PDA

View Full Version : Movie Roles For Elvis - What do you think?

ms_epblvd
10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
What movie roles do you think Elvis would have been great in? Modern day or yester years. It doesnt matter.

Even though the role is for a british gentleman, I think Elvis would have made a great James Bond. Especially how he looked in the 68 comeback.... All suave with a tuxedo on.... Wooooooooo Hubba Hubba Ding Ding! (y)

So what do you think?:P

U.S. Male
10-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I think it would have been interesting to seen him in a war film like The Longest Day.

Also, some of the Burt Reynolds films such as The Longest Yard or Smoky & The Bandit would have been good roles for him.

I also think he would have been perfect for the roll that Rick Nelson played in the film Rio Bravo.

Maybe even a part in a real dramatic hororr flick like Jaws would have been interesting, but they'd probably wanted him to sing 'Song of The Shrimp" while they were chasing the shark:lol:

ms_epblvd
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Those are some good roles BBM... Definately Rio Bravo yes!
I absolutely could see him singing Song of the Shrimp in Jaws. They would probably have Elvis defeat the shark with a Kung Fu chop!!!

rebby
10-09-2007, 01:16 PM
OMG you are so totally right MoodyBlue77 ! James Bond thats what i was gonna say! I mean come on Daniel Craig or Elvis from 1968 ! No competition!!!!!!! wowo, he would also have made a good Bond baddie i think!!! lol

Also i think he would have rocked in Bubba Ho-Tep! lolololol i love that movie so much, but they still had to kill him! grrrrr lol

Oh Grease!!!!!!! he would have been fab in grease! lol or Saturday Night Fever or Pulp Fiction! lol oh what could have been!

KPM
10-09-2007, 04:56 PM
I think it would have been interesting to seen him in a war film like The Longest Day.

Also, some of the Burt Reynolds films such as The Longest Yard or Smoky & The Bandit would have been good roles for him.

I also think he would have been perfect for the roll that Rick Nelson played in the film Rio Bravo.
Maybe even a part in a real dramatic hororr flick like Jaws would have been interesting, but they'd probably wanted him to sing 'Song of The Shrimp" while they were chasing the shark:lol:
I have read John Wayne wanted him, but Elvis entered the Army. They wanted to grab the teenagers to increase the audience and Rick Nelson filled in pretty good.

KPM
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
You know the director of "In Cold Blood" talked of casting Elvis in the Robert Blake part in that true story of 2 drifters who killed a farm family written by Truman Capote. I actually would have liked to see him do that-complete turnaround in character. I think it would have been great to see.

rhythmknights
10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I read somewhere on here that Elvis was interested in the Godfather movie, but never auditioned. I can't picture Elvis as a bad guy, even on King Creole, he wasn't a bad boy. I thnk he could have done a good job.
Although, I remember when I saw Martin Short playing a really bad guy on Law & Order, it really upset me. Nix that. Elvis can only play good guy parts.

I would have liked to see him in movies like James Bond or even the X-Men movies, he'd make a great Xavier! Or as a voice in a Disney Animated Movie, then he could sing to his hearts content & be given great songs to sing. I'd love to hear him do the part of Timon - singing Hakuna Matata!

Debra
10-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Elvis can only play good guy parts.

I disagree with this.

I think that Elvis was brilliant in some roles where he could act himself in a way he was and showed everything what he had inside, all his wild temper and I think he would really shine in that kind of roles.

He hated movies where everything was right and perfect and he really loved movies with evil story, with guns and stuff like that.

He didn't watch dramatic movies a lot, I think.

Elvis has never been a person which he played in movies. He just couldn't used abilities that he had; those B-movies were a waste of his talent !

Getlo
10-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Elvis as James Bond??? I don't think so. :lmfao:

And having Elvis in the role of Danny in Grease? No. Elvis was the archetype 50s teen "rebel" and having him in the part would've bordered on parody.

There was talk of him taking the part in True Grit with John Wayne, which eventually went to Glen Campbell ... he may have been good in that.

