis
10-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I know what GetLo means with the post army interview...he was a little bit strange and was thinking alot about the anwsers.But if that was from drugs???maybe,but I think he was very nervous...good point GetLo

ruggishboo
10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Who knows? Maybe the pills were affecting him in public even at that early stage in March 1960, just my opinion though, he seemed more tired and relaxed than anything else. Was this interview the same day as when he got home, or was this the day after? He might of just had a lot on his mind...his homecoming without his mother there, the impending work he had ahead of him,(Frank Sinatra special, recording sessions, return to Hollywood), etc.

TLC67
10-25-2007, 10:41 AM
I think he was just being careful with his answers. Sometimes it is hard to answer quickly when you don't have knowledge of what the next question might be about, and who the answer might affect. He was very careful in that aspect all through his life.
NOT denying there were drugs but he didn't look under the influence.
Some people are good public speakers and others are not. He stammered, stuttered, and mixed his words up quite frequently and I think that was just nervousness. His talent lay in his performing, not speaking.

Burning_Love
10-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I'd say Elvis on Tour, at the actual concert.
It's hard to say.

SeeSeeRider777
10-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Elvis did do a very good job about keeping his drug abuse a secret. He wanted to keep his image. One question though didnt the former MM members sign a confidentiality agreement when they were fired?

EnigmaticSun
10-25-2007, 01:45 PM
One would say: there's pretty much to blame Elvis for. He did this and that wrong.

The other would say: Elvis Presley is my saviour and hero. He was the noblest being on earth. We still live to die for Elvis - to die for him is to live forever. Graceland is Presley as Presley is Graceland! Hail Presley!

I do think he had the talent to deliver a speech.. for some reasons:

1. If he was angry at you, he was impressive in doing so. Not every teacher at school can do this.

2. The following part seems very convincing: "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song."

3. I don't think he was always prepared to answer anything and why should he? He was no robot, like politicians seem to be. But in a song his "speech" sounded convincing and eloquent: "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and "Mama Liked The Roses"..

So yes, I do think he had the talent for a speech. Sorry to go off-topic about the drug-thing. It just seems that he's getting an unreasonable share of slander. A lot of other people (celebrities too) are much worse.

KPM
10-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Elvis did do a very good job about keeping his drug abuse a secret. He wanted to keep his image. One question though didnt the former MM members sign a confidentiality agreement when they were fired?
I don't think I ever heard of such an agreement with any MM. But after the books on Elvis, Howard Hughes, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, etc... in the 70s and 80s- stars began to take notice and require them of just about anyone who has prolonged contact with them.

Tony Trout
10-25-2007, 02:35 PM
2. Elvis seemed to be as straight as an arrow for the New York press conference and then just a few months later he was slurring his way through the "Aloha" interviews.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Elvis wasn't as straight as an arrow during the MSG press conference...he was definitely "high" there...he wasn't "out of it" like the November 20, 1972 press conference for "Aloha" by no means but he was high during the June 9, 1972 MSG press conference....

KPM
10-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but Elvis wasn't as straight as an arrow during the MSG press conference...he was definitely "high" there...he wasn't "out of it" like the November 20, 1972 press conference for "Aloha" by no means but he was high during the June 9, 1972 MSG press conference....
See I can not make that statement-because "high" to me means a whole different thing. He may have been using -but IMO he was very lucid, quick witted, on top of his game- in dealing with the press at this PC. The people I have seen who are "high" can not keep train of thought let alone be quick witted or lucid when they speak. But its just a matter of differing interpretation.

SeeSeeRider777
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I dont think Elvis was high for the MSG conference. He spoke fine and acted normal. But he was def high for the press conference in Nov. His speech was slurred. You could see that he was high.

Tony Trout
10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Several members of the MM have admitted that Elvis was, in fact, high during the MSG press conference....

presley31
10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
See I can not make that statement-because "high" to me means a whole different thing. He may have been using -but IMO he was very lucid, quick witted, on top of his game- in dealing with the press at this PC. The people I have seen who are "high" can not keep train of thought let alone be quick witted or lucid when they speak. But its just a matter of differing interpretation.

good points KPM(y)

Diane
10-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Tony, that's an example of what I mean when I say that I feel the MM exaggerated. He may have taken something to calm his nerves before that conference but was obviously not "high". He could take an aspirin and they'd say the same thing,....now I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean.

Diane

KPM
10-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Several members of the MM have admitted that Elvis was, in fact, high during the MSG press conference....
As I said my idea of "high" is as I stated in my previous post. If the MM said he was high, then there idea of "high" and mine do not match.

utmom2008
10-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I dont think Elvis was high for the MSG conference. He spoke fine and acted normal. But he was def high for the press conference in Nov. His speech was slurred. You could see that he was high.
Yes, that press conference is difficult to watch. I think he was fine during the MSG, he certainly seemed in control.

utmom2008
10-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Interesting:(What is it about the MSG press confrence that you see as being "high"? I've tried to watch and be objective, but I honestly can't find fault with his delivery. Now, unfortunately, the Nov. Aloha is an entirely different matter.

utmom2008
10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
But....do we always believe everything the MM is telling??:hmm:

Diane
10-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Ahhhhh, that's the rub!

Diane