PDA

View Full Version : Sonny West interview clips...

franny
10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Here's some links of interview clips with Sonny West...

I found them to be interesting...(y)

franny

http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final1.wmv
http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final2.wmv
http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final3.wmv
http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final4.wmv
http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final5.wmv
http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final6.wmv
http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final7.wmv
http://files.unikosmos.de/elvis_stream/sonny_west_final8.wmv

Natalie
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Sonny West is not a very nice person no matter how much he pretends to be.

Getlo
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
And so the Sonny West bashing begins yet again!! :angry::angry::angry:

SweetCaroline
10-08-2007, 12:13 AM

I totally agree with you, Natalie.

Rover
10-08-2007, 12:19 AM
thanks for sharing! I think it is hard to judge someone only by interviews or stuff like that :hmm:

tilly01
10-08-2007, 04:30 AM
this thread is similar to another one its getting boring and for the record you cannot meet a nicer gentleman then sonny west

Getlo
10-08-2007, 06:17 AM
this thread is similar to another one its getting boring and for the record you cannot meet a nicer gentleman then sonny west

Exactly. I've met him myself, and I think ... no, change that ... I know ... that anyone who says Sonny never really cared for Elvis is so way off base, it just defies belief.

cameron
10-08-2007, 06:35 AM
It is my opinion that Sonny is not a nice man either.
Everyone can have their own opinion, I think?

I read both of his books , read his interviews and read/listened to the phone call from Elvis.
There's nothing else to say. To each his own.

Diane
10-08-2007, 07:13 AM
I think he learned a lot from the old "snowman" -the colonel how to snow people.:)

Diane

ksimms2
10-08-2007, 07:26 AM
It is my opinion that Sonny is not a nice man either.
Everyone can have their own opinion, I think?

I read both of his books , read his interviews and read/listened to the phone call from Elvis.
There's nothing else to say. To each his own.

Cameron, thought the phone call was between RED and Elvis? not Sonny.

cameron
10-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Cameron, thought the phone call was between RED and Elvis? not Sonny.

yes, it was. I tend to "lump" them all together.;)
Sorry.

Dovey
10-08-2007, 10:53 AM
:D I Think Sonny has learned how to "sugar coat" his Elvis story !! Dovey;)

presley31
10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
:D I Think Sonny has learned how to "sugar coat" his Elvis story !! Dovey;)

agreed dovey(y)

franny
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
thanks for sharing! I think it is hard to judge someone only by interviews or stuff like that :hmm:

You're welcome, Rover! I agree, you can't judge someone by interviews and if Elvis thought enough of Sonny to have him work for him for 16 years, he can't be as bad as some think...

franny

Stryx
10-08-2007, 03:03 PM

Elvis seemed to disagree with you on that.

Diane
10-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Not really, he was one who was fired.

Diane

cameron
10-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Diane

I almost posted that .(y)(y)(y):lmfao::lmfao:

franny
10-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Yes, indeed Sonny West was fired, but prior to that Elvis considered him a friend...

franny

karenC
10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Exactly. I've met him myself, and I think ... no, change that ... I know ... that anyone who says Sonny never really cared for Elvis is so way off base, it just defies belief.

I so agree with this statement! I've corresponded via email with Sonny several times and he's a gentleman. Even before I began corresponding with him, I knew that he cared for Elvis and would rather have his friend, sans the drugs, over whatever money and fame he receives. Anyone who claims that the MM, the original few, didn't care for Elvis you are wrong. Did you see "All the Kings Men?" If you saw that video with the original members of the MM you would have no doubt.

karenC
10-08-2007, 04:28 PM

Diane

Yes, that's true, but at one time or another they've all been let go, especially after some disagreements, and were allowed to return. I've read that that's exactly what Elvis had intended to do.

Stryx
10-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Diane

You do know Elvis did that a lot. Sorta flexing his muscles as the boss. Elvis was bestman at Sonnys wedding.

But it seems some people here are sure Elvis had the worst taste in friends, makes you wonder how those who the MM would actually like Elvis if they were to hang out with him.

As they say.....judge someone by the company that they keep.

Diane
10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Karen I have the whole set of All The King's Men in VHS. I didn't like itl, I felt they spoke of Elvis the same as they did in their books. I did not feel they were respectful towards their friend at all.

Diane

cameron
10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
:hmm: Red and Sonny knew they would be hired back.....because Elvis fired then rehired them all the time.
Wonder why they wrote their book then? Out of "anger and bitternesss. "
Oh yeah--I forgot to "help Elvis" . :lmfao:

Sometimes it takes awhile to end a self distructive relationship

ksimms2
10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Karen I have the whole set of All The King's Men in VHS. I didn't like itl, I felt they spoke of Elvis the same as they did in their books. I did not feel they were respectful towards their friend at all.

Diane

Diane, I have heard of "All The Kings Men" mentioned in a MM book - but wasn't sure what it was....are they interviews or something?

