PDA

View Full Version : The future of Elvis' music goin in HD Audio?

keke23
09-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I was talkin to a guy that I went to school with who is a music engineer.

He was tellin me that if you look at the music scene today and how the record sales are at an all time low, it's indication of what's to come. IPods are takin over.

He says he's heard from those in high places that cds are about to become obsolete in the next 5-10 years.

They're gonna be like when vinyl albums were replaced by the compact discs in the 80's.

He thinks that from what he's heard and been told that most artists albums will be released in HD Audio instead of stereo.

He said Intel launched HD Audio for HD networks and that most tv stations are about to go HD and HD Audio in the next few years.

Music releases are next.

I asked him about classic artists like Elvis, The Beatles and Motown, and he said that some, not all, will go HD Audio format eventually.

He thinks if Elvis is to survive this move that his company will go in the HD mode with future releases. But they can't do it with the mono songs. Only stereo mixes.

Anyways, I thought this was very interestin and what impact it may have on Elvis' future sales and releases.

EP75
09-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I read this earlier but my post wasn't posted for some reason. Anyhow I think this is FANTASTIC news as it would allow EP's music to come alive in surround sound 5.1 . I pods I am not too impressed with as far as sound quality goes. About High Def-I just bought a High Definition TV this week and it is AMAZING! They're coming out to my home tomorrow to hook up a Tivo and HD Cable. I can't wait to see all my favorite stations in High Definition! I watched the game last night through the local antenna channels in High Def and the picture quality is unbelievable! It was like I was on the field with the players.

Back to topic-I think EP's concerts would be the best and most logical way to go with this new technology. I think they would sell at record numbers by all the EP fans who would want to upgrade their live CD's from stereo to High Def. I will definitely be one of 'em.(y)

Raised on Rock
09-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Great thread to discuss, and yes, big and radical changes are coming into the next 10 years. Anyway I do not think artist like The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Dylan, and Classic Rock and Jazz records from the 50's and 60's will be ever forgoten, new re-releases will come in the newest formats, just as all Presley materia had had its way trough L.P. super 8, cassette tape, C.D. Beta, VHS, Lasser Disc, DVD and now stuff like the I tunes online store. But of course people at SONY/BMG and E.P.E. would have to be smart enough to make the right moves and pull the best of out of these coming changes. And once again to appeal to the younger generation its a main issue, as some of the older fans would be less and less interested in buy once again what they already got in a new format that they don?t even care about, so...

As for me, being a 27 year old baby, all I can see about these changes is something positive. Although the retro stuff can?t do but gain in charm day by day! got my Ipod but its so cool to to hear the crunch of an L.P. and the warm of a cassette tape when I took the time for that. Even todays great bands like Radiohead choose to record in analog and master the old way because of the warmy sound it gives.

Suzan
09-16-2007, 11:25 PM
I think it will be great to hear. I can't wait.
I'm not as thrilled w/the HD movies though...lol

EP75
09-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Lakeisha they came today and hooked up my new Tivo to my new High Def TV and all I can say is WOW!! I love it!!!! I cannot wait to see Elvis-Viva Las Vegas ABC TV Special in High Definition tomorrow night. I have my Tivo ready to record it while I watch it.(y)

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-17-2007, 04:30 PM
There is sufficient interest in Elvis' back catalog for Sony/BMG to take steps to ensure that an artist of Elvis' caliber with remain at the forefront of technology. As a person in my late 30?s I have seen Elvis? music cross many technological boundaries from video tape, DVD, vinyl, CD & MP3 etc, I do sometimes worry about how the transition will be made?. It is always easier to record a sound via a new band into a new technology; the same cannot always be done with pre-existing material. I have heard some bloody awful CD?s in my time which have been lifted from the masters and laid down in the most atrocious way possible. I would like to see Sony/BMG take the time and effort to ensure that care is taken to maximize the sound quality without losing the warmth that the originals possess. Sometimes artists that have passed on do not get the same attention to detail when all the record label wants to do is make a cheap ?Best Of? album with the minimum amount of layout.