PDA

View Full Version : novels with Elvis

rhythmknights
10-08-2007, 11:27 PM
There's been a lot of threads concerning books about Elvis. Has anyone read books where Elvis is either the main character or he is in the book as a sideline character? which do you like?

I've read the Daniel Klein books. There have been 4 so far. I really enjoyed the first three. the last - not so much. Kill Me Tender is the first book, I really liked it. Mr. Klein presented Elvis as he was. These are mystery books where Elvis is drawn into the PI game & goes about solving murders against his better judgement. In these books Elvis is the main character.
I've been reading Elvis in the Morning by Willaim F Buckley. It started out good, but now it's boring me - prob because Elvis is a secondary character.

rickb
10-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Elvis gets heaps of mentions in Stephen King books.
He was also mentioned in Angels and Demons that i just read

Rover
10-09-2007, 12:59 AM
He was also mentionned in the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy :D (I'll stop before I got a geeky reputation)
I never read a novel in which he was one of the main character tho...must be weird.

rhythmknights
10-09-2007, 06:38 AM
It is weird. Especially the Klein books, Klein seems to have done the Elvis research because the character is Elvis. THe last book was just WAY OUT THERE, but still good. Ann George wrote a series of mysteries her final book is titled Murder Boogies with Elvis, where the two main characters are at an ETA benefit or something & one of the impersonators ends up dead.

Can't say I've read many King books all the way through before I get really scared. STill haven't finished reading the Shining. I did read The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon - don't recall Elvis mentioned in that one, & I read Green Mile.

ksimms2
10-09-2007, 06:45 AM
wow, I never knew Elvis was a main character in a fictional book either.....sounds interesting to say the least.

Getlo
10-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Elvis the Novel.

I think that's what it was called. Can't remember the author and I don't have my copy at hand.

It's humorous, and is a completely fictional account of Elvis' life. One of triplets (two of which die at birth), he goes on to conquer the world. It's very funny.

rhythmknights
10-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Getlo, if you can find the book's title & author, please post, would like to give it a read. Also on my reading list is Lonely Street. they are the Bubba Mabry, PI series. Haven't read any of these, but I do love the PI mysteries.

KSimms2 - great avatar!

I nominate October as "Read a Book with Elvis" month!

ksimms2
10-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Getlo, if you can find the book's title & author, please post, would like to give it a read. Also on my reading list is Lonely Street. they are the Bubba Mabry, PI series. Haven't read any of these, but I do love the PI mysteries.

KSimms2 - great avatar!

I nominate October as "Read a Book with Elvis" month!

Thanks...made it myself last night with an Elvis background I had then I cropped little Lisa from a photo and inserted it....

marijaep
10-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks...made it myself last night with an Elvis background I had then I cropped little Lisa from a photo and inserted it....

Wow, hehe, nice job :clap: Well done (y)(y)(y)

ksimms2
10-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Wow, hehe, nice job :clap: Well done (y)(y)(y)

Thanks Marija...am trying to get back onto it....so this was my practice one...I guess it came out okay...

Getlo
10-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Getlo, if you can find the book's title & author, please post, would like to give it a read.

I looked for it, but the title is the same as another book. I think that's the title anyway, I can't remember. But I do recall laughing out loud as I read it.

I also recall that, on the back cover, it lists fictitious books on Elvis, including one from his dry-cleaner called: Ervis, He Good Chap, Me Rike Him Rots. :lol:

marijaep
10-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks Marija...am trying to get back onto it....so this was my practice one...I guess it came out okay...

It's very nice (y) If you make some more, please show us hehe :clap:

rhythmknights
10-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I looked for it, but the title is the same as another book. I think that's the title anyway, I can't remember. But I do recall laughing out loud as I read it.

I also recall that, on the back cover, it lists fictitious books on Elvis, including one from his dry-cleaner called: Ervis, He Good Chap, Me Rike Him Rots. :lol:

:lmfao: I gotta find this one!:lmfao::king::lmfao:

Getlo
10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
:lmfao: I gotta find this one!:lmfao::king::lmfao:

It's called Elvis, The Novel by Robert Graham and Keith Baty.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Novel-Robert-Graham/dp/1899344195

Another fictitious book listed in the fake bibliography is Elvis, Me, 3 Orange-Utangs & 7 Different Adhesives, by Fay Vest (Restless Urges, 1981)

Elvis, The Novel is a great read. Try and get a copy ... but be prepared to be offended if you're slightly sensitive! (y)

Here's one review:

The funniest Elvis book ever written!
'Truer than truth, funnier than fact' is what the publishers say and that's about right. This is definitely not to be confused with a biography. Here Elvis shoots Col. Parker in front of a worldwide TV audience, appears on the Batman TV series, records with The Beatles and retires to run a burger chain. It's a riot. ELVIS - The Novel seems to be part wish-fulfilment, part wacky comedy. It's imaginative, laugh-out-loud funny and sometimes quite touching. Big laughs are to be found in the discography at the back, where estimable Elvis recordings are coupled with the facetious inventions of the authors (eg That's Alright Mama c/w Sheree, Ernie, You're Both Wonderful People). Better than most Presley albums!

rhythmknights
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Thankyou so very much, Getlo (y)! I've put in my order for this book. I especially like the review from the authors. Almost done with Buckley's book & being a Buckley book, I'm reading it simultaneously with the dictionary. It did turn out better than I thought, but it's going back to the Half-Price Bookstore when I'm done with it!