PDA

View Full Version : The Fans, good or bad

MissyM
10-05-2007, 03:15 PM
One thing I never hear about was the effect the fans had on Elvis's life. What do you all think. Can we hold them partly repsonsible for making Elvis's life what it was?

cameron
10-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I think most definitly we fans played a huge part in the way he had to live.
At the same time; I have to say......Elvis loved every minute of it....;)
He wouldn't ever have wanted to stop pleasing the fans.
he was in a hard situation....

MissyM
10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
It's true he loved his fans. But I think when it went over-board he did not. He was a gracious man, but sometimes it was too much. Many of them clawed at him, pulled his hair and tried to take from him. Why? When he gave a lot anyway. And then they took away his privacy. Graceland on any given day had fans at the gate. That's why he left through the back mostly. He had to seclude himself behind the gates. I know there was a time when he was challenged to go out and he wasn't made a big deal, but that proves nothing. That was not the norm. He had to go to movies (when no fans were there), rent the Amusement Park just to have fun and times when they wouldn't bother him.
And now, well if it wasn't for the demand for everything Elvis, books couldn't be sold (we eat them up) and he couldn't be exploited. I know everyone wants to hold everyone close to Elvis responsible for the grief in his life. But the fans have some responsibility here.

cameron
10-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm glad we can admit that .

I would never have wanted to live the way he had to.
"A prisoner of his fame."

ksimms2
10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't think it was all fans.....hopefully some of us realized he needed privacy and respected that. I'm not saying if I was in Memphis when he was still alive that I wouldn't go to the gate once or twice to see if I could see him.....BUT.....would not be a stalker fan ya know? And I certainly wouldn't scream my head off like some freak. If you are at a concert that's different.....I think he wanted you to scream at him -he got off on that and if revved him up to play better.....but not out in public for cripes sake....ya know? So yes....I think the fans played a big part of his life and why he had to hide, etc.

Diane
10-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm in full agreement with MissyM and Kelly. (y)

Diane

ricardo b. prospero
10-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Like in a particular business, it only exist because of the consumers or customers. Elvis became what he was because of us fans. Basically we made Elvis what we want him to be.
It is hard to imagine Elvis without his millions of fans. How can he become the king of rock and roll without his loyal subject? That is how important we are to Elvis.

Rover
10-06-2007, 11:05 AM
It is hard to imagine Elvis without fans: I guess he wouldn't be as much known without them. Regarding the money he get from them, the adoration and everything, I guess that the intrusion in his private life is the price to pay...it is the choice he made I think.

marijaep
10-06-2007, 11:41 AM
It is hard to imagine Elvis without fans: I guess he wouldn't be as much known without them. Regarding the money he get from them, the adoration and everything, I guess that the intrusion in his private life is the price to pay...it is the choice he made I think.

I agree 100% with you, Pauline (y)
Well, although I don't know if he expected to have THAT MANY fans lol, but yeah, he made the choice, he had a dream.........:D - Glad he followed it lol.
;)

Raised on Rock
10-06-2007, 12:36 PM
The Fans, the audience, were everything, without them, Elvis talent was pointless, without no one to enjoy it.

But one thing are the fans as the people who loved him and his work, and another the people that went beyond that and falled into some kind of blind devotion that actually was harmful to Elvis, the ones that keep eating all of his movies and told him they were great when they weren?t, the ones that forced him to do the same songs over and over when he didn?t wanted to do that stuff anymore, the ones that told him he still looked great when it was obvious that he needed to be told, hey, you?re not doing fine, go and take some rest man.

They loved Elvis, we all love him, but as Guralnick put it, some times it all falled down into a Careless Love.

That?s to say, in a positive way, and all for the best of our man, the fans back then some times needed to be more critical.

jak
10-06-2007, 04:14 PM
The fans were a double edge sword.They are an integral part of his legend.They supported him through the good and bad times.I have mentioned before that it might have been helpfull if the fans were not so supportive at times.Maybe having caused him to examine his situation a little more closely.I have aways liked the quote "Why should one create,when all one has to do is appear".That quote was about Elvis and it's very telling.His fans are surely the most dedicated.I believe he always had the utmost respect for them.I've told the story befofe how my wife was caught tresspassing at the back of the house.Elvis treated her like a good friend as did Linda rather than get angry or upset at her sneaking in.That says a lot about Elvis.Today's stars could learn lot from his example.
Jak

Dorothy
10-07-2007, 01:29 AM
The fans were definitely part of Elvis' life. I believe he accepted that fact and appreciated it. Without them where would he be? I think he said that to someone when they were trying to get him through a mob of fans. He graciously stopped and signed some autographs saying he would be nothing without them. I also think he truly loved his fans, even though they must have been extremely annoying at times.

