PDA

View Full Version : a book

marijaep
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I have a question, since it seems that everyone has been discussing over "the book" (Elvis What Happened?), Sonny and Red and the other MM guys lately

So, everyone
If you were some of the MM guys, would you ever write a book about Elvis ?
If so, what would it contain???
Because, if it contains too many bad stuff.......it's bad lol.
If it contains too many good stuff.....it's a fairytale lol.
I hope you get what I mean :D

What would be the perfect book written about Elvis according to you???
- simple question :lol:

pacer 1966
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
A good question marija....
For me it would have to be a book that contained 'real' stories written from an honest view point.
A mix of both the good and bad would have to be balanced and not self opinionated and hopefuly finally tell THE truth!!

ksimms2
10-02-2007, 02:06 PM
That is what I feel, "Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" is......it's a very good book and it tells their life from beginning to end with Elvis.

Very good thread Marija. I agree with Pacer - I'd write real stories. Problem is, there would still be those that think it's hogwash - like the MM books.

presley31
10-02-2007, 02:09 PM
For me it would have to be a book that contained 'real' stories written from an honest view point.
A mix of both the good and bad would have to be balanced and not self opinionated and hopefuly finally tell THE truth!!

good one steve, its would be better than some of the books l read so far.

Rising Sun
10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
That's a good question Marija (y)(y)
For me personally it would be a book containing only true storys from Elvis' entire life...:D It would be a book where you can look things up and it would contain loads of information;) But for me I think it would be important that if Elvis read the book, he would be happy about it, I mean I wouldn't want a book that contains too much private things from Elvis' point of view.
I haven't read many books yet, so I'm not sure yet what books I should buy and which ones I should avoid... :hmm:
But I think unfortunately we will never get a "perfect" book :'(

Rising Sun

KPM
10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I would not allow Steve Dunleavy to co write the book when his specialty is tabloid jounalism. The "Star" rag never had a more controversial writer than he- so I would put 2 and 2 together and be able to come up with an idea of how the book and Elvis would end up looking.
Lets face it anyone can be made to look bad if you dwell on negatives.
Lets face it anyone can be made to look good by ignoring negatives.
The intent of any book is pretty evident within a couple chapters. The adjectives used and the way moments are "framed" can turn the nicest moment in someones life into a horror story and visa versa. Also to tell a story with no true insight into the inner conflict or inner reasoning can make a pretty one sided account. Balance and objectivity.

marijaep
10-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Hi :D,

I am starting to believe that the "truth" doesn't exist at all. And we can go on and on hoping that we will know it one day, but I think there is no truth.
The truth has already been told somewhere, in some of the books, parts of the so-called truth may be found in books like What Happened , parts of it in some "fairytale" books.

What kind of truth are we searching for in only a person??? --- How he really was? - We will never know. Only those who lived with him know. They write books, yes, but unfortunately we can never be sure if the thing that is written is true or not.

We all became fans because of the music, that's (I believe) the very first thing that drew our attention to Elvis.
And AFTER that we get to know how Elvis was as a person.
I believe, that only stuff that constantly repeat would give us a "true" picture of how Elvis really was.
Even if he was such a bad person (and he wasn't , but he sure had faults) we would still be fans..........how can you resist on such charm???? lol

I think a perfect book, that would tell what we call the truth, doesn't exist.
Because, unfortunately everyone (I am sure) is trying to make the book more interesting for the public, by adding some stuff (good or bad) just to drew the peoples' attention (in a good or a bad way lol )

We can see a part of Elvis' persona in his live concerts too.
But people are like that.....we are all nosy parkers lol...always peeping our noses in his private life, just because we really love him.
Many books, with true details or not, are written...what is done is done.
We will never know if a book is written for money or not...but I am sure there are parts in every book that are true. The question is : Which ones? lol

I hope I am clear.

ReGina_89
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Well kowing the fact that Elvis sent his Private I with money to stop the publication I will stop the publication...

Burning_Love
10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
We all say it will contain 'The truth' so we could say this and that, but no ones gona believe it all, even if it was the truth, because they weren't there. And as always, the will believe another story and not ours.

Tough question, but a good one !
:hug:

marijaep
10-02-2007, 03:37 PM
We all say it will contain 'The truth' so we could say this and that, but no ones gona believe it all, even if it was the truth, because they weren't there. And as always, the will believe another story and not ours.

Tough question, but a good one !

lol, that was the thing I was trying to say up there.
It's hard to write a book that everyone will believe that it's true.
Maybe some book already contain the truth, but we simply don't accept it, because we can't believe in something we haven't seen lol...funny

Burning_Love
10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Lol, yeah Marija. I guess, i wouldn't write a book, i would celebrate his life in another way, not on TV, just, ya know, host Elvis nights, talk to fans and tell them about the man.
I wouldn't write a book. I would keep what i knew private.

marijaep
10-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Lol, yeah Marija. I guess, i wouldn't write a book, i would celebrate his life in another way, not on TV, just, ya know, host Elvis nights, talk to fans and tell them about the man.
I wouldn't write a book. I would keep what i knew private.

Best thing to do.......but then again..........seeing from the fans side(the ones that haven't met and talked to you)...they won't have the truth lol

Burning_Love
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Best thing to do.......but then again..........seeing from the fans side(the ones that haven't met and talked to you)...they won't have the truth lol

Yeah, i see what you mean. This is what makes it a difficult question i guess :blush:
But i wouldn't want to write a book. I would want to be like Ann Margeret.
And i would want to keep his memory alive - in some way other than a book:blush:

Danielle

Diane
10-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Had I been fortunate enough to be close to Elvis I would not have written a book before or after he died. I would have been like Lisa and Ann Margaret and kept my precious memories to myself.

Diane

Suzan
10-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Good ?...nice thread.:D:D:D:D
I think if I were to write a book, I would have discussed it w/Elvis first...cleared it w/him, you know what I mean?
Then I would write a balanced account...and not in a sensationalistic format.

ksimms2
10-02-2007, 04:39 PM
good point Suzan, or how about getting with Elvis and having him put out his story in his own words.....that's what I wish would have happened....

Suzan
10-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Thank you.:D:D:D:D
Yes, that would have been fantastic...and the most honest.:D

Suzan
10-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Larry Geller in his first book (which was ok read but more about him and his philosophy I thought) anyway, he claims it was a book Elvis wanted written and supposedly in Elvis' words but I don't buy that.

KPM
10-02-2007, 05:07 PM
good point Suzan, or how about getting with Elvis and having him put out his story in his own words.....that's what I wish would have happened....
I have said it many times, Elvis also would have had "his perspective on his own life"
Its one thing for anyone close to give a version of an event or story- its another to hear what the object of the story might have to say. There is a lot you can know for sure when you are close to some one-and there is a lot you think you know but maybe really don't understand.
He would have his take on each MM, Priscilla, Colonel, drugs, certain storys that are well known. I'm sure he'd have a story or two about certain people that they would never tell themselves-because human nature is you don't mind dishing dirt on others-but not on yourself. I have also said he would not be immune to the same weaknesses all humans have-slanting things toward your perspective. (all authors of Elvis books included)

Lisarose
10-24-2007, 06:27 PM
How many M&M people are there in ratio to how many have written books about Elvis? It seems to me that there are a great many we haven't heard from. Wonder why that is? Are they more loyal or were they not lucky in getting someone to pick up the option to publish? Were they limited in their association with Elvis?