PDA

View Full Version : ABC's "ELVIS:Viva Las Vegas" a flop ?

King_Creole
09-19-2007, 11:26 PM
From Zapit.com

Steady CBS Takes Tuesday
NBC's 'Biggest Loser' tops in demo
September 19, 2007

'Big Brother 8' winner Dick DonatoFast National ratings for Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2007

Consistent performance from all three of CBS' shows led the network to an overall ratings win Tuesday, but NBC snagged a demographic victory.

CBS averaged a 5.4 rating/9 share among households for the night, beating NBC's 4.9/8. ABC came in third with a 4.3/7, and FOX took fourth at 3.7/6. The CW drew a 2.2/4.

In the adults 18-49 demographic, NBC's 2.9 rating led the way. CBS, 2.4, came in second. ABC, 1.9, was third, followed closely by FOX, 1.8, and The CW, 1.7.

"Power of 10" put CBS on top at 8 p.m. with a 5.2/9. "The Biggest Loser," 4.5/8, finished second in households for NBC, but ABC's "Just for Laughs" (4.4/7) had a few more total viewers. A "House" rerun on FOX was fourth. The season premiere of "Beauty and the Geek" earned a 2.0/3 for The CW.

Hour two of "The Biggest Loser," 5.7/9, moved NBC into the lead at 9 p.m. The finale of "Big Brother 8" scored a 5.5/9 for CBS. ABC remained in third with the special "Elvis: Viva Las Vegas," 4.4/7. A repeat of Monday's "K-Ville" premiere was fourth for FOX, while The CW improved to 2.5/4 with more "Beauty and the Geek."

At 10 p.m., an "NCIS" repeat posted a 5.5/10 for CBS. NBC got a 4.3/8 from a "Law & Order: SVU" rerun, and ABC's Elvis special dipped a little to 4.1/7.

rocknroll
09-20-2007, 04:09 AM
Just shows what shape society is in. I've never watched a full episode of any reality show, ever.

King_Creole
09-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Here is some updated info ...

Variety has reported that the ABC special "Viva Las Vegas" did poorly with only 6.4 Million viewers, a very small number of people watching the show, despite good promo from ABC, looks like the show will be in the top 20 only because the regular programming resumes next week.

Variety's 6.4 Million is very accurate, each point counts for 910,000 households, it did a 7, which means 7x910,000= 6.4 Million.

From other reports coming back from ABC, this television special gave ABC nuthin' to cheer about ...

KPM
09-21-2007, 03:58 PM
In 1973 when Aloha was first aired we had 6 channnels in my area. The networks had the whole ballgame to themselves. Network viewership is so much lower today than in the old days.
Specials are practically non existent-because theres just no call for them anymore. People can watch a live concert event anyday of the week on cable. In the 50s, 60s and 70s you looked foreward to specials by all the great musical performers and comedians of the time-now its not special and there is little promotion of them. The TV Guide would give a rundown of who would have a special during the new season and the anticipation for your favorite performers show would start there. Not today. Cable, satellite dishes, video stores, mail video rental-and last but not least computers have taken the SPECIAL out of Specials.IMO

EP75
09-21-2007, 04:19 PM
In 1973 when Aloha was first aired we had 6 channnels in my area. The networks had the whole ballgame to themselves. Network viewership is so much lower today than in the old days.
Specials are practically non existent-because theres just no call for them anymore. People can watch a live concert event anyday of the week on cable. In the 50s, 60s and 70s you looked foreward to specials by all the great musical performers and comedians of the time-now its not special and there is little promotion of them. The TV Guide would give a rundown of who would have a special during the new season and the anticipation for your favorite performers show would start there. Not today. Cable, satellite dishes, video stores, mail video rental-and last but not least computers have taken the SPECIAL out of Specials.IMO

Very good points.(y) The television setup these days is much more spread out with digital cable and satellite TV than ever before. Besides I disagree with the promotion being good. I started a thread the day of the show complaining about the lack of promotion. They waited too long to run TV spot adds and that killed the project. Sadly though, EPE will see this as no one interested in a special and we can forget about anymroe anytime soon.:'(

Now, that all being said, maybe if Bob Sillerman could work a deal with Time Warner and say the never before seen concert filmed in Richmond, VA in 1972 to be released as a first-time television event with massive promotion, then it could draw in larger numbers. Mainly because it would be a unseen concert and fans alone would be watching. But then that kills the sales department for the DVD release afterwards. So it seems to be a no-win solution.

But then again, 6.4 million isn't all that bad for a documentary about a performer's comeback 30 years after his death.(y)

King_Creole
09-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Very good points.(y) The television setup these days is much more spread out with digital cable and satellite TV than ever before. Besides I disagree with the promotion being good. I started a thread the day of the show complaining about the lack of promotion.

ABC spent plenty of money in promoting this show. Maybe the promo just wasn't good in your neck of the woods ?