Unfortunately, I think this is all a moot point: what we got to see of Elvis' acting was only very limited, and he never had the chance to truly explore the art. Based on what was given (I'm talking about his better roles here; forget Harum Scarum and all the other crap films), I really don't believe he would have been good in a role of any real substance. He would have needed a lot more training to come up to a good enough standard.

Elvis was never "brilliant" in any of his roles either, as much as fans would wish it so. Good sometimes, yes. Very good, mostly, in King Creole. Adequate mostly, overall. And the rest of the time, he was going through the motions, so it's unfair to judge what he put on screen.

KPM
10-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Elvis as James Bond??? I don't think so. :lmfao:

And having Elvis in the role of Danny in Grease? No. Elvis was the archetype 50s teen "rebel" and having him in the part would've bordered on parody.

There was talk of him taking the part in True Grit with John Wayne, which eventually went to Glen Campbell ... he may have been good in that.

Unfortunately, I think this is all a moot point: what we got to see of Elvis' acting was only very limited, and he never had the chance to truly explore the art. Based on what was given (I'm talking about his better roles here; forget Harum Scarum and all the other crap films), I really don't believe he would have been good in a role of any real substance. He would have needed a lot more training to come up to a good enough standard.
Elvis was never "brilliant" in any of his roles either, as much as fans would wish it so. Good sometimes, yes. Very good, mostly, in King Creole. Adequate mostly, overall. And the rest of the time, he was going through the motions, so it's unfair to judge what he put on screen.

IMO Evidently by the number of offers Elvis received for strictly acting parts many directors, producers and other actors thought Elvis could act pretty well. This is a discussion we had just a few months ago and I posted this then:
"Flaming Star" was after his army years and here is award winning director Don Siegels take on Elvis and his ablilty:
Elvis contributed his finest performance in Don Siegel's "Flaming Star," released the same year. Written by frequent John Ford collaborator Nunnally Johnson, "Flaming Star" was originally intended for Elvis's acting idol, Marlon Brando. Initially leery of his substitute leading man, Siegel, who had been trained by the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, was immediately struck by Elvis's on-set dedication. " Elvis could have been an acting star," the director wrote in his memoir. The rocker "surprised me with his sensitivity as an actor."
In order to take advantage of Elvis's potential and keep the film's downbeat Western tragedy from being rendered ridiculous, Siegel (who would go on to direct "Dirty Harry" and "Escape From Alcatraz") ignored Colonel Parker's request that Elvis perform at least 10 songs in the film. Not including the theme, Elvis performs only one number in "Flaming Star," and that's in the first five minutes of the film. And like Curtiz, Siegel surrounded Elvis with capable pros as co-stars. John McIntire and Dolores del Rio both contribute heartbreaking moments, and Elvis himself rose to the occasion in what was to be his most singularly tragic role and his most affecting.
Martin Sheen has stated "Elvis was an underrated actor" Robert Mitchem thought Elvis was one of the greatest natural actors he had seen in the 50s. The fact that Elvis was offered roles in great movies which would have required more than the usual "walk through roles of the musicals" shows Hollywood directors and producers thought he could act and handle the parts they wanted him for.
Reportedly wanted for "West Side Story" "The Defiant Ones" "Thunder Road" and others.
The director of "Midnight Cowboy" thought of Elvis as his first choice for the role Jon Voight finally played to acclaim. The "A Star is Born" role was a tough role dramatically- but Streisand felt Elvis was the one for the role. A lot of knowledgable people in Hollywood evidently thought Elvis could act. You don't get offered or considered for serious roles- if you are not taken serious as an actor.

Getlo
10-10-2007, 11:49 AM
You don't get offered or considered for serious roles- if you are not taken serious as an actor.

Then someone please explain Ryan Philippe!

KPM
10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Then someone please explain Ryan Philippe!
Don't know anything about this gentleman.

Getlo
10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Don't know anything about this gentleman.

Try Google.

Ex-husband of Reese Witherspoon. Hopeless actor, overrated git.

KPM
10-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I have no opinion about this "overrater git"

Lisarose
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Maybe Elvis was a 'limited actor', but when did he really get the chance to improve? Even in the better movies, the writing didn't allow for growth. Elvis wouldn't have allowed himself to slough over a good movie. He would have learned from the people around him just as he learned to better himself musically. I firmly believe that if he had been given the chance with good scripts, that he would have grown.