Diane
10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Yes Kelly, the whole darn what 6 tapes? are an interview of the MM. I can't remember who all the members were, Lamar for sure and Marty, maybe Sonny. I never did watch it again and was highly tempted to burn it.

You and I take completely different slants towards the MM, you liked Revelations of The Mafia, I didn't, so you may be able to see something positive that I couldn't in that set. I bought it on eBay by the way and maybe Amazon carries it.

Diane

ricardo b. prospero
10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Looking at the picture in a general point of view, we will never be able to learn the truth about the real characters of the people around Elvis, and Sonny West definitely is one of them. It is always easy to pretend to be good and nice and certainly there is always a line that divides friends from the true ones. Elvis never find any problem winning more friends than he needed because of his status. A true friend will never stab you at the back no matter what happened and his loyalty must pass the test of time. I wonder how many of these so called friends of Elvis bear with him at the time of his distress. The saying that a dog will never bite his master's hand sometimes is untrue. You can name those who have bitten Elvis hands not once but more. I know you are aware who they are.

Getlo
10-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I tend to "lump" them all together.;)

And that's a major part of the problem ...

Getlo
10-08-2007, 11:45 PM

So were Red, Dave, Joe, Jerry ... everyone in the MM was canned at one time or another!

Getlo
10-08-2007, 11:48 PM
A true friend will never stab you at the back no matter what happened.

Even the truest of friendships can go sour.

Elvis Presley was not blameless in the final bust-up ... some fans just refuse to believe that.

cameron
10-09-2007, 03:32 AM
It's only Red, Sonny & Lamar I "lump" together . ;)
Though I'm not crazy abour Joe E. I think he remained a better friend than some. Also, Schilling. Most of the people I acknowledge got on with their lives and didn't depend on Elvis supporting them forever.

I know a few I've never seen that wrote any book or made many commnts about Elvis that was there in 1977. I trust them more .
Just my opinion on what I've found.

SweetCaroline
10-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Looking at the picture in a general point of view, we will never be able to learn the truth about the real characters of the people around Elvis, and Sonny West definitely is one of them. It is always easy to pretend to be good and nice and certainly there is always a line that divides friends from the true ones. Elvis never find any problem winning more friends than he needed because of his status. A true friend will never stab you at the back no matter what happened and his loyalty must pass the test of time. I wonder how many of these so called friends of Elvis bear with him at the time of his distress. The saying that a dog will never bite his master's hand sometimes is untrue. You can name those who have bitten Elvis hands not once but more. I know you are aware who they are.

Well put, ricardo. I enjoyed reading your take(y)....probably because I agree with you. :D

MissyM
10-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Ok, here is a hypothetical: You are one of the MM, you are fully aware of what people are going to say about you, because you have already been under scrutiny while Elvis was alive. Jealousy breedscontempt. Then after Elvis dies, it starts. You are left with starting your life over, you are grieving the loss of a friend, (in a dysfunctional relationship), and you know everything you have ever said and done will be looked at through a magnifing glass. So in order to perhaps ward off some of the critism you write a book, telling your side. (hoping that fans will see the bigger picture) Bare in mind you are leaving the contents to the disgression of the writer who is gathering the information through informal conversations. What do you tell, how far should you go, do you give the fans the benefit of the doubt, do you put faith in them to see the big picture?
Frankly I tire of people offering Elvis so much forgiveness, understanding, and glory. And at the same time want to think the worst of the MM.
Now what are they to do? D you honestly think there isn't more they could tell to defend themselves. Ahh, think again, there are things I could tell you. But it is not my place. Should they keep the cycle going? Or should they completely bow out and let the public/fans have at it.
The only way to defend themselves is to unfortunately tell the truth, the only way for people to understand how bad Elvis got is the tell the details (weather you like them or not). I know some people find the things said in MM rude and crude. Well, they were crude guys and so could Elvis be. It is just the way it was. They and their lives were not this sugar coated version you may want to hear.
Should they have followed in Elvis's footsteps and been afraid of everything the fans would say and do? Should they have continued to allow the fans to dictate what truths should be known.
Personally, I have respect for them for finally not allowing the fans to dictate their lives, who they were, and who Elvis was. I give them credit for standing up and not continuing the never ending cycle that Elvis had to deal with and the very thing that kept him locked away and miserable.
No matter what they said or how they said it, the would have been bashed and up for extreme scrutiny. But they did it their way with no regrets. Which is what Elvis should have done. He should have been honest, not so worried, not quite so caring about what the fans thought, and said screw it "This is who I am, this is my life, don't like it, don't embrace it.

cameron
10-10-2007, 07:49 AM
There are some that just got on with their lives.
Al Strada. Elvis' nurse, Tish Hensley and many more.
You love the guy, you mourn in private & there is "no side."

I won't allow any of my children to talk bad about the others..not to me anyway. I consider it gossip, one's just p.o.'d for now & it all goes away.
IF hateful mean things are said or "family secrets " told; it's very hard to forget what was said .

NEVER, would I say a word about any of my friends; dead or alive.