Stop trying to justify this program's failure, even with your idol "Sasha" and other lame Hip Hop attempts to bring in huge ratings ... :lmfao:

Now, that all being said, maybe if Bob Sillerman could work a deal with Time Warner ...

Bob Sillerman this, Bob Sillerman that ...

Warner owns the film and footage of Elvis On Tour.

I'm sure if they had wanted, they could have struck up a deal by now. And I'd be betting that you or I will never see the light of day of when the Richmond footage will see a television debut.

Besides, the "Elvis On Tour" DVD is being released anyway ...

But then again, 6.4 million isn't all that bad for a documentary about a performer's comeback 30 years after his death.(y)

Make up your mind already, will you ?

Of note: This so called documentary was about Elvis and Vegas, not Elvis' historical '68 Comeback :!::P

Supertigre
09-24-2007, 07:39 AM
It was a flop because it was complete crap.A bunch of people trying to sing Elvis songs separated by clips of Elvis from his movies but not necessarily in the right context.It was a poorly put together show done on the cheap by someone who knows nothing about Elvis or his fans.

PiersEIN
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Having heard A LOT of negativity about the show before seeing it, I actually didn't think it was bad as all that.

After all it was NOT made for us hard-core Elvis fans who areday know the complete history.
Hopefully it was for a NEW audience - fans of 50 Cent, and Beyonce and Amercan Idol to give them a glimpse of what ELVIS was all about.

In that way I thought it was "OK" -
- although I did have some major complaints about some of the historical rubbish, EPE involvement, Celine Dion dreadfullness etc etc.

I am really glad I went to it expecting nothing....

FYI - EIN long review & reader's feedback here>>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/tvreview_vlv_2007.html (http://www.elvisinfonet.com/tvreview_vlv_2007.html)

Cheers
Piers

rhythmknights
09-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I liked it, but then I'd watch anything with Elvis in it when I can find it. I watched TVLand throughout August!
I don't know about any of the rest of ya'll, but the only reason I knew about the show was because I saw a clip on the morning news. Granted I don't watch alot of TV anyway, & when I do it's MTV or TLC, but I just didn't catch any promos.

EP75
09-24-2007, 09:20 AM
ABC spent plenty of money in promoting this show. Maybe the promo just wasn't good in your neck of the woods ?

Stop trying to justify this program's failure, even with your idol "Sasha" and other lame Hip Hop attempts to bring in huge ratings ... :lmfao:

The program was only a failure to lackluster fans like yourself who don't want to see EP reach a new generation. If it weren't for those lame hip hop artists then how many teenagers would have even considered watching it genius? Those that did watched it to hear what their idols had to say about EP and in the process came away impressed with what they saw and heard. I have read many comments from young adults and hip hop fans complimenting EP after seeing that show. He wasn't the "fat Vegas Elvis" as many believed. We as real fans should be proud of that. Not calling it a failure.

For your information buddy, I don't live in the woods thank you. I stay in the city of Huntsville, AL that happens to be EP's family roots by marriage. The Stanleys are all from here (sad to admit) and the media covers EP a lot here. And there was very little promotion for this special as many nationwide didn't even know about it until the night it aired. Maybe you should do your homework a little better next time.:angry:

And who the heck said I was a Beyonce or "Sasha" fan in the first place? I like some of her songs and she is gorgeous. But that doesn't make her my idol.:angry:

Bob Sillerman this, Bob Sillerman that ...

Warner owns the film and footage of Elvis On Tour.

I'm sure if they had wanted, they could have struck up a deal by now. And I'd be betting that you or I will never see the light of day of when the Richmond footage will see a television debut.

In case you didn't know EPE and Warner had an agreement for the 30th Anniversary Concert event that allowed them to use unseen angels from the That's The Way It Is outtakes. So if that can be done then anything is possible with Billionaire Bob Sillerman at the helm. So in reality it is "Bob Sillerman this and Bob Sillerman that" because with him in charge we are seeing and hearing so much more of EP than ever before. And for years to come expect to hear more of Bob Sillerman this and that.:angry:

Besides, the "Elvis On Tour" DVD is being released anyway ...

Until an official statement is released then it is hearsay. And so what if they release a rehashed version just to say that they released it on DVD only to shut up the fans. If it isn't remastered and featured outtakes or even a complete show, then it isn't worth mentioning.:angry:

Make up your mind already, will you ?

Of note: This so called documentary was about Elvis and Vegas, not Elvis' historical '68 Comeback :!::P

Yes it was about the Vegas comeback. But what exactly led to the Vegas return? The successful TV special in 1968 which is the 68 Comeback. So you need to make up your mind and stop trying to look like a genius instead looking like an ***** for your ranting and personal attacks that you continue to get away with.:angry:

ksimms2
09-24-2007, 09:27 AM
the only thing good about this show were the Elvis clips - other than that - didn't care for it. I liked Toby Keith, but I'm a big country fan.