TLC67
10-11-2007, 06:51 PM
:clap: 007 :clap:

Merry
10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
What movie roles do you think Elvis would have been great in? Modern day or yester years. It doesnt matter.

Even though the role is for a british gentleman, I think Elvis would have made a great James Bond. Especially how he looked in the 68 comeback.... All suave with a tuxedo on.... Wooooooooo Hubba Hubba Ding Ding! (y)

So what do you think?:P

What do you think?

I would suddenly become a James Bond fan, that's what I think! (y)

Kimmi

Merry
10-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Oh Grease!!!!!!! he would have been fab in grease!

"Girly Moment"

I agree, lol :hug:

:D

Kim

Latte
10-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant, Long Hot Summer

ricardo b. prospero
10-11-2007, 07:24 PM
I personally believe Elvis have it and he should have landed playing dramatic roles like the one he did on King Creole. He can also be at home playing funny movies because of his inherent sense of humor. Basically, he has the potential to stretch his talent and play different roles. All he need was the break and a little practice maybe. He is by nature a versatile individual

Merry
10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I would have like to watch Elvis play "Dalton" in "Roadhouse".

The movie would have show cased the Martial Arts, Elvis' acting, and of course the masculine scenes as well as the ones that the ladies wouldn't mind watching. (y)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POfnFjyHiRw

(Except the "I thought you were bigger line" wouldn't apply, lol).

Red is there, too, in the trailer (for those who haven't watched this movie).

I loved the music, bluuuuuuuueeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyy(y)

Kim

Trudy
10-12-2007, 07:07 AM
patrick swayzes part in dirty dancing.
the role of jim stark in rebel without a cause
john travoltas character in pulp fiction(can just picture him in the dance scene)

rhythmknights
10-12-2007, 06:58 PM
What do you think?

I would suddenly become a James Bond fan, that's what I think! (y)

Kimmi

You got THAT right(y)(y)

cameron
10-14-2007, 06:09 AM
I really wish Elvis had been able to do A Star is Born.
IMO, it was a role that would have portrayed his acting abilities.
I really think Kris Kristofferson did a heck of a job .

medleyofcostumes
10-14-2007, 11:35 AM
What about "Walking Tall"?

Although not as popular as many films already mentioned, this would have been an ideal film for Elvis. For those who don't know the plot, the story goes that a family man returns to his home town with his family only to find that the town is now filled with drugs, prostitutes and a corrupt sherrif. He can't stand this so he runs for sherrif, wins, and tries to straighten things out. So all hell breaks loose as those who run the illegal activities try to get revenge on the new sherrif.

By the way, the film, which had 2 sequels, was filmed in 1975 and also starred none other than Red West!

Check it out!

Merry
10-14-2007, 02:10 PM
"patrick swayzes part in dirty dancing.
the role of jim stark in rebel without a cause
john travoltas character in pulp fiction(can just picture him in the dance scene)'

Oh Yeah, lol, I can somehow picture myself in some of those scenes .... grin ....

Kim

Merry
10-14-2007, 02:13 PM
"What about "Walking Tall"?

Although not as popular as many films already mentioned, this would have been an ideal film for Elvis. For those who don't know the plot, the story goes that a family man returns to his home town with his family only to find that the town is now filled with drugs, prostitutes and a corrupt sherrif. He can't stand this so he runs for sherrif, wins, and tries to straighten things out. So all hell breaks loose as those who run the illegal activities try to get revenge on the new sherrif.

By the way, the film, which had 2 sequels, was filmed in 1975 and also starred none other than Red West!

Check it out!"

I haven't watched the movie, MedleyofCostumes, (by the way, love your sense of humour, using this phrase from Elvis); however, it is sounds like a great movie for Elvis!

Kim

medleyofcostumes
10-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Kim. If you watch the film (the 1975 version, not the overblown, over-the-top remake of some years ago), it will be easy for you to imagine Elvis in the part. Elvis would have loved it because the film has quite a few fights!

ms_epblvd
10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Kimmi too funny.. Love the Bond pics!