I've always wondered, if he wanted to go to a public place, why didn't he disguise himself and go out?

Rover
10-07-2007, 03:20 AM
One of the greatest moments about the fans is, I think, when he went to the army, and there were a lot of people waiting to see him leaving, and Elvis looked surprised to see so many people....To me, this moment is what caracterize Elvis' fans. Anyone see what I'm talking about? :P

Dorothy, I don't think it would have worked for the disguise, Elvis was so popular that people would still recognize him if he had a disguise :)

LocalRaven
10-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Elvis often made it clear that he truly appreciated his fan and he wouldn't be there without them. (y)

Rover
10-21-2007, 09:34 AM
A little something to remind you how much he loved his fans :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6qOvq2sUek

elvislady
10-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Stars of today would not kiss there fans like elvis did, he kissed all the ladies on there lips oooooooooohhhhhhhh! and there were many. he never from what footage i have seen turned any down. he did respect the fans but i dont understand why some fans screamed like they did (well i do lol) but i would have been transfixed if it were me there.
elvislady:D

DodgeGal
10-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Thankyou Rover for sharing that clip, Yes, Elvis indeed loved his Fans

SleepyJack
10-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I don`t think there`s any doubt that Elvis loved the fans and vice versa......I can`t even begin to understand the pressure that must put on a person though....How did he handle it so well??......

The King's Queen
10-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Elvis was one of, if not THE most appreciative superstar EVER! He knew the importance of his fan-base, and he felt loved by them. I think that he found solace in the fact that his fans just loved being in his "presence"...regardless of how the show went, they accepted him. Could this type of adoration have added to his downward spiral? Sure. But it could also have brought him comfort in a life shrouded in sadness, depression, and loneliness. I guess there are pro's and con's to having so many fans and so much popularity...but his love for those fans was obvious when he was with them or in front of them. :king:

ms_epblvd
10-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I can say with confidence that we were what kept him going! We definately were there for him as he is for us.

t-r-o-u-b-l-e
10-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi everybody. New to this forum.

I believe the fans are who make any entertainer. Where would they be without their followers? This gives them something to work harder for. The love of the fans. But.... Elvis was an exception. He was the only entertainer alive that could keep you captivated, and could he keep you spellbound. From the moment he sang that first song until now. He is still #1, even after 50 years. What other entertain can claim this. :D

Jessie

elvislady
10-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Hi everybody. New to this forum.

I believe the fans are who make any entertainer. Where would they be without their followers? This gives them something to work harder for. The love of the fans. But.... Elvis was an exception. He was the only entertainer alive that could keep you captivated, and could he keep you spellbound. From the moment he sang that first song until now. He is still #1, even after 50 years. What other entertain can claim this. :D

Jessie

Hi jessie welcome to tcb world enjoy your stay here.
elvislady(y)

poormansgold
10-22-2007, 08:16 AM
There few fans that give him a room to been himself and they ones got lucky got in graceland with Elvis, there ones go overboard didn't give him room.
I don't want in his Shoes that time or now, How much I love his music, I will give him him to walk on same side walk.
I did with One Superstar Of Baseball, There another stars from baseball, back It was young Ken Griffey Jr., He Was playing Bellingham Mariners An Local Farm team for Seattle Mariners that time, He play for few weeks with Team, I was Walking down sidewalk on Holly St In Bellingham, Wa. there there three guys have Mariners coats on and one have number 24 on it, I knew who it was and I never think that person came one biggest stars for Seattle Mariners and Cincinnati Reds, I smile at those guys and they say hello and say have nice day, I walk away to this used recorder store that I buy Elvis LP's.
as Fan of Marniers long time I forgot about that day I was reading about Jr on Wikipedia and something pop on my mind, I got to mean him in person and on Street
That's rare thing today life. whom got meet Elvis are so lucky.
Tom

Memory
10-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I think he needed his fans,but they weren't the reason why he couldn't leave the house.
He got his money from the Fans,buying his records and visit his concerts.Its difficult to find an anawer