EP75
09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
the only thing good about this show were the Elvis clips - other than that - didn't care for it. I liked Toby Keith, but I'm a big country fan.

Exactly. Just as young black teenagers who saw it didn't like the country music aspect of the show because their into hip hop. Vice versa. So EP fans need to stop for a second and put themselves into those young teenager's shoes and see things through their eyes.

Walk a mile in their shoes then you will see through them, your own views.(y)

ksimms2
09-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Exactly. Just as young black teenagers who saw it didn't like the country music aspect of the show because their into hip hop. Vice versa. So EP fans need to stop for a second and put themselves into those young teenager's shoes and see things through their eyes.

Walk a mile in their shoes then you will see through them, your own views.(y)

I agree EP75 - that 50 cent and what's the other groups name that did "In The Ghetto" 3 something? I'm sorry it escapes me right now - would definately draw in the hip hop crowd to Elvis.......and i guess you could say same for the country singers on there.....but not being one of the younger elvis fans (I'm 40) I just didn't care for it - you know because we've seen all this before....and it's not new to us. "3-6 Mafia" is that their name? Anyways...it was cool to see young people like 3-6 and 50 talking about Elvis' influence on them though...just wasn't a huge fan of this particular program...they could have certainly done it much better in my opinion.....

Getlo
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
In case you didn't know EPE and Warner had an agreement for the 30th Anniversary Concert event that allowed them to use unseen angels from the That's The Way It Is outtakes.

You mean, like Charlie Hodge perhaps? :lol:

presley31
09-24-2007, 10:45 AM

Whats wrong with charlie hodge?? He was the best guy in the MM.

ksimms2
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM

I think this is a joke because he wrote "angels" and not "angles"...and since Charlie Hodge is deceased....ie....."angel".....get it? Atleast that's the way I took it.....:lmfao:

utmom2008
10-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Whats wrong with charlie hodge?? He was the best guy in the MM.

I think this is a joke because he wrote "angels" and not "angles"...and since Charlie Hodge is deceased....ie....."angel".....get it? Atleast that's the way I took it.....:lmfao:

:lmfao::lmfao: Anyone else wish that Ksimms would back to see us?(y)

You are right Ken....musical specials went the same way as the old variety shows. I remember always tuning in for The Carol Burnett Show and I never missed The Sonny and Cher Show. Today's youth would be bored to tears with programs like that. Do you remember what followed AFH? A musical special by Ann-Margaret.:blush::blush:

smithversusneo
10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I watched the special and enjoyed a lot of it. I think what ruins it (and always will for me) is when artists perform the 'a-typical' Elvis song. Hearing horrible versions of 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'Mystery Train' for example just dragged the whole tribute to Elvis down. And what's with interviewing 50-Cent about Elvis??? I'm so tired of Elvis being compared to rappers because of his use of... dare I say it... 'bling'. Give me a break!(n)

I will admit, Daughtry's version of 'Suspicious Minds' was probably the best performance for me. And again, there were other moments I liked, but unfortunately it was the poor performances that stick in my mind more than not.

And also, the fact that the same old 'TTWII' footage is used over and over and over... sorry, but you can't tell me there's no 'rare' footage from Vegas in the can somewhere.:hmm:

As for the poor ratings... well, as it's been said, it's the poor state of the world we live in when 'reality t.v.' takes over the airwaves... and the ratings.

svn

utmom2008
10-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I watched the special and enjoyed a lot of it. I think what ruins it (and always will for me) is when artists perform the 'a-typical' Elvis song. Hearing horrible versions of 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'Mystery Train' for example just dragged the whole tribute to Elvis down. And what's with interviewing 50-Cent about Elvis??? I'm so tired of Elvis being compared to rappers because of his use of... dare I say it... 'bling'. Give me a break!(n)

I will admit, Daughtry's version of 'Suspicious Minds' was probably the best performance for me. And again, there were other moments I liked, but unfortunately it was the poor performances that stick in my mind more than not.

And also, the fact that the same old 'TTWII' footage is used over and over and over... sorry, but you can't tell me there's no 'rare' footage from Vegas in the can somewhere.:hmm:

As for the poor ratings... well, as it's been said, it's the poor state of the world we live in when 'reality t.v.' takes over the airwaves... and the ratings.

svn

Great post...I agree on all your points!(y)

ehollier
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I think that if ABC had done a shorten version of TTWII, it would have been an awesome ratings hit!!! Maybe Elvis' voice is just too powerful for another person to mimick his singing or that these singers wanted to put to much artistic license with Elvis' already established songs, but lets face it Elvis fans, once Elvis takes a song and makes it his own, there will never be a better or more moving version of it.

JDD
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I didn't watch it because frankly I didn't care about the artists they featured on the show. I don't care to hear them sing, I don't care how they feel about things. It just didn't sound appealing to me. I don't knock them they just aren't for me, unless me not caring about them is a knock, and in that case Knock Knock.

JD